Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

This instructinon worked like a charm!

It took me almost 2 days of banging with my head into the wall because system has instantly restart after installation.

I really appreciate advices like this is ! Thank you Fernando 1 !!! :thumbup

I tried making an nLite image with the SATARAID drivers from nForce 9.53 for the 680i chipset. I used nLite 1.4 final and Xable's XP post SP2 lite update pack (XUpdatePack_v3.0.3.7z).

The image was then burned at 16x to a CD-R and booted. During install, I didn't hit F6 and just let setup run.

It gave me an error:

File nvraid.sys caused an unexpected error (32768) at

line 3540 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

Press any key to continue

System is:

Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-E SLI (bios revision 1205)

Chipset: Nvidia nForce 680i SLI SPP Rev. A2

Sothbridge: Nvidia nForce 680i SLI MCP

LPCIO: ITE IT8718

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Conroe)

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Interrogative :blink:

I tried making an nLite image with the SATARAID drivers from nForce 9.53 for the 680i chipset. I used nLite 1.4 final and Xable's XP post SP2 lite update pack (XUpdatePack_v3.0.3.7z).

The image was then burned at 16x to a CD-R and booted. During install, I didn't hit F6 and just let setup run.

It gave me an error:

File nvraid.sys caused an unexpected error (32768) at

line 3540 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c.

I have never seen or heard about such error message.

To exclude an issue of the brandnew nLite version, I recommend to retry it with the previous version 1.4 RC2 (if you have access to that version).

Furthermore I need some additional informations:

1. Do you have an nForce RAID array?

2. If yes,

a ) are you going to install Windows XP onto the RAID array?

b ) do you have any hdd outside the RAID?

3. Did you only integrate the SATARAID subfolder or did you try to additionally load the SATA_IDE drivers (as PnP)?

I have three HDDs on this system. Two of them are in RAID 0, but that RAID aray is not set as the OS-resident drive (nor do I intend it to be... it's whre I install my program files and archive my other files.) The OS-resident drive is on the same SATA conteroller as the RAID array, but the OS-resident drive is excluded form the RAID controller portion of that SATA controller. (that's all done in the BIOS, by the way).

So...

1) yes.

2a) no.

2b) yes.

I only used the SATARAID subfolder and not the SATA IDE drivers.

I have three HDDs on this system. Two of them are in RAID 0, but that RAID aray is not set as the OS-resident drive (nor do I intend it to be... it's whre I install my program files and archive my other files.) The OS-resident drive is on the same SATA conteroller as the RAID array, but the OS-resident drive is excluded form the RAID controller portion of that SATA controller. (that's all done in the BIOS, by the way).

So...

1) yes.

2a) no.

2b) yes.

I only used the SATARAID subfolder and not the SATA IDE drivers.

Ok. That means, that you would not need to load any textmode driver while installing Windows XP. Windows Setup is not able to use the nForce RAID driver, because it does not detect the RAID at this stage of the installation.

You can do the following:

1. Create a new nLited CD with integrated nForce S-ATA driver by just enabling the "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller" within the textmode driver popup window.

2. After having finished the XP installation you can run the installer of your used nForce chipset driver package and choose the "MediaShield" driver installation.

No, that doesn't work either.

If I just load the "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller" and not the RAID controller, I get

The file nvatabus.sys is corrupted

I get these error mesages during the initial loading of drivers (the phase right before Windows would ask you to insert your F6 disks if you had pressed F6 right when Windows Setup had stared).

:(:no:

No, that doesn't work either.

If I just load the "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller" and not the RAID controller, I get

The file nvatabus.sys is corrupted

I get these error mesages during the initial loading of drivers (the phase right before Windows would ask you to insert your F6 disks if you had pressed F6 right when Windows Setup had stared).

Are you sure, that you used the correct driver for Windows XP?

If yes, I recommend to do the following:

1. Download the nForce driver package again (to prevent, that the driver really was corrupted).

2. Integrate the SATA_IDE subfolder (instead of the SATARAID one) of the chipset driver package as PnP driver.

Please report here, if you succeeded this way.

Fernando - im sorry for this very long post but I've gotten quite peeved at the problem i have and was wondering if you could help me..ive given as much info as possible here.

I bought the following pc from mesh.

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?...&KEY=224893

GTS QUAD PRo

the mobo is an nForce650sli

The problem?

Basicaly, I had heard of a performance boost in fps for games under xp over vista. i'm personally not convinced that DX10 or vista are doing anything special at all, especially when people came out with the dx9->10 performance hacks for the crysis demo.

So, decided to install XP Pro (with SP2), initially as a dual boot. Couldnt for the life of me figure out how to make the xp installer recognise the partition i had made for it, so threw caution to the wind and formatted the drive todo a clean install (ie. over vista...obviously after collecting important files).

Right, so vista gone, XP installer copied its files over, then system restarted (at the point which its meanta restart into the GUI portion of the installation) - but i got an error message "disk read error".

Tried the install a few more times, same error message comes up. i read around and heard somewhere that vista changes the MBR or something like that, so i went into repair mode in the XP install and typed in "fixMBR". Afte restarting the pc, the error message that came up was "invalid partition table".

Right so fiddled about with more installs, this time streaming in nForce SATARAID drivers with the Xp install disk (as per the instructions). Now this time, after i've gone through the first run and it goes to restart, instead of an error message the screen is black, and the PC restarts itself. If i leave it on unattended it will do this in an infinite loop.

I used nLite 1.4 to stream in drivers onto my copy of XPpro - specific drivers were the 8.43_nforce_650i_winxp32 drivers, in the SATARAID folder. You mentioned in the tutorial not to d the IDE bit, ie. its unecessary?

I've gone through around 5/6 disks trying to get the streaming right and no dice...i'm not sure what to do, it really shouldn't be this complicated should it?

Thankyou very much for your time

Right so fiddled about with more installs, this time streaming in nForce SATARAID drivers with the Xp install disk (as per the instructions). Now this time, after i've gone through the first run and it goes to restart, instead of an error message the screen is black, and the PC restarts itself. If i leave it on unattended it will do this in an infinite loop.

I used nLite 1.4 to stream in drivers onto my copy of XPpro - specific drivers were the 8.43_nforce_650i_winxp32 drivers, in the SATARAID folder. You mentioned in the tutorial not to d the IDE bit, ie. its unecessary?

Do you have created any nForce RAID array?

nForce raid array? Um no...how do i do that? Could that be the problem?

If you don't have any nForce RAID array, there will be no need to integrate the SATARAID driver folder, because Windows XP Setup will detect your S-ATA hdd(s) automaticly.

What you can do is to integrate the SATA_IDE folder of your used nForce chipset package, but this is a PnP and not a textmode driver.

Actually i found in my bios an option to enable RAID (its disabled atm) - am i meanta mess around with that?
No, this would make no sense for you (unless you have more than 1 hdd).

The important task for you is to get a working OS installed. If you would create a RAID, things would get even more complicated than now without RAID.

Hey - just did a slipstream adding only the SATA IDE folder (using single driver insert in nlite) - and went through xp install - now at point where it should load gui, it comes up with error message saying

"This is not a bootable disk. Please inset a bootable floppy and press any key to try again"

Argh...it refuses to cooperate! What could i try next?

So sorry for taking up your time fernando...

Also - i may be an id*** for omitting this info - but my pc actually has 2 seperate HDD - one is 250mb, the other 500mb - both SATA - and since i tried messing around all these installs it seems like there are loadsa partitions which show up in the XP install "which HD to install on" window