On which computer is the user logged on

He peoples,

I have a small problem / question, I want to see on which computer(name) a user logged on.

I´ve searched every where but I didn´t find a thing. The only thing that I found was: nbtstat but that´s reverse. with this commando you search on computername and then you see the user, that´s not what I want.

Hopefully can someone here help me out.

greetz

bebbus

Yes, I´m using a domain controller windows 2003 active directory around 2000 users. I tried several tools but with all tools I can see the computer and which user is logged on. I want to see the user and then I want to see which computer he logged on.

are you refering to finding what computer a certain user logged on throughout the day?

You can use Event Viewer for that and use the filter of it to narrow down the search results really easy.

You can use File Server Management to display useful stuff like all the shares on the server, the current seesions active, and the users currently logged on and on what machine/IP they are logged on to.

Regards,

Nath.

are you refering to finding what computer a certain user logged on throughout the day?

You can use Event Viewer for that and use the filter of it to narrow down the search results really easy.

You can use File Server Management to display useful stuff like all the shares on the server, the current seesions active, and the users currently logged on and on what machine/IP they are logged on to.

Regards,

Nath.

I don´t exactly know what you mean, but what I want is very easy (I think).

I want a tool I fill the userid in, the tool is searching the network and when he found the user and displays on which computer he´s logged on.

He peoples,

I have a small problem / question, I want to see on which computer(name) a user logged on.

I´ve searched every where but I didn´t find a thing. The only thing that I found was: nbtstat but that´s reverse. with this commando you search on computername and then you see the user, that´s not what I want.

Hopefully can someone here help me out.

greetz

bebbus

Put the following code into a batch file. You can add it to your logon script if you like. It will create a txt file named after the user. Inside it will be a list of every computer that person has logged onto since the script was first executed. If you like you could add a time command which will tell you what time each user logged onto each computer. This example will create a document for every user but you can have every user in the same document if you like.

echo %computername% >> %username%.txt

I´m trying to change the logon script, I don´t know if it´s going to work we will see soon.

The strange thing is when I use "net send" and a username it will appeare on the users screen.

This means that there is some kind of database that holds usernames and computernames. Or is this stupid thinking?

I´m trying to change the logon script, I don´t know if it´s going to work we will see soon.

The strange thing is when I use "net send" and a username it will appeare on the users screen.

This means that there is some kind of database that holds usernames and computernames. Or is this stupid thinking?

Net send messages are broadcasted to all computers, they are only shown, however, on computers where one of the parameters match... i.e. Domain Name, User Name, Computer Name

Ok, so if netsend use broadcast why can´t I use a command such as netsend with the parameter %username% or something like that.

Pstools uses the registry to find the username. but if there are 2000 computers this will take along time. and netsend works very fast.

net config server /srvcomment:%username%

If you add this to the logon script, this will add the username to the comments field when you browse the computers in My Network Places, entire network

Edited by Shane_pug