Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Hello. Newbie here. I've been following this posting for several hours now while I work on a friends machine and I simply cannot get past the following error msg:

"The device associated with following device driver will not work correctly on this computer: nvraid.sys.

The device driver is not compatible with the x64-based version of Windows your computer is running"

First, forgive me for my inexperience with RAID setups. I have verified all the steps in your tutorial are correct; RAID enabled in BIOS, array cleared and healthy and unattended win xp 64b boot disc created with the driver from the "64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v9.99.09 mod by Fernando" using nlite.

Some quick details about my issue. The PC was originally running with Vista but the owner has had problems since inception with corrupt arrays. He purchased this copy of Win XP Pro 64 bit and has asked me to load it for him. Obviously it does not have a floppy drive.

So, If I am following your tutorial correctly, I'm guessing I have one of two problems, or both:

1. The Win XP 64b install disk is Service Pack 1. I have downloaded the SP2 installation file but when I try and incorporate that into the unattended installation setup thru nlite I get an error because the machine I am using is a Vista 32bit machine (only 64bit slipstreaming is supported from a 64bit OS). Is there any correlation to my issue here?

-and/or-

2. As I have underlined and bolded above, the error msg specifically indicates the problem is with driver: nvraid.sys. Again, if I am following your tutorial correctly, shouldn't this driver be: nvrd64.sys? If this is the case I am guessing that deleting and clearing the array is not erasing, or allowing an over-write of, the old driver?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated (even if it's some little stupid step I missed).

@ scstrato:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I simply cannot get past the following error msg:

"The device associated with following device driver will not work correctly on this computer: nvraid.sys.

The device driver is not compatible with the x64-based version of Windows your computer is running"

The driver named "NVRAID.SYS" is neither a Windows XP x64 in-box driver nor part of the "64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v9.99.09 mod by Fernando". The error message shows, that you have done something wrong (by using an already customized Windows XP x64 version as source, by integrating a wrong driver or by trying to "upgrade" a 32bit OS with a 64it OS).

Furthermore it is not possible to slipstream a 64bit version of a Service Pack into a 64bit Windows OS from within a 32bit environment.

This is what I recommend to do:

1. Verify, that your Windows XP x64 SP1 CD, which you are using as source, is an original (= untouched) one. If you should find a file named WINNT.SIF within the source CD, you can be sure, that it is not an original Windows OS image.
  2. If you have verified, that your OS source is clean, run nLite and do nothing more than to integrate the "64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v9.99.09 mod by Fernando" as textmode driver and to create the ISO file with the integrated drivers. Don't integrate the SP2 and don't choose the "Unattended install" option.
  3. Boot off the just created CD and choose a fresh installation. Let the XP x64 Setup do a quick format of the partition, where you want to get XP x64 installed.
  4. Once XP x64 SP1 is up, you can run the SP2 EXE file.

This way you should be able to get XP x64 SP2 installed onto the computer of your friend.

Good luck!

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

This is what I recommend to do:

1. Verify, that your Windows XP x64 SP1 CD, which you are using as source, is an original (= untouched) one. If you should find a file named WINNT.SIF within the source CD, you can be sure, that it is not an original Windows OS image.
  2. If you have verified, that your OS source is clean, run nLite and do nothing more than to integrate the "64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v9.99.09 mod by Fernando" as textmode driver and to create the ISO file with the integrated drivers. Don't integrate the SP2 and don't choose the "Unattended install" option.
  3. Boot off the just created CD and choose a fresh installation. Let the XP x64 Setup do a quick format of the partition, where you want to get XP x64 installed.
  4. Once XP x64 SP1 is up, you can run the SP2 EXE file.

This way you should be able to get XP x64 SP2 installed onto the computer of your friend.

No such luck my friend. After following these steps I received the exact same error message referencing "nvraid.sys". Obviously this file is the root of my problem, the question is where is this driver coming from? Originally I thought maybe GParted didn't actually format the drives properly but now I'm thinking the Win XP install disk is loading it during install. Is there a way through nlite (or other utility) to disable this driver altogether and force the use of the integrated drivers? Isn't that what nLite is supposed to be doing for me by creating the disk with integrated drivers?

After following these steps I received the exact same error message referencing "nvraid.sys". Obviously this file is the root of my problem, the question is where is this driver coming from?
If you have done what I had recommended, there is only 1 explanation: The driver has been integrated into the XP x64 CD, which you had used as source.

Questions:

1. Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 or AMD64 directory of your "original" XP x64 CD? If yes, which is the content of the file (open it with the Editor)?

2. Is there a file named NVRAID.SYS or NVRAID.SY_ within the AMD64 directory of the OS CD?

Edited by Fernando 1

After following these steps I received the exact same error message referencing "nvraid.sys". Obviously this file is the root of my problem, the question is where is this driver coming from?
If you have done what I had recommended, there is only 1 explanation: The driver has been integrated into the XP x64 CD, which you had used as source.

Questions:

1. Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 or AMD64 directory of your "original" XP x64 CD? If yes, which is the content of the file (open it with the Editor)?

2. Is there a file named NVRAID.SYS or NVRAID.SY_ within the AMD64 directory of the OS CD?

1. Confirmed. No WINNT.SIF file anywhere on the disk. This is a certified Microsoft windows installation disk, not a copy.

2. There is no file named NVRAID, period, on the disk. I even exported the .CAB files and unpacked them using winrar. Nothing.

So, is it obvious that the NVRAID.sys file is still on the hard drive (not loading during installation)?

1. Confirmed. No WINNT.SIF file anywhere on the disk. This is a certified Microsoft windows installation disk, not a copy.

2. There is no file named NVRAID, period, on the disk. I even exported the .CAB files and unpacked them using winrar. Nothing.

So, is it obvious that the NVRAID.sys file is still on the hard drive (not loading during installation)?

Exactly, I suspect, that there is still a special "Recovery" partition on the hdd, which contains the needed third party drivers to get the preinstalled Vista x86 runnning again after a crash.

You should erase this "Vista x86 Recovery" partition and all will be fine.

I have good news and bad news to report. First, I downloaded a copy of DBAN to rid myself of that pesky partition where nvraid.sys was hiding. Problem is, there was no hidden partition. Even after doing this I still received the exact same error message.

The good news is I now have a working OS installed with a healthy RAID. On a whim I decided to try another build using nLite, however, this time I did not use the direct burn method. I used the exact same method you described above, same drivers and copy of OS, but I created an ISO first then burnt the image to disk. Voila!

I have no idea why this made a difference, or even if it was the issue to begin with, but I am very, VERY happy. Thanks for the patience!!

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to all members,

I'm new to this forum and I have a not very good english, hope you can understand me and if possible help me with this problem.

I have a ASUS P5N-D motherboard with two exactly equal hard drives SATA II. This motherboard has a nVdia 750i SLI chipset.

I want to install in RAID 1, windows server 2003 standard.

What I have done:

1) Create a floppy with raid drivers that i found on the cd that comes with the mobo.

2) With success i created the raid and install the windows 2003

3) After this, on his first start, the pc reboots and repeat this behaviour.

I think i transmited to you the conditions and the problem. Can someone help me?

By the way I'm getting mad with this problem, one week...

Thanks in advance for your attention.

My regards to all.

@ Guaicaipuro:

It is not easy to help you, because you didn't integrate the needed nForce SataRAID drivers by using nLite.

Questions:

1. Why didn't you follow my guide, which is layed down within the start post of this thread?
  2. Is your RAID array shown as "healthy" during the start up?
  3. Which error message do you get, when you hit F8 after having started the PC and choose the "Don't reboot at system failure" option?

Regards

Fernando

Fernando,

Hi again, my problem is solved. I pay attention to your post, read it with carefull and:

1) I slipstremaing SP2 of Windows Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 SP1

2) With nLite I integrate your drivers for RAID on Windows Server created at (1)

3) I Use the CD burned by nLite and like you says, I have a lot of fun at the end of installation

Thank you very much Fernando for this wonderfull job.

See you

p.s. I wonder if with that name you understand portuguese or spanish. Muchas gracias or muito obrigado Fernando

Edited by Guaicaipuro

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Fernando and other OS experts. Hi to all from NYC.

Working with PC's since Jan 1987--IBM PC/XT 8088 4.77MHZ! [That's 4.77MHZ --NOT GHZ!]

My DELL XPS630 PC is running Vista Home Premium 32 bit updated to SP2. I was trying to boot my Dell XPS630i with a backup Hard Disk from my Dell Precision Workstation 470 running XP Pro SP3. Thought maybe I could get away with swapping the disk right in there with ALL my programs, settings and files!

With backup HD from PWS 470 the XPS630 boots to a BSOD Stop error! Tried to boot into Safe Mode--get same BSOD stop error!

Question: Do you think it is at all possible somehow to boot it with the PWS 470 Hard Disk and THEN load the NVIDIA nForce RAID and AHCI drivers or use BartPE to do this? I DO NOT even need to run RAID. Although I read many of the posts on the my630i.com forums, can't find the answer.

Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.

--Alan

Edited by Alanem

I was trying to boot my Dell XPS630i with a backup Hard Disk from my Dell Precision Workstation 470 running XP Pro SP3.

Question: Do you think it is at all possible somehow to boot it with the PWS 470 Hard Disk and THEN load the NVIDIA nForce RAID and AHCI drivers or use BartPE to do this? I DO NOT even need to run RAID.

It's possible to add nForce mass storage at running system, hence at Precision Workstation 470.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=109384

Integrating at offline system (XPS630i) with BartPE is possible too.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20464

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22523

Ask at 911cd if you need further help. Nvgts.sys may need a adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here. I have a mobo A8N VM CSM (nForce 410/430 chipset as far a I remember with AMD processor) and I'd like to integrate the chipset drivers in XP. Could you tell me which driver pack is appropiate?