Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
1294 replies to this topic

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts
hey everyone. I'm back from jury duty. what a weird way to start off year 2007 by doing jury duty!

note to Drugwash and soporific: download the updated COPY2GB.EXE file from MDGx's web site. The install/uninstall problems have been fixed.

The C2GBME.EXE kernel32.dll fix for WinME will need to be revised again to include the START.EXE file (and a "START /W NIRCMD" string in the C2GBME.INF file). I was not sure if the NIRCMD.EXE file was executed on older & current releases of C2GBME.EXE. perhaps many instances of NIRCMD were executed too quickly.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
Welcome back, erpdude8. Sorry to hear about a bad start off; hopefully you'll get over it soon. And thanks for the heads up, will download the updated COPY2GB.EXE right away.

@ MDGx: VS6SP6U.EXE dated 28 Nov 2006 at your site is rebooting on finish without warning; you may wanna revise it when possible.

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
Drugwash:

VS6SP6U.EXE dated 28 Nov 2006 at your site is rebooting on finish without warning; you may wanna revise it when possible.

I have deleted all INF + SED reboot directives [the rest is up to the advanced setup APIs], please try it again:

Unofficial VS6 SP6 Runtime + ActiveX Controls Libraries (DLLs) for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME [2.11 MB]:
http://www.mdgx.com/files/VS6SP6U.EXE

Thanks for your feedback.

HTH

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
Regarding newest DST update package: how would one go around clicking OK in an unattended installation? Any commandline switch for that? I'm thinking about projects such as auto-patcher and similar, which would incorporate this update.
Sorry if I'm out of track. :unsure:

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts

Regarding newest DST update package: how would one go around clicking OK in an unattended installation? Any commandline switch for that? I'm thinking about projects such as auto-patcher and similar, which would incorporate this update.
Sorry if I'm out of track.

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to click OK in an unattended installation for the new Time Zone updates.

Workaround:
But who wants to make an unattended install, needs to add this command line to tte batch/inf/whatever file after the
Q929120.EXE /Q:C /R:N
or similar line:

RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL TIMEDATE.CPL

and then instruct the user to click OK in the "Date/Time Properties" dialog box.

Also, for this to work unattended, the SED file [I named it VS6SP6U.SED] needs to *NOT* have the BOLD line:

[Version]Class=IEXPRESS
SEDVersion=3
[Options]
PackagePurpose=InstallApp
ShowInstallProgramWindow=1
HideExtractAnimation=0
UseLongFileName=0
InsideCompressed=0
CAB_FixedSize=0
CAB_ResvCodeSigning=0
RebootMode=N
InstallPrompt="Install %FriendlyName%?"
DisplayLicense=%DisplayLicense%
FinishMessage=%FinishMessage%
TargetName=%TargetName%
FriendlyName=%FriendlyName%
AppLaunched=%AppLaunched%
PostInstallCmd=%PostInstallCmd%
AdminQuietInstCmd=%AdminQuietInstCmd%
UserQuietInstCmd=%UserQuietInstCmd%
SourceFiles=SourceFiles
TargetNTVersion=0:%OSWarn%:OK
[Strings]
OSWarn="This Update canNOT install on your Windows Operating System!"
DisplayLicense=C:\TEMPINST\Q929120.TXT
FinishMessage=
TargetName=C:\TEMPINST\Q929120.EXE
FriendlyName="Unofficial Windows 95/98/ME 2007 Daylight Saving Time (DST) Time Zone Update"
AppLaunched=Q929120.INF
PostInstallCmd="RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL TIMEDATE.CPL"
AdminQuietInstCmd=Q929120.INF
UserQuietInstCmd=Q929120.INF
FILE0=Q929120.INF
[SourceFiles]
SourceFiles0=C:\TEMPINST\
[SourceFiles0]
%FILE0%=
;

The line above must be replaced with this one:

PostInstallCmd=<none>

Then the Q929120.EXE installer must be recompiled with the modded SED file [example]:

IEXPRESS.EXE /N C:\TEMPINST\VS6SP6U.SED

Edit:

P.S.:
If any1 needs the text file [Q929120.TXT] to recompile the installer:

Unofficial Windows 95/98/ME 2007 Daylight Saving Time (DST) Time Zone Update

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT:
At the end of this installation you MUST confirm your Time Zone selection:
When you see Date/Time Properties -> you MUST click OK.

This Update installs *both* 2007 Daylight Saving Time (DST) Time Zone Updates:
- Western Australian (Perth):
MicroSoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) Article Q929120:
http://support.micro....com/?id=929120
- and U.S.A.:
MicroSoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) Article Q928388:
http://support.micro....com/?id=928388
and also deletes *obsolete* 2006 Australian (Melbourne Commonwealth Games) Daylight Saving Time (DST) Time Zone Update registry entries (if any):
MicroSoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) Article Q909915:
http://support.micro....com/?id=909915

How to Configure 2007 U.S.A. DST:
http://support.micro....com/?id=914387

Preparing for 2007 DST Changes:
http://www.microsoft...ne/dst2007.mspx

MSFN DST Forum:
http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=87399

The text file can be modified for unattended installs:
remove the "EXTREMELY IMPORTANT:" section.

HTH

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
MDGx, wouldn't it be possible to backport the tzchange.exe utility to Windows 98?

I have looked up Tzchange.exe with Dependancy Walker, all was ok. So the only issue is the Version check. Unfortunately Kernel Update Project didn't work on this file, even by setting it with kupver.ini to Windows XP. However it should be possible to remove the version check.
Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts

MDGx, wouldn't it be possible to backport the tzchange.exe utility to Windows 98?

I have looked up Tzchange.exe with Dependancy Walker, all was ok. So the only issue is the Version check. Unfortunately Kernel Update Project didn't work on this file, even by setting it with kupver.ini to Windows XP. However it should be possible to remove the version check.

Win98/ME users do NOT really need the Tzchange.exe utility, Acheron.

Tzchange.exe is a command-line tool (not a GUI tool like Tzedit.exe). Win98/ME users are better off using the Time Zone Editor tool (tzedit.exe) as noted in MS article 914387 to make or edit time zone registry settings.

Edited by erpdude8, 17 January 2007 - 12:21 PM.

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Win98/ME users do NOT really need the Tzchange.exe utility, Acheron.

Tzchange.exe is a command-line tool (not a GUI tool like Tzedit.exe). Win98/ME users are better off using the Time Zone Editor tool (tzedit.exe) as noted in MS article 914387 to make or edit time zone registry settings.

OK, so if you update the registry entries, you don't have to run the command "RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL TIMEDATE.CPL", am I right. The only thing I can think of is to reboot the system?

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts
MDGx, I saw on your page about the unofficial SNMP.EXE & SNMPAPI.DLL Q926247 fix titled "Unofficial Windows 95/OSR1/OSR2/98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME SNMP Memory Corruption SNMPAPI.DLL 5.0.2195.6811 + SNMP.EXE 5.0.2195.7112 Security Vulnerability Fix".

edit this by removing Win95 OSR1/OSR2. Version 5.0.2195.6811 of SNMPAPI.DLL and version 5.0.2195.7112 of SNMP.EXE do NOT work under Win95, even with Winsock 2 installed. These files cause "missing export" errors under Win95 and should only be used under Win98/ME.

the_guy

the_guy

Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
@erpdude8: I sent MDGx a fixed copy of the patch a couple days ago. I'm still unsure if it was uploaded.

the_guy
Creator of the Windows ME Service Pack.

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts

edit this by removing Win95 OSR1/OSR2. Version 5.0.2195.6811 of SNMPAPI.DLL and version 5.0.2195.7112 of SNMP.EXE do NOT work under Win95, even with Winsock 2 installed. These files cause "missing export" errors under Win95 and should only be used under Win98/ME.

I sent MDGx a fixed copy of the patch a couple days ago. I'm still unsure if it was uploaded.

Done + done.
Please see 1-21-2007 update:
http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=46581

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts

OK, so if you update the registry entries, you don't have to run the command "RUNDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,Control_RunDLL TIMEDATE.CPL", am I right. The only thing I can think of is to reboot the system?

No, rebooting will *not* update your Time Zone correctly.
You *must* answer OK to the Date/Time Properties dialog box, exactly as instructed.
Or if you wish to do this manually, follow these steps exactly:
1. Do *NOT* reboot/restart/shut down/log off after installing unofficial Q929120.EXE [English] or IT929120.EXE [Italian].
2. Open Control Panel -> Date/Time applet -> click OK in your correct time zone, which should be already selected.
3. Done.
4. Now it's OK to reboot/restart/shut down/log off if you wish.
If you reboot/restart/shut down/log off after installing unofficial Q929120.EXE [English] or IT929120.EXE [Italian] but *before* performing steps above, your Date/Time applet dialog box will revert back to Windows 9x/ME *default* Time Zone [GMT] or to the one for the particular language/geographical zone where you reside or for which you installed Windows in [in my case it defaults to "(GMT) Casablanca, Monrovia, Reykjavik", probably because it has the REG value "MapID"="0,1" , which makes it 1st in line (?)], and this time zone is the INcorrect one.
At this point you need to reconfigure your own time zone manually from scratch: select the correct one from the list. :(

FYI:
The only other way to update/edit/change Time Zones in Windows 95/98/ME is to use TZEDIT.EXE (Time Zone Editor), part of:
* Windows 98 Resource Kit (RK):
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/.../reskit/config/
TZEDIT.EXE [newest TZEDIT.EXE 1.0.01] [41 KB]:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/...nfig/TZEDIT.EXE
TZEDIT.CNT [254 B]:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/...nfig/TZEDIT.CNT
TZEDIT.HLP [10 KB]:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/...nfig/TZEDIT.HLP
* Windows 95/98 Setup CD-ROMs [newest TZEDIT.EXE 1.0.01]:
- \TOOLS\RESKIT\CONFIG = Windows 98 (Final/Gold/First Edition (FE)] + 98 Second Edition (SE)
- \ADMIN\APPTOOLS\TZEDIT = Windows 95B/95C OSR 2.x:
http://support.micro....com/?id=158195
* MS Kernel Toys 95 [older TZEDIT.EXE 4.00.950]:
http://www.microsoft...s/w95kerneltoy/
W95KRNLTOYS.EXE [57 KB, English, free, unsupported]:
http://download.micr...W95KRNLTOYS.EXE
But TZEDIT.EXE is only a graphical tool, does NOT support command line parameters/switches, and that's why it canNOT be used in BAT/INF files for automated/batch/unattended installs.
Example of Time Zone registry changes:
http://support.micro....com/?id=886775

HTH

No, tzchange.exe is strictly an NTx [2000/XP/2003] OS tool.
The way Date/Time is set in NTx Oses is completely different than in 9x [95/98/ME] OSes.

HTH

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
I remember reading about some script/tool somewhere around, that could act like the user were actually clicking some button in a GUI window. Simulated clicks are possible, and I know it may look like an overkill, but for a true unattended install, this might be needed. But I can't remember this tool's name, for the life of me. :(

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
The problem is the cpl doing some actions on the background. However any changes to the operating system must store their information somewhere. Most Windows GUI settings are stored in registry. With SysInternals regmon it's possible to see what changes are made when running the sysdate.cpl command. These changes can then get exported from registry, modified to be useful in a inf and voila, a system update without hitting any button. I'm currently working on Nero 7 Lite, but when I have some time I might actually go investigate this myself.

the_guy

the_guy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

I remember reading about some script/tool somewhere around, that could act like the user were actually clicking some button in a GUI window. Simulated clicks are possible, and I know it may look like an overkill, but for a true unattended install, this might be needed. But I can't remember this tool's name, for the life of me. :(

AutoIt can do something like that.

the_guy

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• 2,528 posts
host files does not copy at all

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts

VML Fix here:
http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#VGX

This VML Fix (VGX.DLL 6.0.2800.1588) replaces obsolete IE925486.EXE:
* Unofficial Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2/6.0/6.0 SP1 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME Vector Markup Language (VML) VGX.DLL Security Vulnerability Fix:
http://www.microsoft...n/ms07-004.mspx
Direct download [1.06 MB]:
http://www.mdgx.com/files/IE929969.EXE

Please revise the IE929969 VGX.DLL fix by adding an un-install option. make it backup the existing VGX.DLL file and rename it as VGX.ORI and then copy the updated VGX.DLL file when installing IE929969. the VGX.ORI file will be renamed to VGX.DLL after un-installing the unofficial IE929969 patch.

Edited by erpdude8, 26 January 2007 - 10:50 PM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts

host files does not copy at all

PROBLEMCHYLD, please be more specific on what you are talking about

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• 2,528 posts

PROBLEMCHYLD, please be more specific on what you are talking about

Hosts.exe It does not replace nor backup the original so it means it does not copy at all

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD, 27 January 2007 - 03:40 PM.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

soporific

soporific

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
The original text of this post was out of this world, and thus off topic. Sorry !

Edited by soporific, 29 January 2007 - 04:52 PM.

Max_04

Max_04

Unofficial Service Packs Italian Releaser

• PipPip
  • 278 posts
@MDGx:

I've sended you an email concerning help request about italian localization of Q258680. ;)
There are all links of case.

Edited by Max_04, 29 January 2007 - 03:24 AM.

Posted Image

Italian localizer for free (not for bastard sellers on ebay).

Many thanks to MDGx, Tihiy, Petr, Gape, Soporific!

http://www.eng2ita.net

soporific

soporific

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
OK I wasn't out of this world. I think there's a problem with IE905495...

MDGx:

In a VM, in a totally clean install of Win98se, I installed:

* Dial-up Networking 1.4
* Ie6sp1 by re-downloading all the files just in case there was something wrong with my version - I downloaded a fresh copy of ie6setup.exe put it in its own folder, ran it, choose custom, selected all the components including all the language files, and started to install --- all 41mb of setup files were downloaded and installed -- I did get a couple of VM type errors so just in case, I forced a re-install of all components and there were no errors or problems.

And after all that I tried to manually run the latest IE905495 hotfix and got this message:

Posted Image

I spent quite a while tracking down the above and I think I've eliminated all possible causes from my end (ie thats why I described the above in such detail).

Any ideas? Could it be the extra language files? I say that cause that's the only difference between Auto-Patcher version 1.7 and 1.8 and this problem was never in 1.7 ... I'm stumped and :unsure:

EDIT --- I still kept at it ... I unzipped the hotfix and ran "ieupdate q905495" from the command line and it installed fine! And just for some more weirdness, I expected to get the same error when I tried to run the hotfix again like normal (ie not unzipping first) but the error message wasn't there anymore and it re-installed perfectly fine --- So I will be able to package the hotfix myself and get it to install, but I still want to know why this happens :)

I'm now officially going bonkers.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Edited by soporific, 30 January 2007 - 07:23 PM.

the_guy

the_guy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
@soporific: What version of msieftp.dll did you have?

the_guy

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts

OK I wasn't out of this world. I think there's a problem with IE905495...

soporific, I had this problem too but I found the problem. IE905495 was checking the WRONG files. If you look at the contents of the IE905495.exe patch in Wordpad, you'll see that it was looking for updated BROWSEUI.DLL, MSHTML.DLL, SHDOCVW.DLL, URLMON.DLL, WININET.DLL files, etc. It should have been looking for an older version (a 5.5x version) of the MSIEFTP.DLL file. Instead, if you don't have the latest Browseui.dll, Cdfview.dll, Mshtml.dll, Shdocvw.dll, Urlmon.dll, Wininet.dll files and you have less than IE 6.0 SP1, the IE905495 patch will produce that error message.

Bottom line, the unofficial IE905495 patch was detecting the wrong kind of files to update when it should have been looking for the msieftp.dll file whether it exists or not.

I had already notified MDGx about the problem and he told the_guy to revise the patch which he did. Download the updated IE905495 patch again here:
http://www.mdgx.com/files/IE905495.EXE

note to the_guy, I've noted in the ME service pack page if you have requested the KB925753 vbscript.dll 5.6.0.8832 hotfix.

Edited by erpdude8, 31 January 2007 - 10:20 AM.

soporific

soporific

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

I had already notified MDGx about the problem and he told the_guy to revise the patch which he did. Download the updated IE905495 patch again here:
http://www.mdgx.com/files/IE905495.EXE

But I HAVE got the new file --- in fact, because of the existence of a newly released update, I've now triple-checked that I was using the newest file. I just did it again - I downloaded the hotfix and did a full folder compare for any unique files between the file contained in the 1.8 version of Auto-Patcher and the newest IE905495 and they are exactly the same. The weird behaviour is that once the hotfix is installed, if you try to just double-click the hotfix, it runs normally. But before it is installed, double-clicking brings up the error msg and blocks the install. This is DEFINITELY with the newest file. Weirdness double extra plus.

EDIT: I just found the best site for support for all things Windows!! -- http://aumha.org/win4/index.htm ---MDGx i'm pretty sure you don't have this site in your list of Win98 sites ....

and on it I found a list of errorlevel codes --- i'm not entirely sure if these correspond exactly to every hotfix install, but it's the only list i could find at it appears to be correct. Can anyone comment?

Edited by soporific, 31 January 2007 - 06:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN