WMIxWDM Machine Check Error

I've just try installing windows 2003 on my pc, however during the installation (that completes correctly) and when windows 2003 is running I'm continuosly getting an error that is shown in the event log as:

"Machine Check Event reported is a corrected error. "

I've tried updating the video drivers (I have an ati radeon videocard) and also my soundcard drivers and lan drivers, however I'm still getting that error.

The funny thing is that I get it only with windows 2003 and windows xp 64bit (that's built on windows 2003 and probably that's why it shows the same error): in fact when I use windows xp that error never appears.

Did somebody here experienced the same problem and/or knows what causes it or a way to fix it?

I have an a64 3000+, an asus a8v mainboard and a ati radeon video card and 1gb of infiniteon ram. The hd shouldn't be the cause of this issue because i've tried using a different hd but nothing changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :P

• 9 months later...

A machine check error is an error in the processor that is detected by the OS and is correctable (if it wasn't, your machine would bugcheck/bluescreen). This usually signifies that your processor may need to be repaired/replaced (hopefully under warranty), as these are hardware errors happening in the processor. Since these only occur when running x64 versions of Windows, it would stand to reason that these errors are occurring in one of the additional registers addressable only by 64bit software. You can disable this error on Server 2003, but since it is a serious error, you should try to replace that hardware under warranty while you still can.

912310: How to disable the corrected machine check on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;912310

A machine check error is an error in the processor that is detected by the OS and is correctable (if it wasn't, your machine would bugcheck/bluescreen). This usually signifies that your processor may need to be repaired/replaced (hopefully under warranty), as these are hardware errors happening in the processor. Since these only occur when running x64 versions of Windows, it would stand to reason that these errors are occurring in one of the additional registers addressable only by 64bit software. You can disable this error on Server 2003, but since it is a serious error, you should try to replace that hardware under warranty while you still can.

912310: How to disable the corrected machine check on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;912310

But, if the processor is having data corruption, then if you get and run Prime95, it shall fail, Prime95 often would give you an error message.

I always test my processors with Prime95.

Also, if the processor was the problem, the machine check error usually would be a BSOD, the BSOD would be ***STOP: 0x0000009C MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Also, if the processor is the problem, your more likely to get a BSOD when gaming then when at the desktop. You're less likely to get crashes when idle.

Processor errors can occur if the motherboard isn't feeding the processor the proper Vcore!

Some motherboards have a BIOS bug that cause it to not give it the proper Vcore!

Also, the above BSOD is a symptom to look for when OC'ing the processor. If you get the above BSOD or ***STOP: 0x000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL , increase the Vcore and try again. If that don't help, your processor is at the dreaded OC brick wall! Thus you likely have a crappy processor stepping.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Windows will try to correct soft errors whenever it can - however, if you're getting this message, the processor is at fault whether the box BSOD's or not. Also, make sure you're running the 64bit version of Prime95, because the 32bit version only stresses the 32bit subsystem and does not touch the extra registers and such that are 64bit only.