98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

This NEWer DEFRAG.EXE does NOT recognize/defragment DrvSpace/DblSpace compressed/doubled drives/partitions!

I have two partitions on a single hard drive. Will it work?

also

does SCANDSKW.EXE 4.90.3000 still produce a "not enough memory error" while attempting to scan a partition larger than 128 Gb? (while dos ran SCANDISK.EXE works normaly)

And Again: Thanks for keeping these updates available! ;)

My tests indicate SCANDSKW.EXE v. 4.90.3000 works OK up to about 800 GiB (that's the value you get by multiplying 32 kiB clusters by the maximum cluster number found in my tests, about which I reported in this post.) For partitions bigger than about 800 GiB you'll still get a "not enough memory error".

Edited by dencorso

This NEWer DEFRAG.EXE does NOT recognize/defragment DrvSpace/DblSpace compressed/doubled drives/partitions!
I have two partitions on a single hard drive. Will it work?

also

does SCANDSKW.EXE 4.90.3000 still produce a "not enough memory error" while attempting to scan a partition larger than 128 Gb? (while dos ran SCANDISK.EXE works normaly)

And Again: Thanks for keeping these updates available!

1. DrvSpace from WinME doesn't work with FAT32 drives/partitions (they did that on purpose so people stop using it).

DrvSpace from Win95/98/Plus!95 should work with FAT32 drives/partitions, no matter how many you have, just make sure you have enough room for compressed volumes.

These tools see each partition as an individual drive [if separate letter assigned to each], same as ScanDskw/ScanDisk.

I have only briefly used DrvSpace way back in my Win95 days when HDs were small, well under 1 GB.

Never tested it with large HDs.

IMHO:

Nowadays disk space is not an issue anymore, any1 can get huge hard disks really cheap, I strongly recommend everybody should stop using DrvSpace [Win9x/ME users] or DblSpace [MS-DOS 6 users].

2. ScanDskw [from WinME] is the same [has same limitations], unless some1 can fix it.

Or if there is already a fix, please send it to me, so I can update the file. Thanks.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

I've tested the recent release of MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3...

It installs but does not work.

Any app that uses MSXML 4.0 just closes.

It appears that Microsoft have dropped ANSI support in Service Pack 3...

The last version of MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 that works on 9x is still:

954430 (MS08-069 955218)

Service Pack 2 has these three files on 9x:

msxml4.dll

msxml4a.dll

msxml4r.dll

Service Pack 3 has these two files on 9x:

msxml4.dll

msxml4r.dll

SP3 is missing the ANSI resource file msxml4a.dll...

I tried using the SP2 file, but it made no difference...

• 2 weeks later...
DrvSpace from WinME doesn't work with FAT32 drives/partitions (they did that on purpose so people stop using it).

DrvSpace from Win95/98/Plus!95 should work with FAT32 drives/partitions, no matter how many you have, just make sure you have enough room for compressed volumes.

No version of DrvSpace works with FAT32 partitions, MDGx, including the Win95/98 & Plus 95 versions. ALL versions of DrvSpace can NOT compress FAT32 partitions. I know this for a fact [do Google or Yahoo searches on "drvspace" and "fat32"]. DrvSpace only works and compresses FAT16 partitions (and FAT12 partitions if using floppy disks) AND DrvSpace is limited to recognizing 2Gb FAT12/FAT16 partitions.

I've tested the recent release of MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3...

It installs but does not work.

Any app that uses MSXML 4.0 just closes.

It appears that Microsoft have dropped ANSI support in Service Pack 3...

thanks for the heads up, dencorso. tell MDGx about this so that he can retain the link to the 954430 XML 4.0 SP2 security update for Win98/ME/NT4 as well as the latest stable SeaMonkey browser release which is 1.1.16 and was released on April 8. Not sure why MDGx hasn't mentioned the updated SM 1.1.x release.

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 month later...

New IE and AKB (ActiveX Killbit) security updates:

IE MS09-019 - KB969897 security updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897

ActiveX Killbit KB969898 update (replaces KB960715):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969898

New Root Certificates KB931125 Update [May 2009] released. Same direct download links as mentioned on MDGx's IE page.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to MDGx (although he seems to have been away from these forums for a long time :unsure: ):

Some of the Visual Studio/Visual C++/Visual Basic updates listed at your site's URL below have been superceded:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#VS6

The Visual Basic 6.0 (VB6) SP6 update (VB60SP6-KB926857-x86-ENU.msi) has been replaced by VB60SP6-KB957924-v2-x86-ENU.msi, here:

KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924

Download: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6...-v2-x86-ENU.msi

Would it be possible for you to recompile your Unofficial VS6 SP6 Runtime + ActiveX Controls Libraries (DLLs) update to include the updated files from KB957924?

Just a note to MDGx (although he seems to have been away from these forums for a long time :unsure: ):

Yes his absence from these forums is somewhat alarming, his last post was months ago now.

Having said that, it would be even more alarming if his homepage was not being updated.

Hope all is well.

Best regards,

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

:w00t:Bug: CDFS DVD Appears to be 2,147,450,880 Bytes if the True Size is Over 2 GiB, *Solved at Last*!:w00t:

This Win 9x/ME bug has been with us since the begining and Microsoft never took the time to fix it: there is no official hotfix for it and it's not even mentioned in MSKB. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just put any CDFS DVD having more than 2 GiB data into your DVD drive and, after the drive becomes ready, go to Windows Explorer, highlight that drive, right-click on the Properties tab and look at the reported DVD size. But the issue is not limited to Windows Explorer, you can see it in Total Commander, too... in fact any program using the GetDiskFreeSpaceEX API will display the same bug. Last year, Drugwash started a sub-thread about it, inside the 98SE2ME thread, and we discussed it in depth (to read it all, start at posts #923-931, then proceed through #940-948 to posts #952-955). These posts led RLoew to devise a patch, which he decided to release as freeware (many thanks, you rock! :thumbup), which fixes that bug for good. And the patcher he created for applying the patch is an inteligent one, able to recognize and patch correctly CDFS.VXD v. 4.10.1998; v. 4.10.1999; v. 4.90.3000; v. 4.90.3001 and v. 4.90.3002! So all possible variants for Win 98FE, Win 98SE and Win ME are covered by his patch. At that point, Drugwash and RetroOS (thanks to both of you, too, you rock! :thumbup) agreed to join me in testing the experimental patch for three months, and we found out it works perfectly and is harmless to the system. Now RLoew has released it, so it's available for all! :yes:

To get it, go to RLoew's Homepage, then to the "Prerelease and Beta Software" page, and there you'll find the CDFS Patch download link. After downloading the package, unzip it and follow intructions in the Readme.txt to apply the patch. One more Win 98/ME bug bites the ground!celebrate14.gif

Yep, Mr. Loew's patch has done a good job on my system; I can now see the true size of any CDFS DVD media, while previously it was quite frustrating to see almost all DVDs as invariably 2GB in size.

To check whether the patch has produced the desired result, I have created a small utility to be run before and after applying the patch, with CDFS-burned DVD media inserted in your DVD drive(s). It will automatically select the first optical drive and display the size of the inserted media; however, do select the appropriate drive manually if first optical drive is not a DVD drive or the media was inserted in another drive.

The utility has been written in AutoHotkey and automatically compressed with UPX by the AHK packer; if you get any anti-virus warning, it is a false one due to the UPX compression. The source code can be found inside the 7-zip archive, for those who do not trust the compiled executable (also found in the archive). Enjoy! :hello:

Download Drive Capacity Test 1.6

Thank you dencorso and Mr. Loew for your trust! :blushing:

Yep, Mr. Loew's patch has done a good job on my system; I can now see the true size of any CDFS DVD media, while previously it was quite frustrating to see almost all DVDs as invariably 2GB in size

Thank you dencorso and Mr. Loew for your trust! :blushing:

Yes, verify in Total Commander size DVD: 4GB, no 2GB... :thumbup

Very thx, rloew!

Edited by Philco

• 2 weeks later...
:w00t:Bug: CDFS DVD Appears to be 2,147,450,880 Bytes if the True Size is Over 2 GiB, *Solved at Last*!:w00t:

This Win 9x/ME bug has been with us since the begining and Microsoft never took the time to fix it: there is no official hotfix for it and it's not even mentioned in MSKB. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just put any CDFS DVD having more than 2 GiB data into your DVD drive and, after the drive becomes ready, go to Windows Explorer, highlight that drive, right-click on the Properties tab and look at the reported DVD size. But the issue is not limited to Windows Explorer, you can see it in Total Commander, too... in fact any program using the GetDiskFreeSpaceEX API will display the same bug. Last year, Drugwash started a sub-thread about it, inside the 98SE2ME thread, and we discussed it in depth (to read it all, start at posts #923-931, then proceed through #940-948 to posts #952-955). These posts led RLoew to devise a patch, which he decided to release as freeware (many thanks, you rock! :thumbup), which fixes that bug for good. And the patcher he created for applying the patch is an inteligent one, able to recognize and patch correctly CDFS.VXD v. 4.10.1998; v. 4.10.1999; v. 4.90.3000; v. 4.90.3001 and v. 4.90.3002! So all possible variants for Win 98FE, Win 98SE and Win ME are covered by his patch. At that point, Drugwash and RetroOS (thanks to both of you, too, you rock! :thumbup) agreed to join me in testing the experimental patch for three months, and we found out it works perfectly and is harmless to the system. Now RLoew has released it, so it's available for all! :yes:

To get it, go to RLoew's Homepage, then to the "Prerelease and Beta Software" page, and there you'll find the CDFS Patch download link. After downloading the package, unzip it and follow intructions in the Readme.txt to apply the patch. One more Win 98/ME bug bites the ground!celebrate14.gif

Too bad the CDFS patch rloew made won't work under Win95 (BenoitRen is gonna be disappointed). Win95 can support DVDs with the appropriate DVD hardware & latest DirectX drivers installed under W95. His patch only works with Win98/ME.

And the patcher he created for applying the patch is an inteligent one, able to recognize and patch correctly CDFS.VXD v. 4.10.1998; v. 4.10.1999; v. 4.90.3000; v. 4.90.3001 and v. 4.90.3002!

Too bad the CDFS patch rloew made won't work under Win95 (BenoitRen is gonna be disappointed). Win95 can support DVDs with the appropriate DVD hardware & latest DirectX drivers installed under W95. His patch only works with Win98/ME.

I didn't say that! I enumerated the versions it's been tested with and known to work. If you can, please test it with the appropriate CDFS.VxD from Win 95 and report. Even in case it actually doesn't work, I believe RLoew can come up with a Win 95 version. The patcher knows what to patch, I don't think it tests for version at all.

I don't have a Windows 95 setup so I don't run tests on it.

My Patches use Pattern recognition to make changes. This way I avoid having to Patch each possible Version.

I ran my CDFS Patch Program on the CDFS.VXD Version 4.0.1111 I extracted from a Windows 95 CD. It Patched the File without any Problems.

Since this is the oldest, it should work for the other Windows 95 Versions as well.

• 1 month later...

Yes his absence from these forums is somewhat alarming, his last post was months ago now.

Having said that, it would be even more alarming if his homepage was not being updated.

Hope all is well.

Best regards,

Colin

I am beginning to get a bad feeling about this!!

Other than a short visit mid July, MDGx hasn't been seen here for a considerable length of time. I have this ever increasing worry that we may have lost MDGx to these forums.

I certainly hope not!