Windows Update to non IE users

lleoliveira

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com Page Information:

Why use WindizUpdate?

Not only will it keep you up to date with the latest updates from Microsoft, it will also keep software and drivers from other vendors updated. However, that functionality is currently missing.

Good reasons to use WindizUpdate

No personally identifiable information is collected from your computer.

No more unwanted spyware -- Microsoft Internet Explorer can finally be removed from your computer.

It lists just the updates you need. If an update has been superceded by a newer one, it will not ask you to install the older one.

Using enhanced data from MSBA, WindizUpdate will find more security patches needed for your O/S than the "other" website.

If there is a security issue with a component that you have not got installed, it will not ask you to update it. For example, if you have not installed hyperterminal, it will not update it.

It is not restricted to just Microsoft products. Software from other vendors can also be updated.

Upgrading to the latest version of Internet Explorer is not considered a Critical Update!

Works on Windows versions no longer supported by Microsoft -- Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 95

Our plugin is not an ActiveX control.

Integrated download manager with error detection -- you can cancel downloads at any time, and the next time you wish to install the cancelled update, it will continue from where it left off. Only corrupted sections of the file are redownloaded.

If you are still not convinced that WindizUpdate is the site for you, please check out our page titled "do we need to say any more?

An important note from the Microsoft website:

"UPDATE: Time is running out! Please note that the mechanism to temporarily disable delivery of Windows XP SP2 is only available for a period of 240 days (8 months) from August 16, 2004. At the end of this period (after April 12, 2005), Windows XP SP2 will be delivered to all Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1 systems."

WindizUpdate does not require XPSP2, nor force you to install it. Time IS running out -- Disable Microsoft Automatic Updates now!

Disadvantages

There is a delay from when new updates are released from Microsoft to when they appear on this site.

If you're using Internet Explorer, you will need to use Microsoft's Windows Update site for updates -- this site will be of no use to you.

You'll need to upgrade your browser if you're using MSIE 4.xx -- This site won't work, neither will Microsoft's.

WindizUpdate is not affiliated with or authorized by Microsoft. "Microsoft Windows" is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.

Umm so your site doesn't push critical IE patches and it feels that XP SP2 isn't critical. And this site is usefull how? From a XP standpoint, it's extremely close minded. The fact that I can't even browse the site via IE is just silly.

I think somebody and a couple friends got together and couldn't figure out if they should make an Anti MS webpage or a 3rd party site to collect all kinds of updates so they made one site that tries to do both, and poorly at that.

PS: I'd like to point out that if you haven't actually removed IE but choose to use a 3rd party browser, not installing IE updates IS a critical flaw in your system, even if you don't surf the web with it. And anybody that thinks XP SP2 is bad is sniffing glue.

Edited by Rhelic

:blink: xp sp2 rocks and ie is still tied into the makeup of xp and some websites wont display propertly without sure it is rude forcing users to use it sure u could nlite it out and use firefox but the xpsp2 ie seems to work well and ie 7 seem promising and anti ms webpage were made because windows 95 constant crashes and the lack of ram most people had cirra 1996-97.

Hi Everybody,

Anyone got to work with WindizUpdate www.windowsupdate.62nds.com on Windows 98SE without Internet Explorer (Unofficial Win98 SE Service Pack, 98SE2ME, Revolutions Pack 3.6)?

:hello::hello:

Edited by lleoliveira

Umm so your site doesn't push critical IE patches and it feels that XP SP2 isn't critical.  And this site is usefull how?  From a XP standpoint, it's extremely close minded.  The fact that I can't even browse the site via IE is just silly.

I think somebody and a couple friends got together and couldn't figure out if they should make an Anti MS webpage or a 3rd party site to collect all kinds of updates so they made one site that tries to do both, and poorly at that.

PS: I'd like to point out that if you haven't actually removed IE but choose to use a 3rd party browser, not installing IE updates IS a critical flaw in your system, even if you don't surf the web with it.  And anybody that thinks XP SP2 is bad is sniffing glue.

oh yeah you've said it Rhelic! XP SP2 worked fine on my brother's desktop and laptop machines; both using XP home edition. the laptop ran better with sp2. plus, I've updated all the apps on both PCs that are xp sp2 compatible.

forget it! i'm not going to bother using the freakin' WindizUpdate site. better off downloading & saving updates from Microsoft download center. The V5 & V6 Windows Update sites do support resuming downloads though the V5/V6 Windows Update pages only work with Win2000, XP & 2003.

done posting on this thread.

I'd like to add that despite how my inital post sounds, I actually think a 3rd party update site that adds more functionality (Win95, Win98, common 3rd party apps, etc) is a good thing but as long as your site DICTATES that you can't use IE and pretends that SP2 is crap is nothing but propiganda pushing.

I'm not saying you have to require SP2 but it's still a CRITICAL update to XP, like it or not.

Edited by Rhelic

• 1 month later...

62nds.com has been around for a long time. I've got some old DOS utilities they made that I still have occasion to use. I agree about XP SP2 being important (in fact, as soon as the final release became available I started using it in our preinstalls at work), but some corporations still haven't finished testing SP2 in their network and don't want to be forced to upgrade which makes this a nice alternative. There are some things they could do better with the Windiz Update site, but in general this is a pretty good idea.

but some corporations still haven't finished testing SP2 in their network and don't want to be forced to upgrade which makes this a nice alternative.
Companies have had around 10 months to test, and actually 2-3 additional months longer considering that SP2 was available in beta before that for testing.

99% of the time when SP2 "breaks" something, it's purely because of the firewall. The firewall can be disabled during enterprise deployement, but keeping it enabled and passing the proper configuration for the enterprise is a more secure setup. The only security that works is a layered approach, not the "everything is filtered on the internet proxy and everything inside the network is safe" scenario. Every machine on a network should have a firewall, in fact, to have a truely secure scenario, they MUST have one.

But now we digress off topic.

• 3 months later...

you know what strikes me as realy kind a stupid? -

that the worst kinda flame agains this is about XP and SP2....

sorry guys but in a 9x windows forum thats a bit lame (imho).

to those who think IE updates are manditory for update, i agrea.

to those who actualy think IE is manditory for use, i strongly dis-agrea.

IE IS removeble and, it is (in some cases) rather desirable to do so.

Since for example, the best and stronger IE-security fixes, and build-in anti-malware

features, have not been implemented in windows 9x builds of IE, - that WILL leave you vunerable to exploits.

there are many other reasons to eradicate IE from ur windows, like, 'buggs'. 'footprint', 'temination of mainstream support', and other....

but in the same perspective, 'windize.update (on win 9x)' is about as useless as it gets since there arn't any new updates anyways....

i guess this would be, more like a feature to win 2k (left mainstream but still aligable for security fixes).

and XP (wich is stil in mainstream)

Companies have had around 10 months to test, and actually 2-3 additional months longer considering that SP2 was available in beta before that for testing.
We have about, 50 mayor aps, to test, before even thinking about migrating. and it took us about 20 months to test wether to even use xp,

So far thare where to many aps that didn't work well with windows xp SP1 - (so we stayed with w2k),

Now the process has to be done all over again to try if sp2 fixes the problems,

as well as whether the software companies, have released patches, for the software we use, to work better with xp.

Up untill now about 3 aplications still can't be fixed, (yet),

And about 12 of 13 havend even been tested yet...

testing a mirgration to a new os (cuz sp2 is way more than just a firewall), with limited time on ur hands, is

quite an undertaking, and crashing an entire system through lack of testing, is THE nightmare of EVERY sys-admin. (it wouldn't just get you to lose a job but probebly way more, like destroying your entire career, and maybe even a damages claim).

Edited by -I-