Recommended?

Charles

heh, i actually go to CCL its only up the road from me :)

Can i ask why it has to be an intel CPU? very pricey, specially a 2.8ghz.

you could get an AMD cpu for a LOT less money and maybe get some more ram as well or something. hell... maybe even a graphics card depending what you buy.

Hello everyone.

I think I am about due for an update on my computer.

I want to get an Intel Pentium 4

2.8GHz CPU

What motherboard goes good with that?

I would wait a little while ... Intel will soon add Hypertreading to all P4s from 2.4Ghz and up ... that will be worth waiting for!

As for a motherboard, I have this one and it runs perfect! ... :) .. It also supports hypertreading!

I'm not going to tell you which one is better or which one is the best but benchmarks after benchmarks from highly qualified pc vendors, magazines and review sites have a higher rating for ASUS Motherboards than any other boards out there. Both for Intel and AMD.

You'll find allot people swear by AMD , has allot to do with price. Ive ran both CPU's and don't bother me in performance which one is running. There both good. Good luck on your search.

Also keep in mind before you choose anything do some homework. If you need some sites to read up on boards let me know and Ill post some for you. But always do your homework. It may take you a few weeks but in the end it will help you out instead of jumping on the band wagon and choosing fast.

I'm with Xperties! I did some reading but still got in a hurry and have had a MB that is incompatible with my Vid card for over a year now! I get lock-ups all the time and there's nothing I can do...If I'd just been a little patient and taken the time to do some thorough research...I'd be much better off right now.

Rick :)

I have 2 ASUS, 2 PCchips, 1 INTEL and a ECS. By all means get an ASUS MB IMHO. Of course the advice that has been given by all is very correct.

Research, research, resurch......................

I would not own the INTEL if I had done more resurch............

Have fun.. :)

There are a lot of good boards out there.Go to say Tom's Hardware or Overclockers,Extreme Tech or another recomended site where they test the latest mobos.Usually there will be 4 or 5 top rated with the latest updates.Personally I like Abit,but I have built Epox,FIC,ECS,and some not so reliable brands.Chip speed is a factor but look for features such as serial ATA,USB 2.0,fastest FSB,RAID,8x AGP,1394a firewire.New out are the Nforce2 Nvidia mobos which have 6 top contenders.Abit NF7-S,Chaintech 7NJS,Asus A7N8X,Epox 8RDA+,Leadtech K7NCR18D pro,and MSI K7N2.Those are AMD based.For Intel There are Intel D850EMV2,Asus P4T533-C,Iwill P4R533-N,DFI NT72 SA,VIA P4PB 400,Shuttle AS45GTR.Those are the best so far,in 3mos. there will be a new batch.