How To hide/remove "Settings" from Start Menu

smashly

Hi All ,

Just after a way to hide/remove "Settings" from Classic Start Menu as well dissable Right Click on Start Menu and Taskbar.

I've found most other tweaks/tricks I've needed in the Unnattended stickied tweaks sections of MSFN , but I've had no luck in finding the above 2 tweaks.

TYIA and Cheers

Have you tried the Group Policy editor? gpedit.msc?

Under "User Configuration"/"Start Menu and Taskbar" there are plenty of restrictions; Remove programs on the Settings menu (I don't think you can remove the Settings menu completely, but then I could be wrong!) etc.........

Hi once again and Thank You for the response FAT64 , yep had a poke at the Group Policies editor before posting this time ..lol

No success though.

I work in a small internet cafe , I'm try to limit what a user can change with the desktop/start menu/taskbars , but there's just some things I can't seem to stop without using 3rd party programs. Lack of knowledge on my part is what seems to hinder me locking them down with what comes in XP without the 3rd party programs or shells. It's no biggie but it would be nice to get it under control.

Cheers

Hmm, I just had a look at gpedit.msc and it seems to me like you can do a lot of what you want there...

I mean, I've found following options:

-> in Start Menu/Taskbar:

• "Remove programs in Settings menu"

• "Deny access to context menus of the task bar"

-> in Control Center:

• "Deny access to the Control Center" (don't know if you need this too)

(I hope I translated them understandable)

Aren't these options what you were looking for? btw I guess you need to restart Windows or at least explorer.exe to get an effect.

The control panel dissabled had that one nailed global. In other words no Control Panel anywhere in windows by any user .. I didn't use gpedit for that one , but thank you anyway -M-

• "Remove programs in Settings menu"

• "Deny access to context menus of the task bar"

Doesn't remove "Start->Settings->Taskbar and Start Menu" :(

But one I did miss was :blushing:

• "Prevent changes to Taskbar and Start Menu Settings" <---- That's the one I wanted ...all good.

Your translation was superb -M- :thumbup

Cheers and Thank You.

Edited by smashly

• 9 years later...

I am trying to figure out how to do this, to remove "settings" from the start menu.

The closest I found is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSetFolders"=dword:00000001
"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000001

The problem is that is makes "Taskbar and Start Menu" in control panel to disappear, and well as disables right mouse clicking on the taskbar.

So has anyone discover a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.