Automatic Partitioning during RIS install

Hey people,

I'm busy implementing a Windows 2003 RIS server. Everything works perfect; installing operating system, drivers, installing applications via script and the SIF files.

But I'm stuck on 1 thing.

I want to partion the 40 GB harddisk in 2 partitions automatically. One 30 GB NTFS partition and one 10 GB FAT32 partition. I've tried everything:

- diskpart -> only runs in DOS mode so adding it to the script doesn't work

- gdisk -> only runs in DOS mode also so adding it to the script doesn't work

- aefdisk -> same problem

- partition magic rescue disks only run in DOS

- WinPE and BartPE only work when you make an unattend cd

Has anybody got some experience with this kind of problem? Ideal situation would be if I boot a client with F12 and then somewhere in the installation proces the client partitions are made. Is there a tool, perhaps a tool extended with a script, that can do this?

At this point I've edited the SIF file so that I can do the partitioning before installation starts and partition magic is installed via the application script so I can do the partitioning afterwards.

Thanks in advance.

Why not just make the partitions on the blue screen setup...just make the use "C" to create them, then install it on one and then format the other when you get into Windows...I don't know how to script that part, so that's all I have...good luck!

Yes that is what I can do at the moment. This isn't a problem when you have to install 1 pc but when you have to install a lot of pc's this becomes a time consuming tasks.

So I would like to automate this process.

• 1 year later...

I'm running into the same problem right now.

I want 2 partitions, C:\ and D:\

Beside that I got the problem, when the PC got a CD/DVD drive the 2nd partition is named E:\

Any chance to bypass that or even to automate the process like the thread author mentioned?

My company forces me to create 2 partitions and use the 2nd one for applications etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

So far

Sebastian

• 3 months later...