98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

MDGx, at first sight everything's fine for me, except for one thing that's been bothering me ever since I first tried 98SE2ME: fonts always get back to Western after installing 98SE2ME.

I have Win98SE English installed with Regional Settings set to Romanian at install time. That sets codepage, keyboard layout and all stuff. Apparently, 98SE2ME copies a different set of fonts from the ME CD, when installed, which makes all Romanian characters look weird.

I have found a simple workaround that could be used by the installer: backup the FONTS folder in %windir% to FONTSBKP or whatever name, install whatever selected option in 98SE2ME, then restore the fonts folder, overwriting the newly copied fonts with the ones in the backup.

A better solution would be to read the regional settings, figure out what fonts are needed and then copy the right ones from the ME CD. But the workaround above would do as well.

Thank you for all your work.

MDGx, at first sight everything's fine for me, except for one thing that's been bothering me ever since I first tried 98SE2ME: fonts always get back to Western after installing 98SE2ME.

I have Win98SE English installed with Regional Settings set to Romanian at install time. That sets codepage, keyboard layout and all stuff. Apparently, 98SE2ME copies a different set of fonts from the ME CD, when installed, which makes all Romanian characters look weird.

I have found a simple workaround that could be used by the installer: backup the FONTS folder in %windir% to FONTSBKP or whatever name, install whatever selected option in 98SE2ME, then restore the fonts folder, overwriting the newly copied fonts with the ones in the backup.

A better solution would be to read the regional settings, figure out what fonts are needed and then copy the right ones from the ME CD. But the workaround above would do as well.

Thank you for all your work.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately I have not envisioned tweaking 98SE2ME to regional settings. :(

I've designed it only for English editions with no regional specific fonts.

But you have a good point.

Could you please list here all Romanian specific font names found in your %windir%\FONTS folder?

Also, if you can post here the registry values for Romanian codepage/keyboard/fonts settings would be helpful.

Thanks for your time.

That way I'll have something to work with, and I'm going to try to find a fix.

But if nothing works, I'll just backup all fonts from %windir%\FONTS into something like %windir%\FONTS.9ME whenever one installs 98SE2ME options 1 or 2, so they can restore them afterwards if necessary.

Mult noroc

This font discussion interests me because of my troubles lately on any 98SE install except, for some reason so far, my current install in VMWare.

In all cases I install 98SE2ME as part of my 98SE setting up. Eventually, after some random software installation I get an Error Loading Device IOS Real Mode Memory Allocation Failed on bootup and from then on can only get into Safe Mode.

First I thought it was an SBLive software thing, then MSN Messenger, then Nero, then Spybot Search and Destroy. I now realize it is no relation to which program is being installed, but some other problem. I've read a Microsoft KB that mentioned that it could happen on restart after a program install, especially if MSCONFIG is used to limit the amount of memory Windows uses. So last time I left out the MaxPhysPage=40000 line from System.ini and deleted it when it was installed by the Service Pack and 98SE2ME. That's when the bootup error still occured after restarting from the Spybot Search and Destroy installation.

When that happened I got desperate so I installed RegRepair2000 and spent hours using its IOS repair utility. Mostly that dealt with deleting all my font's and reinstalling them. Apparently, ALL my font's were corrupted somehow. By what, I have no idea, but ALL of them were failing to load according to my bootlog. The only other potential problems found by RegRepair2000 was that a few vxd's were being loaded from the System folder and, according to RegRepair2000, it was possible that Windows already had these files within the vxd file and these might possibly be duplicates.

The previous time startup had failed with Nero, I had tried removing all the Adaptec/Roxio Windows Media Player Plugin driver's, but this didn't fix anything.

I'm thinking the culprit might possibly be something being done to the registering of the Font files by one of the updates I'm applying to my system. And seeing this thread I'm thinking that it might well be 98SE2ME. I don't KNOW this, of course. I'm just trying to figure out why I can't use Windows 98SE on ANY computer (except for, so far, a VMWare installation.)

In case you're wondering, no, renaming or removing smartdrv.exe or rmm.pdr, or extracting and replacing these from the 98SE installation cd had no effect in fixing Windows startup when I tried those old fixes. And they seem to be the only possible fixes, with the exception of not limiting Windows memory use, that I have seen when searching the net for a possible solution.

So my question is, on my next attempt at a real (not VMWare, which for some reason isn't acting up yet) 98SE installation, should I use the new restore Font folder option in 98SE2ME in an attempt to prevent this font corruption from occuring?

Or, what what else can be tried? And, why in the world AREN'T my font's being corrupted when I install the same stuff on my VMWare 98SE install?

Or, could it be the HP Scanjet 3970 that I have not installed on my VMWare install that is the culprit. That's the only other thing I've found regarding this IOS thing, that scanner software sometimes can also cause this problem.

I wanna run 98SE! This is p---ing me off. (Just angry at my computer's, don't take that personal!)

That was quick.

I have to apologize, I'm having a bad time currently, can't quite focus on anything. I see you added the backup option, but I have no machine to test on, right now. I'll try to build one these days, if I feel up to, and I'll let you know.

Regarding font names, that might be a bit complicated, because I have installed OfficeXP and IE6 SP1 with all language display options, which added to the Fonts folder and it'd be hard to tell which is which. I would also need some directions regarding the specific registry keys to look for, as I'm not that familiar with it and some other users that use different regional settings and have problems with the fonts might wanna share in their experience and settings. I know, I'm not being very helpful right now, sorry for that. You're doing a great job, as always.

More interesting, since I also choose a custom install, select full, then add all the abilities to display all the languages leaving out the few that are only to input (not interested in input, just the ability to have all languages to be displayed) when installing Internet Explorer 6 SP1 from the Microsoft cd. I usually install Works 8, the update for it, the programs included in WorksSuite 2005 (but the 2006 full versions of them) and OfficeXP Pro Plus with Frontpage and Publisher 2002.

Although Word 2000 was okay to install before the 98SE Unofficial Service Pack, I've found that I've needed to install the Service Pack first before installing OfficeXP. Otherwise the registry would be corrupted on restart after the Service Pack. I think Office XP has newer MDAC files than the Service Pack installs. If installed after the Service Pack, things are fine.

Except, of course, for the eventual IOS Error that seems to be caused by corrupted font's or their registry entries.

The parallel here, although slightly different as Drugwash experiences a single language font problem, is font stuff going on in Office, IE, and 98SE2ME installation's. One difference of course, is that Drugwash's system is not permanently destroyed by an IOS bootup error as mine is.

It looks to me like there is some relation. Perhaps some solution to this might help both of our situations?

Does it overwrite later versions of DZip32.dll/DUnZip32.dll? I'm using version 4.00.04 11/30/01. Not sure where I got them. Maybe they came with WinRAR. The 98SEtoME version is 3.00.18 7/3/02.
In this curent release I'm afraid the D*ZIP.DLL files are overwritten. :(

But I'll update 98SE2ME to check for newer versions first, and if 4.xx, 5.xx or newer versions are found, they won't be replaced anymore.

Yes, D*ZIP dlls come from DynaZip [shareware].

I guess MS licensed some earlier versions [3.00.07, 3.00.08 etc] for use with ZIPDLDR.DLL [all Win9x/ME versions].

ZIPFLDR from WinXP does not need [as far as I know] the D*ZIP dlls.

But there are some older apps/tools/etc that install those 2 DLLs.

Win95/95B OSR2.0/95C OSR2.5 setup CDs install DUNZIPNT.DLL 2.00.19.

Older AOL clients [6.0/7.0/8.0 ?] install some of those DLLs [older versions] too.

I have latest versions [as of April 25 2005]:

DUNZIP32.DLL 5.00.07

DZIP32.DLL 5.00.07

If anyone wants them, please e-mail me [click the blue E-mail link]:

http://www.mdgx.com/form.htm

OOOOH, MDGx. can you send me v5.00.07 of DUNZIP32.DLL and DZIP32.DLL files?

older versions of DUNZIP32.DLL (from 5.00.03 and earlier) are vulnerable to the dunzip32.dll buffer overflow security problem mentioned at these sites:

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/429361/30/0/threaded

http://secunia.com/advisories/19451/

http://www.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Sec...4/msg00000.html

My "Send to" functionality has been damaged. Initially "Drag and drop" stopped working too but it was restored by revisiting option 1.

The problem arose via the installation and, ultimately, the forced deinstallation of option 3 (ME explorer, shell32, etc.).

The deinstallation failed. I changed the files manually. Next I edited the the option restore .bat file until I could get it to run to fix the registry setting. That almost returned things to their previous state, with "drag and drop" and "sent to" remaining as problems. Afterward, option 1 fixed "drag and drop".

The exact problem is this: although "sent to" desktop works, send to Notepad (I put the shortcut to it in the send to list) or any other program (again via a short cut) fails. Putting Notepad or any other program in the send to list itself (i.e. elminating the shortcut) does not help. The functionality works perfectly on my other machine that has only had option 1 applied.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanx,

cure

PS I have been using this killer replacement on other machines for years now and it is great. Many thanx!

Craps! I just typed a whole post and lost it when either Comcast or my Firewall got jammed up when I tried to submit it.

Anyway, some news from the IOS error, real mode memory allocation failed front.

It happened to me AGAIN!

BUT! This time I renamed smartdrv.exe in the Windows folder to smartdrv.exe.old in Safe Mode and it worked. I then tried extracting a fresh one using System File Checker, but when that file is there Windows won't boot to normal mode. It just gives that IOS error message. So I deleted the file (keeping the renamed version, smartdrv.exe.old, there just in case I need it for something - I think it's the one installed by 98SE2ME) and Windows boots up fine.

For good measure I had TweakUI repair the Font folder, but for some reason I'm not getting all the font failed messages in bootlog.txt this time.

It is really weird, as I thought there was no using smartdrv.exe within Windows 98SE.

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\WIN98RK;C:\PROGRA~1\ATITEC~1\ATICON~1

SET CLASSPATH="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTJava.zip"

SET QTJAVA="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTJava.zip"

That's my AutoExec.BAT, and my config.sys is empty. So, no calls for smartdrv that I'm aware of. I have no idea why not having the file in the Windows folder fixes the IOS error.

And it looks like 98SE2ME doesn't really effect my font's.

Can I get some help with this, though? Bootlog does show a couple of errors. 2 devices are showing failed in the log, ndis2up.vxd and SDVXD. The other note from bootlog would be 2 Unknown devices, (HTREE\ROOT\0 and HTREE\RESERVED\0.

Possibly related, 2 instances of ACPI IRQ HOLDER FOR PCI IRQ STEERING are showing in System Information as error code 9 in Problem Devices. All my hardware works though.

The other oddity is that clicking on Internet Explorer in System Information brings up a blank window in the right pane, and clicking on File Versions shows all the files as "file missing" except for IEXPLORE.

That might be related to my using the new AutoPatcher Alpha and it failing to install his Module 4. But this is the first time I've seen more than a couple of files listed as missing and the IE pane being totally blank.

My internet is working fine (VIA 6203 on board ethernet), and Internet Explorer, OfficeXP, and Works 8.5 run fine.

Eck:

Try these:

1. Delete completely SMARTDRV.EXE from all your hard drives/partitions.

You can always get it back from the Win98SE or WinME CD-ROMs.

Reboot.

Or, if you prefer to use smartdrv, just add this line to your config.sys in C:\ root:

INSTALLHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE 12288 16 A- B- C+ D+ /N /Q

Adapt this line to your HDs: here it caches drives C + D [seen as HDs].

If smartdr.exe is located somewhere else on your computer, modify the path above.

If not using EMM386.EXE, UMBPCI.SYS, RM386.EXE, QEMM386.SYS etc to provide upper memory, no need for INSTALLHIGH= above, which you should replace with INSTALL= .

Reboot.

2. Make sure your %windir%\IOS.INI lists smartdrv.exe among its drivers.

If it does not, extract a fresh copy from the Win98SE CD-ROM [CABs]:

EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN98\WIN98_50.CAB /L %windir% IOS.INI

Change path to CAB if different.

%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS .

Reboot.

3. In Control Panel -> System -> Computer -> System Devices -> PCI Bus -> IRQ Steering tab -> make sure IRQ steering is turned on -> reboot if making any changes under this tab.

4. Ndis2up bootlog errors are "normal".

To read bootlog details and see delays in boot times, use Bootlog Analyzer [free]:

Boot Log Analyzer (BLA) v1.23 32-bit for Windows 9x/ME checks/reports on slow loading/failed drivers (.SYS, .VXD, .DRV, .DLL, .386 etc) at bootup by analyzing C:\BOOTLOG.TXT:

http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/bootloganalyzer123.html

Direct download [235 KB, freeware]:

http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/bootloganalyzer123.zip

More info:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip14.htm#SUYG

5. Look under Control Panel -> System -> Performance tab -> if any of your drives/partitions is using "MS-DOS compatibility mode". If this is true, you may need to update VIA drivers for your mobo/chipset.

6. If your VMM32.VXD file from %windir%\SYSTEM got corrupted, you can recreate it.

Look under this registry key [using Regedit]:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VMM32Files

Save the list of VXD files in a REG file [Regedit's Export function].

Copy that list and save it as wininit.ini inside %windir% [example]:

[setupOptions]Combine=1

[CombineVxDs]

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\NTKERN.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\V86MMGR.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VDD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VFLATD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VSHARE.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VWIN32.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VCOMM.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\COMBUFF.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VCD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VPD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\SPOOLER.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\UDF.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VFAT.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VCACHE.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VCOND.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VCDFSD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\INT13.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VXDLDR.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VDEF.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\DYNAPAGE.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\EBIOS.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VMD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VPICD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VTD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\REBOOT.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VDMAD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VSD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\PAGESWAP.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\DOSMGR.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VMPOLL.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\SHELL.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\PARITY.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\BIOSXLAT.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VMCPD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VTDAPI.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\PERF.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VKD.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VMOUSE.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\MTRR.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\ENABLE.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\VFBACKUP.VXD

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD=C:\VMMTEMP\DOSNET.VXD

Add/remove files until your list matches the 1 from the registry key above.

Extract all these files from the Win98SE CDROM [CABs] into C:\VMMTEMP [example]:

EXTRACT/Y D:\WIN98\WIN98_54.CAB /L C:\VMMTEMP NTKERN.VXD

All files and their CAB locations are listed in CABL98SE.TXT [extract it from this zip]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/EXTCAB.ZIP

Reboot/restart Windows.

BTW:

Make sure all VXD files newer than the ones from Win98SE CD-ROM are located in %windir%\SYSTEM\VMM32 .

Optional:

download these VMM32 tools:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/VMMTOOLS.ZIP

if you'd like to decompress [unpack] VMM32.VXD to normal size.

More info:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-3.htm#VXDBUG

Reboot.

HTH

Edited by MDGx

My "Send to" functionality has been damaged. Initially "Drag and drop" stopped working too but it was restored by revisiting option 1.

The problem arose via the installation and, ultimately, the forced deinstallation of option 3 (ME explorer, shell32, etc.).

The deinstallation failed. I changed the files manually. Next I edited the the option restore .bat file until I could get it to run to fix the registry setting. That almost returned things to their previous state, with "drag and drop" and "sent to" remaining as problems. Afterward, option 1 fixed "drag and drop".

The exact problem is this: although "sent to" desktop works, send to Notepad (I put the shortcut to it in the send to list) or any other program (again via a short cut) fails. Putting Notepad or any other program in the send to list itself (i.e. elminating the shortcut) does not help. The functionality works perfectly on my other machine that has only had option 1 applied.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanx,

cure

PS I have been using this killer replacement on other machines for years now and it is great. Many thanx!

The "Send To/Copy To/Move To" shell right-click functions are installed [actually repaired] whenever you first install 98SE2ME.EXE on your hard disk, even if you don't install any options [1 to 8].

More details in READ1ST.TXT [the "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" section]:

READ1ST.TXT

- patched Registry entries: Copy To, Move To + Send To Windows Explorer,

Desktop + Startup Menu right-click shell context menu options:

-----Begin cut & paste here-----

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To]

@="{7BA4C740-9E81-11CF-99D3-00AA004AE837}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To]

------End cut & paste here------

How to remove Copy To/Move To/Send To from Windows Explorer/Desktop/Start Menu

right-click menu:

- Start button -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> select

"98SE2ME Right-click: Remove Copy To/Move To/Send To" -> click Add/Remove

button.

OR:

- Run this command [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS]:

RUNDLL32 %windir%\SYSTEM\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\BSRESTOR.INF,C2

Backup NOT necessary because original Registry values BUGgy.

More info:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip22.htm#FCMST

On a "virgin"/from-scratch Win98SE system, these are the only registry values for Send To/Copy To/Move To [if you wish to restore them, but they usually prove to be buggy]:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To]@="{7BA4C740-9E81-11CF-99D3-00AA004AE837}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

@="{C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]

@="{C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AllFilesystemEditObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]

@="{C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

;

Save the above as C2M2S2.REG [example] and then double-click on it to merge it into your registry.

But first you should uninstall Copy To/Move To/SEnd To from Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs = as detailed above, and only after that merge C2M2S2.REG into your registry.

The NOTEPAD.EXE file associations in the registry are repaired/installed whenever you install option 1 [which also installs PFE32 (better NOTEPAD)] or when you install PFE32 by itself [option 5].

Options 1 + 5 install these registry values, by running:

RUNDLL32.EXE %windir%\SYSTEM\ADVPACK.DLL,LaunchINFSection C:\9!M\O6RES.INF,PFE

The PFE section from O6RES.INF points to the AddReg=FX registry section, which is responsible for installing all PFE text files associations in your registry:

[PFE]AddReg=FX

[FX]

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\Applications\NOTEPAD.EXE\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\.htm\OpenWithList\NOTEPAD.EXE\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,"Software\CLASSES\.htm\OpenWithList\Programmer's File Editor\shell\edit\command",,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,"Software\CLASSES\.htm\OpenWithList\Programmer's File Editor (32-bit)\shell\edit\command",,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,"Software\CLASSES\.htm\OpenWithList\Windows Notepad\shell\edit\command",,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\.htm\OpenWithList\Notepad\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\.html\OpenWithList\NOTEPAD.EXE\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,"Software\CLASSES\.html\OpenWithList\Programmer's File Editor\shell\edit\command",,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,"Software\CLASSES\.html\OpenWithList\Programmer's File Editor (32-bit)\shell\edit\command",,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,"Software\CLASSES\.html\OpenWithList\Windows Notepad\shell\edit\command",,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\.html\OpenWithList\Notepad\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\batfile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\batfile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\cfgfile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\cfgfile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\inffile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\inffile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\inifile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\inifile\shell\open\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\inifile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\regfile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\regfile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\scpfile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\scpfile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\scriptletfile\shell\open\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\scriptletfile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\txtfile\shell\open\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\txtfile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\JSFile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\JSFile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\JSEFile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\JSEFile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\VBEFile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\VBEFile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\VBSFile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\VBSFile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\WSFFile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\WSFFile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\NortonRegfile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\NortonRegfile\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\WBT_auto_file\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\WBT_auto_file\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\ChannelFile\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\PFE32\shell\edit\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\PFE32\shell\open\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE ""%1"""

HKLM,Software\CLASSES\PFE32\shell\print\command,,,"NOTEPAD.EXE /p ""%1"""

Failure to uninstall option 3 might be due to different versions/builds of system files you had in %windir%\system before you first installed option 3 [if installed it more than once].

O3.BAT has version check commands in place [using getver.exe] to make sure only original Win98SE system files are backed up, and not other newer versions [i.e. from previous option 3 installs], which would defeat the purpose of backing up original files.

For example, if you already installed option 3 in the past, your system files are now WinME builds. Option 3 backup function will not backup/restore WinME files, only Win98SE files.

BTW:

I have double checked [again], and option 3 installs + uninstalls properly on my PC, but I have used original Win98SE CD-ROM files in %windir%\system before I installed option 3.

These are the files installed by option 3 (quoted from READ1ST.TXT):

=> %windir% [usually C:\WINDOWS]:

- Windows Explorer = EXPLORER.EXE 5.50.4134.100

=> %windir%\SYSTEM [usually C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]:

- Common Dialog 32-bit Control = COMDLG32.DLL 5.50.4134.100

- Active IMM Server = DIMM.DLL 5.00.3000.1

- OLE DOCument Properties = DOCPROP.DLL 5.00.2136.1

- OLE DOCument Properties 2 = DOCPROP2.DLL 5.00.2136.1

- Fonts Folder Control = FONTEXT.DLL 4.90.3000

- My DOCuments Folder Control = MYDOCS.DLL 5.50.4134.100

- Map Network Drives/Network Places Wizard = NETPLWIZ.DLL 5.00.2136.1

- Effects Control = PLUSTAB.DLL 5.00.2136.1

- Shell 32-bit Control = SHELL32.DLL 5.50.4134.100

- Shell Scrap Object Handler = SHSCRAP.DLL 5.00.2136.1

- Customize Folder Wizard = IESHWIZ.EXE 5.50.4134.100

- Web View Control = WEBVW.DLL 5.50.4134.7069 from unofficial Q900725.

These replace Win98SE files with older builds, normally found in %windir%\system .

Original Win98SE files should be [x means any number, which means you may have different versions installed from different sources, but which will be all backed up/restored by option 3]:

%windir% [usually C:\WINDOWS]:

EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3xxx.xxx

%windir%\SYSTEM [usually C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]:

COMDLG32.DLL 4.72.3510.2300

DIMM.DLL = not found in Win98SE [therefore not backed up]

DOCPROP.DLL 5.00.1897.1

DOCPROP2.DLL = not found in Win98SE [therefore not backed up]

FONTEXT.DLL 4.10.1704

MYDOCS.DLL 4.72.3xxx.xxxx

NETPLWIZ.DLL = not found in Win98SE [therefore not backed up]

PLUSTAB.DLL 5.00.1528.1

SHELL32.DLL 4.72.3xxx.xxx

SHSCRAP.DLL 4.00.950

IESHWIZ.EXE 4.72.3xxx.x

WEBVW.DLL 5.00.0312.0

HTH

I've actually never used Smartdrv except for when creating custom configuration files in the right click ms-dos shortcut menus for rebooting to MS-DOS Mode. So I have no drivers in my Windows Autoexec.bat or Config.sys files, just the path statements for the Resouce Kit, ATI Control Panel, and the QuickTime Jave files.

The only Smartdrv.exe now on the drive is the one in the Windows\Command folder. Since Windows didn't like it being in the Windows folder I figured I'd leave the one in the Command folder so I could still use Smartdrv in MS-DOS Mode. The one in the Windows folder now is the one renamed to Smartdrv.exe.old.

Prior to the IOS errors, Smartdrv.exe had been listed in the Bootlog as being successfully loaded, even though I never put any calls to it in any configuration files and it wasn't listed anywhere in the Windows startup files in sysedit or msconfig. So I have no idea why it was being loaded. It was not listed in the drivers running in the System Information lists. It seemed to be loading at startup then shutting down.

Following the IOS problem, Smartdrv was no longer listed in the bootlog and still is not there now that I am successfully booting up.

Smartdrv.exe is listed in IOS.INI.

No drives are in MS-DOS Compatibility Mode. The Via drivers are the latest with the exception of the AGP driver which I install manually from the AGP folder from the older 4.43v Via package. Newer versions were designed for XP64 as 32 bit versions of XP have Microsoft's AGP driver. The 98 one's installed in newer versions simply report the card but do not turn on AGP Acceleration or Direct3D Hardware Video Acceleration. 4.43v's version was the last one that doesn't leave me with just PCI Bus speeds.

Device Manager reports the PCI Bus using IRQ Steering properly. System Information tells of Code 9 errors for 2 instances of ACPI IRQ Holder For PCI IRQ Steering, but no errors show up in Device Manager and there are no Ghost Drivers in Safe Mode.

The Bootlog did report the 2 Unknown Devices, but they don't show up in Device Manager or System Information, even in Safe Mode.

I recall that my old motherboard, the Asus A7V880 with the same Via KT880/VT8237 chipsets had one instance of the ACPI IRQ Holders listed as a Problem Device whenever using Windows 98SE. But no unknown devices. 98SE used to run fine on that board, but the last time I had the board in a case it also eventually errored out with the IOS Real Mode Memory error at startup.

At least with the Epox board I get to use the Dos Audio with my Audigy 2 ZS. That, and stability with the 400MHz bus speed with 3200 memory modules was the reason I switched over from the Asus board.

Yet, until now I couldn't get 98SE to stay running because of that darned IOS error. Well, renaming smartdrv fixed it for now.

I still don't know why it did, as I never told Windows to load Smartdrv! Yet there it was in the bootlog (and now it's gone.)

This is the weirdest problem.

Thanks for the information again. I've printed it out so if I need to tangle with the VMM files I'll have the info. My registry looks like it has the right stuff in there. Some mysteries remain, but the system's working.

I'm using WinDoctor from Norton Utilities 2002 to try to keep the registry proper now. I generally don't use these kinds of things but with my recent problems I'm trying some extra precautions. In the old days I did like registry cleaners but for the last couple of years I've noticed that Windows XP doesn't seem to get buggy when I don't mess with it too much.

Apparently 9x does need to be "messed with." I was getting these errors without using any utilities other than Windows ScanDisc and Defrag. Perhaps WinDoctor can help things from getting messed up.

Re: smartdrv

Glad you found a solution that works for you.

Smartdrv cannot load from within Windows nor from a DOS box/session/prompt within Windows.

The only way to load smartdrv is either from config.sys, autoexec.bat or native MS-DOS prompt, before Windows loads.

But if you have one of these lines in your C:\MSDOS.SYS [and/or C:\WINBOOT.INI] under the [Options] section:

DoubleBuffer=1

or

DoubleBuffer=2

you need to change it to read:

DoubleBuffer=0

Then reboot.

This line may try to load/search for smartdrv in %windir% [default location].

If DoubleBuffer=0 IO.SYS stops looking for smartdrv.

Or [like you already did], just move smartdrv.exe away from %windir% , any other directory would do.

Or if do not use [or plan to use] smartdrv at all, just delete all instances [including the one you renamed to *.old] from all your hard drives/partitions.

I'm not experienced with VIA drivers/chipset, never had a VIA mobo.

BTW:

What do you mean by "DOS audio" with your Audigy 2 ZS?

Can you use the Audigy 2 card in native/true/pure/real DOS [outside Windows], or just in DOS boxes/sessions [within Windows]?

HTH

Edited by MDGx

There is a bug in power management in the transition process. The new power management files do not work properly. I usually have two new schemes, one for never to turn off anything and another for to turn off monitor after 1 minute. 1 minute scheme only works if i enable screen saver, and offcourse this changes the monitor turn off to 2 minutes. The process has to be done seperately at each startup. And it still is buggy. :(