Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

* * * * - 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
1083 replies to this topic

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Hi PROBLEMCHYLD!

DFS.VXD, NTKERN.VXD, UDF.VXD and VNETSUP.VXD are the next files I intend to patch and test,
as soon as I release those I'm still testing.
VMM32.VXD is a compressed compilation of VXDs, created during windows install procedure, so
patching it afterwards is impossible. If all its components are patchable and work ok it would be
possible to recompile a new VMM32.VXD from the individual VxDs, but that's another story entirely.
All others may work. And may even enable other files to work, that depend on them.

Did you ever get the files working?

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,782 posts

Donator

No. RLoew managed to get UDF.VxD (v. 4.10.0.2223 from a Win 98SE hotfix) to work with Win 95 (it adds support to UDF on CD/DVD Disks in Windows 95), but it requires custom patching. It's not simply a question of downversioning... And since the Win98SE versions of those files work OK, with no obvious bug, and the Win ME versions add no new functionality, that isn't worth the effort.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
98SE2ME BUGS

1. VCACHE.VXD 4.10.2223 was deleted
2. HIDCLASS.SYS 5.1.2600.5512 was replaced with WinME version
3. HIDPARSE.SYS 5.1.2600.5512 was replaced with WinME version
4. HIDUSB.SYS 5.0.2163.1 was deleted

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
POWERCFG.CPL 4.90.3000.0 has a newer timestamp than the one included in the SP.
I use 98 lite to remove a lot of stuff from my system, but when I install 98SE2ME, it installs a lot of it back.
I was wondering if its not too much trouble, can you add file replacing only if the file exist. I use this approach for most files in SP3.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
I was playing around with option 3 hoping that I could get Media Transfer Protocol working. No Go :( I did notice the uninstall function does not work for option 3. Thanks

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

huguia

huguia

• 28 posts
Would you recomend this or the SP3?

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
Help I installed 98SE2ME with Option 6 and when I try to run any of the games from the Start Menu>Programs>Accessories>Games>GameZone, I get a message saying C:\PROGRAM was not found. And there isn't even a directory in C:\Program Files called GameZone!

Edited by coolman, 19 January 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.
Oh blah, blah, blah, your needs!

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
You can also add TELNET.EXE from Windows ME. Sorry, I made a mistake. The version from Win98 is older. When you have some time please add it back. I checked the PE timestamp instead of the actual version. I have learned a lot over the years and still learning. Thanks again.

Here is a full list of Bugs and fixes

CABVIEW.DLL 5.50.4134.100 [should be moved to option 3 or removed completely. More testing needed]
HIDPARSE.SYS 5.1.2600.5512 is replaced with WinME version
HIDUSB.SYS 5.1.2600.5512 is deleted
POWERCFG.CPL 4.90.3000.0 can be added [Newer Version]
SECUR32.DLL 4.90.3000.0 should be removed [Win98 version is newer and adds 128 bit encryption]
TELNET.EXE 4.90.3000.0 can be added
USBAUDIO.SYS 4.90.3001.0 Breaks USB headset
VCACHE.VXD 4.10.2223 is deleted
Add version check to every file.
Add only copy file if exist, unless the file is not present on Win98 or relies on other WinME counterparts. Example: IRFTP.EXE checks to see if infrared drivers are present if not, the file is not installed.
Internet Games shortcuts needs to be fixed.
Windows Movie Maker files should reside in Movie Maker folder not MoviMakr.
Option 3 does not properly uninstall. The original Win98 files are not restored.
Install new font bug needs to be fixed

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 08 April 2013 - 10:23 AM.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

waltah

waltah
  • 7 posts
I've just done a clean install of latest version of 98SE2ME; two anomalies noted:

1. During the extract phase I got the a message along the lines of "EXTRACT32.DLL missing export CABINET.DLL24" The extract continued and in time the system rebooted.

2. Right at the end I got the message "C\PROGRAM missing ..." (Usual stuff about make sure you have the path right, blah, blah ...) Checking for the (supposed to be) newly installed games (clues from coolman and problemchyld) sure enough the new shortcuts are there but the gamezone folder isn't.

The various missing folders don't seem to be anywhere. My ME cab files are on C: so it's not as simple as they get dropped in the root segment of whatever drive cabs are on.

Known problems, certainly tolerable. I can tidy up the games one way or the other by hand -- I think.

Otherwise no problems; all the functions that were working on this machine before the installation are still okay and those that were broken, are still broken. :-)

VERY smooth; I've used earlier versions for maybe a decade? More? And my 98SE2ME machine was the main machine, used a couple to a few hours daily, 7 days, for most of that time.

Edited by waltah, 15 February 2014 - 10:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN