Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[Release] Windows XP PowerPacker

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
160 replies to this topic

Siginet

Siginet

Windows XP PowerPacker Creator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
OK according to your cdshell.ini it looks like it was edited as it should have been. Now inside of your folder "G:\PPOutput" there should be 2 folders XPPC and ROPC.

Can you grab these files and zip them and post them for me:

G:\PPOutput\XPPC\txtsetup.sif
G:\PPOutput\XPPC\setupldr.bin
G:\PPOutput\ROPC\txtsetup.sif
G:\PPOutput\ROPC\setupldr.bin
G:\PPOutput\XPPC.DAT
G:\PPOutput\ROPC.DAT

Earlier you stated that you had a couple errors. Can you remember what errors they were and when they occured. Was the error in a dos window or a windows XP window.

If you can... can you post some screen shots of your directory structure?

Thanks

Posted Image
For those of you interested in my next software venture you can check it out here:
www.ITTechware.com

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

moesasji

moesasji

• 49 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04

OK according to your cdshell.ini it looks like it was edited as it should have been.  Now inside of your folder "G:\PPOutput" there should be 2 folders XPPC and ROPC.

Can you grab these files and zip them and post them for me:

G:\PPOutput\XPPC\txtsetup.sif
G:\PPOutput\XPPC\setupldr.bin
G:\PPOutput\ROPC\txtsetup.sif
G:\PPOutput\ROPC\setupldr.bin
G:\PPOutput\XPPC.DAT
G:\PPOutput\ROPC.DAT

I think you're on to something, because I do not have all of the files you mention above. In my G:\\PPOutput\XPPC folder, there's only the file winnt.sif and the G:\PPOutput\ROPC folder is completely empty. The *.DAT files you request from the G:\PPOutput folder are attached to this message.....

I'll post some images of what happens during boot:

Posted Image

After pressing the [P] key, I get the following screen

Posted Image

Then, after pressing the [C] key, I get the following screen

Posted Image

And finally, after either pressing the [D] or [R] key, I get the following error:

Posted Image

Earlier you stated that you had a couple errors.  Can you remember what errors they were and when they occured.  Was the error in a dos window or a windows XP window.

If you can... can you post some screen shots of your directory structure?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the directory structure:

Posted Image

The install folder contains programs I wish to install after XP and was copied to the powerpack using the option in your program.

Hope this can help you trace the things that went wrong ?

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
OK... the problem lies with the BootFolder.exe somewhere. I am going to look into it further and try to figure out why you are having a problem here.

What OS are you using. Is it XP/2000? If so it shouldn't have a problem. If it is Win9x then maybe... cause I have never tested on that syatem. But in theory it should work fine on 9x series.

For some reason the boot folders are not getting filled with the proper files. That is why you get errors durring the hexing part. That is also why you get the ntldr error. Because those files are not getting copied over.

The question is... why?

Can you do this:
Go to your [RUN] box and type:
%TEMP%
then hit enter.

In the temp directory do you see a file called "BootFolder.exe"?

If you don't see the file... I will make a quick mod to the app and post a fixed version online for you to test.

Thanks for your patience

Posted Image
For those of you interested in my next software venture you can check it out here:
www.ITTechware.com

moesasji

moesasji

• 49 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04

What OS are you using.  Is it XP/2000?  If so it shouldn't have a problem.  If it is Win9x then maybe... cause I have never tested on that syatem. But in theory it should work fine on 9x series.

I am using Windows XP Professional (Corporate Edition), SP2 English

For some reason the boot folders are not getting filled with the proper files. That is why you get errors durring the hexing part. That is also why you get the ntldr error.  Because those files are not getting copied over.

The question is... why?

Can you do this:
Go to your [RUN] box and type:

%TEMP%
then hit enter.

In the temp directory do you see a file called "BootFolder.exe"?

If you don't see the file... I will make a quick mod to the app and post a fixed version online for you to test.

Thanks for your patience

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just followed your directions and did not find a BootFolder.exe in my Temp folder (the TEMP folder is C:\TEMP)

Thanks for your persistance !

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
That is not the normal XP temp directory.

It is usually:
"C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp"
or
%TEMP% = "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp"

When you run %TEMP% it sends you to "C:\Temp"?

Well... I will edit my script and see if that will help.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
OK... new version released.

Beta version 1.06

Download HERE
or go to the first post of the thread and find a download link at the bottom.

Fixed a few minor bugs.
Also coded the temp directory a little differently.
Added the newest version of BootFolder.exe

This version of powerpacker was created to hopefully fix moesasji's problem. (Which is a problem I can't seem to recreate at my end. So hopefully this will help.)

@moesasji Please try the new version and let me know if that fixes your problem or not.

Edited by Siginet, 28 June 2005 - 08:02 PM.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

moesasji

moesasji

• 49 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04

That is not the normal XP temp directory.

It is usually:
"C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp"
or
%TEMP% = "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp"

When you run %TEMP% it sends you to "C:\Temp"?

Well... I will edit my script and see if that will help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it's not the normal TEMP directory (that's why I specifically mentioned it in my post). I tweaked XP to use just one folder for TEMP-files (adjusted the temp-variables), since I had constant difficulty finding the TEMP-folders when I needed them.
Thanks for the continuing development on your program. I will try out the new release as soon as humanly possible :)

moesasji

moesasji

• 49 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04

OK... new version released.

Beta version 1.06

@moesasji  Please try the new version and let me know if that fixes your problem or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, but it doesn't solve it. I still get the errormessages on hacking the files setupldr.bin and txtsetup.sif...... The patchprogram reports it can't find these files and when I search my HD for them (during the pack-process, so at the moment the patch-program haults for the error message), I do find them in G:\PPOutput\ROOT\ROPC\I386.
The Folder G:\PPOutput\ROPC is completely empty though (still)

Posted Image

There's nothing with those filenames on my C: drive, neither in my TEMP directory (C:\TEMP) nor in the usual TEMP directories (C:\Document and Setting\...)
All the others files that have to be patched do not return an error message, so I guess those get found and patched fine. Is there maybe something special about the files setupldr.bin and txtsetup.sif ? Where should your program find them when it tries to patch them ?

I did find out BOOTFOLDER.EXE is placed in my Temp folder (C:\TEMP) during the PowerPacker process.

Just to be complete, I will post a screendump of the GUI of PowerPacker as I used it...

Posted Image

I'll ofcourse continue to give you any information you want in tracking this error and am still looking forward to creating my first MuliBoot DVD with PowerPacker (1.07 ?)
Maybe you can inform me on what processes PowerPacker starts / does, so I can try to analyze by way of trial and error where the problem may lie ?

Edited by moesasji, 29 June 2005 - 05:10 AM.

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
Now when you are re-trying to make a pack... are you just having powerpacker overwrite files.? Or are you deleteing the destination directory then using powerpacker? I know BootFolder.exe will not work if there is allready files in it's destination directory. You said there is a winnt.sif file in the directory. Try at least deleteing the ROPC/XPPC/XOPC folders from the root of your destination. Then retry the program.

All I can think is that there is some sort of limitation with the bootfolder.exe tool and the way your system is tweaked. If that is the case there is not much I can do. :( Except if I have time I can use some of my old code which does not use the BootFolder.exe file but runs the first part of windows setup to get the files. Which takes a little longer but will get the job done just the same.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
OK I went ahead and grabbed some of my old code and replaced some of the new code. This version is not using BootFolder.exe to create the boot folder. It is using the regular winnt32.exe. Therefore it will seem as if it is installing windows xp... but really it is only grabbing the needed files to move into the boot folder.

I reccommend most users to use the regular PowerPacker file... but if you are having difficulty createing the boot folder with the original PowerPacker than you can try this one. ;)

Here is the winnt32.exe version of PowerPacker v1.06:

DOWNLOAD

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

moesasji

moesasji

• 49 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04
Siginet,

When I try to download the winnt32 version, I get a "cannot find server" error message. I sent you a PM with the suggestion to use MSN to transfer this file.

VCC

VCC

• PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
I was able to download the winnt32.exe version okay. :thumbup About to run it now. Thanks Siginet for all the hard work.

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
Let me know how it goes. moesasji and I were on msn messanger and he still had the same problem. But when he tried it on a slower computer 800MHz and it worked fine. This is really weird. Because my computer is a 3700+ Athlon 64. Which is very fast. moesasji's computer is a 1.8 with 1gb ram. Yours is a 2.8GHz. I think you need .NET installed to use the bootfolder.exe version... but moesasji has it installed.

I can't seem to re-create this problem on my computer. I will try to go to my office tonight and test it on a few computers there.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
Removed this post.

Posted it here by accident.

Edited by Siginet, 29 June 2005 - 08:32 PM.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
OK... I have now tested on 2 more different computers and everything went through ok. I used the Original PowerPacker v1.06.

I am going to try to re-create this error on another computer now.

@All I need extensive testing to help me work out this issue. Please post here any problems or success storys about my PowerPacker tool.

Thank you to all Beta Testers! I really do appreciate it.

Edited by Siginet, 29 June 2005 - 08:35 PM.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
I've tried to re-create this error on multiple computers now and I can't seem to do it. Every computer I try it on does the job perfectly. I'm not saying the bug isn't there... but it is kind of hard to re-code something when you don't know exactly where the problem is. I will keep trying it on every computer I get a chance to try it on... and I will try to better the error checking code in the program.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

VCC

VCC

• PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
You know, I wouldn't put it past me that I'm doing something wrong myself :huh: . I've downloaded the winnt32 version again and tried it again. Still getting the error msg about the hptmv6 file during the winnt32 (Scare) portion of the build. I also noticed that BTS's Driver Pack is choosing the 3rd option instead of the 2nd option that I had asked for originally. I'm still shaky on which option is best for me. I've installed .NET to see if that would make any difference but I still need to try the non-winnt32 version and find out.

VCC

VCC

• PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
Oops, my bad, noticing the 3 in the wrong place. That's STEP 3, not option 3. I guess I need more COFFEE to wake my but... up. :blink:

VCC

VCC

• PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
:unsure: With the winnt32 version I'm still getting the error: Error opening file setupldr.bin & txtsetup.sif during the HEX editing portion. I decided to try the User Attended option without the BTS DriverPacks to see if I still received the hptmv6 error, which I didn't, and that leaves me with wondering if it's either my Drivers Pack or my WINNT.SIF file.

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
The hptmv6 is caused by the Mass Storage DriverPack. It is a flaw in the newest version of the DriverPacks.
More info can be found HERE. This error is not related to the PowerPacker program. I tried to email you to let you know... but You must not have received my email?

As for the txtsetup.sif and setupldr errors... I can't figure out why you get these errors with the original PowerPacker V1.06.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with user permissions on the computer itself? Maybe there is an AntiSpyware/Antivirus program killing part of the script?

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

VCC

VCC

• PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined 01-June 05
Okay, I'm fired up!!! :w00t: I killed the Symantec Antivirus (Corp. Ed.) 9.02 and ran the non-WINNT32 version. IT WORKS!!! So far, so good. Without the Driver packs. I'll remove the Mass Storage driver pack and give it another shot without them. Question: Siginet - Do you create your builds without the Mass Storage Driver pack?

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
I used to create my builds without the mass storage DP... But recently they have gotten pretty good. I have edited the DriverPack batch files to fix the problem you are posting. If I can recall what I fixed I will post it. I usually do 3 different Packs for each OS Version/Edition. One Unattended with DP, One Unattended W/O DP, and one Regular W/O Unattended and W/O DP.

This way if I come across a system that does not like the DP I can choose the option W/O DPs. Or if I need to use Windows XP repair I use the Regular load. ;)

I have been thinking about adding another option to PowerPacker to create a Tri-Pack which would automatically create all three packs in one run. ;) But that is hopefully for a release some time in the future.

BTW... That sucks if Symantec 9.02 is the culprit! I currently use Symantec 9.03 and I have no probs. But hopefully we found the issue. Somehow I have got to fix the code so that doesn't cause a problem. Cause I wouldn't want to turn off my AV for anything. :blink:

Edited by Siginet, 30 June 2005 - 06:00 PM.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

moesasji

moesasji

• 49 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04

OK... I have now tested on 2 more different computers and everything went through ok.  I used the Original PowerPacker v1.06.

I am going to try to re-create this error on another computer now.

@All  I need extensive testing to help me work out this issue.  Please post here any problems or success storys about my PowerPacker tool.

Thank you to all Beta Testers! I really do appreciate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Siginet,

I'm afraid I have to report that further testing did not yet solve the ntldr.bin and txtsetup.sif-patching problems on my end.
I tried disabling the virus scanner (AVG) and all ad-aware programs, but that didn't help. Then I tried a safe boot, but also in that environment the errors popped up.
I then continued to do an install under a virtual environmet, using VMWare, but als in this virtual environmet, the error pops up. Finally I replaced my soure input disc for another XP source input disc, but this did no good either.... I am running out of options to test: do you have any suggestions ?

BTW, in all tests I use the original PowerPacker 1.06beta (bootfolder.exe edition)

Moesasji

Edited by moesasji, 03 July 2005 - 10:17 AM.

moesasji

moesasji

• 49 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04
GOOD NEWS (hopefully travels fast).

Siginet and me have solved my problem of not being able to use PowerPacker 1.06. :thumbup

Whatever I tried, I kept getting erors on patching the ntldr.bin and txtsetup.sif.

After some experimenting and thinking, we resolved the problem by uninstalling XPIze from my sytem. XPize tweaked the commandline (cmd.com) and it seems therein lies the problem.... there appear to be compatibilityproblems between XPize and .NET.

My thanks and respect to Siginet for his support and determination; it did the trick and I am looking forward to building my first Multiboot DVD now using PowerPacker 1.06 :w00t:

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
Congrats!

It was a long week for us! But we finally found the issue. moesasji and I spent quite a few long nights over msn messanger trying to figure out the problem. A huge thank you to him... because without his patience the issue may have never been found.!

Thanks moesasji!

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com