98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

MSONSEXT.DLL

MSOWS409.DLL

These 2 have no function in Windows, they are used only by MS Office/Word, as far as I'm aware.

I have deleted them from day 1, way back when I first installed Win98 FE, and never needed them, but that's me, I don't use any MS Office components.

To my knowledge, both Win98 SE + ME install older ["generic", compared to Office which installs the "branded", more advanced] versions of these 2 files, so users without Office/Word can use Wordpad or/and Word Viewer to read DOC files.

BTW, Wordpad can actually create primitive DOC + RTF files.

These 2 take active part in reading from/writing to RTF files:

RICHED20.DLL

USP10.DLL

and should be installed on all Windows computers.

I'll test them to see if they work ok.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

where art thou now, MDGx? haven't heard from you for at least two weeks now. new security patches have been released including new WMP security patches for WMP 7.1, 9.0, 10 & 11 and an OLE Automation oleaut32.dll security fix. can you try using oleaut32.dll v2.40.4531.0 on your 98se machine to see if it works correctly?

can you try using oleaut32.dll v2.40.4531.0 on your 98se machine to see if it works correctly?

And why not you? I've tried oa2k.dll from VB6-KB924053-x86-ENU.exe (update for 2000) and it seems to work.

can you try using oleaut32.dll v2.40.4531.0 on your 98se machine to see if it works correctly?

And why not you? I've tried oa2k.dll from VB6-KB924053-x86-ENU.exe (update for 2000) and it seems to work.

I'm no longer using any Win9x OSes on any of my home PCs, Tihiy. they all have WinXP.

and my cousin's PC now has Win2k instead of Win98se [he wanted W2K in the first place anyway]. soon I'll be upgrading my aunt's Dell PC from Win98 SE to Win2000 SP4.

try surfing the net with IE6 with oa2k.dll on your computer Tihiy and check if things work all right.

where art thou now, MDGx? haven't heard from you for at least two weeks now. new security patches have been released including new WMP security patches for WMP 7.1, 9.0, 10 & 11 and an OLE Automation oleaut32.dll security fix. ...

Let's not forget Windows Script 5.7:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I'm no longer using any Win9x OSes on any of my home PCs, Tihiy. they all have WinXP.

and my cousin's PC now has Win2k instead of Win98se [he wanted W2K in the first place anyway]. soon I'll be upgrading my aunt's Dell PC from Win98 SE to Win2000 SP4.

try surfing the net with IE6 with oa2k.dll on your computer Tihiy and check if things work all right.

OK. I'm fully recovered from a bad cold I caught last week and I did test the newer oleaut32.dll files on my next door neighbor's Win98se machine. oleaut32.dll v2.40.4519 from VS6 KB924053 update is good. a little different story with oleaut32.dll v2.40.4531 as I DO get some scripting errors when loading certain HTML pages in IE. Once I switched the OS from Win98 SE to WinME I re-tested builds 4519 and 4531 with WinME Help & Support Center. Help and Support will load as expected using oleaut32.dll 4519 in WinME. After I replaced the file with build 4531 and reloaded WinME and rerun Help and Support Center I get a "cannot display error" message and ME Help and Support Center will not continue on. I switched back to build 4519 and the WinME Help and Support problems went away for good.

At least I got to test oleaut32.dll file builds 4519 and 4531 more thoroughly and more broadly, unlike what Tihiy did.

so oleaut32.dll file v2.40.4519 to me is the winner - I'll scrap build 4531

MSVCRT.DLL 6.1.9847.0 from KB838751 works flawlessly with Win 98SE [...]. It is described in <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838751> and is available from MDGx's site at <http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q838751.EXE>. It has to be installed manually, since this hotfix is intended for Win 2k. [...]

msvcrt.dll v6.1.9847.0 works on BOTH Win98 SE AND WinME, dencorso. I know this because that file works fine under WinME and even under Win95. I've used that file on other 9x versions of Windows and found no problems with that file.

Thanks for the feedback, erpdude8! :thumbup

I've now gotten a NEWER msvcrt.dll file. it's version 6.1.9848.0!!!

you guys won't believe where I got this newer msvcrt.dll file (take a wild guess)

this one fixes a daylight saving bug as mentioned in ms kb article 932590

Perhaps there's something about my method of installing Windows 95 that causes SFC to report the DCOM files corrupt, or causes problems for the installation of DCOM. I'll download the OSR2 Update Rollup again in case my first download was incomplete in some way.

Please download my OSR2 Update Rollup pack again, bristols. It's now beta 6 and you can get it here:

http://www.usaupload.net/d/9axq0j28l15

Edited by erpdude8

Perhaps there's something about my method of installing Windows 95 that causes SFC to report the DCOM files corrupt, or causes problems for the installation of DCOM. I'll download the OSR2 Update Rollup again in case my first download was incomplete in some way.

Please download my OSR2 Update Rollup pack again, bristols. It's now beta 6 and you can get it here:

Thanks erpdude8 - I downloaded and ran the beta 6 Pack. SFC didn't report the DCOM files as corrupt this time.

The Pack updated the following system files:

- ASYCFILT.DLL 2.40.4528 > 2.40.4530

- OLEPRO32.DLL 5.0.4528 > 5.0.4530

- OLEAUT32.DLL 2.40.4522 > 2.40.4519

- VIDX16.DLL

- MCIQTZ.DRV 4.00.96.072 > 4.00.96.072

DCOM95 files:

- RPCLTCCM.DLL 4.71.3328 > 4.71.3328

Thanks for testing those newer OLE files. But could you tell me why OLEAUT32.DLL was downgraded?

[My OSR2x is fully-patched as far as I am aware.]

MSVCRT.DLL 6.1.9847.0 from KB838751 works flawlessly with Win 98SE [...]. It is described in <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838751> and is available from MDGx's site at <http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q838751.EXE>. It has to be installed manually, since this hotfix is intended for Win 2k. [...]

msvcrt.dll v6.1.9847.0 works on BOTH Win98 SE AND WinME, dencorso. I know this because that file works fine under WinME and even under Win95. I've used that file on other 9x versions of Windows and found no problems with that file.

Thanks for the feedback, erpdude8! :thumbup

I've now gotten a NEWER msvcrt.dll file. it's version 6.1.9848.0!!!

you guys won't believe where I got this newer msvcrt.dll file (take a wild guess)

this one fixes a daylight saving bug as mentioned in ms kb article 932590

Could you e-mail me the hotfix that you got msvcrt.dll 6.1.9848.0 from?

the_guy

OA2K.DLL needs to be renamed to OLEAUT32.DLL and placed into %windir%\SYSTEM .

I've tried it too, and got errors while using MS IE 6.0 SP1. :(

But Script (MSE) 5.7 works ok with Win98 SE [+ MS IE 6.0 SP1], so does WMP9 WMP.DLL, VGX.DLL, IE 6.0 SP1 Cumulative Patch and MSXML4.MSI.

All available here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46581

Have fun.

Hi MDGX.

I get an error message during the installation of the 938127 (VML/VGX) fix:

An error occurred while renaming a file: "Cannot create a file when that file already exists" (error #183).

Current file name C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Vgx\vgx.dll

At this point I chose to cancel the setup.

Hi MDGX.

But Script (MSE) 5.7 works ok with Win98 SE

In fact, i found that vb scripts [like msgbox("Hello World")] do not work anymore. Haven't tested JavaScripts.

Moreover, CScript.exe is now in \windows\system (was in \windows\command), but registry entries weren't updated to point to \windows\system (because your registry update flags indicate 'do not overwrite') and thus "Program Not Found" dialog pops up.

Edited by Tihiy