Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Little did I realise that having an nvRaid setup would cause so many problems :realmad:

I'm trying to create a custom nLite CD built from WinXP Corp SP2. After 2 days of endless burning and file juggling, I googled for "NVRAID NLITE BSOD" and was rather shocked to find how other people also encountered the exact same problems. :no:

Anyway.... my setup:

ASUS A8N-Premium (Bios 1011)

NVIDIA RAID BIOS 4.84

Athlon X2-3800

2GB OCZ PC4000 Memory

2 x 250GB SATA Samsung Spinpoints (Raid0)

I tried to follow as much as I can from this thread, and I'm hitting the brink of giving up and dumb-founding my PC as non-nLite CD compatible.

I've tried integrating separately SATARAID and LEGACY folders from versions 5.10, 6.53, 6.85 and Vista Beta2 nForce4 drivers into nLite 1.0 (Final) (one folder of drivers per CD burn) and I keep hitting the same bsod wall over and over again on the 2nd reboot after installation completes.

What really confuses me tho, is what the heck you do with the SATARAID and LEGACY folders? The first post was really confusing. Could someone offer a complete n00bs step-by-step guide? (e.g. Copy X to X folder, rename X in X folder, integrate ???.INF as text-mode from X folder etc.)

I've been tearing my hair out for 4 days over this problem, including an all-nighter, and I'm going nuts :angry::realmad:

Edited by _Vince

I am right there with you Vince. I have the same mobo and the same problems. The good news? From all I've read (and I did have this up and running before) the nVidia raid blows away the Sil3114 also onboard.

Edited by redfive19

To try and simplify things I've removed all but my 2 300GB PATA disks. I've got them in a bootable mirroring array. All other hard disks are disconected.

I've created an nlite install disk with the legacy, bus and ethernet drivers from nvidia along with the other drivers for my system (graphics, audio, mouse). In remove components I've set it to remove all drivers. The disk is set up for a full automated install (I've attached the ini file).

The text mode and GUI mode install seem to work fine and the system reboots automatically. I would be expecting it to boot in to windows and start the media centre customisations at this point however it simple goes to the dreaded BSOD with stop code 7b.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd give up on this and go back to non-raid but I really want to have all my important personal files on redundant storage and DVD is just too much of a pain to keep up to date.

Driver_Replacement.ini

So don't even TOUCH the SATARAID folder?
The LEGACY subfolder (if available) is the better solution for users with a SataRaid system, because it contains all needed files.

If you don't succeed with the LEGACY folder integration, you either have done something wrong or you have a hardware issue.

Does that mean I can't use your guide to get my PATA raid working?
No, you can. The LEGACY subfolder is usable for SataRaid and PataRaid systems.
What really confuses me tho, is what the heck you do with the SATARAID and LEGACY folders? The first post was really confusing. Could someone offer a complete n00bs step-by-step guide? (e.g. Copy X to X folder, rename X in X folder, integrate ???.INF as text-mode from X folder etc.)
Exactly the troubles you have described were the reason why I have changed the text of my guide (first post of this thread).

If you think, that the present text is still confusing, remember the following: It is not easy to create a short, easy to understand and exact description of the integration of the nForce SataRaid drivers, because

1. there are many different nForce chipsets and hardware combinations and

2. NVIDIA has done nothing to make it easy for the users with an nForce SataRaid system.

OKay so here is the deal, I have now wasted 8 CD-r's on attemptiong this, and it just won't work for me! I have a DFI nforce4 sli-DR and I am using a pair of raptors in raid0 I am following these directions to a t and well... l,et me be mroe specific

I start with a clean install of windows (singlew drive)

I install a the nvidia 6.85 nforce driversm anbd the newest display drivers.

I install .net 2.0

I install nlite

I take my legti x sp2 RO disc and I copy its entire contents into an empty folder on the desktop

I start nlite and I select that folder I created with my xp in it, and I click next.

I select "integrate drivers" and " make bootable cd" and click next

on the ntegrate drivers folder I click "insert" and then "single driver"

I browse to this folder exactly "C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\6.85\IDE\WinXP\legacy\" and I select the nvatabus.inf file

I ensure that the "textmode driver" is selected and that both of the options below are highlit (both of the nvidia required drivers are being integrated)

I click next and then yes to start the process, it seems to integrate everything and then it says FINISHED! and I click next

I create me bootable disc image, and I give it the volume name of XPPROSP2 (like my disc)

I open alcohol 120% and I brun the image to a new CD-r at 4x (to be sure)

I restart and let my computer boot from the floppy, with EVERYTHING unplugged, outside of the case I have the monitor, power, PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse plugged in, and inside I have the cpu, ram, video card, two raptors in raid, and DVD burner plugged in, THATS IT!

I have my raid built perfectly fine, I have used it on this board before (before I lost the floppy I used and started this whole mess

So windows setup starts and detects my arrey, I make a partition on it, and format it, it installs the files, restarts into the next stage of setup and I enter all my information, it restarts again and this time displays the windows boot screen for about a half a second, I catch a slight glimpse of the BSOD, and it restarts. I've done this a DOZEN TIMES and tried a bunch oif different options, made 7 or 8 discs now, tried everything, different burning options, I even downloaded a pirated copy of XP and tried using the files from that, still produces the exact same problem. I am using the newest version of my bios from the dfi.com.tw site. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG AHHHH! this is SOOO beyond frustrating.

Going on day three I have been working on this.

Thanks in advanced for the help guys.

Oh by the way, I have tried a bunch of different versions for the raid drivers.

ugh I am going to bed.

OKay so here is the deal, I have now wasted 8 CD-r's on attemptiong this, and it just won't work for me! I have a DFI nforce4 sli-DR and I am using a pair of raptors in raid0
Hi,

I already have read about your problem on DFI-Street, where you posted, that you are searching for a driver floppy, that works, and that you don't want to slipstream the nForce SataRaid drivers. Now I can see, that you want to integrate the nForce SataRaid drivers into a bootable XP CD. As you had problems with all drivers and installation methods you tried, I suppose, that you don't have a driver, but a hardware problem.

My first advice is, that you should unplug all hdd's outside your Raptor Raid0 array, before you try to install Windows XP onto your Raid (notice: Within your signature at DFI-Street I saw, that you have additionally 2xMaxtor SATA hdd's).

Then I propose the following:

1. Download the 6.53 chipset driver package (you find the link within the first post of this thread), unzip it and copy the content of the IDE\WinXP folder - except the RAIDTOOL folder - onto an empty floppy disk. Now you will have an nForce SataRaid driver floppy, which works with all nForce4 Raid systems.

2. Take your original XP CD and try to install it by F6 using the floppy drivers you just have created. Take both proposed devices (RAID and SATA).

If the installation fails, you have a real hardware problem. Unless you don't solve it, you won't get XP installed onto your Raid system.

If the install succeeds, you have 2 options: You can either update the nForce SataRaid drivers and install the other nForce chipset drivers at once by running the setup of the 6.85 chipset driver package or create a bootable Windows XP CD with integrated 6.85 drivers by following my guide (see the first post oft this thread).

Please report here about the results of your work.

Good luck!

Fernando

Yes when I posted that I didn't want to slipstream anything because I had never gotten it to work right, but it seems that nlite has improved. Yes I do have two other hard drives, and I have taken them out to try this, the problem I am having is that not one time have I had the windows xp setup to read my floppies, no matter what! Here is what I have plugged in when I try the install

externally:

PS2 mouse

PS2 keyboard

one LCD

power

internally

ram

CPU

video card

dvd drive

two hard drives.

there is nothing wrong with my hardware, I have been running these two drives in raid for months now, I just decided to format and without changing one bios or raid controller option I put my xp disc in and started the process. when I turn off raid and my two hard drives show up I can install windows on either of them just fine, in fact I am running it off one of them now. But when I turn raid back on, and I try windows setup it will either

1. not read my floppy

2. install with your meathod but not work on first boot.

OH MY GOD SUCCESS!

It took four days of headaches (spread out, I wasn't sitting here 24/7) but It works!

the trick: I followed fernando's advice and made a floppy with the raid drivers from the 6.53 nvidia set, and somehow that was the only floppy I ever made that worked! and trust me I tried dozens of them. OKay so Richatard is a happy camper.

Maybe someday down the line I will attempt to create a slipstream disc with full unatended install, and that doesn't require a floppy, but for now my system works, and I am happy as hell.

GOODNIGHT!

and fernando... I want to have your babies.

OH MY GOD SUCCESS!

It took four days of headaches (spread out, I wasn't sitting here 24/7) but It works!

the trick: I followed fernando's advice and made a floppy with the raid drivers from the 6.53 nvidia set, and somehow that was the only floppy I ever made that worked! and trust me I tried dozens of them. OKay so Richatard is a happy camper.

Congratulations, that you got it!

Within DFI-Street forum I saw some more details about the possible reason of your problem:

Possible breakthrough: I just turned swapped connecter ends on the floppy cable, and reversed one side and noticed that windows still seams to work with it, hmm maybe windows worked both ways but windows setup needs the floppy to be setup perfectly!
So at least it probably was a hardware issue.
GOODNIGHT!

and fernando... I want to have your babies.

I would do everything for you, but I won't do that! (Meat Loaf)

actually it was not a hardware problem. that was an attempt, even after switching the connecter ends, it didn't help, the only thing that worked were those older 6.53 drivers.

thanks!

P.S I feel like I abused this forums considering it has nothing to do with helping me install windows, its for nlite, oh well!

I feel like I abused this forums considering it has nothing to do with helping me install windows, its for nlite, oh well!
No, you didn't abuse this forum and I am happy that I could help!

CU

Fernando

FAILED x 12+...I have tried the drivers on the CD, the 9.16 drivers, MEI driver collection of the 9.34 version, all with the same result. Windows installs but I can not start it!!! So now I have about 12 coasters (until I found out that my burner can read CD-RW as a boot disk or it would be a whole lot more).

So these are my specs and I am at my wits end. I know the RAID array works and the hardware is fine since I have been able to install XP and Vista without RAID and more importantly with RAID0 Fedora Core 5 installs AND RUNS flawlessly!!!

AMD 64 x2 3800+ socket AM2

MSI K9N Platinum with nForce570, RAID 0,1,0+1,5

2 GB DDR2-800, PC2-6400 RAM (4-4-4-12 @ 2.2V)

ATI Radeon x1600 Pro 512MB PCIe

2 x 250GB Western Digital SATA-II HDD in RAID 0

Plextor 750-a DVD-RW/DL/RAM

Please, this is driving me NUTS - it's been a week already and I still haven't gotten XP up and running. Oh there's more too, when I try to install Vista with RAID enabled it doesn't even install. the little gray bar says Windows is loading files then just as it switches over to the little triple activity bar the system hangs. Doesn't matter if it's 32-bit or 64.

FAILED x 12+...I have tried the drivers on the CD, the 9.16 drivers, MEI driver collection of the 9.34 version, all with the same result. Windows installs but I can not start it!!!
What exactly happened after the installation? Did you get reboot loops or BSOD's?

How did you install XP onto your Raid? Did you use an nLited CD or did use the F6/floppy method?

Did you do a LOW FORMATTING of both hdd's before you created the RAID array (to erase all datas from previous non-Raid tests)?

Oh there's more too, when I try to install Vista with RAID enabled it doesn't even install. the little gray bar says Windows is loading files then just as it switches over to the little triple activity bar the system hangs. Doesn't matter if it's 32-bit or 64.
This is a known issue of Vista and not yet solved by NVIDIA/Microsoft. You can't get Vista installed onto an nForce Raid system by booting off the DVD, but you succeed, if you start Setup from a XP partition (for Vista x86) or from a running XPx64 (for Vista x64).

I have written an installation guide for owners of an nForce SataRaid system. Look here:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt66299....d2327f04623825e

I looked on nvidia's web site about configuring the array and there is an option to make it bootable - mine is grayed out and I can't select this. Could this be the cause? How do I make the array bootable if the utility won't let me?
Whithin the "Advanced BIOS Features" of your BIOS you should find the option to change the "Hard Disk Boot Priority". Set your RAID at first position and then try again to set your Raid as bootable. Edited by Fernando 1

I'm failing at this too. I'm using the DFI Lanparty Expert, and the Expert driver package from here:

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/driv...G=A&SITE=NA

The NF4 RAID F6.zip

It allready has the "missing" files in the right directories.

I made sure that both my mobo was set to ACPI (or whatever the hell it is) and that nlite was. It goes all the way through to the GUI mode, but when it finishes it restarts and then I get a stop error. Currently I get IRQ IS LESS THAN EQUAL.

Background: Motherboard works but the floppy connector does not, ergo I can't use disks.

Should I try another version of Nlite or another Raid package?

Specs: 3500+ Clawhammer

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert

Corsair TwinXP platinum (2gb's)

2 WD250gb Caviars

MSI cheapy Video card.