Does your XP starts in secs. or min.?(help)

IceCold0

Hi everybody,

I have a 20gig hard drive that is partitioned into two parts: C and D. On "C" I had Windows 98se and on "D" I later manually installed XP. (My drive was partitioned by the place from which i got my PC). No problems whats so ever other than 98se loads in 40 secs. While it takes XP to load about 2 min and 50 sec.

I would be happy to hear any sugestions on how I can make XP load faster.

Thanks Alot in advance.

I have:

Asus Mother Bord

Athlon 650 t-bird

640MB of RAM by Crucial

IBM Hard Drive

Sound Blaster OEM

phone modem

ethernet card(for cable@home)

Asus AGP-V6600 Graphics Card

generic dvd

plextor 16/10/40A

I will put what to do on here for you this time but please make sure that you search through the appropriate sections before asking a question. This was found under Tweaking XP written by AaronXP:

To drastically reduce your boot time, use the BootVis app from Microsoft. and run these instructions in this order:

Run bootvis, trace menu, next boot+ driver delays, 2 repetitions. let it reboot twice, start bootvis again and load newest .bin file it created, select optimize system and let it do it's thing. after it's finished optimizing run boot+driver delays again and see how much shorter it is.

Get BootVis from here: http://www.microsoft.com/HWDEV/fastboot/default.htm

It cut my boot time by 15-20 secs which is pretty good!

Also - To speed it up even more, assign an IP to your network card if you have one, and disable the Welcome screen (configured in Control Panel > Users)

Enjoy...take a look at forum rulez and welcome!

Rick:cool:

ive not tried bootvis yet... ill let you guys screw things up first and see if its any good lol

the intended results sound good though, after installing zonealarm and antivirus and that soundblaster card my comp now boots as fast as 98 did.. not good is it :wail:

I am using Win98se for a few days while waiting on XP to come in to my mail box. While using XP, it blows away load up and shutdown times compared to XP. Of course, there is much more to load on XP but the best that can be done right now is to apply the patches that are offered and the tweaks that will allow for a faster shutdown. I got real frustrated with it in XP because all I wanted to do was a simple reboot and it would take like 4 minutes total. As for the Bootvis...you need to talk to AaronXP about your prob because he has ran this prog successfully and originally posted how to use it.

Rick:cool:

I ran it last night with out a promblem....My normal start up time was running about 55sec to 1min 5 sec, after I ran it and followed the direction real close my boot time is almost allways exzact. Now Im at 41 sec. So it has not only keep it stable and set at a degree it has also increased my time for booting. Then I went in and OC my system and I managed to stay at a even time of around 22-27 secs for boot up.

[b:76b999c6e2]drewdatrip[/b:76b999c6e2] - after you did the two boots, did you click file, and open and pick the very last .bin file, then click optimize? If you did, I have no clue then sorry:cry

-XPerties

so xperties

u mean u actually haf a faster boot time after running bootvis?

i tried it this afternoon, and it slows my boot up time by a lot

before, in the boot up windows logo screen, the blue squares go once and a half , after bootvis, it goes like 6-7 times

how many times did urs go?

haha, never looked at it, Im at work so I wont have a chance to till I get home, But as I said above:

Before: 55sec to 1min 5 sec

After: 41 sec

OC After: 22-27 sec

So yeppers it did a world of good for me!

-XPerties

Yup Xperties, i followed the directions closley, but when i clicked the newest bin file, and tryed to optimise it it says that there were no drives detected..i think this has to do with my on board Ultra66. My award bios has never detected my drives, they have always been detected by the Ultra66 bios setup that come up a bit after the first bios runthrough. It has never caused any problems until now.

If your woundering im on a Abit Be6-2 version 1, with a 20gig and a 13.6

:WTF?:

-drew

Hi there again, sorry that it took so long for me to respond with my results. {I have to finish one program by next week for my class and start on the other one on Friday.)

I ran BootVis and i went down from 2 min 50 sec to just a bit under 2 min. As you can see with the results my PC start 50+ sec faster than before thanks to BootVis and Rick's response. :) (By the way Rick I looked throught the forums for couple of hours found alot of usefull stuff, but didn't know you had a search engine here. And thats why i brought this topic up. I will use the search feature next time.):eek:

Hey XPerties what did you exactly did when you said that "I went in and OC my system"?

After I ran BootVis and opened the most recent Binary File(*.bin), I saw in the first window, Boot Activity, that Disk took 147(I assume 147 seconds). Which from my point of view is a bit too long:WTF?: . Have any suggestions.

If anybody wants me to attach BootVis's Binary File from the last run let me now.

If you upgraded there would be a serious change in speed of everything. But all depends on what you use your computer for. If you just go on the internet, use word and play games that dont have serois grafix, then dont bother, but if you play games like Max Pyne, Unreal tournament ect, then a cpu upgrade, as well as a nice grafix card would help alot

-drew