Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

[App] Boot Folder creation

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Nazgul

Nazgul

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
I've been busy trying to create my own Multi-Boot DVD using the Creating a Multi-Boot DVD tutorial.
One of the things that annoyed me with that was the given method to create a Boot Folder, because I think messing with you boot.ini doesn't really win a price for elegance. So I started looking for an alternative method.
As a result I created a small application (which requires the Microsoft .NET 1.1 Framework) of about 32 KB, which creates the Boot Folder for you.

It asks for a folder containing the Windows files for which you want to create a Boot Folder, for example: D:\AIO-DVD\SETUP\XP\Professional.
And it asks you to select a folder that you want to use as a Boot Folder, for example: D:\AIO-DVD\PRO1\.
If you then press the 'magic' button, it automatically copies the required files to that folder.

The application can also be used from a script:
start /wait BootFolder.exe /u /f SourcePath DestinationPath

Switches:
 /u          Unattended - Don't show the GUI and start the process directly 
             (Note that the GUI does pop-up in case of errors or invalid parameters)
 /f          Force - Don't verify that the ouput folder is empty
             (Note that this option isn't available through the GUI, but it will affect the GUI)
 SourcePath  The folder which contains the Windows files for which you want to create a bootfolder
 TargetPath  The empty folder where you want to copy the bootfolder files to

I've tested it on the following Windows versions, but it should work on others as well:
- Windows XP Professional SP2 English
- Windows XP Professional SP2 Dutch
- Windows Server 2003 English

History:

1.3 (08-07-2005)
- Fixed a problem when the same file was referenced more than once in dosnet.inf
- Added the /f option, to skip the 'target is empty' verification

1.2 (13-06-2005)
- Reworked Copy code, because of instability with that code

1.1 (11-06-2005)
- Added 64-bit windows bootfolder support

1.0 (14-05-2005)
- Initial release

Attached Files

Edited by Nazgul, 08 July 2005 - 02:45 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Screwz Luse

Screwz Luse

• PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 19-November 03
Awesome stuff. I'll try it out later today or tomorrow. I was actually going to be looking for a similar utility today anyway... heh..

Nazgul

Nazgul

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
So far there have been 20+ downloads, but only 1 reply.

I was hoping for some more user experiences with it.

rikgale

rikgale

uA lover

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Joined 01-November 04
I'll give it a try next time I'm working on my multi-boot dvd. This however will have to wait until after I have finished the UA cd.

Can you give an example of:

The application can also be used from a script, by passing the source and destination folders as well as an /u (unattended) option as command line arguments.

ta

Rik

Nazgul

Nazgul

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
I use the following part of my UA-DVD script to call my app:
REM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REM --- Create BOOT Folders -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REM -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF NOT EXIST E:\Work\PRO1 (

MD E:\Work\PRO1

)

START /wait E:\Tools\BootFolder.exe /u E:\Work\SETUP\XP\Professional\US\Attended\Base E:\Work\PRO1

johny_cale

johny_cale
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 23-May 05
Hi

I have testing this Tool to make my Bootfolder and after this i install with this Bootfolder Windows XP.
No Problems with install.

Thanks for this very nice Tool. :thumbup :thumbup

(sorry, for my bad english)

ciao
johny_cale

Nightwalker

Nightwalker
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 21-May 04
Thank you for the Prog.
Can i use it also for x64??

Nazgul

Nazgul

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
I haven't tried it on x64, because I don't have one available to me.

But if you could attach your dosnet.inf file, I'd be able to see if Microsoft changed anything that 'breaks' my tool.

@johny_cale: Great to hear it worked for you. :)

fifogigo

fifogigo
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04
Nice program, I tried it a couple times. First time worked with no problem, everytime after it would say that there was no dosnet.inf eventhough there was indeed one.

Nazgul

Nazgul

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
@fifogigo: Did you restart the program between those tries, or did you do them after each other?

fifogigo

fifogigo
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04
I've tried restarting the program, i've also tried restarting the system. when that didn't work i tried clearing out temp files. It made no difference.

Nazgul

Nazgul

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
I'm unable te reproduce your problem.
Are you sure you're pointing at the root of your Windows folder and not to the I386 folder?

fifogigo

fifogigo
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04
Yes, i'm in the windows root, i've tried in the i386 directory as well. i've also tried to use subst to try to get it to see the windows root as a stand alone drive. Is there some other check in the program that may be tripping it.

Nazgul

Nazgul

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
 private bool VerifySource()
  {
 	 if(Directory.Exists(SourceText.Text))
 	 {
    if(File.Exists(SourceText.Text + @"\I386\dosnet.inf"))
    {
   	 return true;
    }
    else
    {
   	 ErrorLabel.Text="The specified Source folder does not contain a DOSNET.INF file!";
   	 CreateButton.Enabled = false;
   	 ErrorLabel.Visible = true;
   	 return false;
    }
 	 }
 	 return false;
  }
This is the only piece of code that triggers that error.
It first checks if the specified directory existst and if it does, if it contains a dosnet.inf in a subdirectory called I386.

I can't figure out what could be causing your problem.

fifogigo

fifogigo
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 24-March 04
I actually had a friend try this out, and it seems to happen only when it's windows with sp1, sp2 works.

--=ddSHADOW=--

--=ddSHADOW=--

--=ddSHADOW=--

• PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Joined 08-August 04
tnx will try it :D
Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb - N1K

Lost Soul

Lost Soul

Snap ... Crackle ... Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • Joined 12-December 03
im gonna give this a try,, have you had any problems using it with windows 2003 server, i noticed in your post it says it works but was there any complications ?

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But, it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

- Winston Churchill

Lost Soul

Lost Soul

Snap ... Crackle ... Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  • Joined 12-December 03
n/m sorry for the question,, your program works great nice work :)

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But, it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

- Winston Churchill

cyberpunkus2007

cyberpunkus2007
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 02-June 05
:thumbup Thanks... I'm happy that i don't have to do it the old way... it sounded pointless too me since this great program go by that!!! :thumbup

bombtrack

bombtrack

boooom

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 02-January 04
thx for the nice tool, will try it out soon
Posted Image

LispWarez

LispWarez

• 36 posts
  • Joined 07-December 04
has anyone tested it on an x64 bit setup yet? i have an x64 bit setup but no PC to test it with. If any1 has had any luck with it plz post it. thanks

LispWarez

LispWarez

• 36 posts
  • Joined 07-December 04
ok it doesnt work on 64 bit OSs because the directory structure is different. most of the files are in an AMD64 folder and not the i386 folder. maybe if you can post the source on here i can have a look and try mod it so it can work with 64 bit.

Nazgul

Nazgul

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
LispWarez, could you post your dosnet.inf file and it's location within the Windows source?

I already made some changes in my code to support 64-bit Windows, but I can't verify it, because I don't have a 64-bit Windows CD. With your info I can verify it and will post an updated version.

bombtrack

bombtrack

boooom

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 02-January 04
@LispWarez even if this awesome tool were able to create the x64 boot files there is no way to integrate the x64 into a multiboot CD, since the modified setupldr.bin will not be excepted

@Nazgul i have sent you a PM for the dosnet.inf's i hope you will add x64 support, even though including to a multibot is not possible, at the moment, but who knows... mabey this gets fixed soon.
Posted Image

Nazgul

Nazgul

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 02-January 05
@bombtrack I've downloaded your files and will take a look at them today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users