Win2k Post SP4 Rollup

fdv

Thanks. I even googled it today and didn't run into it.

MS has just offered a number of security patches a couple of weeks prior to the downloadable Rollup release. Does anyone know if any of them (made available in mid-June) are post-rollup updates?

MS was "ready to ship" the rollup in early June. A few of the KB June releases may be post-rollup updates?

MS has just offered a number of security patches a couple of weeks prior to the downloadable Rollup release. Does anyone know if any of them (made available in mid-June) are post-rollup updates?

Nope! It covers until May. When installed, it still says that there are a dozen updates available. It's like some kind of really, really bad joke.

Nope! It covers until May. When installed, it still says that there are a dozen updates available. It's like some kind of really, really bad joke.

Thanks again. It really is kind of a joke. Glad I saved the May - updates (downloaded executables) for possible slipstreaming.

If I understand it correctly, you'll have to pay for support from now until 2010? But no one really needs "free" support. If the goal was to wean folks off of Win2K, I can live with what MS is doing. Especially if they're going to continue to offer patches for some rather long duration. My understanding is that (most, if not all) of what will be offered will be security patches, but not bug patches. Oh, well. SP4 has been rock-solid.

At home, I have a Dell that came with XPHE. At work, I use Win2K – and I don’t have any plans to “upgrade” any time soon. Win2K will be around for a while.

I also noticed that MS actually labeled it “Rollup 1” – more could be coming. MS has a real dilemma. They're going to have to support it for a while. I can live with that too.

Edited by PVU

I tried slipstreaming KB891861 into my SP4 install with /integrate and get the following failure in the initial file copy

Setup was unable to copy the following file:

WINSRV.DLL

Anyone know what's needed to fix this?

Kenny

Could you please specify the command to slipstream it into the source?

Windows2000-KB891861-x86-ENU.EXE /integrate:D:\Temp\2000

replace D:\Temp\2000 with where your W2KSP4 files live

If you are going to burn this to an ISO9660 CD you then need to fix the name of the update file and the svcpack.inf as by default it integrates with a long filename

e.g.

I renamed

D:\Temp\2000\I386\Update Rollup 1.exe

to

D:\Temp\2000\I386\KB891861.exe

and modified D:\Temp\2000\I386\svcpack.inf to reflect this change

[setupHotfixesToRun]

;Update Rollup 1.exe /q /n /z

KB891861.exe /q /n /z

Edited by kennys

If I skip the files which it complains about then the install proceeds ok. I'm not sure what I'm ending up with is properly patched though as the Windows Update site still offers the rollup to the client machine. WSUS also wants to reinstall some of the patches whil MBSA seems to think the machine is OK.

I'm going back to individual patch integration as this rollup looks a mess.

My guess is it's not modifying dosnet.inf properly when it's been integrated.