Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Disable Found New Hardware Wizard

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

tridgely

tridgely

• 28 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05
Is there a way to turn off the Found New Hardware Wizard, so that Windows will just automatically search its driver cache for good drivers when a hardware device is inserted, without asking for user input?

I've been searching everywhere and haven't been able to find an answer. Any help is greatly appreciated!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

schalti

schalti

Junior

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 22-July 04

Is there a way to turn off the Found New Hardware Wizard, so that Windows will just automatically search its driver cache for good drivers when a hardware device is inserted, without asking for user input?

I've been searching everywhere and haven't been able to find an answer.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the driver is signed that's what usually happens. No user intervention.

The following registry Keys enhance the behaviour of the Hardware Wizard.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]
"DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001
"DontPromptForWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001
"DontSearchCD"=dword:00000001
"DontSearchFloppies"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing]
"BehaviorOnFailedVerify"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing]

:blushing:

tridgely

tridgely

• 28 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05
Well, here's what's happening.

I am getting the Found New Hardware Wizard whenever I plug anything in that wasn't plugged in during the Setup. This is bad, because I'm switching keyboards and mice around and then I can't click Next!

If I could turn it OFF and have Windows just search, it would find what it wants. If I click Next on the wizard, then it finds what it wants and installs it automatically (without warning about the driver signing, because the drivers are signed).

I was originally using RyanVM's packs, nLite, and BTS DriverPacks. I am now testing each progressively, starting from a standard SP2 slipstream, to figure out where the problem gets introduced.

With plain SP2, I can plug in my usb keyboard and it installs totally unattended.

If I use nLite to integrate RyanVM's packs, the wizard pops up.

Starting over...

If I integrate RyanVM's packs by hand (with __integrate.exe and the file editing), my USB devices install totally unattended.

Good! Moving on..

If I use nLite at all, the wizard pops up.

Starting over...

I then re-integrated RyanVM by hand and slipstreamed BTS DriverPacks via Method 2. Wizard pops up.

At this very moment, I've re-slipstreamed BTS DPs via Method 1, and am installing Windows with that. It does appear that BOTH nLite and BTS DPs will cause this problem, though, which sucks, because I really wanted to use BTS DPs.

Orsi

Orsi

Hasta la Windows Vista, baby

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03
in my unattended setup the wizard also pops up during the RunOnceEX part...
does anybody has a solution for this?

Mavericc

Mavericc
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 20-July 05
I just recently discovered this board and got very interested in building an unattended XP installation media for myself...

Anyawy, this same annoying "feature" has now appeared in my setup as well. Right now I'm pretty clueless as to what exactly causes it and I haven't had too much time to troubleshoot it yet. I'm using the nLite 1.0 b5 to import RyanVM's 1.2.2 Full hotfix pack and 10-15 other hotfixes which are not included in the pack. Also to remove some stuff (not too much) from and tweak the setup. This worked fine at first, but evidently I did something somewhere to invoke this behaviour...

The Wizard first pops up to install some SoundBlaster-related drivers during when RunOnceEx is installing software. I might even be able to live with that since it doesn't really interfere and can be ignored, but where it gets particularly annoying is when it pops up for anything that wasn't plugged in during the installation -- even hard drives. First it asks to install drivers for the newly attached HD itself and then once for every partition that is found from the drive. This is clearly not acceptable.

I don't want to disable the wizard since that would probably just leave all new-found hardware driverless, just find how to restore its original behaviour. Gotta continue the tests when I get off work later...

Mavericc

Mavericc
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 20-July 05
Ok, after numerous tests I finally managed yesterday to install the nLightened (1.0b5) XP without the annoying wizard ever popping up...

What I did earlier with nLite was:

1. first import the RyanVM's hotfix pack without doing anything else at that time and close nLite.
2. then start nLite again and imported all other hotfixes -> close nLite
3. started nLite 3rd time, do remove/tweak/patch/unattended, and close nLite
4. added SI3112A RAID controller drivers manually and tweaked $OEM$ directories
5. started nLite and made an ISO
6. burn and install -> Wizard pops up

Yesterday I did 1-3. in one sitting, although only imported the RyanVM's pack and not the other hotfixes and closed nLite. Then again added SATA drivers and $OEM$ dirs and made the ISO with nLite. This time there was no Wizard. Now I just need to try to import the rest of the hotfixes and see what happens...

GEnto

GEnto

• 33 posts
  • Joined 16-May 04
Hi everybody, one question about Hardware Wizard, i have used the tweak.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]
"DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001
"DontPromptForWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001
"DontSearchCD"=dword:00000001
"DontSearchFloppies"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing]

but the wizard shows me more than one inf file to use to install hardware. Maybe this the reason why the wizard ask me to select one inf file, because it has more than one file to select ????

tridgely

tridgely

• 28 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05
Here's how I got this to work:

Manually integrate RyanVM
Don't use nLite at all (I couldn't get it to work, anyway, and it was quicker to do the things I needed manually than to mess around with it)
Use BTS DPs with Method 1 (Method 2 was causing the Wizard to appear, Method 1 does not appear to)
Change production folders how I want, add modified system files, etc.

GEnto

GEnto

• 33 posts
  • Joined 16-May 04
thanks.

Please I use xpcreate. Would you mind to explain me easily what I have to do. My native spanish. thanks again

tridgely

tridgely

• 28 posts
  • Joined 01-May 05
Couldn't honestly say. I've never seen/used XPCREATE -- still on the waiting list.

I just use RyanVM's latest pack and then manually integrate the remaining updates.

Mavericc

Mavericc
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 20-July 05
I like to use nLite to remove and tweak some stuff. Just doing everything in one go (except the ISO creation, it-of course-has no affect) seemed to resolve my Wizard problem.

greghouck

greghouck
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 15-September 05

I've been searching everywhere and haven't been able to find an answer.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GO INTO DEVICE MANAGER

GO TO VIEW

SELECT SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES

CLICK THE PLUS SIGN NEXT TO PRINTERS....

IS THEIR AN EXCLAMATION POINT ? if so select properties check and see what it says
TRY SELECTING DISABLE from the properties of it OR SELECT UNINSTALL SEE IF THE PRINTER STILL WORKS... :thumbup

greghouck

greghouck
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 15-September 05

I like to use nLite to remove and tweak some stuff. Just doing everything in one go (except the ISO creation, it-of course-has no affect) seemed to resolve my Wizard problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Control chaos?? :huh:

cyberloner

cyberloner

CyberMania.ws

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Joined 19-July 05
use nforce slipstreaming driver inside my unattended dvd...
after installation and 1st time get in windows....
the popup will said found cd-rom drive... need click finish....
restart and second popup... found disk drive.... need click finish....

dunno how to get rid of it...

Problem fix... who carez =)

Edited by cyberloner, 08 November 2005 - 01:07 PM.

CyberMania
AMD FX 8350 Vishera | Scythe Ninja 2 | ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 | Micron VALUE DDR3 2X 4GB 1333MHZ (OC 1866MHZ) | SAPPHIRE HD7770 | 27" Samsung P2770H | 2X WD 2TB Black | CM iGreen Power 600W | Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 | X-FI Titanium | CM ELITE 430

Bilou_Gateux

Bilou_Gateux

Powered by Windows Embedded

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04

Well, here's what's happening.

I am getting the Found New Hardware Wizard whenever I plug anything in that wasn't plugged in during the Setup. This is bad, because I'm switching keyboards and mice around and then I can't click Next!

If I could turn it OFF and have Windows just search, it would find what it wants. If I click Next on the wizard, then it finds what it wants and installs it automatically (without warning about the driver signing, because the drivers are signed).

UPnPDev.cmd
@echo off
SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
SET KEY1="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Pre-Installation" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers" /f"
REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "RunDll32.exe Syssetup.dll,UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers" /f

It's how i install external modem that wasn't plugged in during the Setup.
Drivers (not digitally signed) are installed first with Unlimited number of drivers schalti method & Pyron tool (post #4).
UPnpDev.cmd is run to update registry
Restart or shutdown box
Plug external modem and power up
let PnP detection install my device ('Found New Hardware Wizard' windows popup but automatically disappears when detection is done by RunOnceEx instruction).
OS Version = 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Platform ID = 2 (NT)
Service Pack = 3.0
Suite = 0x0140
Product Type = 1
Architecture = x86

inciardi

inciardi
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-November 03
I looked for answers on how to suppress the Found New Hardware Wizard dialog, but found little that worked. So I wrote a little VBS script that uses the taskkill command to kill windows where windowtitle eq Found New Hardware Wizard. I found this approach to be preferable to all the others tried to this point.

So I wanted to post it for what its worth. If you have a new hardware wizard giving you grief and new to kill it, this may be what you seek.

The script is written to take two inputs, one mandatory and one optional. The mandatory input is for a timeout value (e.g., /TimeOut:20). In other words, the amount of time, in seconds, the thing will run. The second input, the /Name:[yourtexthere], is optional and can be used to help you track when you dispatched this script. This info is written into the WizKilla.vbs log file. For example, lets say when installing the WLAN driver the Found New Hardware Wizard is giving you grief. Simply dispatch the WizKilla.vbs immediately before launching your unattended driver install. Use the following syntax:

cscript.exe //nologo wizkilla.vbs /Timeout:20 /Name:WLAN

---- Begin WizKilla.vbs -----
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
' This script Loops a set number of times based on user supplied input value
' Where each loop is eqaul to 1 second in duration.
' During each loop a taskkill command is executed to kill the window(s)
' titled 'Found New Hardware Wizard'
'
' Date: 08.21.06
' Author: Bruce Inciardi
' Revision: original
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
strComputer = "."

Const ForAppending = 8
Set oArgs = wscript.Arguments

Set colNamedArguments = WScript.Arguments.Named
strName = colNamedArguments.Item("Name")
strTimeout = colNamedArguments.Item("Timeout")

Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
compname = WshNetwork.ComputerName

set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
strLogFile = "\LOGS\" & Split(WScript.ScriptName, ".")(0) & ".log"
pathtologfile = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings _
("%SystemRoot%" & strlogfile)
If FSO.FileExists(PathToLogFile) Then
'' Wscript.Echo "File exist."
Set objLogFile = FSO.OpenTextFile(pathtologfile, ForAppending)
Else
'' Wscript.Echo "File does not exist."
Set objLogFile = FSO.CreateTextFile(pathtologfile, TRUE)
End If

objLogFile.WriteLine(Now & ": " & WScript.ScriptFullName & " Started." & vbCrLf)
objLogFile.WriteLine("Current Computer Name: " & compname)
objLogFile.WriteLine("Log File/Path: " & pathtologfile)
objLogFile.WriteLine("Script loops 'x' times based on user provided input and kills 'New Hardware Found Wizard' dialogs." & vbCrLf)

If Not colNamedArguments.Exists("TimeOut") Then
objLogFile.WriteLine("Input in error")
objLogFile.WriteLine("Correct Usage:")
objLogFile.WriteLine("cscript WizKilla.vbs /TimeOut:10 /Name:" & Chr(34) & "Intel WLAN" & Chr(34))
Wscript.quit(0)
End If

iTimeout = strTimeout
iTimeout=CInt(strTimeout)

objLogFile.WriteLine("Launched with parms: /Timeout:" & strTimeout & " /Name:" & strName & vbCrLf)

Wscript.Echo "Shhhh, be vewy qwiet..."
Wscript.Echo "...I'm hunting Found New Hardware Wizard Dialogs."

iLoop = 0
Do Until iLoop > iTimeout
iLoop=iLoop+1
WScript.Sleep 1000
If iLoop > iTimeout Then
Exit Do
Else
' "Perform taskkill cmd here"
killacmd = "taskkill /FI " & Chr(34) & "WINDOWTITLE eq Found New Hardware Wizard" & Chr(34)
Set oExecObject = WshShell.Exec("%comspec% /c " & killacmd)
Do Until oExecObject.StdOut.AtEndOfStream
strLine = oExecObject.StdOut.ReadLine()
if (Instr(strLine,"INFO:")<>0) Or (Instr(strLine,"SUCCESS:")<>0) Then
If Instr(strLine,"SUCCESS:")<>0 Then Wscript.Echo "Got One!"
objLogFile.WriteLine(Now & ": (" & iLoop & ") " & strLine)
End If
Loop
End If
Loop

objLogFile.WriteLine("Script Completed; Timeoutvalue reached" & vbCrLf)

objLogFile.WriteLine(Now & ":" & vbTab & WScript.ScriptFullName & " Ended." & vbCrLf)

---- End WizKilla.vbs -----

Hope this helps someone.

Bruce

rebsbox

rebsbox
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 19-May 05
Just come across this, it turns out that it thinks usbstor.sys is unsigned -the one I had mismatched the one listed in usbstor.inf - just copied them from a good setup dir

alastor

alastor
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 03-March 09
I have a problem with the New Hardware Wizard, and read through this, but was not able to find the file in regedit that I need to get to.

When I get into [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows there is no folder for "DriverSearching" at all. The only Folders I see are:

Installer
IPSec
Safer
System
WiredL2

Similarly, when I go into [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT the only folder I see is
"Terminal Services"

There is no "DriverSigning" present

The problem I am getting is that everytime I boot my computer the Found New Hardware Wizard comes up, and when I try to run it, it just gets stuck. I end up cancelling it, but would prefer that I not need to do this anymore.

Could anyone tell me if these missing folders have something to do with the Wizard malfunctioning?

Thanks!

Bilou_Gateux

Bilou_Gateux