Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[Release] Windows XP PowerPacker

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
160 replies to this topic

Siginet

Siginet

Windows XP PowerPacker Creator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
Now there is a bug in the DriverPacks 5.07* Base when using the Mass Storage drivers. That does not add entries correctly to the dosnet.inf file. So if you use PowerPacker do not add the mass storage drivers or you will have problems when you begin installing it. I tried to find out where in the DP scripts it is wrong but I have no clue. My guess is FEdit is not removing old entries like it should.

Until this issue is fixed you can use PowerPacker as long as you do not use the Mass Storage drivers.

Posted Image
For those of you interested in my next software venture you can check it out here:
www.ITTechware.com

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
OK. It looks like all of the bugs have been worked out now. I have written my own Dosnet.inf parser for PowerPacker... so now there is no more need for BootFolder.exe (Thanks Nazgul for allowing me to use it untill I wrote my own version.). My parser is based off of the same idea... but made especially for use with PowerPacker. Since I wrote my parser in a different code language there is no need to have MS Framework .NET installed on your system, There should not be incompatabilities with Xpize CMD mod anymore, and there should be less chance of antivirus/antispyware apps looking at PowerPacker as a false positive. ;)

I think this release should be the best and most complete version as of yet. So... I decided to make this release "PowerPacker v1.0 RC1". If no bugs are reported this version may become the full release. :)

Please test it out and reply here with your thoughts, bugs, questions, comments, and accomplishments with PowerPacker.

Thanks to everyone who gave me input and helped me create this tool that I think a lot of people will enjoy.

Posted Image
For those of you interested in my next software venture you can check it out here:
www.ITTechware.com

moesasji

moesasji

• 24 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04

I think this release should be the best and most complete version as of yet. So... I decided to make this release "PowerPacker v1.0 RC1". If no bugs are reported this version may become the full release. :)

Please test it out and reply here with your thoughts, bugs, questions, comments, and accomplishments with PowerPacker.

Thanks to everyone who gave me input and helped me create this tool that I think a lot of people will enjoy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Siginet,

I have to agree with your assumption that 1.o RC1 is the most complete version as of yet. I have tested it by making a multiboot DVD with an attended and unattended setup (the last one with all DriverPacks included), and it worked flawlessly. Much obliged for all the work you put into it !

Now that we have it working, maybe we can start requests on making it more configurable ?
I, for example, would like it if the multiboot graphical screen can be a screen of my own choice. I would also like it if I get presented one screen (directly aftre the graphical screen) on which setup to boot (instead of the tree-like structure you have implemented now). Furthermore, I would like it if you can incorporate a message straight after the graphical screen, that if you don't press Enter within x seconds, the PC will boot from the HD instead of the DVD/CD (or even better, can you make booting to the HD optional ?)

Ofcourse, if you continue development, I will be glad to assist you with testing. As you have found out, my technical skills and knowledge of this subject is limited, but I can and will test everything you put out :whistle:

Thanks again and good luck on further development,

Moesasji

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
Actually I have planned to make the Menu system better too. Now that you mentioned it I will work on that aspect. The original menu system was a throw together. It was working so I used it. As for the so many seconds and it boots to the HD... that is allready implimented. (At least it should be... it always worked for me.) The tree format may have to be the way it works... unless I can figure out a different way to code it. See... whenever a new pack is made... sections of the menu's .ini file are deleted to activate that feature. I did it in a tree format so that it will me always organised. I didn't have the tree format in the beginning and whenever I made a new pack that was the order of the list (Which was sloppy).
For instance if I made a WinXP Pro Corp With DP... that was the first in the list, Then a Home Retail Without DP... that was the second etc... etc... To me that way was not useable. But I agree the menu needs to be reshaped. ;)

In the mean time... if you have knowledge of the cdshell.ini you can costumize it how you like... then when you have finished createing packs you can overwrite the old one.

I have many different plans for powerpacker (Like integrating RyanVM's Update packs) but I am running out of space to deal with. The gui window needs to be able to fit inside of a screen resolution of 800/600. If I make the gui much larger then it may not fit. I have thought about using tabs for different sections. But... I think since so far it is working flawlessly... I might add a little picture at the right side of the gui... to give it more of a look... then release it as the full version. Then I can start coding v2.0 which will be made to fit more of everyones requests.

My vision of PowerPacker is that it will do a lot of the things people learn at MSFN.ORG. But mainly based on creating multiboot disks.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

enuffsaid

enuffsaid

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Joined 26-December 03
Good work Siginet. This sounds like a fantastic tool! Will give it a try.

moesasji

moesasji

• 24 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04

Good work Siginet. This sounds like a fantastic tool! Will give it a try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second this compliment to Siginet and applaud his plans to continue development and broaden it to a tool that is able to implement a lot of the great MSFN-tricks and techniques.
And as a tip to enuffsaid; I doubt that you will run into problems trying out the PowerPacker 1.0 RC1-program, but if you do, you can rely on great support by Siginet. I have found out for myself that with his support and enthusiasme, any problems occurring with his tool will be solved quickly.

I hope a lot more MSFN-posters and MSFN-readers will give PowerPacker a try and report their results and suggestions in this forum.

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
Thanks a lot for the compliments moesasji! :) I aprreciate it. I hope evryone enjoys the program as much as we do.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

moesasji

moesasji

• 24 posts
  • Joined 15-August 04
While you are receptive for compliments, I will try a new suggestion too :-)

Could you implement an option in PowerPack to run a batch-file of choice between building the packs and compilin them into an ISO. That way I would be able to automatically apply changes that need to be made (such as adjusting the winnt.sif after Bashrat's method was applied and copying some extra info (specific to one of the packs on the DVD) into the package.
Ofcourse I could run such a batch file myself between packing and building an ISO, but I would like to be able to build the multiboot DVD completely withing PowerPacker; through the PowerPacker GUI I would also be easily reminded I have to make some adjustments (using my batch-file) before building an ISO from the packages ?

I hope you understand what I mean ?

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
That is a good idea. I have an idea how I can easily do this for the time being... then I will create a better way of doing this for v2.0.

I will see what I can come up with soon. I am going to be buisy for the next couple of days though. If I have time tonight I may put something together.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

ccfly

ccfly
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 02-May 04

That is a good idea.  I have an idea how I can easily do this for the time being... then I will create a better way of doing this for v2.0.

I will see what I can come up with soon.  I am going to be buisy for the next couple of days though. If I have time tonight I may put something together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any chances that this PowerPack works with Windows 2000 too ?

BTW, thanks for the greate work !

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
It was made for winXP... because the DriverPacks are made for XP...

But it may work with 2000 because the DP kind of work for 2000. But all of the options are for XP... so you could just select an xp option even though you are using 2000. I am pretty sure it will work with 2000 without the DPs. ;)

In a later version I am thinking of adding 2000 support 2003 support and x64 support.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
Check it out...
Windows XP PowerPacker v1.0 RC1 has been posted at www.betanews.com!

HERE

It has only been there for about a day and it has been downloaded over 1,000 times! And is rated 4.3 out of 5!!!

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

Check it out...
Windows XP PowerPacker v1.0 RC1 has been posted at www.betanews.com!

HERE

It has only been there for about a day and it has been downloaded over 1,000 times!  And is rated 4.3 out of 5!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good job! ;)

P.S.: how long did it take to get your files verified there? At tucows it takes MONTHS.

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
I didn't even put it there. :) I have no idea how it got there. Sombody must have saw it here and put it there. I am suprised the DriverPacks are not there..??!!

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Telenut

Telenut

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 24-February 05
Nice program! (I guess)
Had some time today to test is. Some remarks:
It's not easy to understand the main screen. But it's ok for most of the people over here I guess :-)
A tutorial for changing the bootscreen would be nice to. And as said before: the tree structure is not so nice .

I've just did my fist test in VMware and had this BSOD error: Session3_initialization_failed

let's try again :)

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05

Nice program! (I guess)
Had some time today to test is. Some remarks:
It's not easy to understand the main screen. But it's ok for most of the people over here I guess :-)
A tutorial for changing the bootscreen would be nice to. And as said before: the tree structure is not so nice .

I've just did my fist test in VMware and had this BSOD error: Session3_initialization_failed

let's try again :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bsod you received... I'm not sure what caused it. When did you get this error? Did you use Nlite at all? Did you integrate anything into the xp files? What type of XP are you trying to install? With or without DPs? Please post as much information as you can. ;) Thanks.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Telenut

Telenut

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 24-February 05
I used nLite, so I guess that's the 'problem'. With or without the DP's.
What exactly causes the problem is something I'll try to find out now.

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05
OK everybody... I have finished codeing Windows XP PowerPacker 1.0 RC2! :D
This one I did not have to fix any bugs... I just added some cool features, a logo to the right side of the gui, and some donation buttons (Just incase anyone is feeling thoughtful. ;)

The cool new features are by request.

I have added options to run your own batch files within different periods of the packing process.

Here is a quote from what I have added to the help file:

Running extra scripts:
It is now possible to run 4 different batch files durring the packing process.
PREPACK.BAT: Create a batch file that you would want to run before the driverpacks are installed and just after the I386 directory is copied over to the pack. Name this file "PREPACK.BAT" and put it in your "Extra Pack Files" directory. This file will be copied over to the pack at the same level as the I386 folder so that you can run commands there.

PREROOT.BAT: Create a batch file that you would want to run before the driverpacks are installed and just after the I386 directory is copied over to the pack. Name this file "PREROOT.BAT" and put it in your "Extra Root Files" directory. This file will be copied over to the root of your destination so that you can run commands there.

AFTERPACK.BAT: Create a batch file that you would want to run as the last step of the packing process. Name this file "AFTERPACK.BAT" and put it in your "Extra Pack Files" directory. This file will be copied over to the pack at the same level as the I386 folder so that you can run commands there.

AFTERROOT.BAT: Create a batch file that you would want to run as the last step of the packing process. Name this file "AFTERROOT.BAT" and put it in your "Extra Root Files" directory. This file will be copied over to the root of your destination directory so that you can run commands there.

These options are great for making everything unattended. You can now use windows XP SP1 as your source and have a batch file which integrates SP2 to it before it integrates the drivers etc... :)

Also... people can release batch files that they have made as addons for PowerPacker.

For now that will be fine... but in a later release I will make it so you can run any kind of file (Not just a .bat file). Then I will make extra tools that you can use with powerpacker (like integrating RyanVM's XP Updates).

I would upload this fine release for everybody now... but it looks like something is wrong with my ftpserver and it doesn't allow me to upload right now. :( So hopefully the new version will be released sometime today.

Does anybody have a little extra webspace that I can upload this to as a mirror site?

Edited by Siginet, 10 July 2005 - 12:56 PM.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

MHz

MHz

Just simple

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  • Joined 02-August 04
Hi Siginet,

Nice little program, you have created. I have started it up, for a look. I notice that someone cannot operate the program without closing the helpfile first. Perhaps you could change this? Also, when browsing for a folder, the gui remains enabled. This allows guigetmsg to continue adding to the stack.
I will let you know of other issues, when I get to do some packing.

Martin L

Martin L

我叫马丁

• Patrons
  • 2,563 posts
  • Joined 09-July 03
here you have a mirror: http://www.msfn.org/...er_v1.0_RC2.zip

nice program, thanks :)

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05

Hi Siginet,

Nice little program, you have created. I have started it up, for a look. I notice that someone cannot operate the program without closing the helpfile first. Perhaps you could change this? Also, when browsing for a folder, the gui remains enabled. This allows guigetmsg to continue adding to the stack.
I will let you know of other issues, when I get to do some packing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I noticed that it does not disable the gui in the background and that is a small bug that I needed to fix. I will make sure that I fix it for the next release. ;) Also the gui is not disabled during the packing process which I need to fix. Thanks for reminding me. I didn't even think about the issue when using the help file. Both good points. Thank You very much!

here you have a mirror: http://www.msfn.org/...er_v1.0_RC2.zip

nice program, thanks :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for this mirror I appreciate it a lot! It will definatly come in handy!

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

carputer fan

carputer fan
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04
I am testing this program and having some problem. see the attached error file.

After I selected the output directory and leave the field, program crash.

My system setup was: XP pro with SP2

I tried again with XP pro with SP1 it works without any problem.

Any help....

Attached Files

KuDoZ

KuDoZ

• 12 posts
  • Joined 09-November 03
Wonfderful program I must agree, but I'm having a problem here...

I've added two XP Corporate installations (one nLited with SP2 etc). These were all built fine and I packaged the ISO to find it was too large to burn.

Going back through the directories I removed some apps to fix that, however, I can't simply run the "Package ISO" command now can I?

From what I understand you have to have JUST added a pack (and not left the program) before you can package?

Cheers,

Scott

EDIT- Scratch that... it DOES work, but I have to set all the parameters to the last "Pack" input...

Edited by KuDoZ, 12 July 2005 - 06:11 AM.

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05

I am testing this program and having some problem. see the attached error file.

After I selected the output directory and leave the field, program crash.

My system setup was:  XP pro with SP2

I tried again with XP pro with SP1 it works without any problem.

Any help....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have never seen this kind of error. My guess is it must be some sort of computer side error. :( The program was built and tested on WinXP SP2. I have never tested it on SP1. All I can think is check on anything that may block the program from doing things. Have you ever had viruses on your computer or spyware? That error seems like it may be caused by a damaged system. I could be wrong... but I have no idea why you would get that kind of error. Please keep me posted.

Wonfderful program I must agree, but I'm having a problem here...

I've added two XP Corporate installations (one nLited with SP2 etc). These were all built fine and I packaged the ISO to find it was too large to burn.

Going back through the directories I removed some apps to fix that, however, I can't simply run the "Package ISO" command now can I?

From what I understand you have to have JUST added a pack (and not left the program) before you can package?

Cheers,

Scott

EDIT- Scratch that... it DOES work, but I have to set all the parameters to the last "Pack" input...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you go to package an ISO you must only point to your destination. All of the other options are not needed. But it needs to know what to package. ;) Also... make sure you have enough space on the drive you are creating your image on. It must have enough space to create the full size of the disk before optimisation or cdimage will turn off.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

Siginet

Siginet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 22-January 05

I notice that someone cannot operate the program without closing the helpfile first. Perhaps you could change this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This bug has been fixed in Windows XP PowerPacker v1.0 RC3

Also, when browsing for a folder, the gui remains enabled. This allows guigetmsg to continue adding to the stack.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This bug has been fixed in Windows XP PowerPacker v1.0 RC3

The maximize button is now disabled as well.
And a few other minor but annoying bugs fixed.
Windows XP PowerPacker RC3 should be released sometime tommorrow. ;)

Once v1.0 full is released I will begin writeing plugins.

Posted Image
www.ITTechware.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users