Speed of XP vs 98 ?

jasinwa

On an AMD Athlon 800 (OC to 950) PC I have, I run W98SE. I have it pretty fine tuned and felt the PC was pretty quick.

For example, I run spybot S/D and after running it 2x (how I do my test) to clear all detected spyware, etc...I time it 3x. In 98SE, it takes 1m 37s with the latest 1.4 version and latest detects.....

So I load XP Home on that system (albeit not fully tweaked out and still needs activation) and it takes 3m 0s !!! :o

I would think XP should be faster.....but my tests proved otherwise in this case anyway....

That's a BIG difference to try and comprehend...

Well i have 2.1GHZ p4 processor and a 60 gig hard drive and windows xp professional

and when i run that program it takes less than a minute i think its your computer because when you bought your computer it came whith windows 98se not xp and xp needs more space,memory and a faster CPU to run faster. Thats all what i can say.

Just installed XP (nlited - 1.04b) on an old AMD k6-500, 128Mb, 8.4 Gb HD, or something similar, which used to have Win98 on it. It seems to run slightly slower for obivous reasons, but is a **** sight more stable.

Well i have 2.1GHZ p4 processor and a 60 gig hard drive and windows xp professional

and when i run that program it takes less than a minute i think its your computer because when you bought your computer it came whith windows 98se not xp and xp needs more space,memory and a faster CPU to run faster. Thats all what i can say.

No, I made this computer from pieces...it had no OS, so I had 98SE at the time and I can tweak it pretty good.

And I have about 5G of programs/data on the PC already, so it's not an issue of the OS being larger (I also have turned off restore on xp, etc)...

I can't imagine really why it runs so slow vs 98SE, one would think it would run close at least....the difference to me is staggering.

Oh, it has an 80G HD and 384M ram...agp 4x ATI card with 32M vid

and I think the Athlon is more equivilent to a P3, not a P2.

I have a notebook, P3, 866 and it takes about 3 min to run Spybot...

Edited by jasinwa

Windows 98 is faster in some operations, such as loading a program, but XP can manage it better to have four applications running at the same time, where 98 will start to crawl on its knees. 98 can't manage the same amount of resources XP can or the amount of resources necessary to run certain games (GTA VC for example)

It is a pretty fast GUI if your needs aren't... shall I say... "intense" if you install it well on the first try and if you don't have any hardware problems, 98 can be very stable as a server if you just leave it on and not run anything else, or even touch it. Where XP you can still use its full power while it does his secondary job.

Windows 98/se unless tweaked all to hell, and registry reworked, is limited only to use resources upto 128 megs. You can have 256, 512, & 1gb, but 98 will see it, but not use anything over 128. Typical M$ thought, and not seeing anything into the future. Now you can rmove those settings in the registry, but it's a pain in the a**, and anything set over 1024 will cause 98 to become even more unstable.

XP doens't have such issues, and it's alot more stable than 98. As for boot time, I dont remember 98, and I have a P4 3ghz and 4gb of GEIL Dual channel on an Asus mobo and a pair of Sata 120's.

As a rule of thumb, the older the OS, the faster it will be on newer machines, UNLESS there are driver problems(like poorly or unsupported hardware).

Quite naturally the enhanced features of newish OS's require more resources.

PLEASE NOT another Windows98 is faster than XP, yes, but it is outdated flame war, we already had one:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=37402

(all 45 pages of it)

:P

(or go directly to my post there:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=37402&st=411#)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Someone said 98 was a 16-bit OS. Oh my. RTFM. The last 16-bit OS was Windows 3.1.

There's a ton of new hardware that won't run on anything other than 2000/XP. 98 doesn't support HT, can't use sufficient amounts of memory to run the latest apps, and can't utilize hardware DEP.

So yeah, depends on what boat you're in.

Nice I gotta go home and check out how long it takes for my XP based laptop to perform the same task. It would be cool to see numbers from members of the forum on certain things like...how long it takes to run program xxx version so and so based on hardware configs and xp tweaks. It would be kind of interesting I think.

Someone said 98 was a 16-bit OS.  Oh my.  RTFM.  The last 16-bit OS was Windows 3.1.

There's a ton of new hardware that won't run on anything other than 2000/XP.  98 doesn't support HT, can't use sufficient amounts of memory to run the latest apps, and can't utilize hardware DEP.

So yeah, depends on what boat you're in.

Actually Windows 98 was 16 bit, and emulated 32bit, which is why Win 98 was still dos based. Windows 3.1 was 8 bit, 3.11 for workgroups was 16 bit.

I bet none of you have ever used Windows version 1, it was a 4 bit OS, with B&W GUI.

Oh crap, I just revealed my age :P

I just spent the weekend trying 2000pro and the weekend before that trying XPpro SP2.

THEY SUCK !!

There is no other word for them. ntfs format crap, open ports, file sharing garbage.

I WILL NEVER GO BACK

Spybot takes 41 seconds with 98se.And when I delete something, its deleted !

As for restoring, scanreg /restore works fine.

Windows 98se ROCKS, if Microsoft had any brains like they had in 98 they would bring out a "98 platinum "

Dude that says Xp is far superior is wack.