Can I convert XP fat32 to NTFS?

s1m0n

I want to convert my current XP partiton from fat32 to NTFS using Partition Magic 7. But I want to know if it's safe and will I encounter any problems. By the way, I want to preserve all my current files, a simple conversion, nothing like a format, etc. Thanks.

Guest LouCypher

The only problem I could forsee you experiencing is if you try to convert the partition using the Win32 version of Partition Magic. I recently tried to resize the partition XP was running on with the Win32 version and it couldn't lock the drive and failed twice. The Win32 version tries to apply the changes during the boot process while XP is loading by halting the process with its own program.

I instead booted from a startup disk and ran the DOS version (which to have to specify you want installed during the setup) to change my partitions around and it worked fine, because I was going through Windows.

I'd recommend doing a COMPLETE installation of PM7 (with the DOS & Win3.1 version), and booting from a startup disk. If you boot from a startup disk you can run the DOS version from any FAT32 partition or even a floppy disk. All you have to do is copy the DOS subdirectory from the Partition Magic directory to a floppy or another partition on your HD that is FAT32. Once you boot up from the floppy, go to that directory or the other floppy and run PQMAGIC.EXE. This will load a mouse driver and the DOS version of PM7, there you should have no problems.

[b:bce756edfc]DO NOT USE PARTITION MAGIC OR ANY OTHER SOFTWARE TO CONVERT TO NTSF.....FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS![/b:bce756edfc]

Converting to NTFS Using Convert.exe

A partition can also be converted after Setup by using Convert.exe. For more information about Convert.exe, after completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. In the command window, type help convert, and then press ENTER.

It is easy to convert partitions to NTFS. The Setup program makes conversion easy, whether your partitions used FAT, FAT32, or the older version of NTFS. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition.

To find out more information about Convert.exe

After completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

In the command window, type help convert and then press ENTER. Information about converting FAT volumes to NTFS is made available as shown below.

Converting FAT volumes to NTFS

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing

[b:bce756edfc]convert D: /fs:ntfs[/b:bce756edfc]

would format drive D: with the ntfs format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

-XPerties

The easiest way is certainly tu use convert, but one have to know, that once converted to NTFS, convert will NOT allow to go back to FAT32. Another drawback is that the NTFS partition will not be seen if you boot under DOS or on any FAT, FAT32 partition.

Hope that helps.

:)

Lou...I am glad you posted that about using win32 app of PM7. I was having same errors as you and couldn't figure out why in the world it was happening.

My question to all of you...have any of you actually been successful using PM7 to convert NTFS to FAT32? Supposedly you can't go back but PM gives the option for it. I tried to do it and no dice!

Rick:cool:

> Xperties

From memory (it was by 3 weeks ago), in a first time I was missing wmnt2001.exe. Once I got this file, I got a message like: unable to move files, or to find files or something like that, sorry but I don't remember. I cannot redo the test as my whole HD is now in FAT32.

I've also been told that that could work when using the PM7 DOS diskett to do the change (not tested by myself).

Well that does not help very much, but people who use NTFS can do the test: it is not hazardous, you just go back to your initial status without any change made.

:)

Boy I sure hope those who like to listen to strangers take my warning...[b:4cd44d713d]stay away from PM7 when try to convert[/b:4cd44d713d]....Before it was released I was on the beta testing board for powerquest and know PM 7 inside and out, so trust me things can be accomplished but safty I think is what everyones after and ...well...lets just say you have a better chance of getting laid by maddona with the song "ray of light" playing while Bill Gates tapes it with a video recorder than you do having any good outcomes trying to convert 32 to NTSF or vis versa.But of course you could get laid and everything goes good....Try it and let me know, Ill tell maddona you said HI...:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :cool:

-Xperties

Don't let supermod make you nervous! He just has a lot of time working on the night shift so he's gotta show out! Somebody needs to belt his rear end!!! :)

He's probably right about the PM7 thing... I crashed my whole system using that thing and lost a years worth of stuff. I never had probs before using it but it has gotten very wicked in XP...not to mention that XP is very funny when you try to modify it. You can't move a partiton with XP on it (to my knowledge) without losing the OS. There's lots of other stuff

Rick:cry

here's the deal, my hard drive is ibm deskstar 60GB and i currently have 3 partitions. they are C:14.3, D:17.6, and E:25.2GB. i have winme installed in C: and winxp installed in E:. and currently i use D for downloads and etc. so what i want to do is shave maybe 10GB or so to D: and convert the E: to NTFS.

How can this be done in a safe manner without having to risk losing data?

Padnom you wrote "NTFS partition will not be seen if you boot under DOS or on any FAT, FAT32 partition". My "C" partion is in NTFS format while "D" partion is in the FAT32 format. And for some unxplained reason I can read from "C" while being in "D" partion, I can even run a program from "D" that is in "C". (WinXP is installed on "D" and i have 98se on "C")

"C" was coneverted to NTFS when I was installing XP on it, which i later deleted and installed XP on "D" and 98se on "C". Could you take the time and explain to me what gives? In other words why am I able to read data that is on NTFS partion while being on FAT32 part.?

Also if the whole Drive is in NTFS format will I be able to store a CPP file on a floppy and go to the computer lab and open that CPP file if lab's PC is in FAT32 format instead of NTFS?