Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

* * * * * 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
1989 replies to this topic

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
@ Treeant34:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

The problems you got were caused by loading the wrong driver folder. Windows 2000 Setup (as Windows XP) needs the nForce SATA information file (NVATABUS.INF or NVATA.INF) to get the nForce SataRAID drivers properly installed. That is why you will never succeed by just loading or integrating the SATARAID driver folder.

I accidentally came across your XP thread and I had no idea that this NVIDIA RAID driver thing was a global issue...
I'm wondering if the slipstreaming method will work with Win 2000 Pro SP4?

Yes, this method will work with Windows 2000 SP4 too.
The W2k IDE drivers of the nForce chipset driver set 6.86 are a good choice for your nForce4 RAID system, if you want to get Windows 2000 installed.
When you are going to prepare the W2k boot-CD with integrated nForce SATA and RAID drivers, you have at least 2 options:
  • integration of the IDE\Win2K\LEGACY folder content as textmode driver
    or
  • integration of the IDE\Win2K\SATARAID folder content as TEXTMODE driver and additionally the IDE\Win2K\SATA_IDE folder content as PnP driver.
Whatever option you choose, you will not recognize any difference regarding the stability and the performance of your RAID system.
The advantage of the second option is, that the nForce SATA and RAID drivers of your W2K installation will be digitally signed by Microsoft (WHQL certified).

Good luck!
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 25 March 2010 - 03:03 AM.

My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Treeant34

Treeant34
  • 4 posts

@ Treeant34:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

The problems you got were caused by loading the wrong driver folder. Windows 2000 Setup (as Windows XP) needs the nForce SATA information file (NVATABUS.INF or NVATA.INF) to get the nForce SataRAID drivers properly installed. That is why you will never succeed by just loading or integrating the SATARAID driver folder.

I accidentally came across your XP thread and I had no idea that this NVIDIA RAID driver thing was a global issue...
I'm wondering if the slipstreaming method will work with Win 2000 Pro SP4?

Yes, this method will work with Windows 2000 SP4 too.
The W2k IDE drivers of the nForce chipset driver set 6.86 are a good choice for your nForce4 RAID system, if you want to get Windows 2000 installed.
When you are going to prepare the W2k boot-CD with integrated nForce SATA and RAID drivers, you have at least 2 options:
  • integration of the IDE\Win2K\LEGACY folder content as textmode driver
    or
  • integration of the IDE\Win2K\SATARAID folder content as TEXTMODE driver and additionally the IDE\Win2K\SATA_IDE folder content as PnP driver.
Whatever option you choose, you will not recognize any difference regarding the stability and the performance of your RAID system.
The advantage of the second option is, that the nForce SATA and RAID drivers of your W2K installation will be digitally signed by Microsoft (WHQL certified).

Good luck!
Fernando

Morning Fernando:

I used the v6.86 to make the nLite ISO...

I integrated the textmode drivers and the entire SATA_IDE folder as a PnP driver and the ISO creation went well...

I will give it a go when I get home tonight...

If all goes well and the OS is finally loaded onto the RAID 0 array, should I then execute the setup on the v6.86 driver package and load everything (the audio, ethernet, RAID and IDE drivers)?

Will overwriting the RAID and SATA_IDE drivers become an issue if I do this?

I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be an issue...

Hope this works

Cheers

Tree

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

If all goes well and the OS is finally loaded onto the RAID 0 array, should I then execute the setup on the v6.86 driver package and load everything (the audio, ethernet, RAID and IDE drivers)?

Yes, you should do that.

No, nothing will happen with the already installed nForce SATA and RAID drivers, because they are the same.
You should nevertheless check the MediaShield (IDE/Storage Driver) option to get the RAIDTOOL installed, if you want to have access to the MediaShield Console from within the OS.

Good luck!
Fernando
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

Treeant34

Treeant34
  • 4 posts

Yes, you should do that.

No, nothing will happen with the already installed nForce SATA and RAID drivers, because they are the same.
You should nevertheless check the MediaShield (IDE/Storage Driver) option to get the RAIDTOOL installed, if you want to have access to the MediaShield Console from within the OS.

Good luck!
Fernando

Howdy:

The slipstreaming worked like a charm, the array works well...

I did notice a couple of things:

1) Both of the HDD's are shown in the USB "safe to unplug" dialog on the notification tray (IE you could apparently "stop" either or both of the HDD's)
2) The striped array is showing in computer management as a basic disk (should I upgrade the array to a dynamic disk?)

Have you had any success cloning a RAID 0 array (could you recommend software that will allow me to image the array)?

Thanks for your time Fernando

Tree

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

Fine, that you succeeded at least.

1) Both of the HDD's are shown in the USB "safe to unplug" dialog on the notification tray (IE you could apparently "stop" either or both of the HDD's)
2) The striped array is showing in computer management as a basic disk (should I upgrade the array to a dynamic disk?)

1. You should never try to unplug any of the RAIDed hdd's unless the power of the system is completely off.
2. My recommendation: Let the RAID array be a "basic disk".

Have you had any success cloning a RAID 0 array (could you recommend software that will allow me to image the array)?

Since I am working with different RAID arrays I have always used Acronis TrueImage.

All the best to you!
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

Treeant34

Treeant34
  • 4 posts

Fine, that you succeeded at least.

1. You should never try to unplug any of the RAIDed hdd's unless the power of the system is completely off.
2. My recommendation: Let the RAID array be a "basic disk".

Since I am working with different RAID arrays I have always used Acronis TrueImage.

All the best to you!
Fernando

Hi Fernando:

Could you tell me why both of the physical disks in the RAID 0 array appear in the "safe to unplug" USB dialog box in the notification area?

Is this some kind of glitch in the NVIDIA program?

This is my first go at "software" RAID and this really seems odd and unsafe (if I accidentally unplugged one of the disks by accident while unplugging a USB stick for instance I would have to rebuild the array from scratch)...

I use a Highpoint controller for a RAID 5 array on a different computer (my preference is definitely a seperate controller card for RAID)...

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated...

Tree

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

Could you tell me why both of the physical disks in the RAID 0 array appear in the "safe to unplug" USB dialog box in the notification area?
Is this some kind of glitch in the NVIDIA program?

It may either be a driver or a Windows 2000 SP4 issue.
By the way: Many users reported about the same problem with the generic MS AHCI driver under Windows 7. Their system hdd was shown in the systray as "Safely removable hardware".

if I accidentally unplugged one of the disks by accident while unplugging a USB stick for instance I would have to rebuild the array from scratch

As long as your RAIDed hdd's are within the PC case and not connected via USB, nothing will happen.

I use a Highpoint controller for a RAID 5 array on a different computer (my preference is definitely a seperate controller card for RAID)...

Yes, a separate RAID adapter card would be a better choice than the on-board NVIDIA nForce RAID Controllers, but I personally have never had any severe problem with my NVIDIA nForce4 RAID systems.
My current system:
My old system:

filantrop

filantrop
  • 3 posts
Dear Fernando 1,

Can u please upload again nForce_720a_AHCI.zip file (reg file) that you once created for user gdm12345 (page 79 of this forum)

for MCP78S \ GEForce 8200 chipset

"@ gdm12345:

I have prepared and uploaded a REG file, which might work for you.
(nForce_720a_AHCI.zip)
Download it here and unzip it.
Before you run the REG file, you should do a backup of all your important datas.

After having run the REG file, you should do, what the other authors already have written:
1. Reboot and enter the BIOS.
2. Enable AHCI, save the new BIOS settings and reboot.
3. When you get the "Found new hardware" message, stop the installation procedure, run the installer of the 18.11 driverpack and choose just the "MediaShield"/"Storage Driver" option.

Good luck!
Fernando "

File is no longer available at rapidshare.

Sorry for offtop and thanks in advance!

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
@ filantrop:

I am sorry, but I don't have this nForce_720a_AHCI.zip file anymore.
Nevertheless you may try to run this file:
Attached File  reg file for nForce AHCI systems.rar   444bytes   28 downloads

The procedure is very important:
1. Do a backup of all important data.
2. Copy the file named NVGTS.SYS of the appropriate nForce chipset driver set into the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder of your OS partition.
3. Unzip the downloaded attachment and run the REG file.
4. Reboot and enter the BIOS.
5. Enable AHCI, save the new BIOS settings and reboot.
6. When you get the "Found new hardware" message, stop the installation procedure, run the installer of the appropriate nForce chipset driverpack and choose just the "MediaShield"/"Storage Driver" option.

Good luck!
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 30 March 2010 - 02:02 AM.

My current system:
My old system:

cdob

cdob

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
@filantrop

Edit the "reg file for nForce AHCI systems.reg" file first, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE lines are split to two lines.
Combine these to one line first.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
@ cdob:
Thanks for your heads up and for your quick work-around.

@ filantrop:
Cdob is right. The reg file entries were published by him within page 79 of this thread, but obviously the lines were cut by the CODE box.
Consequence for you: If you have already downloaded the previous version of the file named "reg file for nForce AHCI systems.rar", you have to combine the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE lines before you are going to execute the reg file.

To make it easier for you and possibly other future users, I have corrected this mistake and reuploaded the file.
So if you use the new file, you don't need to edit anything.

Please report here, if you did succeed with the IDE/AHCI switch or not.

Good luck!
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

filantrop

filantrop
  • 3 posts
Dear Fernando, cdob

I did as cdob suggested:

* Edit the "reg file for nForce AHCI systems.reg" file first, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE lines are split to two lines.
Combine these to one line first *

works great with WinXP SP3 pro / ASrock K10N78M Nvidia 8100 motherboard. Success! Thanks a lot for your help

MaxikingWolke22

MaxikingWolke22
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I am having problems with trying to set up a RAID 1 with Windows XP.

I have two harddrives of 1TB each.

If I now go to my computer after the installation, C-drive is 39GB, that is what I wanted it to be. But the rest, approx. 900GB, is not aviable. Drive D is 0 Byte.
However, rightclick, properties, hardware gives me in the list NVIDIA MIRROR 931.51G, so windows somehow does get it.

What can I do to get the D-drive to the ~900GB that it should have?

If I rightclick on it and want to format, it sais 39GB, just as C-drive. (During the installation, I first put up two 40-GB-parts + the rest, then deleted the secound 40-GB-partition to have 40GB for Windows and the whole rest. However, in the list during Windows-Setup, I then had 40GB partitioned, 40GB unpartitioned, ~900GB unpartitioned)

Edited by MaxikingWolke22, 10 April 2010 - 09:37 AM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
@ MaxikingWolke22:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Your problem has nothing to with the NVIDIA nForce SATA and RAID drivers.
Assuming that the BIOS and the Windows XP Setup did recognize the complete RAID array size, you should run the Disk Management of your OS and look for the different partitions resp. volumes.
It is very easy to create new partitions, to format them and to give them a letter (D:, E: etc.) and a name. After having done that, you will see all partitions within "My Computer" and the Windows Explorer.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

chanimal

chanimal
  • 1 posts
Thank you for this posting and it really help!

One thing: I have a 3ware 8006-2LP SATA from 2007. If anyone has this, be sure to use the 3ware SATA driver instead of the SATARAID and Legacy listed.

It's a frustrating process. I had to try it the second time with the same "burn-verified" CD as the first time, the system won't respond to "R" pressing. But keep trying! My 2nd time worked!

Good luck!

Thanks again!

espensh

espensh
  • 1 posts
Hey!
My brother's IDE HDD crashed some days ago, so I decided i would be a nice brother and help him get his old pc back on track.

I found a windows xp home sp1 original-cd, a new sata hdd, integrated the drivers on this guide, 3 times (one for each driver-pack). and all without luck..

The installation stops because it cant find the HDD.

i am quite sure the raid is enabled in the bios. tho there werent so many options in this old bios.

I cannot find out what the problem is, I have also tried with gigabyte's SATA drivers.

the motherboard is this one: http://gigabyte.com/...id=2206&dl=1#ov

please help me :)

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,749 posts
I think I see your issue m8!

Grab these drivers:

http://download.giga...bootdisk_xp.exe

Run the .exe in a folder of its own. (call it SATA of whatever) It will extract the drivers in that folder... Then delete the .exe.

Get your XP disk and update it to SP3!!! (SP2+ adds support for SATA drives, SO I don't think SP1 can even be installed on a SATA drive...)

And then integrate drivers as TXTMODE! [SUPER IMPORTANT STEP!]

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 28 May 2010 - 06:40 AM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
@ espensh:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

This is what I suggest for you:
  • Integrate the Service Pack 3 into your original XP SP1 CD - as Kelsenellenelvian already wrote. There is no need to integrate any driver.
  • Downlad and unzip an nForce chipset driverpack, which is suitable for nForce4 AMD chipset mainboards, for example the one you get >here<.
  • Enter the BIOS of your brother's PC and DISABLE the RAID option.
    Reasons:
    • It doesn't make sense to run 1 single hdd in RAID mode.
    • There is no need to integrate any TEXTMODE driver, if the SATA hdd is running in IDE Mode (RAID disabled).
  • Boot off the XP CD with integrated SP3 and install Windows XP.
  • Once Windows XP is up, run the installer (SETUP.EXE) of the nForce chipset driverpack.
Good luck!
Fernando

@ Kelsenellenelvian:
The nForce RAID driver you have linked will not work at all with nForce4 RAID systems, because the absolutely needed SATA driver INF file (NVATA.INF or NVATABUS.INF) is missing.
The Windows XP Setup will not be able to install the OS onto a "LEGACY Mode" nForce4 RAID system (with the ability to support SataRAID and PataRAID simultaneously), unless there are separate INF files for both SATA and RAID drivers present.

Edited by Fernando 1, 28 May 2010 - 09:18 AM.

My current system:
My old system:

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,749 posts
@ Fernando1 = I was just giving him the drivers for his mobo (As he posted the link to its page)

The Windows XP Setup will not be able to install the OS onto a "LEGACY Mode" nForce4 RAID system (with the ability to support SataRAID and PataRAID simultaneously), unless there are separate INF files for both SATA and RAID drivers present.

This I did not know as I have integrated my SATA drivers for a VERY long time and not run into a need for seperate inf files.

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
:thumbup I thought I'd report a total success with Asus M2N68 Plus mobo and Fernando's 32bit nForce SATA_IDE driver v11.1.0.33 + Driverpack v7.3 (it was not so obvious which MCP is this and which driver to use). :thumbup

GL

scstrato

scstrato
  • 4 posts
Hello. Newbie here. I've been following this posting for several hours now while I work on a friends machine and I simply cannot get past the following error msg:

"The device associated with following device driver will not work correctly on this computer: nvraid.sys.
The device driver is not compatible with the x64-based version of Windows your computer is running"

First, forgive me for my inexperience with RAID setups. I have verified all the steps in your tutorial are correct; RAID enabled in BIOS, array cleared and healthy and unattended win xp 64b boot disc created with the driver from the "64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v9.99.09 mod by Fernando" using nlite.

Some quick details about my issue. The PC was originally running with Vista but the owner has had problems since inception with corrupt arrays. He purchased this copy of Win XP Pro 64 bit and has asked me to load it for him. Obviously it does not have a floppy drive.

So, If I am following your tutorial correctly, I'm guessing I have one of two problems, or both:

1. The Win XP 64b install disk is Service Pack 1. I have downloaded the SP2 installation file but when I try and incorporate that into the unattended installation setup thru nlite I get an error because the machine I am using is a Vista 32bit machine (only 64bit slipstreaming is supported from a 64bit OS). Is there any correlation to my issue here?

-and/or-

2. As I have underlined and bolded above, the error msg specifically indicates the problem is with driver: nvraid.sys. Again, if I am following your tutorial correctly, shouldn't this driver be: nvrd64.sys? If this is the case I am guessing that deleting and clearing the array is not erasing, or allowing an over-write of, the old driver?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated (even if it's some little stupid step I missed).

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
@ scstrato:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I simply cannot get past the following error msg:
"The device associated with following device driver will not work correctly on this computer: nvraid.sys.
The device driver is not compatible with the x64-based version of Windows your computer is running"

The driver named "NVRAID.SYS" is neither a Windows XP x64 in-box driver nor part of the "64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v9.99.09 mod by Fernando". The error message shows, that you have done something wrong (by using an already customized Windows XP x64 version as source, by integrating a wrong driver or by trying to "upgrade" a 32bit OS with a 64it OS).
Furthermore it is not possible to slipstream a 64bit version of a Service Pack into a 64bit Windows OS from within a 32bit environment.
This is what I recommend to do:
  • Verify, that your Windows XP x64 SP1 CD, which you are using as source, is an original (= untouched) one. If you should find a file named WINNT.SIF within the source CD, you can be sure, that it is not an original Windows OS image.
  • If you have verified, that your OS source is clean, run nLite and do nothing more than to integrate the "64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v9.99.09 mod by Fernando" as textmode driver and to create the ISO file with the integrated drivers. Don't integrate the SP2 and don't choose the "Unattended install" option.
  • Boot off the just created CD and choose a fresh installation. Let the XP x64 Setup do a quick format of the partition, where you want to get XP x64 installed.
  • Once XP x64 SP1 is up, you can run the SP2 EXE file.
This way you should be able to get XP x64 SP2 installed onto the computer of your friend.

Good luck!

Regards
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 28 June 2010 - 02:48 AM.

My current system:
My old system:

scstrato

scstrato
  • 4 posts

This is what I recommend to do:

• Verify, that your Windows XP x64 SP1 CD, which you are using as source, is an original (= untouched) one. If you should find a file named WINNT.SIF within the source CD, you can be sure, that it is not an original Windows OS image.
  • If you have verified, that your OS source is clean, run nLite and do nothing more than to integrate the "64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v9.99.09 mod by Fernando" as textmode driver and to create the ISO file with the integrated drivers. Don't integrate the SP2 and don't choose the "Unattended install" option.
  • Boot off the just created CD and choose a fresh installation. Let the XP x64 Setup do a quick format of the partition, where you want to get XP x64 installed.
  • Once XP x64 SP1 is up, you can run the SP2 EXE file.
This way you should be able to get XP x64 SP2 installed onto the computer of your friend.

No such luck my friend. After following these steps I received the exact same error message referencing "nvraid.sys". Obviously this file is the root of my problem, the question is where is this driver coming from? Originally I thought maybe GParted didn't actually format the drives properly but now I'm thinking the Win XP install disk is loading it during install. Is there a way through nlite (or other utility) to disable this driver altogether and force the use of the integrated drivers? Isn't that what nLite is supposed to be doing for me by creating the disk with integrated drivers?

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

After following these steps I received the exact same error message referencing "nvraid.sys". Obviously this file is the root of my problem, the question is where is this driver coming from?

If you have done what I had recommended, there is only 1 explanation: The driver has been integrated into the XP x64 CD, which you had used as source.
Questions:
1. Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 or AMD64 directory of your "original" XP x64 CD? If yes, which is the content of the file (open it with the Editor)?
2. Is there a file named NVRAID.SYS or NVRAID.SY_ within the AMD64 directory of the OS CD?

Edited by Fernando 1, 28 June 2010 - 03:04 PM.

My current system:
My old system:

scstrato

scstrato
  • 4 posts

After following these steps I received the exact same error message referencing "nvraid.sys". Obviously this file is the root of my problem, the question is where is this driver coming from?

If you have done what I had recommended, there is only 1 explanation: The driver has been integrated into the XP x64 CD, which you had used as source.
Questions:
1. Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 or AMD64 directory of your "original" XP x64 CD? If yes, which is the content of the file (open it with the Editor)?
2. Is there a file named NVRAID.SYS or NVRAID.SY_ within the AMD64 directory of the OS CD?

1. Confirmed. No WINNT.SIF file anywhere on the disk. This is a certified Microsoft windows installation disk, not a copy.
2. There is no file named NVRAID, period, on the disk. I even exported the .CAB files and unpacked them using winrar. Nothing.

So, is it obvious that the NVRAID.sys file is still on the hard drive (not loading during installation)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN