Ndis vxd from ME to 98 SE

Thanks for your feedback.

I know only few 98SE computers that can use ndis.vxd from WinME.

Unfortunately majority can't. :(

well if a vast majority of 98se machines can't handle WinME's ndis.vxd file because of the problems it can cause, then dont use it. W98se users are better off using the ndis.vxd file from the Q270063 patch and should avoid using the ndis.vxd file from ME.

• 6 months later...
I think what Mrcldb was trying to tell me, was for me to remove ndis.vxd from the never-use-these-files-from-ME-with-98SE list:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#NEVER

and eventually include it in 98SE2ME, because it worked on his PC.

Hope this helps.

If its not to late, I am using in three differents computers ndis.vxd version 4903000.in windows 98SE/ME. Maybe because I take out ndis2sup from my system (very similar and for the same reasons as the removing of vnetbios and vnetsup from regedit Mdgx teach me in his tricks.) I use modem dial up and it works fine. I also remove ndiswan. IN three diferents computers, two clones and a compaq presario (notebook) three differents modem (hsp micro modem, lucent oops i mean compaq and us robotics) and the three of them run at the top; take a try;

with :

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\ServiceProvider]

"LocalPriority"=hex:01,00,00,00

"HostsPriority"=hex:02,00,00,00

"Class"=hex:08,00,00,00

"ProviderPath"="%windir%\\system\\wsock32.dll"

deleting the others priorities

and of course all axcel tricks to go full speeed ahead !!!P.S. I removed Wan.tsp also.

Edited by Mrcldb

If its not to late, I am using in three differents computers ndis.vxd version 4903000.in windows 98SE/ME. Maybe because I take out ndis2sup from my system (very similar and for the same reasons as the removing of vnetbios and vnetsup from regedit Mdgx teach me in his tricks.) I use modem dial up and it works fine. I also remove ndiswan. IN three diferents computers, two clones and a compaq presario (notebook) three differents modem (hsp micro modem, lucent oops i mean compaq and us robotics) and the three of them run at the top; take a try;

with :

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\ServiceProvider]

"LocalPriority"=hex:01,00,00,00

"HostsPriority"=hex:02,00,00,00

"Class"=hex:08,00,00,00

"ProviderPath"="%windir%\\system\\wsock32.dll"

deleting the others priorities

and of course all axcel tricks to go full speeed ahead !!!P.S. I removed Wan.tsp also.

It does work with dial-up modems and [probably with] some ISDN modems, but unfortunately this doesn't work with DSL [RASPPPoE, WAN] or cable [LAN DHCP] modems. :(

I don't have a dial-up connection anymore, so I can't test this, but it doesn't work with my cable modem.

BTW:

Make sure %windir% variable in your REG file above actually reads C:\\WINDOWS or whatever else to make sure to match your Windows OS drive letter + folder name.

Please note that the %windir% variable does NOT work from within REG files in Win9x/ME OSes.

The full path must be specified for correct operation of REG files.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

nice that MDGx has a broadband cable modem connection to the net. someday when my brother and I move to another city, we'll be dumping dial-up and getting DSL for good. satellite net connection users might also want to stick with using the 98se version of ndis.vxd instead of using the ME version.

• 1 year later...

Now in wireless lan working pretty fine with ndis.vxd 4.90.3000, ... are you sure it dont work ? maybe works for me because I remove ndis2sup.vxd? now in a toshiba satellite 2805, before -dial up- in a compaq presario, in a sis and in a via motherboard...always fine...

• 1 year later...

I tried 4.90.3000 to solve a problem installing a WLAN card into a 98SE laptop. It fixed the install problem, but now I cannot ping the router. I'm gettting no error messages, and all indications are card is working properly, TCP/IP settings are correct, and wireless communication with Linksys router is happening with strong signal.

Could ndis.vxd 4.90.3000 in a 98SE box cause a problem so sneaky?

Or would it cause a more obvious and dramatic problem? From reading this thread, when people say "ME version doesn't work in 98SE setup", what is the nature of the problems encountered?

Also, is there a version of NDIS.VXD between 4.10.2225(98SE) and 4.90.3000(ME) ?