windows98 se

dwhite

I have several issues, my sons computer runs windows 98 se it is an upgrade from windows 95. It is a Gateway 166 pent. with 64 mb. He is having trouble going on line and going to websites. We can get on line (comcast High Speed Internet). When he tries to go to a website he gets an error message the system is busy.

Another issue is when we turn the computer on and it is booting up we see a message "The following file is missing or corrupt c:ATAPI\ATAPICD.SYS There is a error in config/sys missing line 1

Another problem he is having is when we try to update norton anti virus 2002 it keeps saying we need to restart the computer.

Somehow I think all these problems are related to norton.

I have run scan disk, uninstalled and reinstalled norton (several times).

Dave

i think youre cpu is to low for the comcast cable,they call for at least a 266. norton really has trouble with alot of systems.i recomend http://www.majorgeeks.com and down load the anti virus personal edition whch is free and has daily updates.if possible i would reformat and do a fresh install of 98se upgrades almost garantee trouble.

almost forgot,youre rwin settings and mtu are probably set to low they are not configured for broadband,for cable it should be set rwin 65545 and mtu 1500.you can get that at http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp its also for cable select the exe file save to desktop make sure you set the settings on the lan that you are using for internet service,reboot and you are set.