Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

* * * * * 4 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1992 replies to this topic

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ manarbre:
Before you continue to use the Repair function of the Windows XP Setup, you may try to swap the data cables of your RAIDed hdd's. Maybe you have interchanged them while using your non-RAID SATA hdd.
After having done that, start the computer and wait, if you are able to boot into the Windows XP partition of your RAID array automaticly.
If this doesn't help, reinsert the data cables of the RAIDed hdd's into their original SATA ports.
Everything should be done with the following BIOS settings:
  • RAID should be enabled.
  • The RAID0 array has to be on the top position of the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings.
Furthermore all other hdd's (except the 2 RAID members) and USB devices should be unplugged.
The RAID0 should be shown as "healthy" and bootable during the booting procedure..

- I do not press F6 because drivers are in the CD, I'm right ?

Yes, you are right.

- I choose "Repair" in the menu,
- and after a short time, I come to black screen like DOS : "Recuperation console from Windows".
A sentence say : "The recuperation console gives system reparation and recuperation functions..." :ph34r:
And the cursor waits for me. But I don't know how it works...
I type "dir", but I see no folder, nothing, and typing "help" give me Help for DOS.
What can I do ?

Just edit "FIXMBR" (without the quotation marks) and hit the "Enter" key.
For further informations you may look >here<.

Good luck!
Fernando
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

manarbre

manarbre

• 12 posts
  • Joined 24-November 10
[quote name='Fernando 1' timestamp='1291139194' post='947567']

BIG PROBLEM !!!
:o

I don't have interchanged the data cables while using my non-RAID SATA hdd.
And I tried this :
RAID is enabled.
The RAID1 (it's a mirror, not a RAID0) is in second position of the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" , and CD first place (CD of n-lite Windows)
All USB are unplugged.
The RAID1 is "healthy" and bootable
Windows installation : I choose "Repair" in the menu,
In the console, I just edit FIXMBR.
Noting happens. A new C:\appear. I reboot.
Good, the Windows boot appears :"windows doesn't start correctly..."
I choose "start normal", the logo comes, loading comes, and... blue screen, and reboot.

Before, I was able to start with SATA as IDE in Bios. Now I can no more.
I can no more use this computer, even in IDE, awfull !
What can I do ? Have you got an idea ? What's wrong with this RAID ??? :(
A chkdsk /f in the console ?
Thanx

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

The RAID1 (it's a mirror, not a RAID0) is in second position of the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" , and CD first place (CD of n-lite Windows)

You have mixed 2 totally different BIOS settings:
  • Order of the bootable devices:
    • First bootable device: CD-ROM
    • Second bootable device: HDD
    • Third bootable device: Floppy etc.
  • HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY (= boot order of the hard disk drives, only important, if you have more than 1 hdd):
    • On top: your RAID1 array

Another tip: Try the command "FIXBOOT" from the "Repair" Console.

Edited by Fernando 1, 30 November 2010 - 04:57 PM.

My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

manarbre

manarbre

• 12 posts
  • Joined 24-November 10
Thanx.
Yes, it was the settings you describe.
HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY = array RAID1
# First bootable device: CD-ROM
# Second bootable device: HDD

I'll try FIXBOOT

manarbre

manarbre

• 12 posts
  • Joined 24-November 10
Sadly, no more evolution after Fixboot c:
It found some problems and fix them.

At reboot, blue screen after windows logo.
Re-install is my only hope ? :wacko:

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,705 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09
Can you capture the error the BSOD gives?

manarbre

manarbre

• 12 posts
  • Joined 24-November 10
no, it's too fast.

I go to bed... good night

Edited by manarbre, 30 November 2010 - 05:58 PM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

Can you capture the error the BSOD gives?

no, it's too fast

You can get the full BSOD message, if you hit F8 and choose the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure" while booting.
My current system:
My old system:

manarbre

manarbre

• 12 posts
  • Joined 24-November 10

Here is the blue Screen.
You think a chkdsk /f could resolve this ?

Another thing, in the console, with MAP i get that :
C: 100 Go
D: NTFS 300 Go
E: NTFS 300 Go

C: is no more specified with NTFS file system...

Attached Files

Edited by manarbre, 01 December 2010 - 04:42 AM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ manarbre:
Since I have found a rather similar report >here<, I recommend to run the CHKDSK command.
Look >here<.
My current system:
My old system:

manarbre

manarbre

• 12 posts
  • Joined 24-November 10
thanx.
I've done chkdsk c: /f and chkdsk c: /p
but always the blue screen.
I'll save the data and reinstall, the problem seems too complex...
Thanx a lot for your advices !
++

dodgyjammer

dodgyjammer
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-December 10
Hi,

Firstly - Fernando - in awe of your technical expertise, this forum is fantastic.
Saying that, I seem to have tried everything and still resulting in the 0x0000007b BSOD error after XP seems to install OK.

I have a Compaq Mini 311c-1101sa with the nVidia Ion LE chipset, trying to install slipstreamed XP (32-bit) from a USB drive (as no CD/DVD on the netbook).
Have tried to slipstream (using latest nLite) all the nForce textmode drivers (for AHCI) mentioned on the first page (v10.3.0.46, v11.1.0.43, and a few others) one at a time, all at once, and they seem to work, as in: the initial setup recognises there is a disk there and can install to it. Setup runs fine until final restart after install then the familiar 0x0000007b error pops up.

BIOS is typical HP crap - zero options for changing device modes IDE/SATA whatever. No additional drives in the machine (just the 160Gb one that comes with it), no overclocking set (can't anyway), RAM is fine (checked with Memtest).

Things I have tried: removing the added 2Gb RAM I put in upon buying (no difference), changing USB sticks (no difference), banging my head against a brick wall (bit of a long shot!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James

manarbre

manarbre

• 12 posts
  • Joined 24-November 10

Hey
I manage to save my RAID1. :w00t:
I decided to reinstall windows, and when windows asked wich disk I wanted to install, he saw that disk c: was already windows.
So he proposed me to repair it. I agree, and after a long long long reparation, he succeeded in repairing the disc.
Some skin and updates seems to be loosed, but all the system is like before, no soft installation, no lost files !!!
So it's good for me.
Thanx you Fernando for your efforts ! :thumbup
++

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
Hello James,
welcome at MSFN Forums!

I have a Compaq Mini 311c-1101sa with the nVidia Ion LE chipset, trying to install slipstreamed XP (32-bit) from a USB drive (as no CD/DVD on the netbook).
Have tried to slipstream (using latest nLite) all the nForce textmode drivers (for AHCI) mentioned on the first page (v10.3.0.46, v11.1.0.43, and a few others) one at a time, all at once, and they seem to work, as in: the initial setup recognises there is a disk there and can install to it. Setup runs fine until final restart after install then the familiar 0x0000007b error pops up.

Before I can give you any advice, I need some more informations:
1. Which nForce IDE driver folder did you integrate?
2. What makes you so sure, that your system needs an AHCI supporting nForce SATA driver?
3. Have you tried to boot off the original XP SP3 image without having integrated any nForce SATA driver? If yes, what happened?
4. Did you use a clean (=untouched) XP image as source? Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 directory?
5. Do you have a BIOS option "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY"? If yes, did you verify, that the SATA hdd has been on top, while you started the XP installation? Maybe the BIOS sees your USB drive as a hdd and has tried to install the OS onto it.

Regards
Fernando

@ manarbre:
Thank you for your feedback and your report about how you were able to solve your problem.
It's fine, that you saved your RAID1 at least without the necessity to do a complete reinstallation of the OS.
To be on the safe side in the future, I recommend to do a complete backup of your OS partition by using a tool like Acronis TrueImage.

Have fun with your repaired nForce RAID1 system!
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

dodgyjammer

dodgyjammer
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-December 10
Hi Fernando, thanks for the quick reply.

1. Which nForce IDE driver folder did you integrate?
2. What makes you so sure, that your system needs an AHCI supporting nForce SATA driver?
3. Have you tried to boot off the original XP SP3 image without having integrated any nForce SATA driver? If yes, what happened?
4. Did you use a clean (=untouched) XP image as source? Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 directory?
5. Do you have a BIOS option "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY"? If yes, did you verify, that the SATA hdd has been on top, while you started the XP installation? Maybe the BIOS sees your USB drive as a hdd and has tried to install the OS onto it.

1. I slipstreamed the 32bit nForce SATA_IDE driver v10.3.0.46 WHQL for XP
2. This is the driver for the nVidia chipset as listed on the HP site (http://h10025.www1.h...ct=4099494#N321)
3. I tried booting off the original XP SP3 image originally but it couldn't find a drive to install too.
4. It is a clean XP image yes, with WINNT.SIF in the i386 directory.
5. The boot priority of the BIOS is set to SATA hdd first, however I always have to bypass this to boot from USB (am using WinToFlash to transfer image to USB)

Additionally, I am sure about it installing to the SATA drive rather than USB as I can get into the recovery console and navigate the C: drive as well as the W: drive (USB).

Cheers,
James

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
Hello James,
thanks for answering my questions.

4. It is a clean XP image yes, with WINNT.SIF in the i386 directory.

Since there is a WINNT.SIF present, it is not an original source delivered by Microsoft.
The WINNT.SIF contains the informations about an unattended XP installation and will never be found within an original MS XP image. Where did you get the XP image from?
Maybe the WINNT.SIF contains the path to other mass storage drivers, which prevent the correct installation of the suitable nForce SATA driver onto your special system.

Regards
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 01 December 2010 - 03:31 PM.

My current system:
My old system:

dodgyjammer

dodgyjammer
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-December 10
Hi Fernando,

That might be it! Had thought it was an original .iso image but clearly it's not, will try and find the original and give the same settings a go.

Cheers,
James

diginode

diginode

• 24 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06
According to fernendo process I add Intel AHCI Intel driver it is working fine slipstream cd. but I also add nforce IDE AHCI latest driver but fails several times burning the disk. HDD not found after coping file in txt mode.I also manually add the txt driver in textsetup.oem and also by nlite but no success. I am using fresh copy Xp pro SP2 disk and XFX geforce 7100/nforce630i mother board. pls hel me to slip the drive.

N.B nvgts.sys file working if i use floppy by f6, but same file not working after slipstream.
DIGINODE..... DiGiTaLy YoU

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

N.B nvgts.sys file working if i use floppy by f6, but same file not working after slipstream.

This should be impossible, if you have done what I have written within my guide.
I suspect, that you didn't use an untouched XP CD image as source.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

diginode

diginode

• 24 posts
  • Joined 05-September 06

This should be impossible, if you have done what I have written within my guide.
I suspect, that you didn't use an untouched XP CD image as source.

Regards
Fernando

I am using untouched xpsp3 cd. but my dought that that for two senario.
1. f6 content sys file and and catalog file but not set off dll files.
2. pnp set has all of them plus some set of dll files.

which will be more effectively for slipstream.
DIGINODE..... DiGiTaLy YoU

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

my dought that that for two senario.
1. f6 content sys file and and catalog file but not set off dll files.
2. pnp set has all of them plus some set of dll files.
which will be more effectively for slipstream.

I don't really understand, what you mean, but
1. the F6 floppy files and the driver files, which are needed for the integration, are exactly the same (no difference at all), and
2. the AHCI driver files of the SATA_IDE folder have to be integrated as TEXTMODE and not as PnP driver.

Regards
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 11 December 2010 - 04:10 AM.

My current system:
My old system:

slader99

slader99
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 19-December 10
Fernando,

Thanks so much for giving such a detailed post (and following up with peoples questions!)

Using an A8N-E mobo with nForce 4 Ultra chipset. Can't seem to finish install on SATA RAID array. All I have is an SP2 Windows XP CD (perhaps this is my problem).

Flashed the bios to the latest available at the Asus site.
Raid array is built and appears healthy during boot.
Used your 'hasty user short form guide =)' Integrated the SATARAID drivers (>32bit nForce LEGACY drivers v6.99 mod by Fernando (download link)<)
Installation progressed, drives detected in windows setup, almost all the way through the install then BSOD and reboot loop.

I read your more detailed instructions and found that I should also integrate IDE PnPdriver. All the links tho on the page seem to be for 420+ chipsets so I tried the one from (>32bit nForce IDE drivers v9.99.09 mod by Fernando (download link)<). created new nlite boot disc and had the same problem at the same point. I've removed all unnessisary hardware and the only drives connected are the 2 SATA's in the RAID 1 array. CD drive is IDE.

Any help would be most appreciated (I don't have much hair left to pull out).

Cheers,

Colin

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
Hello Colin,

welcome at MSFN Forums!

Since more than 1 million users of my guide cannot be wrong, it should be no problem to get Windows XP SP2 installed onto your nForce4 RAID array, if you follow my advices:
  • The XP source has to be clean (untouched, no WINNT.SIF within the i386 directory).
  • Let nLite do nothing else than the integration of the nForce SATA and RAID drivers and the creation of the bootable Image (ISO file).
  • Integrate the "modded" LEGACY folder v6.99 as TEXTMODE drivers and nothing else (no additional PnP driver).
  • Before you start with the XP installation, make sure, that
  • the RAID array is shown as "healthy" and bootable,
  • the BIOS timing settings are the default ones (no overclocking),
  • there are not more than 3 GB of memory inserted and
  • all hdd's except the RAIDed ones are unplugged and no USB stick is inserted.
Good luck!
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 20 December 2010 - 03:12 AM.

My current system:
My old system:

slader99

slader99
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 19-December 10
Fernando,

Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding your points.

1) XP source is clean (no winnt.sif present)
2) I am using nlte only for driver integration & bootable CD
3) Tried integrating Legacy folder v6.99 as 2 textmode drivers.
a) RAID array shows as healthy and bootable
B) Bios settings are stock (no overclocking)
c) Only have 2Gig RAM installed (verified to be error free with prime95)
d) All HD except the RAID array have been removed.

After the windows setup finishes the 'installing windows' portion and reboots I get a very quick BSOD and then reboot loop. The first attempt followed your instructions using only the 2 textmod drivers from your modifited v6.99. Second attempt was the same I thought the problem could be a bad cd burn. Third attempt included your v9.99 IDE driver as PnP in addition to the 2 textmode 6.99 drivers. Each time the failure occurs at the same point each time (50min into the windows install) when windows does its power cycle.

==> Is it possible something was broken for my specific case in your last release of legacy drivers?
==> Would it be worth while creating the nlite bootable CD with the chipset drivers from the Asus site? rather than your modified package?
==> Assuming I've followed your instructions correctly can you think of anything else that would cause the BSOD loop after the normal windows reboot 50min into the process? perhaps a bios setting?
==> Thanks again for the instuctions you've provided here. Prior to stumbling upon this page I couldn't even get windows to recognize the RAID array during setup.....

Cheers,

Colin

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,023 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
Hello Colin,

thanks for your response, which makes me very unsure about how to help you, because you obviously have done everything the right way.

After the windows setup finishes the 'installing windows' portion and reboots I get a very quick BSOD and then reboot loop.

It would be interesting to see the complete error message. You can get it, if you hit F8 at the last reboot and choose the "Don't reboot at system failure" option.

==> Is it possible something was broken for my specific case in your last release of legacy drivers?

I don't think so, because I didn't change anything with this driver package for a long time.

==> Would it be worth while creating the nlite bootable CD with the chipset drivers from the Asus site? rather than your modified package?

You may try it.
Alternatively you can integrate the WHQL certified nForce SATARAID and SATA_IDE drivers v6.99 (SATARAID as TEXTMODE, SATA_IDE as PnP drver). You will get them from >here<.

==> Assuming I've followed your instructions correctly can you think of anything else that would cause the BSOD loop after the normal windows reboot 50min into the process? perhaps a bios setting?

Until now I have no idea.
Question: Did you ever install any OS successfully onto the RAID? If yes, which OS and how did you manage it?

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system: