98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

- updated TTFPAK.EXE = added newest fonts [now total of 44] from Win2003 SP2 RC:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sp2.mspx

- updated RUNHELP.EXE = fixed files do NOT work on WinME = now installs only on Win98/98 SP1/98 SE.

it's all right if the unofficial Runhelp fix does not work under WinME. WinME users can workaround the problem by clicking on YES on the security box when double-clicking on the HTMLHELP.HTM file with original, unpatched RUNHELP.CAB file.

BTW Windows Server 2003 SP2 is scheduled to be released sometime in the first quarter of 2007 and Windows XP SP3 might come out sometime in the first half of 2008 as noted here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

wow, I guess XP users will have to wait almost two more years for XP SP3 (it'll be almost four years after SP2)

it's all right if the unofficial Runhelp fix does not work under WinME. WinME users can workaround the problem by clicking on YES on the security box when double-clicking on the HTMLHELP.HTM file with original, unpatched RUNHELP.CAB file.
I'll have to test this on my "dummy test" WinME setup, maybe I can come up with a solution. [?]

What needs to be changed in all the .inf files:

the_guy

Done.

Thanks.

Updated IE922760.EXE [3.62 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/IE922760.EXE

Since we are on a update spree q329048 should be updated with newer files

that are included in 98SE2ME.It make things alot easier and it gets rid of obselete files and updates.

Done.

* Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE ZIP Decompression Unchecked Buffer +

Recoverable Compressed ZIP Folders Passwords DZIP32.DLL 4.00.04, DUNZIP32.DLL

4.00.04 + ZIPFLDR.DLL 5.50.4921.1000 Security Vulnerability Fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms02-054.mspx

Direct download [216 KB, English]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q329048.EXE

More info:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329048

UPDATED · 11-23-2006

Updates:

- updated IE922760.EXE critical IE 6.0 SP1 fix = fixed INF code.

- added 98/98 SP1/98 SE ZIPFLDR.DLL fix = Q329048.

believe it or not MDGx, tErmY is right. I did use REGSVR32 to register v5.7.0.5730 the jscript.dll and vbscript.dll files and they do register properly under Win98/ME.
So these files should be drop in the KB917344 folder and be repackage right?
I need to do some testing first, to make sure they work ok.

These files were meant for NTx OSes which may have different functions/APIs.

Just because they regsvr32 ok, that doesn't mean they work 100% with 9x OSes.

HTH

one more thing MDGx. I did emailed the_guy near the end of October and sent him v4.0.9417 of the msrepl40.dll file from Q910906 for WS2K3. He hasnt created an updated version of the unofficial Q918144 Jet 4.0 patch for Win9x/ME/2000/NT4 yet. I'll have to email him again and request that he make an updated version with the newer msrepl40.dll file.

btw - Sun Java Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10 released at Majorgeeks.com site. it's not yet mentioned at the Sun Java site. Also released is Sun Java Runtime Environment 1.42 build 13.

@erpdude8: I requested an update from Microsoft about a week ago with new graphic filters in it, and I didn't get a response yet. I'll be resending it today.

Also, I have made an unofficial Q925051 update, which replaces Q918144, and it does include msrepl40.dll version 4.0.9417.0.

Expect this ASAP.

the_guy

I'll have to test this on my "dummy test" WinME setup, maybe I can come up with a solution. [?]

I have tested the unofficial RUNHELP.CAB patch under a different WinME computer (a clean install of ME) and it DOES work!!!

It might be either another unofficial patch, an IE patch or messed up IE registry settings that caused the RUNHELP.CAB patch not to function correctly under my WinME computer. I may have to wipe out IE with IEradicator, delete the corrupted IE registry settings and re-install IE 6 SP1 on my WinME PC and re-install RUNHELP.CAB update to see if that'll fix the problem.

erpdud8:

Please let me know if RUNHELP works ok with factory default WinME, so I can add ME to the supported OSes once again.

BTW:

Do this for fun:

1. Install the most recent version of RUNHELP.EXE [62 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/RUNHELP.EXE

2. Use Firefox or Mozilla or Netscape or Opera [any browser except MS IE or MS IS skins] to run HTMLHELP.HTM .

See what it says. ;)

Then disable Javascript and/or ActiveX in MS IE from Internet Properties.

Then run HTMLHELP.HTM again using MS IE this time.

See what it says. ;)

3. If you care to see the source code, open HTMLHELP.HTM in Notepad.

Enjoy.

erpdud8:

Please let me know if RUNHELP works ok with factory default WinME, so I can add ME to the supported OSes once again.

BTW:

Do this for fun:

1. Install the most recent version of RUNHELP.EXE [62 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/RUNHELP.EXE

2. Use Firefox or Mozilla or Netscape or Opera [any browser except MS IE or MS IS skins] to run HTMLHELP.HTM .

See what it says. ;)

Then disable Javascript and/or ActiveX in MS IE from Internet Properties.

Then run HTMLHELP.HTM again using MS IE this time.

See what it says. ;)

3. If you care to see the source code, open HTMLHELP.HTM in Notepad.

Enjoy.

It does work even with WinME + IE6 SP1 on my relative's ME computer and on the WinME computer I tested. so there must be a problem on MY WinME computer that's causing the runhelp.cab fix not to work as I still couldnt get it to work on my WinME computer (it either could be some corrupted WSH files or WSH/IE registry settings; so far I havent found the "root" problem). Looks like I'll have to reformat my WinME machine and retry the RUNHELP.CAB fix. anyway, I needed to wipe out my ME machine once every few years to get the cleanest WinME install possible.

BTW - the_guy mentioned earlier that he made Q925051 Jet 4.0 fix. replaces Q918144 patch.

I'll also think about what you said about me taking over the 98SE SP. If I do release a new version of the 98se SP, it will have many of the add-ons (WMI 1.5, WMP 6.4, TTF Font Properties Extension, Wintop, etc.) that were included in the 98FE SP.

Edited by erpdude8

It does work even with WinME + IE6 SP1 on my relative's ME computer and on the WinME computer I tested. so there must be a problem on MY WinME computer that's causing the runhelp.cab fix not to work as I still couldnt get it to work on my WinME computer (it either could be some corrupted WSH files or WSH/IE registry settings; so far I havent found the "root" problem). Looks like I'll have to reformat my WinME machine and retry the RUNHELP.CAB fix. anyway, I needed to wipe out my ME machine once every few years to get the cleanest WinME install possible.

BTW - the_guy mentioned earlier that he made Q925051 Jet 4.0 fix. replaces Q918144 patch.

I'll also think about what you said about me taking over the 98SE SP. If I do release a new version of the 98se SP, it will have many of the add-ons (WMI 1.5, WMP 6.4, TTF Font Properties Extension, Wintop, etc.) that were included in the 98FE SP.

RUNHELP:

Thanks for testing, I'll add WinME to the supported OSes.

Q925051:

the_guy just sent me a few new patches, which include Q925051.

I'll review + upload them soon.

SP2:

I think you are a very good person to take up this task.

Please let us know if you decide to do it.

We're here to help.

Best wishes.

SP2:

I think you are a very good person to take up this task.

Please let us know if you decide to do it.

We're here to help.

Best wishes.

however, it may be a one time thing. once I release a new version of the 98se SP, I wont make any future releases after that. expect it around Christmas or New Year's.

I did find problems with the MSXML.DLL KB832414 XML 2.5 patch. the MSXML.DLL file from KB832414 does NOT register under WinME (and may not work correctly under Win9xME). If you look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Supported OSes for MSXML 2.5 KB832414 fix are NT-based Windows only and does NOT mention Win98 & ME.

I have to see if MSXML.DLL file from KB832414 would register correctly when using REGSVR32 under Win98FE and Win98SE. Type REGSVR32 MSXML.DLL as the DOS Prompt when you are in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ folder. If it registers, then the MSXML.DLL file can be used on your version of Windows, if it fails to register then it was not meant to be used under there.

I did find problems with the MSXML.DLL KB832414 XML 2.5 patch. the MSXML.DLL file from KB832414 does NOT register under WinME (and may not work correctly under Win9xME). If you look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Supported OSes for MSXML 2.5 KB832414 fix are NT-based Windows only and does NOT mention Win98 & ME.

I have to see if MSXML.DLL file from KB832414 would register correctly when using REGSVR32 under Win98FE and Win98SE. Type REGSVR32 MSXML.DLL as the DOS Prompt when you are in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ folder. If it registers, then the MSXML.DLL file can be used on your version of Windows, if it fails to register then it was not meant to be used under there.

All right, I found the problem with MSXML.DLL from KB832414 not registering with REGSVR32 and getting "LoadLibrary Failed ["msxml.dll"] error message" on my WinME computer. The MSXMLA.DLL and MSXMLR.DLL files were missing or deleted from my ME computer. When these two files are not installed or missing, MSXML.DLL file from KB832414 cant be registered. BUT when those two files are installed, MSXML.DLL from KB832414 will register properly with REGSVR32.

Wonder if either MDGx or the_guy has some time to make unofficial U832414 MSXML.DLL fix for Win98/ME that will also include the MSXMLA.DLL and MSXMLR.DLL files.

Edited by erpdude8

Excuse me, as a 'Newby/Dummy-azoid' I am still working with TrainingWheels attached. I have had my Win98SE v4.10.2222A since Dec, 1998, I think anyway. Did my own install and maintenance with only needing to reinstall once because of my own ERROR and could not get my system back up, that was in about Oct, 2005. After finding the UnOfficial_Win98SE_SP2.1a and installing that have had even less of a problem.

Now my AntiVir Software by Avira v7.x has detected two files as possible Trojans, TR/Dldr.Stration.I, they are CRLUPD.EXE and ROOTSUPD.EXE. I was informed by the Forum for AntiVir that there was an update out on the CRLUPD.EXE on Mircrosoft and I downloaded same, size 125Kbytes while the one with your update program is only 45Kbytes. It seems there was an error done by Verisign, "MS01-017: Erroneous VeriSign-Issued Digital Certificates Pose Spoofing Hazard" to quote from the µSoft website. Take a read of this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms01-017.mspx

I have to go back and check for the other file ROOTSUPD.EXE for an update.

Just thought I would pass this on, not sure if this has ever been see before, have spent the morning looking for possible entries on this topic, finally gave up and decided to post this info.

I aplogize if it has been here before