Protecting UACD ! -Some Insight

2Martin Zugec

I implemented your script, it works flawlessly as i expected, and even before i applied i firmly believed that whatever you post here will work for sure. That's why i badly expected you to come forward with the code. I don't wear hat so i can't say "hat's off to you" and since i alredy commissioned my heart in favour of your brain(seeing your MAC magic work), the only thing that i can give you now is my head. Behead me Martin!

For some serious input, i come with another post very shortly.Not Now! It is the Day of Deliverence, sir, Pardon me.

2MSFN

Thanks, for providing me a platform from where i got the chance to Net-Meeting someone like Martin who inspite of Work Pressure came with a Code in office time for Whole UACD builder community.English adjectives become useless and speechless in times when silence is the only way to say something!

2ALL UACD Builders

Watch Martin's Code here. It , with some further modifications, if possible, can provide the ultimate solution towards protecting UACD from any sharing nightmare. If the logic behind using such method is realized properly, any forum member can only extract benefit from Martin's Code. My position is very clear. I have no objection to give my UACD to ALL PC USERS ALL OVER THE WORLD, but i want to make One PC users' copy his personal one. I am not jealous , rather generous to play the perfect Host to any guest asking attention about my UACD. I want to be santaclaus, but it's only me. Regarding my UACD project, I am the MONARCH of ALL i SURVEY! Period.

@MARTIN ZUGEC

In the 1st code, you use,

arrayAllowedHosts = array("20030716000000.000000+000")

here what are the meaning of 000000.000000+000 ?

now your bios build date and that of mine just missed by 6 days only. so near yet so far! that's why i wish if you could include BIOS build time inside the code. this can make the protection rock-solid. is it impossible to implement?

waiting your kind response.

2Moonlight: Hmmm, try to run this script - what is the output?

On Error Resume Next

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\CIMV2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_BIOS", "WQL", wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)
 For Each objItem In colItems
    strTemp = InputBox ("BIOS Release identificator","BIOS Release",objItem.SerialNumber)
 Next

I am not sure if this will work on every PC, it should be serial number (unique)

I was afraid of it :(

In that case try this:

On Error Resume Next

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\CIMV2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_BaseBoard", "WQL", wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)
For Each objItem In colItems
   strTemp = InputBox ("BIOS Release identificator","BIOS Release",objItem.SerialNumber)
Next

What can you see?

@Nois3

I've read about hiding files in a CDFS. I thought I had found it in flyakite's guide to creating a multiboot disc, but I've searched throughout all of his pages and I can't find anything on it. I really wish I could remember. It was pretty interesting. I never got a chance to test it, however. Come to think of it, I'm nearly positive I read about it on one of the following sites: UBCD, Bart's PE, or CDShell. You can google them if you're interested. Or I'll do it tomorrow. I must be headin' to bed right now.

Thanks for the info on your batch file. I think I'll go ahead and use it. :)

edit: Heh, I didn't realize that this thread was on page 3 already.

edit2: If UltraISO hides ALL files, then I'm guessing that it just makes the ISO UDF. That can be read from within Windows if the user has Roxio Easy CD Creator. The method that I saw allowed you to choose particular files to hide.

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

In UltraIso you can select with files or folders to hide,

this its a test.iso with one folder set to hidden.
this is view of the cd when read from within windows

@Moon

Here, I wrote this batch which SHOULD generate a file called "MartinsVBS.txt" in the same directory in which the batch is located. Go ahead and run this script, if you see MartinsVBS.txt, open it up and see if your BIOS ReleaseDate is in there. If it's not, then let me know and I'll see what I can do. :)

Here's the batch file:

http://www.gooffense.com/dumpydooby/BIOS_ReleaseDate.bat

PS-

Obviously, you can rename MartinsVBS.txt to whatever.vbs. It's just a mildly dangerous file, so I figured I would keep it as a text so people wouldn't accidently execute it.

@ Urie,

I suspect you just have your Windows Explorer set in "Playschool" mode. That's a term I use when your Explorer is set to not show hidden/system files and is not in details/2-pane mode. In Explorer - go into Tools / Folder Options and do the following:

[un-Check] Hide extentions for known file types

[un-Check] Hide protected operating system files

[select] Show hidden files and folders

And do yourself a favor, set your default view to "Details".

@ Martin,

Well, you've done it again. You last script solved a problem I've been having for ages... How to get the Motherboard serial number from my Intel motherboards using a script. Absolutely amazing, works perfectly!

I get about 19 spaces after the serial number in the results. Is there a quick way to delete this white-space after the data? And if you're not busy, maybe modify the script to prompt for a machine name so I can check for serial numbers over my network?

@Dumpy

yeah, it does the same thing as Martin's script does. but it doesn't solve the insecurity lied therein. Martin, during writting the script, selected a fictitious BIOS date and astonishingly that imaginary BIOS date is younger by just 6 days to the genuine BIOS release date of my machine. It is the Caveat. If we cannot include the BIOS release time (in my machine it is 8:58:02) , then ultimate protection based on BIOS method remains incomplete and unfulfilled.

Thanks. Think again for the sake of Whole UACD builder community.

P.S. BTW, MartinsVBS.txt doesn't have any BIOS release date in it . array AllowedHosts= array("Please")

Edited by MOONLIGHT SONATA

@Martin

wmic baseboard list full command returns following detail:

ConfigOptions=

Depth=

Description=Base Board

Height=

HostingBoard=TRUE

HotSwappable=

InstallDate=

Manufacturer=MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD

Model=

Name=Base Board

OtherIdentifyingInfo=

PartNumber=

PoweredOn=TRUE

Product=MS-6734

Removable=

Replaceable=

RequirementsDescription=

RequiresDaughterBoard=

SerialNumber=

SKU=

SlotLayout=

SpecialRequirements=

Status=

Tag=Base Board

Version=

Weight=

Width=

and,

wmic bios list full returns as below:

BiosCharacteristics={4,7,9,10,11,12,14,15,16,17,19,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,32

,33,34,36,37}

BuildNumber=

CodeSet=

CurrentLanguage=n|US|iso8859-1

Description=Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

IdentificationCode=

InstallableLanguages=3

InstallDate=

LanguageEdition=

ListOfLanguages={"n|US|iso8859-1","n|US|iso8859-1","r|CA|iso8859-1"}

Manufacturer=Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Name=Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG