Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Ok actually I just :

- quick-zeroed the two disks with DiscWizard from Seagate to remove all partition information (for that I used Ultimate boot CD)

- slipstreamed an older Windows XP installation disk (SP2) the way you described with the adequate Nvidia drivers (not only the raid ones but also SMBus and Ethernet)

and it worked juste fine!

Thank you again for you help!

You are welcome.

As you may have realized, your problem had nothing to do with the nForce SataRaid drivers.

Fine, that you succeeded at least.

CU

Fernando

You are welcome.

As you may have realized, your problem had nothing to do with the nForce SataRaid drivers.

Fine, that you succeeded at least.

CU

Fernando

I took two steps, I don't know which one solved the problem.

I suspect that the problem stemmed from the install CD I used: it was tuned, with SP3, raid drivers, and other stuff wich probably didn't fit well with the nVidia raid drivers (because that CD installed perfectly on a non-raid system).

• 2 weeks later...

Fernando - does the installation CD you specified for SATA Raid work with Nvidia 780i SLI mainboards? (more specifically what extra will I need for the nvidia 7 series board) I'm getting a blue screen when I try to install Raid right at the windows xp 32 bit setup screen. I have a 780i SLI board, an intel q6700 quad core processor, and 2 sticks of 2MB DDR2 PC6400 Memory - thanks.

Fernando - does the installation CD you specified for SATA Raid work with Nvidia 780i SLI mainboards? (more specifically what extra will I need for the nvidia 7 series board)
Yes, it will work, there is nothing to do extra. Just integrate the SATARAID folder content as textmode driver.
I'm getting a blue screen when I try to install Raid right at the windows xp 32 bit setup screen. I have a 780i SLI board, an intel q6700 quad core processor, and 2 sticks of 2MB DDR2 PC6400 Memory - thanks.
Your BSOD might be due to problems of handling 4 GB of RAM by Windows XP.

Try to remove 1 memory stick while installing the OS. Once the OS is up, you can insert it again (but the 32bit OS will only be able to use 3 GB of your memory).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I spent all weekend trying to get an nLited Windows XP installation with nForce SATA/RAID drivers to work, but haven't been having much luck. I tested the general principle of the process (e.g. slipstreaming SP3 into XP Pro 32-bit, along with one textmode driver) to create a bootable ISO and used it to build a Windows XP Virtual Machine. This worked OK, so I decided to continue and try to rebuild my real PC using this method.

After a lot of failed attempts (constant BSOD, reboot loop at the first boot after GUI install of XP completes), I think I know what the problem is, although I don't know how to resolve it. The latest WHQL nForce chipset drivers for my nForce 680SLi chipset (Asus Striker Extreme motherboard) contains SATARAID drivers, which if copied to floppy disk for a normal attended F6 style install require two (2) floppy disks to be inserted.

I managed to get the OS installed, after ripping the case open and hooking in a real floppy drive. I then had to copy the contents of the extracted chipset driver .exe onto two disks. The directory structure is something like this...

IDE\WinXP\RAIDTOOL
\SATA_IDE
\SATARAID
\Floppy
\Disk1
\NvRCoEnu.dll
\disk1
\nvgts.sys
\nvide.nvu
\nvraid.cat
\nvraidco.dll
\nvrd32.inf
\nvrd32.sys
\txtsetup.oem
\Disk2
\NvRCoAr.dll
\NvRCoCs.dll
\NvRCoDa.dll
\NvRCoDe.dll
\NvRCoEl.dll
\NvRCoEng.dll
\NvRCoEs.dll
\NvRCoEsm.dll
\NvRCoFi.dll
\NvRCoFr.dll
\NvRCoHe.dll
\NvRCoHu.dll
\NvRCoIt.dll
\NvRCoJa.dll
\NvRCoKo.dll
\NvRCoNl.dll
\NvRCoNo.dll
\NvRCoPl.dll
\NvRCoPt.dll
\NvRCoPtb.dll
\NvRCoRu.dll
\NvRCoSk.dll
\NvRCoSl.dll
\NvRCoSv.dll
\NvRCoTh.dll
\NvRCoTr.dll
\NvRCoZhc.dll
\NvRCoZht.dll
\disk2

The contents of disk1 and disk2 folders combined is slightly larger than the size of a floppy disk. The problem with integrating these into an nLited CD is that the second directory doesn't contain any .inf files. I'm assuming this second folder (disk2) is required because as I said when I did a normal attended install I was asked to insert disk2, and this worked in the end, e.g. no BSOD.

So my question is this... how can I integrate a two disk textmode driver package into an nLited bootable CD? Or is there a way of stripping out the second disk requirement from the driver (because I guess I only need the english DLL really) by maybe hacking the txtsetup.oem and the inf file?

Thanks - Sid

Please post this "nvrd32.inf" as an attachment.

I am willing to bet though that it lists all of the files on disk2, so if it does the all you need to do is place all of the files in the same folder and nLite will pick up on them... (It reads the inf for all needed files and ignores the rest as the inf only calls for the files it needs)

After re-reading the provided info all the second disk is is lang files :D so yeah just put them all into the same folder and run nLite, selecting txtmode when you get asked for it..

The problem with hacking it is you loose WHQL driver signing and that is a bad thing. You'll prolly have to keep all of them.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Please post this "nvrd32.inf" as an attachment.

I am willing to bet though that it lists all of the files on disk2, so if it does the all you need to do is place all of the files in the same folder and nLite will pick up on them... (It reads the inf for all needed files and ignores the rest as the inf only calls for the files it needs)

After re-reading the provided info all the second disk is is lang files :D so yeah just put them all into the same folder and run nLite, selecting txtmode when you get asked for it..

The problem with hacking it is you loose WHQL driver signing and that is a bad thing. You'll prolly have to keep all of them.

Thanks for the reply. You're right, the nvrd32.inf file does indeed list all files which can be found under disk1 and disk2 folders under the [sourceDisksFiles.x86] section. It also seems to make reference to a second disk though like this...

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,SCSI\NVIDIA__Raid_Disk________

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,SCSI\__NVIDIA_______Raid_Disk

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,SCSI\NVIDIA__Raid_Disk_20_____

%NVRAID_DESC%=nvraid,SCSI\__NVIDIA____Raid_Disk_20

Also, the file txtsetup.oem also includes reference of the two disks...

[Disks]

d1 = "NVIDIA RAID DRIVER (SCSI) disk 1",\disk1,\

d2 = "NVIDIA RAID DRIVER (SCSI) disk 2",\disk2,\

So would these files have to be modified to stop the driver thinking it needs to access a second disk, OR should I just use the .inf file from the folder from the extracted driver .exe which is IDE\WinXP\SATARAID which contains the contents of all of the floppy\disk1 and floppy\disk2 directories in nLite instead?

*Files attached too - had to rename txtsetup.oem to txtsetup_oem.txt so it would upload.

Many Thanks - Sid

nvrd32.inf

txtsetup_oem.txt

Ok I looked at the files...

I think and would bet (Can't be POSITIVE here as 2 disk raid floppys are very uncommon) That nlite will pick up on the second folder. just to be safe though I would try it like so:

Put the floppies files in folder named floppy 1 & 2

COPY all of the floppy 2 into floppy 1

Pick mutiple driver folder in the driver integration section

Point it to the PARENT folder of floppy 1 & 2

Then when nLite asks you MUST pick txtsetup mode

After all is said and done look into the I386 folder and see the folder called NLDRV

Open said folder and see if the proper files are in folder - note the txtsetup.oem file won't be in there

All in all I am pretty sure Nuhi (Nlites author) knows what to do with these and has programed nLite to handle them right.

Please let me know how it works out.

Dear NLite users and developers,

I ve got a ASUS AN8X E deluxe Motherboard with a 1st gen. SATA chipset (SiI 3112A RAID controller) . Using a "golden" Win XP (no servicepacks), nLite works flawlessly, with the old SATA drivers integrated on the installation disc. I wanted though to use this old motherboard in a Media center, having a OEM MCA disc v5 (service pack 2), I ve been trying endlessly different SATA nForce drivers as described in the first posting , as well as the newest and the old drivers provided by silicon to make it work, but I get either the message "windows was unable to find any hard drives on this system" or by other combinations "setup cannot copy Si3221r.cat". Pressing escape and continue the installation leads to blue screens at restart with error code 0x0000007b, which supposedly means the drives are not accessible.

Please advice,

A. Torgersen

Edited by bratsj

@ big_sid and Kelsenellenelvian:

There is no need to change or edit any files.

If you are going to integrate the nForce SataRaid drivers of NVIDIA's new nForce chipset driver packs 15.17 or 15.18, you should just take the content of the SATARAID folder (and additionally the SATA_IDE folder, if you have a LEGACY mode nForce chipset). Before you are doing this, you can delete the subfolder(s) named "Floppy".

NVIDIA has created these "Floppy" subfolders just for the F6 method, because you won't get all these multilingual driver files onto 1 floppy disk.

@ bratsj:

As long as your hdd is connected to a Silicon Image S-ATA Controller, you cannot use any nForce SataRaid drivers.

Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks Kelsenellenelvian & Fernando...

I will give this a go later on, and try re-installing XP with the SATARAID drivers and slipstreamed SP3, and will let everyone know how I get on.

Cheers - Sid

OK, I did as suggested with the nForce sataraid drivers, BUT now when the first stage of the GUI installer starts to boot, i'm getting the message "Not enough virtual memory or paging quota available to complete the specified operation." pop up in an error dialogue box then the system reboots, and goes into a loop doing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Sid

OK, I did as suggested with the nForce sataraid drivers, BUT now when the first stage of the GUI installer starts to boot, i'm getting the message "Not enough virtual memory or paging quota available to complete the specified operation." pop up in an error dialogue box then the system reboots, and goes into a loop doing this.
How much RAM are you using?

2 gig... i know 4 gig can cause problems with 32-bit XP... but I would have thought 2 gig should be OK. I did incorporate a lot of other bits into the nLite'd image (hotfixes and nvidia PnP network drivers) and made it unattended. I'm trying another image, this time not unattended.