Unattended and Windows Activation

I use an OEM version that has to be activated so I don't think the

retail version would be any different. The only difference is the

retail can do an upgrade where the OEM can't

It is possible to avoid re-activating your Windows by copying a file from your hard drive to your UACD. I can't remember which file it is, but do a search and you'll find what you want.

• 1 month later...
The only catch is that the file must be copied from the computer that the UACD is being used with.

I created a UACD with the wpa.dbl file in the $OEM$\$$\system32

I am using the UACD on the system that I got the wpa.dbl file from.

However, after the install completes I am still prompted to activate windows.

I checked the file size after the install and noticed that the wpa.dbl file on my system drive was about half the size of the one I copied to the uacd.

So, I checked the source I used for the UACD to make sure that I actually did put the correct file there. It checked out...matched perfectly with the backup I made.

It looks like the file I had automaticlly copied was overwritten by windows or did not get copied properly.

I now manually moved the correct wpa.dbl file to my system32 directory on my system drive. Since moving this file manually windows activation has not popped up asking me to activate but it possibly has not had enough time since I moved the file.

My question is:

Is there something else we are supposed to do when backing up our activation other than just copying the file to the $OEM$\$$\system32? Do we need to add a reg tweak or a command in a batch file or something?

I checked the guide but it doesn't say to do anything else.

Thanks for any help or clarification you can provide. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone figure that out?

I tried the same with my OEM copy of XP Pro. I added the wpa.dbl file from my machine to $OEM$\$$\system32, upon install I was still prompted to activate windows even though OEMPreInstall="Yes" was set in my winnt.sif.

Well.. wpa.dbl doesn't work by itself. You have to consider other few stuff, mostly regarding hardware changes. Also, the Volume ID of the C hard drive. Wpa reads that too, and if you format the drive to install windows, it will get changed. You can use "Change Harddisk Volume ID" (search on google for the program) to find that out before installing, and then restore the original value. If you don't do major hardware changes... then there should be no problem, if you use the initial wpa file.

Also, for OEM versions, wpa.dbl checks for few oem*.* files in system32 folder (oembios.bin, oembios.sig, oembios.cat, etc), because these files are specially created considering the hardware (in my case, my laptop's motherboard).

Actually today I did an experiment, installing a n-lited win version, made from my OEM version, backing-up initially wpa.dbl and the oem files, and restoring them afterwards, and it is working now (only problem was during setup, asking for a oembios.cat, that I forgot to copy to the kit... but it's ok. I think oembios.bin is the most important, along wpa.dbl). It even worked without restoring the original volume ID. (in my previous attempts, without the oem* files, it kept asking for activation)

Hope this helps! :)

sorry for my english...

• 6 months later...

jcarle said:

Anyone figure that out?

I tried the same with my OEM copy of XP Pro. I added the wpa.dbl file from my machine to $OEM$\$$\system32, upon install I was still prompted to activate windows even though OEMPreInstall="Yes" was set in my winnt.sif.

Well, the solution was simple...!

What was happening to you, is that the I386 folder on the installation CD has a "cabbed" wpa.dbl, which looks like: "WPA.DB_", and it is taking precedence over your wpa.dbl file which is "uncabbed".

So, the solution was to cab your wpa.dbl in dos window, by typing "makecab WPA.DBL"

Then, place the new WPA.DB_ in the I386 installation folder, over-writing the old one... Done! ;)

OK so maybe you know any trick to skip the Windows Geuine Validation or checking of authenticity... i'v got some problems with it even in my legal WindowsXP... i have no idea why... M$ answer nothing to me... i found some tricks by google, but they works after install of tool witch chek that...

any ideas ??