blank screen w/ res above 1024x768

Brando569

hey ppl my computers acting strange, i just hooked up my new dell 2005fpw LCD monitor to my Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 card and it will display all resolutions below 1024x768 but nothing above it! i installed all of the latest drivers for the card and the monitor and it seemed to make no difference. the 5200 was only made a few years ago so im sure it supports resolutions above 1024x768, infact i could get 1280x1024 to work on my old CRT but always thought it was too small and was a strain on my eyes. now that i have this 20" widescreen LCD monitor i want to go to a higher resolution so it looks more crisp and all that good stuff but whenever i select anything higher it goes to a black screen, sits there for 15 secs then goes back to my old resolution! BTW the max resolution of the monitor is 1680x1050. i have a feeling its a problem with my video card, because my dad has the same monitor (with a dell XPS Gen4) attached to an ATI X850 XT and it works perfectly (as if i should expect anything less of a video card costing more than certain used cars! the stupid video card costs about $650 :wacko: ) so yea i should expect differences between my dads ATI card ($650) and my Nvidia card ($53) but dont you guys think that i should at the most be able to select 1280x0124?

What order did you install the drivers for the monitor and video card? I would recommend installing the video card first, and then the monitor. Most monitor drivers will "tell" the video card driver the resolution that they need to work properly.

It could also (unfortunately) be a problem with the video card being incompatible. I would contact Dell support and nVidia for more answers.