Protecting UACD ! -Some Insight

OK, i'll definitely give it a try. your advices are always valuable.

but tha'll take some time from me. i can't say result now. i've to burn an ISO and see what happens... please visit this thread again tomorrow, better if at this time, at this time i'm present in forum for a long long time.

i'm so obessed with this concept since the days of MAC address that seeing it not working hurts so badly.

Please, don't leave me unattended.

-MOON

@Martin,

now i've one question which comes to my mind every now and then, but MSFN's Unattended .pdf guide has no comment about this. Both the RunOnceEx.cmd and cmdlines.txt ever get copied to HDD or they remain static inside $OEM$ folder in the CD.

i'm asking this stupid question just because RunOnceEx.cmd needs to be run from cmdlines.txt and because of CD structure bindings cmdlines.txt needs to be inside $OEM$ folder. So, is there any way to hide the presence of RunOnceEx.cmd or cmdlines.txt from prying eyes?

If, they get copied to HDD, then, at least, i can hide RunOnceEx.cmd by putting it into the said ZIP Archive.

Excuse me for my stupidity which always keeps me thinking and sails me through.

Hmmm, I cant be 100% sure (I never used unattended CD), but for unattended network installations there are copied to HDD, so it should be the same.

You can simply try it, add

cd > c:\cd.log

to your cmdlines.txt and you will see where it was launched from :)

@Martin,

Nope, in no way the script is working. i've tried 3 installs today, all in vein.

Then, i got the problem worked out, just by using Wscript.exe and protectUA.vb script:

ObjShell.Run ("C:\PKUNZIP -e -d -s" & strPassword & " C:\CzecMate.zip C:\", 0, True)

And here is what after correction:

ObjShell.Run ("C:\PKUNZIP -e -d -s" & strPassword & " C:\CzecMate.zip C:\"), 0, True

Now, the .ZIP archive gets extracted if i simply drag ProtectUA.VBs into the wscript.exe.

just imagine and appreciate how fast i'm learning by mere interacting with you!

Thanks, hopefully problem solved, but one problem still remains...

Authentication pass or failure, whatever the result, i don't want that CzecMate.zip and PKUNZIP.EXe remain at the root of C:\ Can it not be done from your script that in both success and failure , these 2 zip and unzipper gets deleted?

Please, help....

--MOON

@Martin,

An idea is of no use if it's not implemented . BIOS release date based idea came to my mind only because i watched your MAC address based idea. But, your contribution is immense and the most crucial. If anybody watches this thread he can see the difference between my effort and yours. You always have the free hand of editing the 1st Page and that's the place where the script should be.

After you post the script , i think this thred will die its natural death. I will write a parting comment in tribute to the man who, except me, visited this thread most. A man who , after Poborsky-Rui Costa -Milan Baros , touched my heart with the kind of warmth i've never realised in this forum before.

------MOON

@Martin,

Uff, At last you visited msfn, mate! i was getting worried about your health. now, i'm relieved. no problem, i'll wait till any day. first, take rest.

BTW, if i run from CMDLINES.TXT:

"cscript //nologo ProtectUA.VBS"

the script is not extracting the ZIP archive. The reason is that cscript.exe is not finding ProtectUA.vbs. Now, to succeed, where should i place ProtectUA.VBs ? Inside the system32 folder or inside the $OEM$ folder?

My problem is with i've already checked the following combinations, not a single one working:

<1> ProtectUA.VBS and Cscript.EXE both inside the $OEM$ folder.

<2> ProtectUA.VBS only under $OEM$ folder.

What do you suggest? Another question:

As per UA.PDF guide of this forum any .CMD file if i run from CMDLINES.TXT it should remain by the side of CMDLINES.TXT inside the $OEM$ folder. For example, RunOnceEx.cmd. Now, if i put

"cscript //nologo ProtectUA.VBS" in CMDLINES.TXT, does that mean that i should place Cscript.exe and ProtectUA.VBS both inside the $OEM$ folder?

From CMDLINES.TXT, is it not possible to add %PATH% to run a file?

Your opinion please.

----MOON

• 2 weeks later...

Lets get back to work :) I posted the latest version to first post of this thread with Moonlight permission.

You cant use this script from cmdlines however, because not all WMI classes are available at that time. You must use it as first entry in RunOnceEx.

Let me know if it is working

@Martin,

Script is working well upto extraction of ZIP archive. Then, generates error in case of file deletion at last. Here's the message that i get:

Line: 44

Char: 1

error: Object required:"

Relieved to see you getting back to work..Missed you so much all the week.

=====MOON

Edited by MOONLIGHT SONATA