Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Well, I did that but came up with a blue screen error during installation of windows called Bad_Pool_Header 0X00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE108C000,0XE108C070,0X0CE0400)

I tried rebooting and installing windows again, but only came up with a blinking cursor..... thoughts???

I will be using nlite to integrate SP2 into XP home oem (no service packs) along with NVraid drivers. The RAID array will be 2 SATA drives. I am having the usual constant restart problems after installing NVRaid driver using the F6/Floppy disk method. I'm not sure what NVRaid driver version I am used....it is the version that comes with nForce version 5.11

1 - My board is an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025). nForce3 ultra chipset. I have upgraded to the latest board bios available (version 1.D) however, the NVRaid bios that comes with the board bios is version 4.81. Anyway to update to raid bios only?

2 - If I'm not able to update the raid bios, I should follow the steps to use the unofficial 6.95 drivers correct.

3 - If updating the raid bios is possible, would you recommend upgrading this and using the newest drivers over staying with 4.81 and the legacy drivers?

Lastly 4 - In your experience with using nlite, have u ever removed Windows Messenger? If so, any problems afterward?

1. It is possible to flash a higher Raid BIOS version into your mainboard BIOS, but the new nV Raid BIOS version would not work for you, because nVRaid BIOS versions higher than 4.81 do not support nForce3 Raid Controllers.

2. Yes, take the unofficial nForce IDE drivers v. 6.95. There are working fine with nForce3 chipsets.

3. No (see point 1).

Well, I did that but came up with a blue screen error during installation of windows called Bad_Pool_Header 0X00000019 (0x00000020, 0xE108C000,0XE108C070,0X0CE0400)

I tried rebooting and installing windows again, but only came up with a blinking cursor..... thoughts???

You should give me some more details about your hardware configuration, the OS you want to install, the OS source you were using and the drivers (sort and version) you have integrated by using nLite.

Wow. All went perfectly. My raid array is as it was before. nLite rules. Fernando rules. Thanks very much.
Thanks for your feedback!

This may encourage other users with an nForce3 SataRaid system to integrate the nForce IDE drivers v.6.95 instead of the old official ones v.4.46.

This thread seems to be the answer to my prayers. This is what happened last night when I built up my new system:

I got one of these boards last night:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...rodid=MB-124-AB

as part of a new system. I have a problem trying to get RAID setup.

Built everything up, everything seems to work fine, POSTS no problem and detects all my peripherals.

So I decided to try and setup RAID on my two 250GB Barracudas and something went wrong...

I enabled RAID on SATA 1 and 2 in the BIOS, then rebooted, went into the RAID config BIOS and selected to use striping and created an array. Everything seemed fine, raid health is sound. Booted of an XP Pro CD and began setup, had a floppy disc in with the nvRAID drivers from the Abit homepage ready for when Windows asked for it.

So Windows setup starts, it said that I was required to install the RAID drivers (there were two options nvRAID and something else like mass storage

drivers, it said they were both required). Formatted the disk as it appeared correctly as one logical drive, then windows began copying files and installing. After what looked like a succesful installation my machine reboot, showed the Loading Windows XP screen, then quickly flashed with a blue screen and reboot again. And again, and again, and again.

I cant see what the screen says because it flashes on and off so fast, the only thing i could make out was something like "problem with hard drive" even though both drives are there and correctly setup for raid.

Now I have no idea whats wrong. I also got a strange 'nee naw nee naw' siren sound sometimes when restarting. I do need to update to latest BIOS which I will do tonight but does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Everything seems to be correctly installed.

This is basically my issue as well..minus the siren part. Went through the usual install procedures with a floppy disk and got BSOD/reboots. I followed the guide in the beginning and made a CD with the drivers from the sataraid subfolder (using 8.43 WHQL driver pack from Nvidia). Went and tried to install again, didnt use F6 and it detected the raid array fine and it went through the installation fine..but to my dismay i got to the same point and BSOD/reboot. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs: asus p5n32-e sli plus, e6750, 2gb ram, 2x 75gb raptors, 8800 gtx

P.S. My bios has been flashed with the most recent via Asus's website.

This is basically my issue as well..minus the siren part. Went through the usual install procedures with a floppy disk and got BSOD/reboots. I followed the guide in the beginning and made a CD with the drivers from the sataraid subfolder (using 8.43 WHQL driver pack from Nvidia). Went and tried to install again, didnt use F6 and it detected the raid array fine and it went through the installation fine..but to my dismay i got to the same point and BSOD/reboot. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs: asus p5n32-e sli plus, e6750, 2gb ram, 2x 75gb raptors, 8800 gtx

P.S. My bios has been flashed with the most recent via Asus's website.

I am sorry, that footwo didn't get any advice and that he didn't report here how he managed to solve his problem.

Now to your issue:

It is not easy to find the reason for your endless reboots.

1. Try to read the error message by hitting F8 during the reboot and choosing the option not to reboot at any system failure.

2. If you have a dual or multi boot system, have a look into the SETUPLOG.TXT (only the last lines are interesting), SETUPERR.LOG and SETUPAPI.LOG files. You find them within the Windows directory of the partition where you tried to install XP. As the SETUPAPI.LOG file is not easy to read, let the editor search for "Serial ATA Controller" and find out, if the "nForceXXX Serial ATA Controller" has been installed (or the wrong "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller").

Interesting enough, after i posted i again created a winxp cd but this time with the older 8.26 drivers, and this time i was able to complete the install problem free!

One thing though is that i tried to follow your guide about installing MediaShield by copying the files from the raidtool cab file into windows/system32 but it didnt work. about 1/2 way through the copying process i would get an error saying that one of the files is in use so it couldnt complete. Any suggestions?

Interesting enough, after i posted i again created a winxp cd but this time with the older 8.26 drivers, and this time i was able to complete the install problem free!
Fine, that you succeeded at least.
One thing though is that i tried to follow your guide about installing MediaShield by copying the files from the raidtool cab file into windows/system32 but it didnt work. about 1/2 way through the copying process i would get an error saying that one of the files is in use so it couldnt complete. Any suggestions?
You obviously mean this Vista and nVRaid installation guide, but this is not valid for Windows XP.

The easiest way to get NVIDIA's Raidtool installed is to run the installer of the associated nForce chipset driver package. As long as I used Windows XP with my nForce4 chipset mainboard I have never used or installed NVIDIA's Raidtool.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I've been reading this guide for 2 days now and am still having a hard time working out what I need to do. I'm hoping someone can help me. 1st my problem:

I currently am using an ide harddrive but it is full of bad sectors, I have a single 80Gb SATA harddrive that I want to replace it with. My PC does not have a floppy drive so I need to go the slipstream method. I just want to use my SATA drive like a normal drive. My motherboard is an ASUS M2N, in the manual it says the chipset is NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP. I have a WindowsXP Home genuine cd, microsoft branded and it has a sticker on the cd sleave stating 'Includes SP1'.

My 1st question, most of the guide is for users with an nForce RAID array, I have no idea if this means me or not :blushing: Can I use my WinXP cd for slipstreaming with the SATA driver?

Sorry for the dumb questions. If someone could help me I would be really grateful!

I currently am using an ide harddrive but it is full of bad sectors, I have a single 80Gb SATA harddrive that I want to replace it with. My PC does not have a floppy drive so I need to go the slipstream method. I just want to use my SATA drive like a normal drive. My motherboard is an ASUS M2N, in the manual it says the chipset is NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP. I have a WindowsXP Home genuine cd, microsoft branded and it has a sticker on the cd sleave stating 'Includes SP1'.

My 1st question, most of the guide is for users with an nForce RAID array, I have no idea if this means me or not

You are right: The guide was mainly written for users with an nForce RAID array. As you don't have and don't want to create a RAID, only the Annex II part of my guide is useful for you.
Can I use my WinXP cd for slipstreaming with the SATA driver?
Probably yes, but you should remember, that the nForce SATA_IDE folder cannot be used as textmode driver (no TXTSETUP.OEM inside).

When the Windows XP Setup detects your S-ATA hdd at the beginning of the installation, everything is fine, but if your mainboard BIOS doesn't allow to set the nForce S-ATA ports to the "IDE" mode, I recommend to integrate the SATARAID driver folder as textmode driver (although you don't have a real RAID array).

I know it's not part of this topic (32-bit), but I am looking for the best LEGACY driver for xp64 and I am a bit confused about what's the best package I should use. Under xp32 I use legacy 6.95 driver, but I cannot find anything like that for xp64. I should just use the latest unified remix for xp64 and extract it's legacy folder for integration?

I know it's not part of this topic (32-bit), but I am looking for the best LEGACY driver for xp64 and I am a bit confused about what's the best package I should use. Under xp32 I use legacy 6.95 driver, but I cannot find anything like that for xp64.
Exactly this was the reason why I wrote this special guide for the nForce RAID driver integration into Windows XP x64 and Windows Server 2003 x64. There you will find usable 64bit drivers too.

If you have any further questions regarding nForce RAID and XP x64, please post into the linked 64bit thread.

I should just use the latest unified remix for xp64 and extract it's legacy folder for integration?
They should work too, but you won't get WHQL signed nForce IDE drivers installed this way.

First of all, this guide has gotten me way further than all the other guides.

I am using an MSI P6N SLI Platium (680i Chipset, Nforce).

I have an SP2 XP disc, and I used Nlite to integrate the SATA Raid and IDE Raid drivers (Sata raid as text only and IDE raid as PnP).

The XP install sees the raid array correctly, but once everything is installed and it tries to boot fully for the first time, it just blue screens.

Any suggestions? I'd also like to point out that my raid BIOS says mediashield, and the version is 6+.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by vpshockwave

I am using an MSI P6N SLI Platium (680i Chipset, Nforce).

I have an SP2 XP disc, and I used Nlite to integrate the SATA Raid and IDE Raid drivers (Sata raid as text only and IDE raid as PnP).

The XP install sees the raid array correctly, but once everything is installed and it tries to boot fully for the first time, it just blue screens.

Any suggestions?

Yes, try it again by just integrating the SATARAID driver folder as textmode driver (without integrating the SATA_IDE driver folder). Some new mainboards with nForce 5xx or nForce 6xx chipset don't like the SATARAID/SATA_IDE mix.

Please reply if this fixed your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbup

After replacing mobo, hard drives, memory, video card, and power supply, trying to get the nvidia raid to work. I ran across this solution.

IT WORKS GREAT!!! GOOD JOB TO FERNANDO 1....

I'm an advocate gamer and started building this system last year or more, just for gaming. Skill level limited didn't need more than this for now. Plus I'm all about looks...

System

Black/Silver NZXT Case

Black Thermaltake TR2-430 Power Supply

A8N SLI Mobo

AMD 3500+

1G (2@512) Crucial Ballistix Tracer /lights

Nvidia XFX GeForce 7600 GT Fatal1ty (no fan)

3 WD 160G SATA

1 DVD SATA

Not for power but dam, it looks good!!!

Edited by Boss_ACI