Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

some days ago at the starting it said "degraded" refered at the array...

i rebuilt the array and now i've to ri-format again the partition!?

fortunately i didn't put anything on it yet... but can this happen again? i've to put on it important datas

Edited by RyvBoy

"Degraded" means there is a HDD missing in the striped set.

If you built a RAID-0 with 2 HDD and 1 HDD is gone (crashed or disconnected)

then your RAID is no longer valid. This is NOT a driver-related problem.

Check your connections (IDE, SATA, Powersupply) in your PC.

i built a mirroring array on 2 hd
so that`s RAID-1

If one of the 2 HDD crashes, all data is stored on the other HDD - that`s the wanted behaviour of RAID-1.

If you replace the faulty HDD (i´m not 100% sure about this), you got to REBUILD, but not to FORMAT.

The whole data is mirrored from the "alive" HDD to the new one.

I don`t know why one of your HDD is gone for a while, but still alive - so check connections.

when that happened i didn't see it anymore in "Computer Resources"

i had to go in disk management and riformat...

maybe now i try to see if it happens again

Edited by RyvBoy

don't you remember me?

some pages ago i wrote

I beg your pardon, but this thread has gotten a big volume and a lot of users, who are asking for help. Additionally I am supporting more threads than this one.

If I would read all previous posts before I am writing a comment, I wouldn't have even time to sleep.

Guest veato

Fernando I wonder if you could help with this please?

I have used nLite version 1.4.9.1 and your driver package v9.99.09 with an XP SP2 CD. I added the two items from the SATARAID subfolder as textmode and added the SATA_IDE subfolder as PNP. I did not add or change anything else. This burned ok.

When I use this on a laptop (Intel Core2Duo CPU, nVidia MCP79MVL chipset, Pheonix BIOS, Samsung 160GB HDD) with AHCI selected in BIOS I get a blue screen during the install process.

It happens just after all the device drivers are loaded and before the actual windows setup starts (the bit where you create partitions, etc).

Am I doing something wrong? I wondered if I was integrating the wrong driver or folder into the XP CD?

Thanks.

Guest veato
Fernando I wonder if you could help with this please?

I have used nLite version 1.4.9.1 and your driver package v9.99.09 with an XP SP2 CD. I added the two items from the SATARAID subfolder as textmode and added the SATA_IDE subfolder as PNP. I did not add or change anything else. This burned ok.

When I use this on a laptop (Intel Core2Duo CPU, nVidia MCP79MVL chipset, Pheonix BIOS, Samsung 160GB HDD) with AHCI selected in BIOS I get a blue screen during the install process.

It happens just after all the device drivers are loaded and before the actual windows setup starts (the bit where you create partitions, etc).

Am I doing something wrong? I wondered if I was integrating the wrong driver or folder into the XP CD?

Thanks.

Just to update the previous post....

after reading though some other responses on here I realised I dont need the RAID part so I tried a fresh XP install with the 10.3.0.42 IDE driver only as per the instruction in 'Part B'. This was looking good and the XP install ran right up to the part where it first reboots (i.e. finished setting up date/time, language options, etc). When starting up after this first reboot though, the laptop blue screens.

after reading though some other responses on here I realised I dont need the RAID part so I tried a fresh XP install with the 10.3.0.42 IDE driver only as per the instruction in 'Part B'. This was looking good and the XP install ran right up to the part where it first reboots (i.e. finished setting up date/time, language options, etc). When starting up after this first reboot though, the laptop blue screens.
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

If you are running your NVIDIA nForce SATA Controller connected hdd in AHCI mode, you should succeed with the XP installation after having integrated a compatible SATA_IDE driver (v10.3.0.46, v10.3.0.42 or v9.99.09) as TEXTMODE driver.

Advice:

You can verify the reason for the bluescreen, if you use the F8 option "Don't reboot at system failure" while rebooting.

Questions:

1. What about your optical drive, where you are booting off? Is it SATA connected?

If yes, use another SATA port or an IDE connected CD/DVD drive while installing XP.

2. What about your RAM? Do you have more than 3 GB?

If yes, remove 1-2 sticks while installiong XP.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Guest veato

Thanks for the help. I couldn't try a different DVD drive as its a laptop and I dont have access to a USB external one.

After playing around for some time I worked out that if I streamlined my USB floppy drivers using nLite and hit F6 during XP install I was able to put the AHCI drivers on via floppy.

Fernando 1, thank you for this great thread.

I regrettedly confirm that v9.99.09 (performance pack) XP x86 drivers do not work with system partition residing on NF4 RAID0. I beleive GTS driver has some incompatibilities with MS's way to check devices and load drivers at startup. Perhaps the issue can be resolved by altering ntdetect.com, since the stop error (7b) is very similar to that of failed USB boot (USB bus was reset while booting).

GTS drivers do work with NF4 RAID though, when system boots from other device.

I hope this has cleared NF4 GTS confusion and someone with enough skills may try to find a way to circumvent boot error. That would be very appreciated.

@ ADDD:

Welcome at MSFN Forums and thank you very much for your feedback.

Your findings and your speculations regarding the relationship between the NVIDIA nForce SATA driver NVGTS.SYS and the MS system file NTDETECT.COM are very interesting and should be investigated furthermore.

Thanks again!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

i built a mirroring array on 2 hd (1tb)

so is an hardware problem?

it's strange, i didn't touch anything

again Array degraded... :realmad:

i'm sick of it

tomorrow i'm gonna format the SO... so i can install the raid at the installation of XP..

Would you please explain me how to do? (to install the drivers at the installation)

ps. windows xp sp3 is ok? or is better sp2?

Edited by RyvBoy