Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Hello Fernando, after a great deal of installing and rebooting,

f6-ing, rebooting etc and finally searching on google I found your thread with all the good info.

I read about 18-25 pages and then finally skipped to the last page so I could post my question...

Can you help me setup the slipstream disc without using Nlite?

I tried to send you a message with my system information and what I have prepaired but I don't know if it went through.

It doesn't show up in my sent box.

The motherboard is an Nforce4 chipset nfk8mc with NVRAID or mediashield? bios 5.5

I have prepaired my raid array "RAID 0"

Used my SATA drive MFG's setup disc to pre-format and partition the RAID ARRAY into several partitions.

I Have set my bios all accordingly, so that the RAID array is set to boot etc..

I have copied all my xp pro sp2 cd contents into xpcd folder on the Root of my C drive

and have created the $oem$\$1\drivers sub tree within the xpcd folder

I have downloaded and unpacked the vista beta2 nforce pack for "legacy" drivers

and have also downloaded several versions of nvidia chipset packs, in hopes of using new whql signed drivers.

I am willing to try both, but I am unable to run the Nlite program on my current windows 9x OS

I have a guide for a boot disc using nero, have nero, cdburner etc..

I need help doing it all manually, if it is possible.

PM me if you have AIM to help me create the necesarry adjustments, folder/file structures etc..

EDIT!~ I went back to google to find more info on making a slipstream disc and found;

this guide http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--S...XP-installation

I am following the instructions there to make the subfolders that will contain the RAID drivers indicated in post1.

First I want to make a slipstream disc using the "LEGACY" drivers, I think I can do that using the info in post1 and

the maximumpc guide.

I also want to make an additional slipstream disc using the signed drivers.

So, I may need help seting up either disc, but most likely I will need help setting up the disc with signed drivers.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kodiggy

Working on the LEGACY vista beta 2 nvpack slipstream disc

I have the following subfolder structure;

c:\xpcd\$OEM$\$1\drivers\legacy\

disk1

idecoi.dll

nvatabus.inf

nvatabus.sys

nvcoi.dll

nvide.nvu

nvraid.inf

nvraid.sys

nvraidco.dll

nvuide.exe

txtsetup.oem

The guide says to copy the .sys file into the c:\xpcd\i386 folder.

Do I copy both nvatabus.sys and nvraid.sys?

Edited by kodiggy

Working on the LEGACY vista beta 2 nvpack slipstream disc

I have the following subfolder structure;

c:\xpcd\$OEM$\$1\drivers\legacy\

disk1

idecoi.dll

nvatabus.inf

nvatabus.sys

nvcoi.dll

nvide.nvu

nvraid.inf

nvraid.sys

nvraidco.dll

nvuide.exe

txtsetup.oem

The guide says to copy the .sys file into the c:\xpcd\i386 folder.

Do I copy both nvatabus.sys and nvraid.sys?

Yes.

Here are the TXTSETUP.SIF modifications you have to do:

[SourceDisksFiles]
nvatabus.sys = 1,,,,,,4,4,1,,,1,4
nvraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_008E = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0085 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00EE = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E3 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E5 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0035 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0036 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_003E = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0053 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055 = "nvatabus"
*_NVRAIDBUS = "nvraid"
GenNvRaidDisk = "nvraid"

[SCSI.Load]
nvatabus = nvatabus.sys,4
nvraid = nvraid.sys,4

[SCSI]
nvatabus = "NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller"
nvraid = "NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER"

Thanks, I also have the txtsetup.oem info from the vista beta nvpack that is slightly different from your txtsetup.sif info; is it of any use?

[edit] ok I have added the info from above into the txtsetup.sif file in the i386 folder, and have copied both .sys files into the i386 folder.

I will let you know how the vista beta nvraid slipstream disc goes etc.

I have also downloaded the tool you mentioned in your message and will try that with the signed drivers.

Edited by kodiggy

I am at a stop with the maximum pc guide regarding the winnt.sif file

do I need to create this for the pnp oem install or is that not needed for the "legacy" type installation?

here's their isntructions for the winnt.sif file

Step 5 – Create a customized setup routine

You’re almost there. In this step, we’ll make a file called WINNT.SIF in the i386 folder of our Windows setup files (C:xpsetupcdi386). This file can be used to create an unattended installation routine—a subject beyond the scope of this how-to—but we’ll simply use it to point Windows to the drivers we’ve slipstreamed. Create WINNT.SIF and enter the following:

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=ProvideDefault

OemPreinstall=Yes

OemSkipEula=Yes

NoWaitAfterTextMode=1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1

WaitForReboot="No"

TargetPath=WINDOWS

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath=

[GuiUnattended]

OEMSkipWelcome = 1

[userData]

ProductKey=

FullName=""

OrgName=""

You’ll need to customize the OemPnPDriversPath line by entering the path to the INF file for your RAID/SATA driver (for instance if your drivers are in C:xpsetupcdi386$OEM$$1driversRAID use: OemPnPDriversPath=driversRAIDFastTrackWinXP).

Thanks, I also have the txtsetup.oem info from the vista beta nvpack that is slightly different from your txtsetup.sif info; is it of any use?
I don't know, but you should keep in mind, that the Vista nForce chipset driver packages are designed for Vista and not for Windows XP.

With the TXTSETUP.SIF entries I quoted above I managed it to slipstream the nForce SataRaid drivers into a bootable XP CD.

This is the way I did it:

1. Create a folder within your XP source directory like $OEM$\$1\Drivers\nVRAID (notice: you can name it "legacy" if you want)

2. Create a WINNT.SIF file by using the DEPLOY.CAB tool (within the Suppot\Tools folder of the XP CD) and add the driver path:

OemPnPDriversPath = "Drivers\nVRAID" (in your case you should name it "drivers\legacy")

3. Open the TXTSETUP.SIF file (it's within the i386 folder of your source directory) and add the entries I quoted above.

4. Copy all SYS files of the nForce SataRaid driver folder (in your case the LEGACY one) into the i386 folder of the XP source.

5. Make the ISO file with a tool like Isobuster or UltraIso and burn your bootable CD

That's all.

I am at a stop with the maximum pc guide regarding the winnt.sif file

do I need to create this for the pnp oem install or is that not needed for the "legacy" type installation?

Yes, if you don't find a WINNT.SIF file within your i386 directory, you have to create it. Otherwise XP Setup will not find the nForce SataRaid drivers path. Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks, I will use the current legacy path I have now for the winnt.sif file

I'm not sure what tool to use in the support folder, I don't have deply.cab

here's whats in there;

cvtarea.exe

deploy.chm

factory.exe

oformat.com

readme.txt

ref.chm

setupcl.exe

setupmgr.exe

sysprep.exe

wfinf_guide.doc

I tried ISO builder 3 but it fails on my current 9x os because it needs windows xp/2000

Edited by kodiggy

I'm not sure what tool to use in the support folder, I don't have deply.cab

here's whats in there;

cvtarea.exe

deploy.chm

factory.exe

oformat.com

readme.txt

ref.chm

setupcl.exe

setupmgr.exe

sysprep.exe

wfinf_guide.doc

Are you sure to have looked into the SUPPORT\TOOLS folder of the original Windows XP CD?

There must be a file named DEPLOY.CAB.

yes, I ment to type I don't know what tool to use in the deploy.cab, I open it up and those are the contents, I don't have any idea which one to use. sorry, I was in a hurry while editing and left out a bunch of my qeustioin. [edit] also, I have tried some of the .exe's in the support folder and they fail to run or install because I'm not running xp, can I create a winnt.sif file using notepad? save the file as winnt.txt then rename it to .sif?

Edited by kodiggy

yes, I ment to type I don't know what tool to use in the deploy.cab, I open it up and those are the contents, I don't have any idea which one to use.
Ah, you had already opened the DEPLOY.CAB file.

Run the SETUPMGR.EXE file.

Look here for further details: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314472/en-us

I tried, but it doesn't run in windows 9x :( says it needs windows nt with sp4 and some version if IE

Edited by kodiggy

I've been reading a bunch of other guides that talk about the sif file's and it looks like using notepad to mess with the txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif answer file is likely to cause problems that won't show themselfs till after running the install disc and since I don't have VMware or any other auditing tools I don't want to wind up with a stack of coasters. I'll try making the discs using the legacy install I've been working on but I'm going to use the Nlite tool on my brothers computer as soon as I can to make discs according to the guide in post 1. I appreciate your time and effort in helping me with the legacy disc preperation, I will check back here later for help if I run into anymore problems; Thanks for everything.

Ah, you had already opened the DEPLOY.CAB file.

Run the SETUPMGR.EXE file.

Look here for further details: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314472/en-us

I tried, but it doesn't run in windows 9x :( says it needs windows nt with sp4 and some version if IE
I didn't know that.

If you really want to create a WINNT.SIF file, you can do it manually by using notepad.

Just edit the following:

[Unattended]
OemPnPDriversPath = "drivers\legacy"

Then rename the file to WINNT.SIF and copy it into the i386 folder of your XP source directory.

I've been reading a bunch of other guides that talk about the sif file's and it looks like using notepad to mess with the txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif answer file is likely to cause problems that won't show themselfs till after running the install disc and since I don't have VMware or any other auditing tools I don't want to wind up with a stack of coasters. I'll try making the discs using the legacy install I've been working on but I'm going to use the Nlite tool on my brothers computer as soon as I can to make discs according to the guide in post 1.
That is why I suggested to use a driver slipstreaming tool like nLite (needs an installed Microsoft .NET Framework) or XP Isobuilder (doesn't need .NET Framework). It is really a hard work for a newbee to manually create a bootable CD with integrated nForce SataRaid drivers. Even a small error while editing the SIF files will destroy your work at least.
I appreciate your time and effort in helping me with the legacy disc preperation, I will check back here later for help if I run into anymore problems; Thanks for everything.
You are welcome.

OK, so I tried the Vista beta nvraid pack this morning and got the following from the xp txt setup mode, "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer." I got this once the first time I tried to install xp, when I didn't use any NVraid floppy. I still don't have access to my brothers computer to do the Nlite setup disc, but apparently my install disc is working correctly, other than it didn't apear to load the vista pack drivers, or they are incompatible with my FAT 32 partitions?

Can you help with the txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif files for the whql certified drivers?

Can you help with the txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif files for the whql certified drivers?
The last time I have manually edited these SIF files was in July 2005 and I didn't backup them. The actual TXTSETUP.SIF and WINNT.SIF files of my nLited XP CD wouldn't help you at all, because

a ) they contain a lot of other informations which are not useful for you and

b ) the WHQL driver integration method needs some other modifications done by nLite.

Here is an easier way for you to succeed without using nLite:

1. Download the nForce chipset driver package v.6.53 from here and unzip it with a tool like WinRar.

2. Copy the content of the IDE\WinXP folder except the RAIDTOOL subfolder onto an empty floppy disk.

3. Boot from your original XP CD and press F6 when you are prompted to load SCSI drivers.

4. Load the drivers from your prepared floppy disk. You have to load both Controller drivers declared as "required".

After having loaded both drivers, the XP setup should detect your RAID partitions.

You won't get an endless reboot at the end of the installation.

Once you have completed the XP installation, you can install all needed nForce chipset drivers by running the SETUP.EXE of the actual nForce chipset driver package suitable for your nForce chipset (probably the version 6.86). After a reboot the already installed old nForce SataRaid drivers v.5.18 will be updated to the actual version 6.66.

Alternatively you can try a tool named RAID Slipstreamer. I didn't test it myself, but according to this post it should work with nForce SataRaid drivers.

Edited by Fernando 1