Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unattended and Updated Boot CD for Windows 98

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,365 posts
  • Joined 22-November 04
Soporific:
Excellent work. Keep it up. B)

Most important ["interesting"] SYSTEM.INI settings with explanations:
http://www.mdgx.com/...week.htm#SYSINI
That's where lines above were [probably] taken from anyway. ;)

Text=xxx does not exist, [probably] copied + pasted from a misspelled web page/text file.
VGAMonoText=OFF / ON proper spelling is without any spaces.

MSBATCH.INF, HHW SDK, IE6 SP1 IEAK, IDK, OPK + related tools + help files links [including Soporific's thread]:
http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#DEV

Some VB scripts [*.VBS files or VBScript scripts imbedded into HTML files] can be run from a DOS box by using CSCRIPT.EXE [therefore before loading entire GUI, but after loading minimal Win32 APIs; in some cases VBS can be run from native MS-DOS mode (outside Windows) if loading DOSLFN ( http://www.geocities.../jadoxa/doslfn/ ) as a TSR (eventually from autoexec.bat or config.sys) before running such scripts], the DOS console counterpart of Windows based WSCRIPT.EXE. WMI is not necessarily needed for some VBS scripts, especially the ones that can be run by CSCRIPT.EXE.
CSCRIPT.EXE is installed by default into %windir%\COMMAND [please note that certain 98lite options delete completely %windir%\COMMAND + all files in it].
Newest version of MS Scripting APIs:
http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#MSE

To learn about VBScript, best place to start is MSDN:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/
Best tool that uses VBS for its plugins [XPL (plain text) files can be opened in Notepad for viewing] is X-Setup Pro [7.1 is shareware but older 6.6 is freeware]:
http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#SYS

Some of these DOS based memory tools may be used in batch files to tell installed memory amount [all free(ware)], without using VBS:
http://www.mdgx.com/dos.htm
http://www.mdgx.com/umb.htm

Alternatives to HexWorkShop [mostly free(ware)]:
http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#HEX

Try not to use c:\windows as hard-coded string in your batch/inf/etc files, because may not work on computers where user has installed it in a different folder, or even different drive/partition.
Best to use %winbootdir% variable instead, which works in both Windows GUI + native MS-DOS 7/8 [a.k.a. Win95/98/ME OS] mode.

Soporific:
If u like, I can host your files at my site, please let me know if u are interested.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx, 02 August 2005 - 03:40 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

wizardofwindows

wizardofwindows

Wizard of Windows

• PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Joined 17-June 05
:thumbup i use the info in your code zip and finally made a unattented full cd i left out the extra appz at this time but thank you muchly sophoric excellent stuff u rock.

Edited by timeless, 28 July 2005 - 08:15 PM.

jimmsta

jimmsta

computer janitor

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 04-May 05
I'm going to try and create one of these, just for nostalgic value (same reason why I browse this forum). Thanks for Version 2.0, as it seems to be a LOT easier (Pictures are very helpful!)

Edit: I've got everything I wanted in the CD, and I'm currently burning an image to test in VMWare... I hope it works... if not, no worries... all the instructions aren't here yet, so I'm just winging a LOT of it. ;)

Edited by jimmsta, 01 August 2005 - 07:59 PM.

Creator and Maintainer of BootZilla.org

jimmsta

jimmsta

computer janitor

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 04-May 05
Really strange problem - for some reason or another, the setup wouldn't take my 100% Legit key. I'm guessing some modification may have caused the install to think that it's an OEM copy of 98SE, and not a Retail copy. I pulled an OEM key off one of my old computer manuals, which worked. The key I originally tried to use is from a Retail copy of Win98SE Full - "for PCs without Windows".

Any ideas?
Creator and Maintainer of BootZilla.org

soporific

soporific

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05
Hey everyone, thanks to all for keeping this thread growing ... especially you, MDGx. I'll be posting the full, final version of this project (version 2.1) in a few days but there aren't any major changes just a mega clean up of the code.

Really strange problem - for some reason or another, the setup wouldn't take my 100% Legit key. I'm guessing some modification may have caused the install to think that it's an OEM copy of 98SE, and not a Retail copy. I pulled an OEM key off one of my old computer manuals, which worked. The key I originally tried to use is from a Retail copy of Win98SE Full - "for PCs without Windows".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My version IS an OEM version so that's probably significant in this case. One way around it, definitely, it to do a clean install with the retail version, and then use the batch98 utility to make a msbatch.inf file, and use THAT msbatch.inf as your base and add the extra sections to it then to make it unattended and updated.

I think I know what the problem is, though. As my intro to version 1 was saying about being able to skip the EULA stage even though its an OEM version, this hack IS FOR an oem version, so maybe its not going to work for the retail version. Maybe try this: take out the OPKInstall section from my msbatch.inf, and just click thru the EULA step and see if that at least works because it should and we would then have narrowed down the problem

I really didn't say so in my previous posts, but 99% of my initial work in this project was just surfing around for a few days, bringing all my google skills into practice searching for the answers to particular problems. What I'm saying is that I remember in my travels coming across a post (on msfn I think) that talked about this issue and is where I got my info from about the Retail vs the OEM. I'll have another look for it, but you might want to do the same. I'll post the info if I find it.

Edited by soporific, 02 August 2005 - 03:31 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,490 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Here is a thread where I posted reference to some "Unattended 98" reference I could find on MSFN and elsewhere:
http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=40303

jaclaz

soporific

soporific

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05
Thanks jaclaz, you've pointed to one of the posts I remember reading - jimmsta, try adding this to the OPKInstall section:

[OPKInstall]
; The following line changes the product type after the first part of
; setup is complete to activate OEM install features.
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,"ProductType",,"115"

Edited by soporific, 02 August 2005 - 05:49 AM.

iWindoze

iWindoze

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 07-June 05

Hey everyone, thanks to all for keeping this thread growing ... especially you, MDGx. I'll be posting the full, final version of this project (version 2.1) in a few days but there aren't any major changes just a mega clean up of the code.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your cdshell.ini has some corruption in the code..
recheck the n/n stuff...I had to go line by line
before I figured that one out! ;P

Otherwise it's still a learning experience for me
cuz I've been unable to get somethings but able
to get others...for example eMule refuses to do
installs silently and w/o input, same goes for DX9c
using the 8.1 setup.exe...or is that no longer required?

Thanks again for sharing as much as you have; I'll
be looking forward to version2.0 whenever you get
back to it.

--iWindoze

soporific

soporific

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05

Your cdshell.ini has some corruption in the code..
recheck the n/n stuff...I had to go line by line
before I figured that one out! ;P

for example eMule refuses to do
installs silently and w/o input, same goes for DX9c
using the 8.1 setup.exe...or is that no longer required?

--iWindoze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cdshell.ini: I was wondering about all the weird code - I only adjusted an example that was either already provided or one I got from the net. I'd suggest starting from scratch.

EMULE: I don't know of a silent switch for emule, but I didn't use one. Don't use the installer version of emule, get the zipped archive and make a RAR self-extracting file. You can setup the SFX options to automatically copy the files to the directory of your choice, add an icon to the desktop, shortcut to the Start menu, whatever - there are lots of options. I recommend combining the official release with the MorphXT 7.1 mod.

DX9.0c: no, DX9 still needs the dxsetup.exe from the redistributable 8.1 version
If you do the following exactly, it should work:

1) grab the full version of DX9.0c (33.5MB) and extract it to its own directory
3) overwrite the dxsetup.exe (462 Kb) with the one from v8.1 (46.5 Kb)
4) use this command switch for your code to install it silent and unattendedly: dxsetup.exe /opk (EDIT: or the switch is /silent I can't remember what I put in my SFX file !!! - I'm going to check which one it is but until then here's both switches - sorry!)
5) ideally, to save space you would use WinRAR to make an SFX file that extracts to a temporary directory, then runs dxsetup with the /opk switch.

I guess without the switch you would have been stuck.

Version 2.1 coming soon --- got other projects that need immediate attention ... but won't be long now.

Edited by soporific, 03 August 2005 - 07:51 AM.

iWindoze

iWindoze

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 07-June 05

cdshell.ini: I was wondering about all the weird code - I only adjusted an example that was either already provided or one I got from the net. I'd suggest starting from scratch.

EMULE: I don't know of a silent switch for emule, but I didn't use one. Don't use the installer version of emule, get the zipped archive and make a RAR self-extracting file. You can setup the SFX options to automatically copy the files to the directory of your choice, add an icon to the desktop, shortcut to the Start menu, whatever - there are lots of options. I recommend combining the official release with the MorphXT 7.1 mod.

DX9.0c: no, DX9 still needs the dxsetup.exe from the redistributable 8.1 version
If you do the following exactly, it should work:

1) grab the full version of DX9.0c (33.5MB) and extract it to its own directory
3) overwrite the dxsetup.exe (462 Kb) with the one from v8.1 (46.5 Kb)
4) use this command switch for your code to install it silent and unattendedly: dxsetup.exe /opk  (EDIT: or the switch is /silent  I can't remember what I put in my SFX file !!! - I'm going to check which one it is but until then here's both switches - sorry!)
5) ideally, to save space you would use WinRAR to make an SFX file that extracts to a temporary directory, then runs dxsetup with the /opk switch.

I guess without the switch you would have been stuck.

Version 2.1 coming soon --- got other projects that need immediate attention ... but won't be long now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info on DX9, I'll give my process another look
and see if somehow I knocked off those extensions by mistake.

As for the cdshell.ini the trouble appears here:

print c "\n& #092;c

I think that the text editor you used was using its own fonts
and the thing didn't translate too well...

I hope this helps. I'll try and copy my cdshell.ini tothe laptop
next time I get home and see if I can post my 'corrected' version.

Take your time on it; the rush has faded and while I still want
to learn, I'll just have to take things step by step--impressing
my fellow geeks at my home town will have to wait for the next
visit.

--iWindoze

Cornfused

Cornfused
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05
I like this thread and I have a question. I have a friend that regularly fubars his 98se box and, of course, I have to fix it. So, is there a way to slip in all the drivers needed for a custom setup of win98SE (mb, vid, lan, ect)? If it's in this thread I missed it sorry.

Cornfused

Edited by Cornfused, 05 August 2005 - 09:17 PM.

soporific

soporific

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05

I like this thread and I have a question. I have a friend that regularly fubars his 98se box and, of course, I have to fix it. So, is there a way to slip in all the drivers needed for a custom setup of win98SE (mb, vid, lan, ect)? If it's in this thread I missed it sorry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, it hasn't come up yet so you can safely take off your flame-proof clothing :)

There's two ways as I understand it:

1) using the batch98 utiility to take a snapshot of the system the operating system is intended for. This will create the msbatch.inf file, but there's still the question of including the driver files and how this is accomplished. I would imagine you would use the infinst.exe (inf installer) utility on your driver files, but i'm not sure as i've never done it. maybe someone who has can say something.

- infinst.exe and the batch98 utility are both contained in the Win98 resource kit (v. easy to find)

2) manually adding a link in your msbatch.inf to a folder that contains all the extra driver files. I think. I have only vague memories of this method from my research into this project so if anyone can help, you know what to do.

Cornfused

Cornfused
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05
I'll check that out, Thanks.
I tried to add files to the cabs but that turned into an abortion.

Cornfused

Edited by Cornfused, 08 August 2005 - 07:57 PM.

albator

albator

Nlite Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
How can I add the MSBATCH.INF to my cd. ? I had check the site you were talking about. It about multiboot dvd. I just want to add MSBATCH.INF to my 98SE cd and be sure that this cd is stills bootable.

NTlite supporter

soporific

soporific

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05

How can I add the MSBATCH.INF to my cd. ? I had check the site you were talking about. It about multiboot dvd. I just want to add MSBATCH.INF to my 98SE cd and be sure that this cd is stills bootable.

Wow, I didn't think this thread would get anymore posts considering the project evolved - to answer your question, all you have to do is make sure msbatch.inf is in the installation directory when you run setup.exe ie if you have all your installation files in c:\win98 ready to install as normal into c:\windows then make sure msbatch.inf is in c:\Win98

- you may have to use the following command line:

c:\win98\setup.exe c:\win98\msbatch.inf

but you shouldn't have to, as setup should find the inf file.

Edited by soporific, 10 November 2005 - 07:39 PM.

singary

singary
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 16-April 06
First of all i want to thank all those ppl who invented and shared in producing this cooool project
second there is a big problem i have and i wish to have it fixed with ur help
the problem is that i've done all the procedures that lead to the project and finaly i have it done and completed but when i tried it i have this massage on Dump screen " cannot read or write to Partition C: press any key to continue " and when i press any key i have this message " cannot load or read KRNL386.exe"
if there is any helpi would realy appreciate it
by the way i've used the boot version to boot the project separatly and they worked fine with me and i didnot recieve the error but when i grouped the boot versions in the whole boot version "CDShell " i got error message
any way thanks for the great efforts

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05

i have this massage on Dump screen " cannot read or write to Partition C: press any key to continue " and when i press any key i have this message " cannot load or read KRNL386.exe"

I get this exact problem when running win98 from my multiboot disc. Has any one got any ideas? Could it be a CDImage setting?

I very rarly use Win98 anymore so be gentle if this is a stupid question!

Cheers.

soporific

soporific

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05

i have this massage on Dump screen " cannot read or write to Partition C: press any key to continue " and when i press any key i have this message " cannot load or read KRNL386.exe"

I get this exact problem when running win98 from my multiboot disc. Has any one got any ideas? Could it be a CDImage setting?

I very rarly use Win98 anymore so be gentle if this is a stupid question!

Cheers.

Um... this is a very old version of this project ... it evolved into this:

http://www.msfn.org/...showtopic=53392

I simply can't help you with any problems you're encountering because there were lots !!! Which is why this project evolved ...

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05
Sorry buddy, my problem is more general.

I started looking of an answer to a problem I have with adding 98SE to my multi-boot.

This was the only topic I found that related to my problem.

So, any ideas why a vanilla, OEM version of SE would cause this problem when executed from CDShell?

Any help would be appriciated.

Keep up the good work.

soporific

soporific

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05
OK fair enough I see that your problem is more generic than just this project ... i will try to help!

OK, first the easy solution: a lot of people forget that you have to FORMAT your hard drive before you can properly use a Win98 boot CD. This isn't a problem with a WinXP one but it will give you the error that you can't write to the partition. I know that some people forget and then wonder why things don't work. But maybe you know this and the problem is something else.

If the above isn't the problem, please reply to the following questions:

1) Can you get to a DOS prompt at any stage during operation but before the problem occurs?
2) If you can, what has been assigned to the C drive? Is it blank (ie recently formatted), or does it report the CD drive contents. What is assigned to the A drive? (the boot files inside your Win98 boot image should be all there when you type DIR at the A:\ prompt.) Can you type DIR and report what it says?

Next, make sure you are using a proper Win98 boot image -- I remember that I had trouble with the one I made from my Retail edition CD and had to download someone elses from the net. Make sure that your Win98 setup can be installed separate from the multi-boot CD, even if you can't test unattendedly. If this is the problem, I have a boot image that will work with CD shell ...

Next, if you have two CD drives connected, disconnect one of them and see if you get the same error.

Next, confirm your setup files aren't corrupted. I don't think this is the problem, but if it none of the above, i'm starting to run out of ideas so you may as well check.

See how you go with all that.

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05
Thanks for your reply,

I've covered most of the things you've suggested last night including checking my source disk (with a standard install), boot sector and recopying the win98 dir to HDD. Still no go.

Something I have found is that even though windows bugs out (which is after second restart by-the-way) I can restart and get in to safe mode, odd!

I'm gonna try afew more things and get back to you.

Edit:

Sorry soporific, I've wasted your time.

This is a VMware issue, I've just tested in VirtualPC and all works fine. People can say what they like about M$ but atleast it bloody works. More over is flippin free :realmad: .

Anyway, I'm a prat! Looking back I didn't state that I was testing in VMware. I'll think before I post next time :blushing: .

Thanks for your help anyway.

I'm gonna start on integrating your Seven Years Later project into my multi-boot disc now, so you'll probably hear from me again. Hopefully with better questions next time.

Edited by kof94, 11 September 2006 - 02:01 PM.

some1

some1

Blah Face

• Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Joined 24-September 06
Hey how would I go about modding this to be on a multiboot CD/DVD?
It doesn't matter if its unattended or attended

Saying thanks now!

naikosen

naikosen

• 18 posts
  • Joined 21-September 06

OK fair enough I see that your problem is more generic than just this project ... i will try to help!

OK, first the easy solution: a lot of people forget that you have to FORMAT your hard drive before you can properly use a Win98 boot CD. This isn't a problem with a WinXP one but it will give you the error that you can't write to the partition. I know that some people forget and then wonder why things don't work. But maybe you know this and the problem is something else.

If the above isn't the problem, please reply to the following questions:

1) Can you get to a DOS prompt at any stage during operation but before the problem occurs?
2) If you can, what has been assigned to the C drive? Is it blank (ie recently formatted), or does it report the CD drive contents. What is assigned to the A drive? (the boot files inside your Win98 boot image should be all there when you type DIR at the A:\ prompt.) Can you type DIR and report what it says?

Next, make sure you are using a proper Win98 boot image -- I remember that I had trouble with the one I made from my Retail edition CD and had to download someone elses from the net. Make sure that your Win98 setup can be installed separate from the multi-boot CD, even if you can't test unattendedly. If this is the problem, I have a boot image that will work with CD shell ...

Next, if you have two CD drives connected, disconnect one of them and see if you get the same error.

Next, confirm your setup files aren't corrupted. I don't think this is the problem, but if it none of the above, i'm starting to run out of ideas so you may as well check.

See how you go with all that.

All what I did is:
I copied the '@msbatch.inf' to the Win98 folder then tried to install Windows 98se in Virual Machine (VMware Workstation) using the command line in the autoexec.bat: path=a:\;%CDROM%\
%CDROM%
cd \WIN98
setup.exe @msbatch.inf

It started copying all neccessary files to the disk. Hereafter, it restarted the computer automatically.
Now it displays the following on Dump screen:
" Cannot read or write to Partition C: press any key to continue "
When I press any key I have this message:
" Cannot load or read KRNL386.exe"

One more question:
How to bypass the scandisk process during installation?