winnt.sif timezone issue

Guest tomblik

Guest tomblik

Hi,

I used the MSFN tutorials to slipstream SP-1 and build an unattened install (provide defaults) of Windows XP. I have never been able to get the timezone setting to work correctly. No matter what I put in for my timezone, it always reverts to Pacific Time during the install and I have to reset it to Eastern Time. I have attatched my winnt.sif with my serial "X"ed out. Do any of you guys see my problem? A little help will be greatly appreciated.

tomblik

winnt.SIF.txt

i dont know if this applies to you, but whenever i test my U-CD in VMWare, I have this problem. However, in a Real-World test, it works fine. One of the weird things with VMWare.

this is the important section as input in my Winnt.sif, always works for me..

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword="whatever"
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=35
   OemSkipWelcome=1

Guest tomblik

I tried it as 035 and it didn't change anything. I tried to view my attatched winnt.sif file and it didn't work for me so I am going to post it here in my reply as text. Maybe I have made a rookie mistake and am too close to the situation to see my error.

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=No
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   FileSystem=*
   UnattendSwitch="yes"
   WaitForReboot="No"

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword="password"
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=35
   OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
   ProductID=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
   FullName="User"
   OrgName="Crazy Straws"

[RegionalSettings]
   LanguageGroup=1
   Language=00000409

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

As you can see it is a very simple ProvideDefault setup. I am trying this in VMWare, MS Virtual PC, and in real world installs and I always have the same issue. I can work around it, but I would like this to be right instead of simply inconvenient. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

tomblik

[GuiUnattended]
   TimeZone=35

This is what I've had in my ua from day 1 (I'm also EST) and its always worked fine. from your post the only difference that i can see is i'm using an oem disc w/ sp2 as my source and i enter my area code under

[TapiLocation]

AreaCode=

but i doubt either of those has anything to do with it. did the time zone via winnt.sif work prior to slipstreaming your disc?

Guest tomblik

I haven't tried it without the slipstreamed service pack. I will try that this weekend. Can anyone post the text of their working winnt.sif text (without your serial of course)? Thanks.

tomblik

Guest tomblik

Someone else had this problem before. I just found their thread. Here it is: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=27729&hl=

I don't know if there was ever a real solution to the problem. Basically, a "ProvideDefaults" install doesn't work well with the TimeZone setting. I have no idea why, and I have no idea if there is a valid solution. Your guess is as good as mine. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Jason

p.s. Ghostrider, I use bor3d's utility to create my winnt.sif.

yea, that link is to a post I made:

Solution:

If you do a ProvideDefaults, it will NOT work. If you do a FullUnattended it WILL. I think it has something to do with which lines are used for which type of install (?).

Your problem is in this line:

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=ProvideDefault

Change it to:

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended

Use DefaultHide instead...not as intrusive to your preference as using FullUnattended...

This is exactly as I have it...(removing the unneeded stuff)

[Unattended]
    UnattendedMode = DefaultHide

[GuiUnattended]
    TimeZone = 035
    OEMSkipRegional = 1
    OEMSkipWelcome = 1

Someone else had this problem before.  I just found their thread.  Here it is:  http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=27729&hl=

I don't know if there was ever a real solution to the problem.  Basically, a "ProvideDefaults" install doesn't work well with the TimeZone setting.  I have no idea why, and I have no idea if there is a valid solution.  Your guess is as good as mine.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

Jason

p.s.  Ghostrider, I use bor3d's utility to create my winnt.sif.

i have my winnt.sif file set to fullunnattended but because of certain settings i have in the winnt.sif file it is actually a partial anyway so just tell it to be unnattended. B)

Bor3d's util will do the job too... :whistle: