nForce4 Sata/Raid problem with nLite b5

Fernando 1

The problems with integrating the NVIDIA nForce SATA/RAID drivers into a bootable Windows XP CD (32-bit) are not totally resolved by nLite 1.0 Beta5.

I am owner of an nForce4 mainboard with 2 SATA hard disks connected by NVIDIA Raid0 array. When I try to integrate the NVIDIA Sata-Raid driver (from new official and WHQL certified package v.6.66 ) into the German version of Windows XP Professional (32-bit) by using the new build of nLite, I get the same endless reboots as with 64-bit systems.

The integration has been done as TEXTMODE and I tried 2 different methods:

1) taking the folder IDE\WINXP\SATARAID and

2) taking the folder IDE\WINXP\PATARAID from the driver package.

In both cases the integration of the mass controller driver failed.

When I opened the SETUPAPI.LOG from that partition into which I just had installed the system, I found the following sequence about the installation of the NVIDIA SATA controller driver:

[2005/07/17 14:32:31 276.1454 Driver Install]

#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): pci\ven_10de&dev_0055&subsys_cb8410de&rev_a3,pci\ven_10de&dev_0055&subsys_cb8410de,pci\ven_10de&dev_0055&cc_010185,pci\ven_10de&dev_0055&cc_0101

#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): pci\ven_10de&dev_0055&rev_a3,pci\ven_10de&dev_0055,pci\ven_10de&cc_010185,pci\ven_10de&cc_0101,pci\ven_10de,pci\cc_010185,pci\cc_0101

#-199 Executing "I:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup -newsetup

#I022 Found "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055" in I:\WINDOWS\nldrv\nvatabus.inf; Device: "NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller"; Driver: "NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller"; Provider: "NVIDIA Corporation"; Mfg: "NVIDIA Corporation"; Section name: "Crush11_Inst".

#I087 Driver node not trusted, rank changed from 0x00002001 to 0x0000a001.

#I023 Actual install section: [Crush11_Inst.NTx86]. Rank: 0x0000a001. Effective driver date: 05/17/2005.

#I393 Modified INF cache "I:\WINDOWS\inf\INFCACHE.1".

#I022 Found "PCI\CC_0101" in I:\WINDOWS\inf\mshdc.inf; Device: "Standard-Zweikanal-PCI-IDE-Controller"; Driver: "Standard-Zweikanal-PCI-IDE-Controller"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg: "(Standard-IDE-ATA/ATAPI-Controller)"; Section name: "pciide_Inst".

#I023 Actual install section: [pciide_Inst]. Rank: 0x00003006. Effective driver date: 07/01/2001.

#-147 Loading class installer module for "IDE-Controller".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "I:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "IDE-Controller" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: Es war keine Signatur im Antragsteller vorhanden.

#-148 Loading coinstaller modules for "IDE-Controller".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "I:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "IDE-Controller" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: Es war keine Signatur im Antragsteller vorhanden.

#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.

#I063 Selected driver installs from section [pciide_Inst] in "i:\windows\inf\mshdc.inf".

#I320 Class GUID of device remains: {4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

#I060 Set selected driver.

#I058 Selected best compatible driver.

#-124 Doing copy-only install of "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055&SUBSYS_CB8410DE&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&40".

#-166 Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.

#I056 Coinstallers registered.

#-148 Loading coinstaller modules for "Standard-Zweikanal-PCI-IDE-Controller".

#E360 An unsigned or incorrectly signed file "I:\WINDOWS\system32\SysSetup.Dll" for driver "Standard-Zweikanal-PCI-IDE-Controller" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0100: Es war keine Signatur im Antragsteller vorhanden.

#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.

#-011 Installing section [pciide_Inst.Interfaces] from "i:\windows\inf\mshdc.inf".

#I054 Interfaces installed.

#-166 Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.

#I123 Doing full install of "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055&SUBSYS_CB8410DE&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&40".

#W100 Query-removal during install of "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055&SUBSYS_CB8410DE&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&40" was vetoed by "IDE\DiskSAMSUNG_SP2004C_________________________VM100-31\R30534737314A5930303438313330202020202020" (veto type 6: PNP_VetoDevice).

#W104 Device "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055&SUBSYS_CB8410DE&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&40" required reboot: Query remove failed (install) CfgMgr32 returned: 0x17: CR_REMOVE_VETOED.

#I121 Device install of "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055&SUBSYS_CB8410DE&REV_A3\3&2411E6FE&0&40" finished successfully.

That certifies, that Microsoft XP takes the wrong driver (Standard-Dual Channel-PCI-IDE-Controller) in the GUIMODE part of the installation procedure, because the OS (XP Pro) does not trust the correct driver from NVIDIA!

After this experience I will test, if the method I have described for the 64-bit version of Windows XP is even usefull for the 32-bit version of the OS. There would be only small modifications necessary.

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

That's true and with this driver signature thing they really annoy me.

However since that sif method works lets go that way...I won't patch this method any more, it works for some, for some it won't no mather what.

edit: unless someone finds exactly what's the point...maybe nvraid.inf needs editing who knows

Edited by nuhi

That's true and with this driver signature thing they really annoy me.

However since that sif method works lets go that way...I won't patch this method any more, it works for some, for some it won't no mather what.

I just have tested the [OemInfFiles] method, which is working like charme with 64-bit systems and nLite Beta4, with the 32-bit drivers of the NVIDIA chipset package v. 6.66 (using this time nLite Beta5) - and it failed!

So there is still a lot of work to do.........

@ Nuhi:

Do you have any advice?

Edited by Fernando 1

Not at the moment, sorting bug reports, gonna contact you when I'm ready.

i try nvraid 6.66 on xp 64 and adibg lines on winnt.sif; and i get a error message at windows stup that the drivers nvraid.sys in not for that OS :} i don't care if drivers are whql or not ...

Not at the moment, sorting bug reports, gonna contact you when I'm ready.

i try nvraid 6.66 on xp 64 and adibg lines on winnt.sif; and i get a error message at windows stup that the drivers nvraid.sys in not for that OS :} i don't care if drivers are whql or not ...

In this case MS was right: The driver NVRAID.SYS from the chipset package 6.66 is really not designed for Windows XP x64 Edition. The correct driver should be named NVRDX64.SYS!

I suppose, that you took the 32-bit package.

CU

Fernando

Hi,

I am having this exact same issue as of this morning. I haven't made an nlited windows CD in quite awhile so thought I would try a newly made one on a fresh format. I too am using 32 bit windows with Nforce4 6.66 package. The making of the cd goes without a hitch including the integration of the two needed Nvidia RAID Drivers. Windows sets up and installs flawless as well with no error messages however upon the final reboot when windows goes to load itself the system reboots. It will do this endlessly until I shut it off. Upon each reboot I get the boot menu asking me if I want to safe mode, last known good configuration etc however no matter which I chose the system reboots. I take it this is the exact issue you are describing above? It seems you have no ideas either or you wouldn't be asking for help like I am however I need to know, does this only occur in newly released 6.66 driver or does the older 6.53 driver do the same thing? If it is only the new drivers I have no problems making another cd with the older drivers however if it is going to be the same then I will have to hold off. I am sad as everything seemed to be going so smoothly until the very last post and boot of my system. If anyone has ANY ideas for a fix or an alternative method to get my nlite cd to install with the latest nvidia raid drivers integrated on the cd please do share as I am desperate. I have no floppy in my computer so this is the only way I can do this. I have copied the raid drivers onto my bootable flash but of course windows installation won't check any media but an A:\ floppy drive for the needed files. I am glad I am not the only one but I hope a fix can be found as I will be very greatful. Besides this set back nlite is perfect for my needs.

I am more than willing to be a beta tester for any fixes that get conjured up. I will leave the newly created nvidia raid array as is incase a fix comes available that I can reinstall with.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by cantankerous

Hi,

I am having this exact same issue as of this morning.  I haven't made an nlited windows CD in quite awhile so thought I would try a newly made one on a fresh format.  I too am using 32 bit windows with Nforce4 6.66 package.  The making of the cd goes without a hitch including the integration of the two needed Nvidia RAID Drivers.  Windows sets up and installs flawless as well with no error messages however upon the final reboot when windows goes to load itself the system reboots.  It will do this endlessly until I shut it off.  Upon each reboot I get the boot menu asking me if I want to safe mode, last known good configuration etc however no matter which I chose the system reboots.  I take it this is the exact issue you are describing above?  It seems you have no ideas either or you wouldn't be asking for help like I am however I need to know, does this only occur in newly released 6.66 driver or does the older 6.53 driver do the same thing?  If it is only the new drivers I have no problems making another cd with the older drivers however if it is going to be the same then I will have to hold off.  I am sad as everything seemed to be going so smoothly until the very last post and boot of my system.  If anyone has ANY ideas for a fix or an alternative method to get my nlite cd to install with the latest nvidia raid drivers integrated on the cd please do share as I am desperate.  I have no floppy in my computer so this is the only way I can do this.  I have copied the raid drivers onto my bootable flash but of course windows installation won't check any media but an A:\ floppy drive for the needed files.  I am glad I am not the only one but I hope a fix can be found as I will be very greatful.  Besides this set back nlite is perfect for my needs.

I am more than willing to be a beta tester for any fixes that get conjured up.  I will leave the newly created nvidia raid array as is incase a fix comes available that I can reinstall with.

Thanks a bunch.

i try 6.53 with xp 32bits and nlite 1.05 and i get it work without problem on a abit an8 sli mobo with 2 raptor in raid 0. i haven't try yet 6.66 or 7.13.

thank you for the reply blank. Did you integrate drivers normally through nlite to get it to work or was there something else you did? Perhaps it is just 6.66. I will try 6.53 later and hope for better results. Anyone else have success with latest build of nlite and 6.53 nvidia raid drivers on NF4 setup? I am using DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D.

thank you for the reply blank.  Did you integrate drivers normally through nlite to get it to work or was there something else you did?  Perhaps it is just 6.66.  I will try 6.53 later and hope for better results.  Anyone else have success with latest build of nlite and 6.53 nvidia raid drivers on NF4 setup?  I am using DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D.

I have the same mainboard and probably the same problems as you.

The longer I test the stronger is my thinking, that especially the driver package 6.66 is just bad built by NVIDIA.

If you have any trouble integrating the 64-bit nForce SATA/Raid drivers into Windows XP x64 Edition, try it the way I described here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=352404

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi Fernando 1,

so if you feel 6.66 is a bad driver from Nvidia are you agreeing with blank that the RAID drivers from 6.53 pack will integrate properly with Nlite? Have you successfully done so with the drivers from 6.53 yourself without issue? I ask because 6.66 is the first driver I tried and don't want to waste my time making another cd and formatting unless I know for sure the older version is fine. If worse comes to worse I will use the raid driver from 6.53 and everything else from the 6.66 pack. I appreciate your time in replying. Thank you.

Hi Fernando 1,

so if you feel 6.66 is a bad driver from Nvidia are you agreeing with blank that the RAID drivers from 6.53 pack will integrate properly with Nlite?

Yes, he might be right.

Have you successfully done so with the drivers from 6.53 yourself without issue? 

Yes, but yet not fully automaticly as TEXTMODE drivers by nLite. I made some changes in TXTSETUP.SIF

I'm just going to try the package 7.13, wait a few minutes ......

EDIT: It does not work with nLite 1.0 b5. Result: endless reboots!

I tried it without any handmade changes. The SATA/Raid drivers were integrated from the folder SATARAID as TEXTMODE drivers. Additionally I added the content of the folder PATARAID as "normal" driver (to have the NVATABUS.INF).

But the failure might be due to the fact, that the package 7.13 is designed for nForce4 Sli Intel.

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi Fernando 1,

so if you feel 6.66 is a bad driver from Nvidia are you agreeing with blank that the RAID drivers from 6.53 pack will integrate properly with Nlite?  Have you successfully done so with the drivers from 6.53 yourself without issue?  I ask because 6.66 is the first driver I tried and don't want to waste my time making another cd and formatting unless I know for sure the older version is fine.  If worse comes to worse I will use the raid driver from 6.53 and everything else from the 6.66 pack.  I appreciate your time in replying.  Thank you.

wait a while, i think i make a mistake while making my iso on xp64 with 6.66 (need to stop that weed :P ) so i'm just on it now and let you know if it works. I'm just for sure that 6.53 + xp 32 with nl 1.05 is working ;)

see now I don't know what to do. I hear differnet things from different people. I want to be able to integrate the SATA RAID drivers via textmode in nlite WITHOUT having to make any changes. When I had Silicon Image and Promise RAID I never had an issue like I do with this nvidia raid. If there is no way to do it without making changes then I guess I am SOL UNLESS Fernando you would be so kind as to send me any modified files you used and let me know where to put them so I can have no further troubles. If 6.66 doesn't work no matter what but you know that 6.53 works in at least one way please drop me a PM with detailed instructions so as to not clutter this thread anymore than it is. I really would appreciate it as I have useless windows running now and don't want to format unless I know its going to work. I would like to have the best install possible as I don't do it often. Thanks.