Win 98 Boot Problem

gamehead200

Guys, my cousin still has Win 98 on his computer (First Edition) and every time he starts his computer, this is what happens:

1) His computer shows the Win 98 boot screen but doesn't boot and the computer screen just goes into standby.

2) His boot menu for Safe Mode pops-up.

3) His computer boots but he can't login.

4) His computer goes through the boot process but shows a series of errors concerning Norton Anti-Virus and something concerning "z:login" but I don't know what it is.

Guys, do you have any ideas of what the problem might be? :)

Sounds like os corruption as well as colfilcting start up files with norton...possiably a virus..i would reccoment starting into DOS and Deltree the windows dir. then reinstall the Os.....and hook you friend up with 98se for christ sakes..... :)

=Drew

Although formats area a nice way to start a fresh, if you have anything important on the drive, you will lose it in the format. So like i said be4, i would reccomend to boot into DOS and Deltree your windows dir. from there reinstall 98 and backup all the important data on floppy or Cd. then from there format the drive and start from fresh.

=Drew

I think all my cousin has on his computer is games and his work, so I guess he could reinstall the games and put his work on a couple of floppies...I'll give him a copy of Win 98SE :rolleyes: !

win98se? why not give him a copy of win2k or xp, he'll stop bothering you then :)

I think all my cousin has on his computer is games and his work, so I guess he could reinstall the games and put his work on a couple of floppies...I'll give him a copy of Win 98SE :rolleyes: !

win98se? why not give him a copy of win2k or xp, he'll stop bothering you then :)

Yea, and teach him how to do a restore.

I have ran Win98, Win98SE, WinME, Win2K, and today WinXP on a P2 450 without any problems at all. Daily activities include multi-tasking FrontPage, Word, and Excel. The only game I play a few times a week is StarCraft online. All that with a 16 MB Voodoo Card and 256 MB SD-RAM.

Two words, Pentium Two. :)