98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

A suggestion to MDGx : in your batches you could check for the DOS shell being indeed Command.com and not some replacement, lest people get into trouble; while installing a reduced SE2ME for the USB components, I got caught by such a problem with COPY /Y not understood by my shell being NDOS (a 4DOS variation). Fortunately I spotted the problem and since I'm "fluent" in DOS twas a no brainer to correct for it.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of checking that Microsoft's "command.com" is in memory and is indeed the active DOS command interpreter, a warning on the screen or at least in the documentation is needed IMHO to the effect that this batch must be run by MS command.com *only*.

Regards,

--

Ninho

Edited by Ninho

It's has something to do with 98SE2ME. I noticed it imediately after installing it.

When I copy large files form a coputer with WinXP sometimes transfer starts after a long delay (~40s). During this time I noticed high CPU usage. CPU is used by the program used to copy the file (Explorer window, Total Commander, etc.). After this delay trasfer rate is OK.

If this delay does not happen, transfer starts with high speed but the speed decreases gradually after transfer starts to ~1MB/s or less for ~30s. Then, suddenly goes back to normal and everything is OK for the rest of the transfer.

PS: Sorry for my english. :unsure:

My System Properties comes up with Windows98SE whereas 'Run winver' (as suggested by MDGx) comes up with Windows Millenium! How come so? I have installed W98SE2ME and Gape's latest SP.
After you install 98SE2ME options 1 or 2, you'll have WINVER.EXE 4.90.3000 from WinME CD into %windir%. That's why winver returns "Windows Millennium". ;)

This is just a "cosmetic" change, will not affect the way patches/updates/fixes are installed, no matter what.

If you wish to have winver.exe display "Windows 98" [original file], just extract it from the CAB into %windir% to overwrite the one from WinME [example]:

extract /Y X:\WIN98\WIN98_47.CAB winver.exe /L %windir%

Replace X with your actual CD/DVD drive letter or with the drive letter and directory name where the Win98 SE CABs reside on your computer.

But [thank you Petr ;)] kernel32.dll ["Product Version" is always 4.10.2222 no matter which kernel32.dll (hot)fix is installed or not] gives the most accurate version detection for all 9x OSes. And that's usually the one that MS updates/fixes/patches/etc [most of which are built using iexpress.exe] are looking for.

Hope this helps.

1) -MDGx, the poster asking about network speeds I believe was referring to speeds between LAN'd puters, not internet transfers...

2) -thx for offering the additional info in future updates, appreciate it! I've noticed in the past that u also update 98se2me when appropriate, but lately didn't notice this trend (always) continuing, and your update thread's statement of "some [ME patches] have already been added to 98SE2ME" kinda made me worry that we/I might be missing some...

3) -when u do occasionally remove a (troublesome) ME replacement file from 98se2me's list, how do we know where to get the latest (possibly updated) win98se file?

1. I thought of LAN [local network] transfers, but unfortunately I can't test that kind of environment, my only connection is the 1 to the internet.

2. You won't miss any patches, because I always add them to the forum thread when I get [come up with] new/updated ones:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581

and I also always test all new WinME patches to make sure they work [or not] properly with 98SE2ME.

If you have run the current 98SE2ME edition [options 1 or 2] you already have the most recent ME patches installed.

3. Whenever I remove a WinME file from 98SE2ME, I always detail how to get back the original one, either by installing Gape's SP2, or the appropriate (hot)fix [if any], or by extracting the respective file(s) from the Win98 SE setup CD CAB(s).

Please see READ1ST.TXT, the "NEWS + CHANGES" section, for all such updates:

READ1ST.TXT

For example, see 2-14-2006 update to learn how to restore original Win98 SE DEVMGR32.DLL from the CAB.

Hope this helps.

A suggestion to MDGx:

in your batches you could check for the DOS shell being indeed Command.com and not some replacement, lest people get into trouble; while installing a reduced SE2ME for the USB components, I got caught by such a problem with COPY /Y not understood by my shell being NDOS (a 4DOS variation). Fortunately I spotted the problem and since I'm "fluent" in DOS twas a no brainer to correct for it.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've never used command.com replacements, so I can't test NDOS or 4DOS command interpreters.

But I have added [98SE2ME 3-19-2006 edition] detection code into all 98SE2ME batch files for COMSPEC and COMMAND.COM, and if none are found, then the environment will be set to the current location of command.com, accounting for all 3 possible locations: C:\ root, %windir% + %windir%\command :

SET | C:\9!M\FIND /I "COMMAND.COM">NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO 4D1
IF ERRORLEVEL 0 GOTO 4D0
:4D1
SET | C:\9!M\FIND /I "COMSPEC=">NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO 4D2
IF ERRORLEVEL 0 GOTO 4D0
:4D2
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\COMMAND\COMMAND.COM GOTO XC1
SET COMSPEC=%winbootdir%\COMMAND\COMMAND.COM
:XC1
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\COMMAND.COM GOTO XC2
SET COMSPEC=%winbootdir%\COMMAND.COM
:XC2
IF NOT EXIST C:\COMMAND.COM GOTO 4D0
SET COMSPEC=C:\COMMAND.COM
:4D0

Hope this helps.

It's has something to do with 98SE2ME. I noticed it imediately after installing it.

When I copy large files form a coputer with WinXP sometimes transfer starts after a long delay (~40s). During this time I noticed high CPU usage. CPU is used by the program used to copy the file (Explorer window, Total Commander, etc.). After this delay trasfer rate is OK.

If this delay does not happen, transfer starts with high speed but the speed decreases gradually after transfer starts to ~1MB/s or less for ~30s. Then, suddenly goes back to normal and everything is OK for the rest of the transfer.

Sorry to hear about your problem, never heard of this kind of bug.

As I said in a previous post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?s=&showtopic=46...ndpost&p=481793

unfortunately I can't test a LAN network environment.

If anybody else in this forum can test this on a LAN, please let me know if there is any WinME file installed by 98SE2ME that slows down Win98 SE network transfers.

Many thanks.

Edited by MDGx

3?s

1. Do option 8 installs as a part of 1

2. Do you use option 3 and would you recommend it.

Now i read in ur text sayin it may cauz instability etc..

But u bein tha creator in all u wud kno what is better

3. Since you updated usb should we still install Maximum-Decim Native USB Drivers

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Yesterday I reinstalled 98 using a backup copy I made before installing 98SE2ME. Now I do not have 98SE2ME installed. The problem is gone and the computer with XP is exacty the same as before. In fact it was not even restarted.

There is something else I noticed:

After installing 98SE2ME, windows asks for password only once, the first time I enter a remote shared directory. Win98 without 98SE2ME asks for password after every restart when I enter the directory.

The directory on the XP computer is shared for me and is password protected. I created a user account with the same name as my Win98 login, but when I login to Win98 I do not enter a password. XP asks for my password when I access the shared directory.

Maybe this information is useful to you.

3?s

1. Do option 8 installs as a part of 1

2. Do you use option 3 and would you recommend it.

Now i read in ur text sayin it may cauz instability etc..

But u bein tha creator in all u wud kno what is better

3. Since you updated usb should we still install Maximum-Decim Native USB Drivers

1. Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: see READ1ST.TXT under "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" section:

READ1ST.TXT

* Option 8:

installs WinME USB, FireWire, Audio + Windows Driver Model (WDM) *.SYS drivers

into:

- %windir%\SYSTEM :

from WinME CABs:

HID.DLL

HIDCI.DLL

USBUI.DLL

WDMAUD.DRV

HIDSERV.EXE

newer than the ones from WinME CABs:

VIP.386 => Win98 SE Q269388 hotfix

USER32.DLL => WinME Q280800 hotfix

USER.EXE => WinME Q280800 hotfix

- %windir%\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS :

from WinME CABs:

NTMAPHLP.PDR

USBMPHLP.PDR

- %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS :

from WinME CABs:

WDMFS.SYS

WMIDRV.SYS

DBCLASS.SYS

DBFILTER.SYS

HIDCLASS.SYS

HIDPARSE.SYS

HIDVKD.SYS

NTMAP.SYS

OPENHCI.SYS

UHCD.SYS

USBAUTH.SYS

USBCCGP.SYS

USBD.SYS

USBNTMAP.SYS

USBPRINT.SYS

USBSTOR.SYS

WMILIB.SYS

TDI.SYS

USB8023.SYS

DRMK.SYS

MSPQM.SYS

REDBOOK.SYS

SBEMUL.SYS

SWMIDI.SYS

USBCAMD2.SYS

USBINTEL.SYS

USBSCAN.SYS

USBSER.SYS

SBP2SCAN.SYS

USBCAMD.SYS

newer than the ones from WinME CABs:

KMIXER.SYS => WinME Q316638 hotfix

OHCI1394.SYS => WinME Q252183 hotfix

RT.SYS => WinME Q280127 hotfix

USBAUDIO.SYS => WinME Q280127 hotfix

UPDATE.SYS => WinME unofficial hotfix

WDMAUD.SYS => WinME Q316795 hotfix

1394BUS.SYS => WinME Q252183 hotfix

PORTCLS.SYS => WinME Q316638 hotfix

USBHUB.SYS => WinME Q278289 hotfix

SBP2PORT.SYS => WinME Q311430 hotfix

Original files backed up into %windir%\SYSTEM.OLD ,

%windir%\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS.OLD + %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.OLD .

How to restore your original files:

Copy all files from all 3 folders listed above to their original locations

[same folder names but without .OLD]and then reboot.

Restore NOT necessary because original files older + BUGgy.

Option 8 installs also as part of option 1.

2. I do not use option 3. As you may have noticed, there are drawbacks and the UI is slower.

I like better the 98 SE UI.

But there are people who prefer the ME UI.

3. Yes, because Maximus-Decim's NUSB contains also added/modified INFs, but 98SE2ME does not [option 8 only installs *.SYS + HID UI files], so you may want to install NUSB, especially if your USB device(s) don't function properly.

Hope this helps.

Yesterday I reinstalled 98 using a backup copy I made before installing 98SE2ME. Now I do not have 98SE2ME installed. The problem is gone and the computer with XP is exacty the same as before. In fact it was not even restarted.

There is something else I noticed:

After installing 98SE2ME, windows asks for password only once, the first time I enter a remote shared directory. Win98 without 98SE2ME asks for password after every restart when I enter the directory.

The directory on the XP computer is shared for me and is password protected. I created a user account with the same name as my Win98 login, but when I login to Win98 I do not enter a password. XP asks for my password when I access the shared directory.

Maybe this information is useful to you.

Interesting.

Because I can't test such network environment, I have no idea if/why/which file(s) is/are responsible.

The only solution I see is to take time [if you wish] and try to replace network files one at a time, to determine which is/are the slow one(s).

About the password request change:

Can't test that either, unfortunately.

Is that a good thing [less typing], XP not asking for your 98SE password every time you access a new folder, or is that a security problem in this case?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

will u improve option 3 in the future if u get the chance
It's not a question of improving it, it's the way it is implemented, file dependencies, etc, which canNOT be changed, unless some1 reprograms/hexes the UI + Shell files.

And if some1 mods the files, it must be distributed as a separate package [if any], I will not add them to 98SE2ME, because 98SE2ME contains only official files from MS which can be installed by any1 with 98 SE OS + WinME CD.

An alternative is to install Tihiy's Revolution packs.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58357

Hope this helps.

A suggestion to MDGx:

in your batches you could check for the DOS shell being indeed Command.com and not some replacement, lest people get into trouble

I've never used command.com replacements, so I can't test NDOS or 4DOS command interpreters.

But I have added [98SE2ME 3-19-2006 edition] detection code into all 98SE2ME batch files for COMSPEC and COMMAND.COM, and if none are found, then the environment will be set to the current location of command.com, accounting for all 3 possible locations: C:\ root, %windir% + %windir%\command

Thanks for looking at the question, MDGX !

I believe setting the COMSPEC to point to a copy command.com will not work however : you'd need to spawn an instance of that command.com and have it exectute your batch, in addition. This may be unnecessarily complicated, what I suggested was only : /check/ the current command interpreter is MS Command.com, and if not, bail out with a polite explanation.

A first check which will immediately single out 4DOS/NDOS (but not other non MS DOS Commands, if such exist in the real world) is the following scheme :

IF '%@EVAL[2+2]'=='4' GOTO 4DOS

HTH

Thanks for looking at the question, MDGX !

I believe setting the COMSPEC to point to a copy command.com will not work however : you'd need to spawn an instance of that command.com and have it exectute your batch, in addition. This may be unnecessarily complicated, what I suggested was only : /check/ the current command interpreter is MS Command.com, and if not, bail out with a polite explanation.

A first check which will immediately single out 4DOS/NDOS (but not other non MS DOS Commands, if such exist in the real world) is the following scheme :

IF '%@EVAL[2+2]'=='4' GOTO 4DOS

HTH

Thanks for the suggestion.

Since then, I've updated the batch code, and also forced all command.com internal commands to "comply" with 4DOS/NDOS [presuming NDOS is similar to 4DOS] or replaced internal commands with external ones.

Please download a fresh copy of 98SE2ME.EXE [2.6 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

and install it without replacing NDOS/4DOS with command.com.

It should work ok.

Please let me know if it doesn't.

Hope this helps.

98SE2ME · UPDATED · 3-19-2006

By popular demand... :blink:

98SE2ME is the automated installer designed to perform all Killer Replacements 98 SE -> ME "transplant" operations completely unattended, a.k.a. "hands-free". :thumbup

Enjoy.

MDGx,

I have tried without success in backing out of OPTION 3, but ADD/REMOVE option 3 dosen't work.

I did a fresh install of 98se on new drive and then 98se2me option 1 with backup--then option 3

with backup. Now I tried thru control panel--ADD/Remove option 3 and it didn't work (just a quick

batch window and thats it). I also looked for explorer.98a and any other files *.98a, but their not

there. Is their a batch file I can use with new files off 98 CD to back out of explorer ME on a drive

with OS that I would like to keep. I have tried putting old files back and registering them, but system

has many glitches and seem to be unstable. These were all copies and I have the orig. one I would

like to save if I could backup on the option 3. THANKS, charly

I have tried without success in backing out of OPTION 3, but ADD/REMOVE option 3 dosen't work.

I did a fresh install of 98se on new drive and then 98se2me option 1 with backup--then option 3

with backup. Now I tried thru control panel--ADD/Remove option 3 and it didn't work (just a quick

batch window and thats it). I also looked for explorer.98a and any other files *.98a, but their not

there. Is their a batch file I can use with new files off 98 CD to back out of explorer ME on a drive

with OS that I would like to keep. I have tried putting old files back and registering them, but system

has many glitches and seem to be unstable. These were all copies and I have the orig. one I would

like to save if I could backup on the option 3.

THANKS, charly

Thanks for your feedback.

Corrected error in O3BKP.BAT.

Option 3 now backs up all files correctly.

Please download current 98SE2ME edition [2.6 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

and then install option 3 again.

Please make sure files replaced by option 3 are the original ones from Win98 SE before running 98SE2ME.

Files replaced/added by option 3:

%windir%\EXPLORER.EXE

%windir%\SYSTEM\COMDLG32.DLL

%windir%\SYSTEM\DOCPROP.DLL

%windir%\SYSTEM\FONTEXT.DLL

%windir%\SYSTEM\SHSCRAP.DLL

%windir%\SYSTEM\IESHWIZ.EXE

%windir%\SYSTEM\MYDOCS.DLL

%windir%\SYSTEM\PLUSTAB.DLL

%windir%\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL

%windir%\SYSTEM\WEBVW.DLL

Please note that DIMM.DLL + DOCPROP2.DLL are not found in Win98 SE setup CD CABs.

DIMM.DLL + DOCPROP2.DLL are installed into %windir%\SYSTEM by option 3 from WinME CABs.

MDGx - Can you confirm that 98se2me only pulls files from the winme cd that have not been replaced by newer versions in windows me updates??

The reason I ask is that virtually every file on the ME cd has been replaced by a newer "bug fixed" version by MS at some point in one of the WINme updates. I read thru the entire thread but didn't see a definitive answer and just thought that I would ask as I wouldn't want to use any files off the winme cd unless absolutely necessary. If your 98se2me includes the updated versions of all the ME files and just pulls "non updated" files from the cd, I am ready to install.