98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

MDGx, wouldn't it be possible to backport the tzchange.exe utility to Windows 98?

I have looked up Tzchange.exe with Dependancy Walker, all was ok. So the only issue is the Version check. Unfortunately Kernel Update Project didn't work on this file, even by setting it with kupver.ini to Windows XP. However it should be possible to remove the version check.

MDGx, wouldn't it be possible to backport the tzchange.exe utility to Windows 98?

I have looked up Tzchange.exe with Dependancy Walker, all was ok. So the only issue is the Version check. Unfortunately Kernel Update Project didn't work on this file, even by setting it with kupver.ini to Windows XP. However it should be possible to remove the version check.

Win98/ME users do NOT really need the Tzchange.exe utility, Acheron.

Tzchange.exe is a command-line tool (not a GUI tool like Tzedit.exe). Win98/ME users are better off using the Time Zone Editor tool (tzedit.exe) as noted in MS article 914387 to make or edit time zone registry settings.

Edited by erpdude8

Win98/ME users do NOT really need the Tzchange.exe utility, Acheron.

Tzchange.exe is a command-line tool (not a GUI tool like Tzedit.exe). Win98/ME users are better off using the Time Zone Editor tool (tzedit.exe) as noted in MS article 914387 to make or edit time zone registry settings.

OK, so if you update the registry entries, you don't have to run the command "RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL TIMEDATE.CPL", am I right. The only thing I can think of is to reboot the system?

MDGx, I saw on your page about the unofficial SNMP.EXE & SNMPAPI.DLL Q926247 fix titled "Unofficial Windows 95/OSR1/OSR2/98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME SNMP Memory Corruption SNMPAPI.DLL 5.0.2195.6811 + SNMP.EXE 5.0.2195.7112 Security Vulnerability Fix".

edit this by removing Win95 OSR1/OSR2. Version 5.0.2195.6811 of SNMPAPI.DLL and version 5.0.2195.7112 of SNMP.EXE do NOT work under Win95, even with Winsock 2 installed. These files cause "missing export" errors under Win95 and should only be used under Win98/ME.

edit this by removing Win95 OSR1/OSR2. Version 5.0.2195.6811 of SNMPAPI.DLL and version 5.0.2195.7112 of SNMP.EXE do NOT work under Win95, even with Winsock 2 installed. These files cause "missing export" errors under Win95 and should only be used under Win98/ME.
I sent MDGx a fixed copy of the patch a couple days ago. I'm still unsure if it was uploaded.
Done + done.

Please see 1-21-2007 update:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581

OK, so if you update the registry entries, you don't have to run the command "RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL TIMEDATE.CPL", am I right. The only thing I can think of is to reboot the system?
No, rebooting will *not* update your Time Zone correctly.

You *must* answer OK to the Date/Time Properties dialog box, exactly as instructed.

Or if you wish to do this manually, follow these steps exactly:

1. Do *NOT* reboot/restart/shut down/log off after installing unofficial Q929120.EXE [English] or IT929120.EXE [italian].

2. Open Control Panel -> Date/Time applet -> click OK in your correct time zone, which should be already selected.

3. Done.

4. Now it's OK to reboot/restart/shut down/log off if you wish.

If you reboot/restart/shut down/log off after installing unofficial Q929120.EXE [English] or IT929120.EXE [italian] but *before* performing steps above, your Date/Time applet dialog box will revert back to Windows 9x/ME *default* Time Zone [GMT] or to the one for the particular language/geographical zone where you reside or for which you installed Windows in [in my case it defaults to "(GMT) Casablanca, Monrovia, Reykjavik", probably because it has the REG value "MapID"="0,1" , which makes it 1st in line (?)], and this time zone is the INcorrect one.

At this point you need to reconfigure your own time zone manually from scratch: select the correct one from the list. :(

FYI:

The only other way to update/edit/change Time Zones in Windows 95/98/ME is to use TZEDIT.EXE (Time Zone Editor), part of:

* Windows 98 Resource Kit (RK):

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/.../reskit/config/

TZEDIT.EXE [newest TZEDIT.EXE 1.0.01] [41 KB]:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/...nfig/TZEDIT.EXE

TZEDIT.CNT [254 B]:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/...nfig/TZEDIT.CNT

TZEDIT.HLP [10 KB]:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/...nfig/TZEDIT.HLP

* Windows 95/98 Setup CD-ROMs [newest TZEDIT.EXE 1.0.01]:

- \TOOLS\RESKIT\CONFIG = Windows 98 (Final/Gold/First Edition (FE)] + 98 Second Edition (SE)

- \ADMIN\APPTOOLS\TZEDIT = Windows 95B/95C OSR 2.x:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=158195

* MS Kernel Toys 95 [older TZEDIT.EXE 4.00.950]:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloa...s/w95kerneltoy/

W95KRNLTOYS.EXE [57 KB, English, free, unsupported]:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/1...W95KRNLTOYS.EXE

But TZEDIT.EXE is only a graphical tool, does NOT support command line parameters/switches, and that's why it canNOT be used in BAT/INF files for automated/batch/unattended installs.

Example of Time Zone registry changes:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=886775

HTH

No, tzchange.exe is strictly an NTx [2000/XP/2003] OS tool.

The way Date/Time is set in NTx Oses is completely different than in 9x [95/98/ME] OSes.

HTH

I remember reading about some script/tool somewhere around, that could act like the user were actually clicking some button in a GUI window. Simulated clicks are possible, and I know it may look like an overkill, but for a true unattended install, this might be needed. But I can't remember this tool's name, for the life of me. :(

The problem is the cpl doing some actions on the background. However any changes to the operating system must store their information somewhere. Most Windows GUI settings are stored in registry. With SysInternals regmon it's possible to see what changes are made when running the sysdate.cpl command. These changes can then get exported from registry, modified to be useful in a inf and voila, a system update without hitting any button. I'm currently working on Nero 7 Lite, but when I have some time I might actually go investigate this myself.

I remember reading about some script/tool somewhere around, that could act like the user were actually clicking some button in a GUI window. Simulated clicks are possible, and I know it may look like an overkill, but for a true unattended install, this might be needed. But I can't remember this tool's name, for the life of me. :(

AutoIt can do something like that.

the_guy

VML Fix here:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#VGX

This VML Fix (VGX.DLL 6.0.2800.1588) replaces obsolete IE925486.EXE:

* Unofficial Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2/6.0/6.0 SP1 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME Vector Markup Language (VML) VGX.DLL Security Vulnerability Fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms07-004.mspx

Direct download [1.06 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/IE929969.EXE

Please revise the IE929969 VGX.DLL fix by adding an un-install option. make it backup the existing VGX.DLL file and rename it as VGX.ORI and then copy the updated VGX.DLL file when installing IE929969. the VGX.ORI file will be renamed to VGX.DLL after un-installing the unofficial IE929969 patch.

Edited by erpdude8