x64 Drivers From CD

Viking

OK, here's my walkthrough for adding your own driver packs to 64 bit windows.

First, a couple of notes:

* This topic was originally started by devilrunner here.

* You can't just use Bashrat's packs. They won't work because they're for 32 bit windows, you will need to create your own.

* This does not include Mass Storage drivers. Check here for a solution. (Having said that, check the following post...)

* Can't get WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe working as yet. Using DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore in winnt.sif is working for me at this point.

* This is really just a hack until someone can compile a 64 bit version of Pyr0's EXEs. Original topic here.

Well, here goes... :)

1. Copy your original source files to a folder e.g. D:\XPINST

2. Expand setup.ex_ to setupORG.exe in the AMD64 folder. (note, if you are using 32 bit windows for this, be careful, as the expand.exe in the AMD64 folder will not work!)

3. Copy the following files to the AMD64 folder.

SETUP.EX_, overwriting the original. (Taken from Bashrats pack. Not sure if it's the same as Pyr0's or not...)

PRESETUP.CMD

4. Edit txtsetup.sif in the AMD64 folder as follows:

[SourceDisksFiles]
setup.exe = 1,,,,,,,82,0,0
setuporg.exe = 1,,,,,,,82,0,0
presetup.cmd = 1,,,,,,,82,0,0

5. Copy the following files to the OEM\bin folder:

7za.exe (from 7zip site)

SetDevicePath.exe (from Pyr0's original post)

CopyPath64.exe for details on this file, check original post here.

6. Lastly, create your own pack or packs, compress them with 7z and place them in the OEM folder, just like with Bashrats packs. Make sure any file start with "DriverPack_" just like with Bashrats.

CopyPath64.exe simply copies the 32 bit DevicePath registry entry to the 64 bit one. See above link for details.

PRESETUP.CMD contains the following:

SET DPDIRROOT=%SystemDrive%
SET DPDIR=%DPDIRROOT%\D
SET TAGFILE=\OEM
FOR %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" set CDDRIVE=%%i:
CD /D %DPDIRROOT%
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\7za.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DriverPack_*.7z -o"%DPDIRROOT%"
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe %DPDIR%
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\CopyPath64.exe
EXIT

which is more or less the same as Bashrats, except for the addition of CopyPath64.exe.

I've had this working for nVidia video drivers and for my network card at this point, because I've had nothing else to test with. I will also post how this method can be used for Storage Drivers shortly. (At least for the Via SATA drivers I have at any rate...)

Hope this is of interest and helps someone out there! :D

It is also possible to use the above to install Mass Storage drivers. Using the method detailed here with some of my own modifications. This description details how to get my own Via SATA drivers working, but I think should be applicable to most other drivers too.

1. Compress viamrx64.sys to viamrx64.sy_ and place in the AMD64 folder.

2. Modify txtsetup.sif in the AMD64 folder as follows:

[SourceDisksFiles]
viamrx64.sys = 1,,,,,,5_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249 = "viamrx64"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149 = "viamrx64"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164 = "viamrx64"

[SCSI.Load]
viamrx64 = viamrx64.sys,4

[SCSI]
viamrx64 = "VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller"

3. Run the following in a batch file to modify the setupreg.hiv file. Set ROOT to the root of your CD folder.

SET ROOT=D:\XPINST

REG LOAD HKLM\TempHive %ROOT%\AMD64\setupreg.hiv
REG ADD HKLM\TempHive\ControlSet001\Services\viamrx64\Parameters\PnPInterface /V 5 /T REG_DWORD /D 1 /F
REG UNLOAD HKLM\TempHive

4. Make the following additions to hivesys.inf in the AMD64 folder.

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\viamrx64\Parameters",,0x00000012
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\viamrx64\Parameters\PnpInterface","5",0x00010003,1

Make sure that these entries are placed under the line containing

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services",,0x00000012

or setup will fail because there is no CurrentControlSet\Services registry to add your settings to when the registry is first created!

5. Lastly, create a driver pack 7z file containing viamrx64.sys, viamrx64.inf and viamrx64.cat, and use the method in the above post.

This is VERY close to the method originally made by GreenMachine, and used by Bashrat in his packs.

Hopefully these two posts will get us well on the way to a new x64 driver pack set! :thumbup

for your presetup.cmd isnt it supposed to be $OEM$ instead of just OEM folder

also for creating my own driverpacks with 7zip do i just take the files from

for example: take files from the 001_Chipset folder & create a 7zip archive of them and name them driverpacks_*??? that way i would end up have like 7 or 8 driverpacks?

Edited by j4ever

@j4ever

No, presetup.cmd can be in the AMD64 folder because of the line

presetup.cmd = 1,,,,,,,82,0,0

in txtsetup.sif. This method does not require a $OEM$ folder at all.

Also, please do not confuse the OEM folder. You could just as easily change it to FRED, and change the paths in the presetup.cmd file.

@devilrunner

Here you go: setupORG.exe

The version of setup.ex_ is the one from Bashrat's packs. This version does all the renaming and running itself once presetup.cmd finishes. I don't know if this version is the same as Pyr0's or its one that Bashrat has compiled himself...

also for creating my own driverpacks with 7zip do i just take the files from

for example: take files from the 001_Chipset folder & create a 7zip archive of them and name them driverpacks_*??? that way i would end up have like 7 or 8 driverpacks?

Sorry j4ever, I missed this bit before. Yes, that's exactly it. If you're unsure about this, read through Pyr0's original thread linked at the top.