usb 2 problems with external hdd

hi guys..i got a thinkpad t21 laptop and its only usb 1.1...so i picked a pcmcia usb 2 card up so i can use a usb 2 external hdd on it....usb2 card installs correctly but when i plug the hdd into it ,in device manager it get the yellow symbol indicating that theres a error...which says mass storage device cannot start (code 10)....both card and hdd are brand new ....now when i plug the hdd into usb 1 port at rear it installs fine with no errors at all...other than box saying it can run faster if use usb2 device..... hope this makes sense to u guys....im using xp with sp2.....cheers....o btw...when i plug usb2 dvdwriter into card that works fine so its a strange problem

Make sure the device has proper installation drivers.

If thats already verified, try to isolate the isse by using the devise another another system, and see if you stil have the same results. If thats the case, most likly one of the things in not working and needs to be replaced

thx 4 fast reply...usb2 card is working fine as the usb 2 dvdwriter i also use is working fine on it...also the freecom website (which is the hdd manufacturer) says it needs no driver 4 it unless using win 98 ...hdd works ok only on usb 1 port though and detects that its a usb2 drive and says it will run faster if use usb 2 device...very strange issue.....i also have a thinkpad t20 on xp also and it gives me same error....thanks