Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Also in the first GUI installation section, I create the partition and do a quick format. Previously, I have done a full format too just to make sure. I think doing both of them methods is surely removing everything?
No, if you really want to erase all datas (especially the hidden datas written by any OS), you have to do a special way of formatting ("low format"). This takes more time than the "normal" formatting.

But as you have already written, you obviously have done a "low format" before you created the RAID array.

It is not a problem to use the "quick format" option, when you are going to install a new OS replacing an already existing Windows partition, but you should not take this option, when you are going to install an OS the first time.

Another idea: Did you really unplug all storage devices outside your RAID array (USB stick, Floppy, Card Reader etc.) before you begin with the XP installation? The XP setup routine does not like RAID arrays. If it finds any other possibility to get the OS installed, it tries there first.

Also in the first GUI installation section, I create the partition and do a quick format. Previously, I have done a full format too just to make sure. I think doing both of them methods is surely removing everything?
No, if you really want to erase all datas (especially the hidden datas written by any OS), you have to do a special way of formatting ("low format"). This takes more time than the "normal" formatting.

But as you have already written, you obviously have done a "low format" before you created the RAID array.

It is not a problem to use the "quick format" option, when you are going to install a new OS replacing an already existing Windows partition, but you should not take this option, when you are going to install an OS the first time.

Another idea: Did you really unplug all storage devices outside your RAID array (USB stick, Floppy, Card Reader etc.) before you begin with the XP installation? The XP setup routine does not like RAID arrays. If it finds any other possibility to get the OS installed, it tries there first.

Yeah I did already do a low level format, but only the once as it takes a small part of my life up! However, I did do it before I started slipstreaming Windows, so might give that a try to, or could use WesternDigital's tools to write 0's to the drives. I will do a low level format, and add that to my list :)

Literally everything that is connected is the 2 drives and a DVD-RW, nothing else is outside the RAID erray. I might take the jumper out the DVD-RW tho, as it's coming up as 2ndary IDE (which is what it was before the RAID erray, as I had an IDE hard drive and 2xSATA drives.

What I'll do when I get back, is create another slipstreamed CD using only the driver in the SATARAID folder, and burn that. Check that everything in the bios is setup correctly, and redo the raid erray in NVRaid. Then do a low level format when I run the windows installation.

If needs be, I might try another Windows CD.

I'll let you know how I get on! Cheers mate. :)

*EDIT* I've had another random thought actually...a couple of things have changed since my last format a while ago

a) A new monitor, which is connected via DVi. During windows installation, the screen does literally move halfway down the monitor so I can't see it. I think I'll temporarily go back to analogue, just to be careful.

B) 1.3 bios flash, which seems to have sorted an issue during windows installation, I think anyway. Last time I installed windows it'd stop with 37mins to go asking for the HD audio drivers for my soundcard, but pressing cancel is enough and it will carry on without them. So I'm guessing they've solved that issue.

I might even take out a GFX card, as it's in SLi.

Only another 5 hours to go....

Edited by yeomansinc

I've had problems with my disks, when I make one, works great on all nforce series with sata,(AMD) but the last Nforce416X intel machine I built, it would boot loop during the install.

(ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE)

any suggestions?

I'm going to try to use the latest Intel Nforce 590 driver for my next disk set and hope it works.

Edited by temporalwar

I've had problems with my disks, when I make one, works great on all nforce series with sata,(AMD) but the last Nforce416X intel machine I built, it would boot loop during the install.

(ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE)

any suggestions?

Try to integrate just the SATARAID subfolder of your used chipset driver package (without additionally integrating the SATA_IDE subfolder). To prevent the automaticly running integration of the SATA_IDE subfolder by nLite you should store the SATARAID subfolder outside the chipset driver package.

I used the MIE'S Nware and extrackted only the SATARAID as text mode

And automaticly the SATA_IDE was inported as IPE ALSO I ADDED THE NEWEST nvidia 93.71 video driver.

I did have the setup fail whenI tried to add other drivers in network and sw driver. Also make sure you take the cd out for the re boots and than put it back in. For some reason, My system dosent like to boot properly if the cd is in thr cd rom after the initial install.

And automaticly the SATA_IDE was inported as IPE ALSO I ADDED THE NEWEST nvidia 93.71 video driver.

I did have the setup fail whenI tried to add other drivers in network and sw driver. Also make sure you take the cd out for the re boots and than put it back in. For some reason, My system dosent like to boot properly if the cd is in thr cd rom after the initial install.

Thank you for the clarification. So it is obviously possible to get the newest nForce SataRaid drivers installed onto an nForce3 chipset system.

So this is what other users with an nForce3 SataRaid system should do:

• Download Mei's latest nWare Release (x86), which is a "Unified Driver Package" and contains the newest nForce SataRaid drivers modded for nForce2 and nForce3 chipsets. You can get this driver package here. To get the driver subfolders ready for the later integration, you have to "install" the package somewhere or to extract it with 7z.
  • Then start nLite and integrate the IDE\WinXP\SATARAID subfolder of Mei's driver package as TEXTMODE driver and the IDE\WinXP\SATA_IDE subfolder as PnP driver (will be automaticly done by nLite v. 1.2 or higher).

Thank you for the clarification. So it is obviously possible to get the newest nForce SataRaid drivers installed onto an nForce3 chipset system.

So this is what other users with an nForce3 SataRaid system should do:

• Download Mei's latest nWare Release (x86), which is a "Unified Driver Package" and contains the newest nForce SataRaid drivers modded for nForce2 and nForce3 chipsets. You can get this driver package here. To get the driver subfolders ready for the later integration, you have to "install" the package somewhere or to extract it with 7z.
  • Then start nLite and integrate the IDE\WinXP\SATARAID subfolder of Mei's driver package as TEXTMODE driver and the IDE\WinXP\SATA_IDE subfolder as PnP driver (will be automaticly done by nLite v. 1.2 or higher).

Yes exactly , this works.

I still am not sure what driver caused me the problem when I added the sw, network. and audio driver.

I am gonna try removing, I think, the audio driver and see what happens later today.

OK, (nforce 3 250 gb sata raid no f6 needed)

removed the audio driver

inserted the IDE\WinXP\SATARAID subfolder of Mei's driver package as TEXTMODE driver and the IDE\WinXP\SATA_IDE subfolder as PnP driver. sm driver, mem controler driver, Gart driver, network driver, and video driver.(all from Mei's driver package accept the video driver.)

Setup installed sucessfully and is running perfictly.

Just wanted to post a quick thank you to Fernando and other users on this forum. The method outlined in the first post (and some subsequent notes) worked flawlessly the first time out. Saved me a headache, some $ for an external SATA RAID card, and intro'ed me to a few new tools. Thanks!!!! :thumbup

Using a Tyan Tomcat K8E-SLI (S2866) motherboard, NForce4 Ultra chipset

Edited by B3n

I have tried just about every option with nLite

1) Fully customized with options and drivers integrated as outlined in the OP - blue screened at 100% of files copied over with error BAD_POOL_HEADER

2) Didn't remove any components from Windows (in nLite) and kept everything else the same - gave an error copying a file over but I hit retry and it worked. Blue screened at 100% of files copied over with IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN blah blah

3) Only added NVRaid drivers to Windows - line 12185 of txtsetup.sif is invalid. (the line says PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9622&SUBSYS_00018086 = "i2omp" )

I only have my 2 SATA RAIDed drives hooked up, 2 memory sticks (removed the extra stick), and DVD-RW and DVDROM drive hooked up. I've removed my sound card, my TV tuner, my IDE drives - trying just to get Windows installed.

System specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000MHz HT

RAM: 3 GB (2 x 1 GB + 2 x 512 MB) Dual Channel DDR400 SDRAM

Motherboard: ABIT KN8 Ultra NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra

Video Card: XFX Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Sound Card: X-FI XtremeMusic

Monitor: Dual 19" @ 1600x1200

PSU: Antec True Power 430W

Software versions:

nLite 1.2.1

Windows XP with SP2

nForce 6.86

My disks have gone bad and I can't remake them without access to the PC - it's the only one with a floppy drive in the house. This is a headache!

Software versions:

nLite 1.2.1

Windows XP with SP2

nForce 6.86

Which subfolder of the 6.86 package did you integrate?

I did just as you wrote in the OP

I added the SATAraid folder in textmode and nLite automatically added the Sata_IDE folder

A total of 3 entries in the driver list in nLite

What's funny is that the NVRaid drivers are working fine - it recognizes the JBOD array and I can format the smaller partition meant for Windows, but the rest of the Windows installation is screwing up.

Edited by AJPatel

I did just as you wrote in the OP

I added the SATAraid folder in textmode and nLite automatically added the Sata_IDE folder

A total of 3 entries in the driver list in nLite

You may try to remove the automaticly integrated SATA_IDE driver.

Another idea: Do you have a S-ATA connected CDROM/DVD?