Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

what is the recommended RAM for XP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Nepali

Nepali

Pride of Nepal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
What is the recommended RAM for windows XP pro to run on its best
what is the Work of RAM n' Processor
the differences as well

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

soldier1st

soldier1st

I Work For The Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
the bare minimum you will want for xp is 512,any less and it won't run to it's fullest,more than 512 is good to have in xp and for the cpu get an amd as they cost far less than intel and do more per clock cycle but for the ram go for ddr if your mobo supports it as it runs alot faster than the older sdram does.
Here At Shinra HQ,Any and All Resistance Against The Shinra Will Be Dealt With Thus Utilizing Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

Gee

Gee

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
RAM is so cheap. The more the better. However, 256 is too little, if you want the bare minimum, 384 is good.

boooggy

boooggy

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
M$ recommands at least 128. 256-384 runs fine with not too many prgrams that use memory. if u want too run smooth with all your progies at least 512. better 1gb.....

^_^

^_^

• PipPip
  • 298 posts
I've had it run half decent on a 500MHz machine with 128 ram, but I'd rather see a minimum of 800MHz with 256 ram.
but hey, with computer prices being so cheap, why not build a 3GHz machine with 1GB or more ram?
Posted Image
javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

Kuru

Kuru
  • 2 posts
I recmoned 256 Ram with 800

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

OS modder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
More RAM is better but 128 is recommended minimum but this drpends on what you do with your machine. As far as best processor to use a whole discussion can be opened up. I like AMD myself while it uses more power and generates more heat it is generally a more rugged processor and lends itself to overclocking well.
Posted Image

dougiefresh

dougiefresh

Junior

• Pip
  • 94 posts
128mb is ok unless you run Norton Systemworks. Sysworks is a memory hog. 256mb is my recommended minimum. Of couse, anything greater is always better.

EDIT: 500Mhz machines suck, but will do if the need arises.

Edited by dougiefresh, 11 July 2005 - 03:11 AM.

bhurtel

bhurtel

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
will combination of 256+256+128 work perfectly or its exact capacity is just 512 MB
i have heard that all RAM DIMM should of the same size.
My board is intel d845WN
and have 256+256+128 but not sure are they working in their best or not.
©Phonixsoft 2006 , Nepal

Jito463

Jito463

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

I like AMD myself while it uses more power and generates more heat it is generally a more rugged processor and lends itself to overclocking well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, it's the P4's that are the hot beast atm. AMD64's run very cool comparitively. Admittedly AMD processors ran hotter at one time (anyone remember the 1.4GHz Thunderbird?), but that was then and this is now.
Help us help YOU! <-- Click here

msfn11

msfn11

• PipPip
  • 198 posts
for better result, i would say >645MB, 1GB is a good choice.

boooggy

boooggy

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
if u run nsw without nav it will work fine with 256.

dbramer1134

dbramer1134

Journeyman Computer Guru

• 16 posts
Definatly go with at least 512 MB.....MS says the miniumum is 128....ive run it on 64MB on my test machine for the hell of it and it still ran but slow as hell

Zxian

Zxian

Scroll up - see the Google bar?

• Super Moderator
  • 5,066 posts

Actually, it's the P4's that are the hot beast atm.  AMD64's run very cool comparitively.  Admittedly AMD processors ran hotter at one time (anyone remember the 1.4GHz Thunderbird?), but that was then and this is now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe... I've got a 1.33GHz T-bird in my desktop at home right now... with a massive 92mm fan for the CPU. It never goes above 46C... :P

But to get back on topic... I'd say that 256MB is the minimum for decent functionality. If you want a computer to run really smoothly, go for 512MB, and if you're going to do anything memory intensive, 1GB or more.

Gabe The Nerd

Gabe The Nerd

• 23 posts
If all you do is have one or two apps open to check your e-mail and stuff (This probably doesn't apply to you), then 256MB is plenty. For normal usage 512 is a good number (That's what I have). You really only need more than that if you do some insane multi-tasking or heavy video-editing. All of this assumes that you have DDR-400 or better.

^_^

^_^

• PipPip
  • 298 posts
this guy did ask what is the task of the processor and ram
super simply, the processor does the number crunching, and the ram is the worktable where that data is stored that's being worked on
and the hard drive is where all the files are permanently stored (or until some idi0t erases them :wacko: )

Edited by ^_^, 11 July 2005 - 05:47 PM.

Posted Image
javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

soldier1st

soldier1st

I Work For The Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
if you run a decent antivirus like trend micro or kaspersky or nod32 then 128 will suffice,not all ram has to be the same size to get the better performance but the ddr will work better than the older sdram.
the general rule for xp is:
it likes ram alot more than a powerful processor,same goes for 2000 but for 98 it can work very good on low memory compared to xp but a faster cpu is good too,the amd's palamino cpus ran hot but the thouroubred runs cooler,the athlon 64s run alot cooler then the older cpus do(i know cuzz i run a athlon 64 3000+)
64MB for light browsing and some light music
128MB for minor things like browsing and light office work and some music playing
256MB for light gaming and medium office work and music playing
384MB for medium gaming and moderate office work
512MB for medium to somewhat heavy gaming and moderate to somewhat heavy office work
1 Gig For Everything from heavy gaming to heavy office work and soforth.
thats just what i've noticed when i work on machines.
Here At Shinra HQ,Any and All Resistance Against The Shinra Will Be Dealt With Thus Utilizing Shinra's Elite Squad Known As Soldier

Nepali

Nepali

Pride of Nepal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
@soldier1st
you gotta good logic
am impressed
thanks all for the view

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN