Integrating Windows Update V6

yup, 100% sure that cab has the activex control as this is the shortcut used to launch Microsoft Update

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\muweb.dll,LaunchMUSite

The file goes to the system32 directory, register the dll and create the shortcut in All Programs to this link

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\muweb.dll,LaunchMUSite

havent tested this, and am not sure if more files r required to make this possible.

Looks like Shark's Method works the best. I have not tried it yet, but I did go to Windows update and updated the client to version 6. Here is my log after the update. This should clear up a lot of things about Shark's method. It appears that a few more .dll files have to be registered.

So if you are using his method. Download the new files, use ModifyPE to correct the checksums, then use makecab to recompress them. Drop them into your i386 folder. The one missing file wups2.dll should be copied into

$OEM$\$$\System32

as mentioned in Shark's original guide and then using Cleanup or Reboot.cmd to register the .dll

Please note: I have found several other files that need to be registered, instead of just one.

Good luck.

===========  Logging initialized (build: 5.8.0.2469, tz: -0400)  ===========
Misc   = Process: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Misc   = Module: C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuweb.dll
Setup ***********  Setup: Checking whether self-update is required  ***********
Setup   * Inf file: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wusetup.inf
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll: target version = 5.5.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\iuengine.dll: target version = 5.4.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll: target version = 5.4.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe: target version = 5.4.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt1.exe: target version = 5.4.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaucpl.cpl: target version = 5.4.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll: target version = 5.4.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll: target version = 5.4.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll: target version = 5.4.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll: target version = 5.4.3790.2182, required version = 5.8.0.2469
Setup Update required for C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll: target version = 0.0.0.0, required version = 5.8.0.2469

This checks to see if I need an update. My previous version was 5.4.3790.2182, the new version 6 code is 5.8.0.2649. Notice all the required files are listed.

cdm.dll

iuengine.dll

wuapi.dll

wuauclt.exe

wuauclt1.exe

wuaucpl.cpl

wuaueng.dll

wuaueng1.dll

wucltui.dll

wups.dll

wups2.dll

This list appears to be incomplete as my system32 folder has a few more files relating to Windows Update with version 5.8.0.2469. So it is best to use the complete list from Shark's post.

Setup   * IsUpdateRequired = Yes
Setup *************
Setup ** START **  Setup: Downloading client CABs
Setup *********
Setup   * Main CAB URL: http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/b/selfupdate/AU/x86/XP/en
Setup   * MUI CAB URL: http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/b/selfupdate/AU/x86/XP/mui
Setup   * Download directory: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup
Setup *********
Setup **  END  **  Setup: Downloading client CABs
Setup *************
Setup *************
Setup ** START **  Setup: Installing client binaries
Setup *********
Setup   * Download directory: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup
Setup   * Stop and start service: Yes

So it proceeds to download the required files from

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windo...te/AU/x86/XP/en

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windo...e/AU/x86/XP/mui

Service received SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP control
Exiting Service Main
Out of proc datastore is shutting down
WUAUENG ServiceMain exits. Exit code is 0x240001
Out of proc datastore is now inactive
Setup Starting file operations for section cdm
Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\cdm.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll.wusetup.124538687.new
Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll.wusetup.124538687.new to C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll
File operations for section cdm completed successfully
Starting file operations for section iuengine
Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\iuengine.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\iuengine.dll.wusetup.124541046.new
Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\system32\iuengine.dll.wusetup.124541046.new to C:\WINDOWS\system32\iuengine.dll
File operations for section iuengine completed successfully
Starting file operations for section wuapi
Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuapi.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll.wusetup.124541406.new
WARNING: Could not move C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll.wusetup.124541406.bak due to 0x80070020
File operations for section wuapi completed successfully
Starting file operations for section wuauclt
Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuauclt.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe.wusetup.124541593.new
Setup Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe.wusetup.124541593.new to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
Setup File operations for section wuauclt completed successfully
Setup Starting file operations for section wuauclt1
Setup Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuauclt1.exe to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt1.exe.wusetup.124541906.new
Setup Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt1.exe.wusetup.124541906.new to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt1.exe
Setup File operations for section wuauclt1 completed successfully
Setup Starting file operations for section wuaucpl
Setup Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuaucpl.cpl to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaucpl.cpl.wusetup.124542218.new
Setup Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaucpl.cpl.wusetup.124542218.new to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaucpl.cpl
Setup File operations for section wuaucpl completed successfully
Setup Starting file operations for section wuaueng_WebSetup
Setup Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuaueng.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll.wusetup.124542671.new
Setup Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll.wusetup.124542671.new to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
Setup File operations for section wuaueng_WebSetup completed successfully
Setup Starting file operations for section wuaueng1
Setup Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuaueng1.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll.wusetup.124544250.new
Setup Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll.wusetup.124544250.new to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll
Setup File operations for section wuaueng1 completed successfully
Setup Starting file operations for section wucltui
Setup Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wucltui.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll.wusetup.124544750.new
Setup Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll.wusetup.124544750.new to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
Setup Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuauhelp.chm to C:\WINDOWS\help\wuauhelp.chm.wusetup.124545140.new
Setup Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\help\wuauhelp.chm.wusetup.124545140.new to C:\WINDOWS\help\wuauhelp.chm
Setup Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wuau.adm to C:\WINDOWS\INF\wuau.adm.wusetup.124545250.new
Setup Setup successfullly moved C:\WINDOWS\INF\wuau.adm.wusetup.124545250.new to C:\WINDOWS\INF\wuau.adm
Setup File operations for section wucltui completed successfully
Setup Starting file operations for section wups
Setup Successfully copied source file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wups.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll.wusetup.124545375.new
Setup File operations for section wups completed successfully
Setup Starting file operations for section wups2
Setup Successfully copied source file

Now it kills the process and copies the new files over to c:\windows\system32

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WebSetup\wups2.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll.wusetup.124545484.new
Setup Setup found that target file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll doesn't exist
Setup Setup successfullly moved
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll.wusetup.124545484.new to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll

wups2.dll

This is the new file that is missing from version 5. Copy this to $OEM$\$$\System32

Setup	File operations for section wups2 completed successfully
Setup Starting registry operations for section cdm
Setup Completed registration operations for section cdm: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section iuengine
Setup Completed registration operations for section iuengine: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section wuapi
Setup Completed registration operations for section wuapi: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section wuauclt
Setup Completed registration operations for section wuauclt: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section wuauclt1
Setup Completed registration operations for section wuauclt1: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section wuaucpl
Setup Completed registration operations for section wuaucpl: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section wuaueng_WebSetup

Checking to make sure the files are registered in the registry.

Setup	Registering binary: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe  /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll"
Setup Completed registration operations for section wuaueng_WebSetup: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section wuaueng1
Setup Registering binary: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe  /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll"
Setup Completed registration operations for section wuaueng1: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section wucltui
Setup Registering binary: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe  /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll"
Setup Completed registration operations for section wucltui: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section wups
Setup Completed registration operations for section wups: status 0
Setup Starting registry operations for section wups2
Setup Registering binary: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe  /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll"
Setup Completed registration operations for section wups2: status 0

According to this, there should be four files that need to be registered.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll"

C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll"

C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll"

C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll"

Setup	Processing registry operations completed. Deleting backup files.
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll.wusetup.124538687.bak
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\system32\iuengine.dll.wusetup.124541062.bak
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe.wusetup.124541593.bak
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt1.exe.wusetup.124541906.bak
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaucpl.cpl.wusetup.124542234.bak
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll.wusetup.124542671.bak
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng1.dll.wusetup.124544250.bak
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll.wusetup.124544765.bak
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\help\wuauhelp.chm.wusetup.124545140.bak
Setup Successfully deleted backup file C:\WINDOWS\INF\wuau.adm.wusetup.124545250.bak

Deleting back ups files from version 5

Misc	===========  Logging initialized (build: 5.8.0.2469, tz: -0400)  ===========
Misc   = Process: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
Misc   = Module: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
Service *************
Service ** START **  Service: Service startup
Service *********

Restarting Update Service

Setup	Registering binary: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe  /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wuapi.dll\5.8.0.2469\wuapi.dll"
Setup Registering binary: C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe  /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wups.dll\5.8.0.2469\wups.dll"

Here register two more .dll files

regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wuapi.dll\5.8.0.2469\wuapi.dll"

regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wups.dll\5.8.0.2469\wups.dll"

Agent   * WU client version 5.8.0.2469
Agent   * SusClientId = ' <deleted>'
Agent   * Base directory: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
Agent   * Access type: No proxy
Agent   * Network state: Connected
Setup *********
Setup **  END  **  Setup: Installing client binaries
Setup *************
Misc ===========  Logging initialized (build: 5.8.0.2469, tz: -0400)  ===========
Misc   = Process: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Misc   = Module: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SoftwareDistribution\Setup\ServiceStartup\wuapi.dll\5.8.0.2469\wuapi.dll

The rest of Windows Update continues

Edited by Gee

@gee : You only need to register wup2.dll, since the other files are already there in i386

(assuming you copied the updated v6 one's) and get registered as a result of normal installation and also since you are merely copying wups2.dll to system32 not integrating it .

@body: To get microsoft update to work you require Windows installer 3.1, windows update v6 files and the muweb.dll file.

Windows installer link is

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

The Windows update v6 files are in the first post of this topic.

@gee : You only need to register wup2.dll, since the other files are already there in i386

(assuming you copied the updated v6 one's)  and get registered as a result of normal installation and also since you are merely copying wups2.dll to system32 not integrating it .

Good point, since the files are recompressed back into i386, when they are unpacked during setup, they would have been registered.

I should have known that. It is getting late, I should get some sleep.

here we speak about integrated version of V6 .. not silent install or simple install ...

Sorry if I don't understand the two past posts ... (french here ...)

integrated or not to integrate..

I like to leave the original files as much as possible original cause when a new update comes out it easier to change later.

I use the SVCPACK.INF and when they come up with a new list I do a min install then update the [setupHotfixesToRun] list.........

when you integrate you have to redo the integration after major updates anyway

to me just a waste of time...

I have played and always go back to SVCPACK.INF......

There have been issue/conflicts with integrating update so using the SVCPACK.INF clears those issues,,,,,,,

But like I tell people you can do it how ever you want it is your computer

Just my two cents...

Mac!

I have a question why are trying to reinvent the wheel and not just use the full installer that was posted above. .....

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43264

M$ already made a package to install the V6 site file......

I agree with you, but this post was about integration.

Using the Microsoft pack and SVCPack is better, because if a new version arrives, it would be easier to just replace the package Microsoft released.

The downside is that the installer is 4.3 Megs. This is due to all the extra languages. So if space is a problem, you better repack the installer by removing all the unnecessary languages.