Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

* * * * * 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
1989 replies to this topic

slader99

slader99
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 19-December 10
Fernando,

Thanks so much for the help. At work at the moment but can't wait to get back home to try your suggestions.

I will try the F8 (no reboot on system failure). I will create two new nlite discs (one with the asus chipset drivers, one with the WHQL certified nForce SATARAID and SATA_IDE drivers v6.99)

I'll report back with the error details as well as the results with the certified drivers. I haven't sucessfully installed any OS on the RAID array (this windows XP install was my first go). Prior to this I just had XP installed on a single SATA drive.

Cheers,

Colin

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

slader99

slader99
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 19-December 10
Wasn't able to get the error message (pressed F8 repeatadly during boot but couldn't find "no reboot on system failure". ) At what point should F8 be pressed - it would be good to know for the future.... I did two things (different driver package, tried sata positions 3&4 instead of 1&2) so I can't say for certain which worked. Should have done one at a time but its painful running 45min experiments, Sorry Fernando =)

1) Turned off RAID in bios, moved two drives from SATA positions 1&2 to 3&4. Enabled RAID in bios, rebuilt heathly array, selected correct boot device priorities.

2) Downloaded the chipset drivers from the Asus site Downloads>A8N-E>XP> Others. (nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65 for Windows XP(WHQL).) Pointed nlite to the IDE\sataraid folder and added the two drivers as textmode. XP install worked fine with the new CD and stock Asus drivers.

Comp is now up and running! Thanks for your help and a great tutorial.

Cheers,

Colin

Edited by slader99, 21 December 2010 - 10:57 AM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
Hello Colin,

although you have spent a lot of time to get Windows XP installed onto your RAID array, you succeeded at least - congratulations!

Wasn't able to get the error message (pressed F8 repeatadly during boot but couldn't find "no reboot on system failure". ) At what point should F8 be pressed - it would be good to know for the future....

The exact option is named "Disable automatic restart on system failure".
Here is a description I found:

When Windows XP encounters a fatal error, the default setting for handling such an error is to automatically reboot the system. If the error occurs while Windows XP is booting, the operating system will become stuck in a reboot cycle—rebooting over and over instead of starting up normally. In that case, you'll need to disable the option for automatically restarting on system failure.
When Windows XP begins to boot up and you see the message Please select the operating system to start or hear the single beep, press [F8] to display the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Then, select the Disable The Automatic Restart On System Failure item and press [Enter]. Now, Windows XP will hang up when it encounters the error and with any luck, it will display a stop message you can use to diagnose the problem.

I did two things (different driver package, tried sata positions 3&4 instead of 1&2) so I can't say for certain which worked. Should have done one at a time but its painful running 45min experiments,
1) Turned off RAID in bios, moved two drives from SATA positions 1&2 to 3&4. Enabled RAID in bios, rebuilt heathly array, selected correct boot device priorities.
2) Downloaded the chipset drivers from the Asus site Downloads>A8N-E>XP> Others. (nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65 for Windows XP(WHQL).) Pointed nlite to the IDE\sataraid folder and added the two drivers as textmode. XP install worked fine with the new CD and stock Asus drivers.
Comp is now up and running!

Fine, that you got XP running at least, but I would rather like to know the exact reason for your previous problems.
I don't think, that they were caused by the "wrong" driver versions or by a corrupted SATA port.

A very interesting detail of your report is, that you obviously succeeded by having just integrated the drivers of the IDE\SATARAID folder (as TEXTMODE drivers) without additionally integrating the SATA_IDE folder (as PnP driver). This leads me to the conclusion, that your special Asus A8N-E mainboard has lost the capability to support S-ATA RAID and P-ATA RAID arrays simultaneously, which is the standard of nearly all nForce4 RAID systems (so called LEGACY mode RAID system). This might have been the reason why the integration of the LEGACY folder and the integration of the SATARAID + SATA_IDE folder failed with your special nForce4 RAID system.
I am pretty sure, that you would have been able to get XP installed by integrating the nForce SATA and RAID drivers v6.99 and v9.99.09, if you would have integrated just the SATARAID driver folder without adding the SATA_IDE one. If you ever do a driver update, you will only need the SATARAID folder too.

If you should ever try an update of the nForce SATA and RAID drivers, please let me know, if I am right or wrong.

Happy Christmas!
Fernando
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

GrahamH

GrahamH
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 31-January 11

Hi Fernando, thanks for the quick reply.

1. Which nForce IDE driver folder did you integrate?
2. What makes you so sure, that your system needs an AHCI supporting nForce SATA driver?
3. Have you tried to boot off the original XP SP3 image without having integrated any nForce SATA driver? If yes, what happened?
4. Did you use a clean (=untouched) XP image as source? Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 directory?
5. Do you have a BIOS option "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY"? If yes, did you verify, that the SATA hdd has been on top, while you started the XP installation? Maybe the BIOS sees your USB drive as a hdd and has tried to install the OS onto it.

1. I slipstreamed the 32bit nForce SATA_IDE driver v10.3.0.46 WHQL for XP
2. This is the driver for the nVidia chipset as listed on the HP site (http://h10025.www1.h...ct=4099494#N321)
3. I tried booting off the original XP SP3 image originally but it couldn't find a drive to install too.
4. It is a clean XP image yes, with WINNT.SIF in the i386 directory.
5. The boot priority of the BIOS is set to SATA hdd first, however I always have to bypass this to boot from USB (am using WinToFlash to transfer image to USB)

Additionally, I am sure about it installing to the SATA drive rather than USB as I can get into the recovery console and navigate the C: drive as well as the W: drive (USB).

Cheers,
James

I was watching this string with some interest as I have the same 311c mini. I want to re-install the pre-loaded OS on this netbook, chiefly to get rid of all the HP garbage that came with it - on this stock 160Gb HDD, the OS and HP stuff takes 25% of HDD space. Just nonsense.

Anyway, this post doesn't seem to have moved on - I hope dodyjammer can up date us because I would love to know how it went.

One thing I note from the above string is the driver package he is installing. I'm not sure if this is the correct driver at the correct time in the re-install. I had previously asked HP to provide me with the correct nividia 10/100 ethernet driver as it wasn't listed on their site (same page as link used by James above). They came back to me as gave me this link:
http://www.nvidia.co...inxp_15.23.html

Whilst not the same date or exact size file as James' link, I'm left wondering if the chipset from James' link is either the correct driver at the correct time in the install process or if I've got a "red herring" from HP in that the link they've given me is indeed pretty much the same thing that is listed as their "chipset" driver (at James' link).
But I do note from James' text that the slipstreamed SATA driver he has installed ending in "46" isn't the same as the driver in the link I was given by HP (ending in "42") - don't know if 46 means a straight update or a different version for a different bit of kit.

I've been trying to re-install the installed OS from the C:\i386 folder on the HDD, because I don't have an external optical (and will not buy one - for now), and I also refuse to pay more money to HP for recovery discs. The i386 folder on my HDD doesn't have the winnt.sif file in it.
Things during the initial stages of install go great - i.e. initial prep to re-boot. When it does re-boot, system comes a to grinding halt and I get a BSOD:
stop: 0x0000007b (0xf78d2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
It doesn't say anymore than this - no text explaining what the potential problem is, just the usual "to prevent damage to your system" blurb - and the BSOD will stay there until I turn the machine off.
I'm not sure, but I think the system is wanting me to install some sort of SATA driver before it continues - and of course, I'm wondering if James' link is the answer or mine - but I'm just too reluctant to try either at the moment, hence I'm awaiting further reading - unless anyone can give a solution on here.

Thanks
Graham

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
Hello Graham,

welcome at MSFN Forums!
I am only able to help dodgyjammer and you, if I get the information regarding
a ) the exact nForce chipset of your Compaq 311c Mini and
b ) the SATA mode (IDE, AHCI or RAID) of the hdd, which has been automaticly set by the manufacturer within the BIOS..
Unfortunately HP resp. Compaq doesn't give any of these informations at their homepages, not even within the manual of your notebook/netbook.

I want to re-install the pre-loaded OS on this netbook, chiefly to get rid of all the HP garbage that came with it - on this stock 160Gb HDD, the OS and HP stuff takes 25% of HDD space. Just nonsense

Before you are going to format the hdd, you should run the Device Manager and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - the "SCSI & RAID Controllers" section.
Questions:
1. Which Controller names do you see?
2. Which are the HardwareID's of these Controllers (right click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's)?.

One thing I note from the above string is the driver package he is installing. I'm not sure if this is the correct driver at the correct time in the re-install. I had previously asked HP to provide me with the correct nividia 10/100 ethernet driver as it wasn't listed on their site (same page as link used by James above). They came back to me as gave me this link:

Whilst not the same date or exact size file as James' link, I'm left wondering if the chipset from James' link is either the correct driver at the correct time in the install process or if I've got a "red herring" from HP in that the link they've given me is indeed pretty much the same thing that is listed as their "chipset" driver (at James' link).
But I do note from James' text that the slipstreamed SATA driver he has installed ending in "46" isn't the same as the driver in the link I was given by HP (ending in "42") - don't know if 46 means a straight update or a different version for a different bit of kit.

There are 2 different nForce chipset driver sets offered by NVIDIA: the set 15.23 and the set 15.25. Both sets do support the same nForce chipsets and contain the same nForce Ethernet Driver (v67.89), but different nForce SATA/RAID Drivers (v10.3.0.42 and v10.3.0.46). Since the set 15.25 is the newer one, I would prefer this set, if the nForce chipset of your system should be supported by these special sets (i am not sure about that).

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

GrahamH

GrahamH
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 31-January 11

Hello Graham,

welcome at MSFN Forums!
I am only able to help dodgyjammer and you, if I get the information regarding
a ) the exact nForce chipset of your Compaq 311c Mini and
b ) the SATA mode (IDE, AHCI or RAID) of the hdd, which has been automaticly set by the manufacturer within the BIOS..
Unfortunately HP resp. Compaq doesn't give any of these informations at their homepages, not even within the manual of your notebook/netbook.

I want to re-install the pre-loaded OS on this netbook, chiefly to get rid of all the HP garbage that came with it - on this stock 160Gb HDD, the OS and HP stuff takes 25% of HDD space. Just nonsense

Before you are going to format the hdd, you should run the Device Manager and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - the "SCSI & RAID Controllers" section.
Questions:
1. Which Controller names do you see?
2. Which are the HardwareID's of these Controllers (right click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's)?.

There are 2 different nForce chipset driver sets offered by NVIDIA: the set 15.23 and the set 15.25. Both sets do support the same nForce chipsets and contain the same nForce Ethernet Driver (v67.89), but different nForce SATA/RAID Drivers (v10.3.0.42 and v10.3.0.46). Since the set 15.25 is the newer one, I would prefer this set, if the nForce chipset of your system should be supported by these special sets (i am not sure about that).

Regards
Fernando

Fernando

Thanks for the welcome.

In answer to your questions:

a. nvidia chipset – Don’t know how to accurately report this, so did a Google search and used PC Wizard. It reports my chipset as: nVidia nForce 730i
b. SATA mode – don’t know. As alluded to by James, the HP BIOS provided by HP is pants. No where in the BIOS does it even mention SATA. If you can tell me how to find this out another way, I will try.

1. Controller details: nividia nForce Serial ATA Controller
2. Controller Hardware Id:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB9&SUBSYS_3651103C&REV_81
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB9&SUBSYS_3651103C
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB9&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB9&CC_0106

Thanks
Graham

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
Hello Graham,

thanks for your detailed answers.
Here are my conclusions of your dates:
  • Your Compac 311C mini has an MCP79 chipset and the SATA hdd is running in AHCI mode.
  • Neither NVIDIA's 15.23 nor the 15.25 set do support your system, because the needed HardwareID's of the MCP79 NVIDIA nForce SATA Controller is missing.
This is what I recommend to do:
  • Create a bootable XP CD with the suitable nForce AHCI driver according to chapter B of my guide (= start post of this thread).
  • Use a clean Windows XP SP2 or SP3 version as source.
  • Just integrate the unzipped content of the modified 32bit nForce SATA_IDE driver folder v11.1.0.43 as textmode driver. You can get the driver package from >here<.
  • Let nLite burn the image directly.
  • Once Windows XP is installed, you can run the installer of my 32bit "Actual nForce Driverpack" v8.5. You will find the download link at the buttom of my guide.
Good luck!

Regards
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 31 January 2011 - 12:21 PM.

My current system:
My old system:

GrahamH

GrahamH
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 31-January 11
Thanks Fernando,

Looks like I've got some reading to do...

I don't have Windows XP SP2 disc, so was planning to use the i386 folder on C:\ and given I don't have an external CD for the HP mini, I was going to do an install from a USB stick.

I'm pretty sure if I look around I can find the answer, but essentially I shall follow your guide and others to set up a bootable USB stick.

One thing that puzzles me - how is it that HP emailed me the link they did (for the serial number of the system I have) which was supposed to have the correct chipset package (inc the "correct" AHCI driver), and how is that on their website they have another chipset package (inc the "correct" AHCI driver) based on my system details - both of which are different AHCI drivers from the one you recommend?

Also, and finally, when it comes to installing all the drivers on my laptop, I'm going to have to install one of the HP recommended chipset packages - will this create any difficulties given I will install the driver you recommend?
regards

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

I don't have Windows XP SP2 disc, so was planning to use the i386 folder on C:\ and given I don't have an external CD for the HP mini, I was going to do an install from a USB stick.

Why don't you just borrow a Windows XP CD with integrated SP3 from a friend just for using it as source for the creation of an actual XP image with the integrated correct AHCI driver? Later, when you do the XP installation (from an USB stick for example), you have to enter your CD Key, so I don't see any licence problem.

One thing that puzzles me - how is it that HP emailed me the link they did (for the serial number of the system I have) which was supposed to have the correct chipset package (inc the "correct" AHCI driver), and how is that on their website they have another chipset package (inc the "correct" AHCI driver) based on my system details - both of which are different AHCI drivers from the one you recommend?

This should be asked the HP Support, not me.
You can easily verify what I have written: Download the nForce driver sets 15.23 or 15.25 HP is recommending to install, then open the IDE\WinXP\SATA_IDE folder and look for the file named NVGTS.INF. Then open this file with the Editor and search for "DEV_0AB9". You will not find it.

Also, and finally, when it comes to installing all the drivers on my laptop, I'm going to have to install one of the HP recommended chipset packages - will this create any difficulties given I will install the driver you recommend?

If you want to get Windows XP properly installed and running, you should not install any of the nForce chipset driver packages HP is recommending, unless the included NVGTS.INF contains the needed DEV_0AB9 DeviceID entry.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

GrahamH

GrahamH
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 31-January 11
Fernando

I am very grateful for your full reply.

To be open with you, in attempting to verify anything, I wouldn't have a clue if what I was looking at was right or wrong! But I appreciate you taking the time to explain stuff. Notwithstanding this, maybe the text below will give you more information which confirms your assessment.

Since I last wrote, I've been digging around in another folder on my C:\ drive - it's called "SwSetup". I reckon HP have dropped all the drivers and bloatware in this folder as part of their system recovery offering. I see in "SwSetup" there is another folder called "HDD". In that folder are a number of files which are signed by nVidia and are version 10.3.0.46 (most of which are dll in different languages) - which I presume links into what you've been saying. I also note that there is a file called "txtsetup.oem" - which is mentioned on your first post.
I also find the nvgts.inf file in this folder, with the following entries (along with many others):

[NVIDIA.ntx86.6.0]

[NVIDIA]
%NVSTOR_DESC%=NVStor_Inst,PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AB9&CC_0106

[NVIDIA.ntx86]

So I would think - if it needed doing at all - that this confirms your view on which is the correct driver for my HDD. You are quite right - I should ask HP to explain, but I sense I would lose the argument quite quickly because I can't explain very well what this is all about!

As to getting another CD from someone else - that's just not going to happen. Most of the folk I know, know even less about PCs than I do - I'm usually their port of call for assistance. Almost without exception, they have systems with pre-installed software without an XP disc, or they use Vista - which I won't touch with a barge pole. So I'm going to use the i386 folder (if I can) which along with the SwSetup folder seems to suggest HP stuck everything I need on my PC to get it going again from "new" - but it's just up to me to find a way to do that, which is kind of what I'm doing.

Your advice re intalling the Chipset is well noted - thanks.

regards

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

This is exactly the line your nForce SATA AHCI Controller is needing to be supported by the driver.
The VendorID "VEN_10DE" means NVIDIA, the DeviceID "DEV_0AB9" means the nForce SATA Controller of any MCP79 chipset running in AHCI mode and the suffix "CC_106" is the AHCI mode specification to make sure, that the DeviceID is only valid with enabled AHCI (the suffix for non-AHCI SATA would be "CC_101", the suffix for RAID Controllers is "CC_104").
My current system:
My old system:

GrahamH

GrahamH
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 31-January 11

This is exactly the line your nForce SATA AHCI Controller is needing to be supported by the driver.
The VendorID "VEN_10DE" means NVIDIA, the DeviceID "DEV_0AB9" means the nForce SATA Controller of any MCP79 chipset running in AHCI mode and the suffix "CC_106" is the AHCI mode specification to make sure, that the DeviceID is only valid with enabled AHCI (the suffix for non-AHCI SATA would be "CC_101", the suffix for RAID Controllers is "CC_104").

Fernando

Well, thought I would get back to you to let you know how it's all gone. Rather well, I can say. After finding out how to "slipstream", make bootable USB sticks, using DBAN and initializing a disk etc etc., it seems my installation is at last going rather well. One in the eye for HP, I say - in that I'm not being relieved of more cash!

So, it's a big thank you to you for your help - and hope you can offer one more bit of advice!

I've installed all the drivers, except the chipset driver you advised not to install. Trouble is, I have no LAN (which I suspect is part of the chipset package pointed to me by HP) - so I'm wondering if you know where I can get this from?

regards

GrahamH

GrahamH
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 31-January 11
Not to worry - I just ran the 15.25 package and de-selected everything except the ethernet driver - all is well.

thanks again for your help.

regards
Graham

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

I've installed all the drivers, except the chipset driver you advised not to install. Trouble is, I have no LAN (which I suspect is part of the chipset package pointed to me by HP) - so I'm wondering if you know where I can get this from?

As I already have written: My recommendation for your system would have been my "Actual nForce Driverpack for XP v8.5". You can find the download link at the bottom of my guide (= start post of this thread).

Not to worry - I just ran the 15.25 package and de-selected everything except the ethernet driver - all is well.

The included nForce Ethernet driver v67.89 work, but they do not support the Gigabit LAN speed (up to 1.000 Mb/sec). That is why I have suggested to install my "Actual nForce Driverpack for XP".

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

wensh012

wensh012
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 12-June 11
good work ...

crazyal12

crazyal12
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 19-July 11
It wont let me integrate the sata_ide driver as a textmode driver, only a pnp driver (no option box comes up).

this is for nforce 430.

What should I do?

Thanks,

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ crayzal12:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

You are not able to integrate the SATA_IDE folder content as TEXTMODE driver, because it doesn't have a TXTSETUP.OEM file.
Since you neither have a LEGACY mode nForce chipset nor an AHCI capable hardware configuration, there is no need to integrate any nForce SATA_IDE driver folder.

Questions:
1. Why do you want to integrate the SATA_IDE driver at all?
2. Which SATA mode are you running (IDE or RAID)?
3. Which driver version did you take?
4. Have you tried to get Windows XP with integrated SP2 or SP3 installed without having integrated or loaded any nForce SATA driver?

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

crazyal12

crazyal12
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 19-July 11

@ crayzal12:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

You are not able to integrate the SATA_IDE folder content as TEXTMODE driver, because it doesn't have a TXTSETUP.OEM file.
Since you neither have a LEGACY mode nForce chipset nor an AHCI capable hardware configuration, there is no need to integrate any nForce SATA_IDE driver folder.

Questions:
1. Why do you want to integrate the SATA_IDE driver at all?
2. Which SATA mode are you running (IDE or RAID)?
3. Which driver version did you take?
4. Have you tried to get Windows XP with integrated SP2 or SP3 installed without having integrated or loaded any nForce SATA driver?

Regards
Fernando

Thanks,

1. Because the Windows XP SP2 disc will not recognise the SATA hard drive. (Hard drive works fine).
2. I am not sure, it is a laptop which gives no options in the BIOS to change SATA mode.
3. One from the nvidia website as I have no idea which one of yours to download.
4. The disc is a Windows XP SP2 disc, the problem is that it does not give me an option to do text mode in nlite.

BTW this is a compaq F500 laptop.

Thanks.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05

1. Because the Windows XP SP2 disc will not recognise the SATA hard drive. (Hard drive works fine).

Since the SATA Controllers of nForce 430 chipset systems do not support the "AHCI" mode, I suspect, that they have been set to "RAID" mode by default.

2. I am not sure, it is a laptop which gives no options in the BIOS to change SATA mode.

Are you sure about that?
Enter the BIOS and look for the "SATA Operations" settings. If you find them, choose "Raid Autodetect/ATA". After having done that, you should be able to get XP SP2 installed without having integrated or loaded any third party SATA driver.

3. One from the nvidia website as I have no idea which one of yours to download.

If you should not be able to change the SATA settings within the BIOS, I recommend to integrate just the SATARAID folder content of my nForce IDE driver package v9.99.09. That should work for your current RAID mode system.

4. The disc is a Windows XP SP2 disc, the problem is that it does not give me an option to do text mode in nlite.

As I already have written you have integrated the wrong driver folder (SATA_IDE instead of SATARAID)). The SATA Controllers of your HP notebook obviously have been set to RAID mode.by default.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

DBF68

DBF68
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11
I apologize if I'm posting this request for help in the wrong place. Since my problem seems to be a Fernando Specialty, this seemed to be the appropriate place to post. Let me know if I should have posted elsewhere.

Maybe I’m going about this OS build and install the wrong way. For some background info, I’ve been building PCs since 1996. So, I know my way around a computer. As for OS knowledge, I’m familiar with Windows beyond the basic user level, i.e. point and click. Even so, I’m really stumped as to why I’m having a problem getting nLite to work properly. It’s been a serious week of hell.

Attached is the Last Session file.

Let me know if you want the TXTSETUP.SIF too.

Problem: Nvidia SATA AHCI & RAID drivers will not load during OS textmode install

• Getting BSOD associated with OS install program not being able to find either nLite provided SATA AHCI or RAID drivers
• STOP 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFADF90A323C0, 0Xffffffffc0000034, 0x 16 0’s, 0x 16 0’s)

Using nLite 1.4.9.1 - Last build as of 2008.09.11

• OS build being saved on root of K: drive as file name WXPPx64_SP2_nLite.iso

Instead of using a CD-RW disc, I’m trying to install the ISO with my flash drive loaded only with manufacturer provided software. Why am I trying to use a flash drive? Well, of the five seldom used Memorex CD-RW discs I have, three separate ISO burn programs have found read errors on all five discs. So, rather than messing with old fashioned junk CD-RW media again, I thought I’d try using a bootable flash drive. Even so, maybe I’m doing something wrong.

• Flash Voyager 4GB USB Flash Drive SKU# CMFUSB2.0-4GB
• Formatted with Corsair provided “Ultimate Bootable USB Flash Drive” software
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=2619
o GRUB4DOS 2004-2009
o Syslinux 1994-2009
o Memtest86+ 2009
o FreeDOS
 COPYING
 fdboot.img
 grub.exe
 memtest86+-4.10.iso
 menu.lst
 pmagic-6.6.iso
 Readme.txt
 syslinux.cfg

Computer System Info:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Pro x64
• SP2 and all hotfixes up to date
• Dual-boot system along with WXPP x32

Motherboard: ASUS M3N-HT
• BIOS 2904 12-7-2009 (Most current - 3401 2011.04.29)
• MediaShield 10.x.x
• MCP = Northbridge & Southbridge in one 780a chip
• Using Nvidia 780a 15.57-nforce-novideodriver-winxp-64bit-international-whql drivers - 2011.05.02
• WinXP 64-bit nForce UDA driver package for C51M/MCP51, C55/MCP51, C72, C73, MCP77, and MCP79
o Ethernet Driver (v73.30) WHQL
o Network Management Tools (v73.25) "Sedona"
o SATAIDE Driver (v11.1.0.43) WHQL
o SATARAID Driver (v11.1.0.43) WHQL
o RAIDTOOL Application (v11.1.0.43) WHQL
o SMBUS Driver (v4.79) WHQL
o SMU Driver (v2.08) WHQL
o Installer (v8.36)

Hard Drives: 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB drives in individual RAID Stripe Configuration per drive, not as RAID-0
2 Western Digital 120 GB & 160 GB drives set up as a RAID-1 mirrored array for backup and storage

Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8 GHz (Not OC’ed)

Memory: 4GB of OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066 DC (5 5 5 15 20 2T) (Not OC’ed)

Video: MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (Not OC’ed)

Audio: SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Network Adapter: Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter

USB flash drive install methods tried without success

• Read more than one version of nLite user instructions/manuals.
• Clicked on each nLite help icon to read information concerning that program page OS build step.
• Downloaded and tried using CDImage.exe for ISO building instead of using default Mkisofs.exe program.
• Tried building ISO image with ImgBurn and vaguely remember same BSOD or Grub4DOS saying invalid image.

• Prior to trying any new nForce drivers, deleted old nLite OS build and created a new one.
• Tried older Nvidia nForce Driver Version 15.24 (15.25 “no video driver included” set).
• Tried older Asus Nvidia NVIDIAnForceMCP72_Chipsetpackage_V1808_XP drivers.
• Moved Nvidia nForce drivers to root of K: drive in case nLite had a problem with long folder path.
o H:\Drivers-Progs-Updates\Drivers\Nvidia\nForce\15.57-nforce-novideodriver-winxp-64bit-international-whql
• Created an nForce driver only build sans SP2 integration and PE tweaking.

• Searched nLite forum and Fernando’s post for similar problems to find solutions.
• Read Fernando’s Nvidia SATA/RAID driver post and followed the quick instructions.
• Read the long detailed info in Fernando’s Nvidia SATA/RAID driver post to see if I missed anything.
• Downloaded and tried Nvidia SATA/RAID drivers Fernando provided via Mediafire.
o 64bit nForce SATARAID drivers v11.1.0.43 WHQL for XPx64

• Used Comodo Internet Security to scan nLite OS folder build ARMPXOEM_EN_WXPP_x64_Disc.
• Set the Comodo Internet Security settings for AV and Defense to disabled.
• Uninstalled Comodo Internet Security program entirely.

• Have tried to create a service pack free barebones build with just Nvidia nForce drivers.
• Removed old SCSI support drivers in Component screen as nLite help recommended.

• Tried to create a WXPP x64 nLite build on the dual-boot WXPP x32 OS.
• Could only create an nForce driver build sans SP2 slipstream because WXPP SP2 x64 is 64-bit.
• Created an nForce driver only build sans PE tweaking.

• Tried installing nLite OS builds with all drives powered and using RAID controller.
• Tried installing nLite OS builds with only the 2 stripped Seagate drives powered and using RAID controller.
o nForce RAID drivers rolled into nLite OS build
• Tried installing nLite OS builds with only 2 Seagate drives powered and using AHCI controller.
o nForce AHCI drivers rolled into nLite OS build

• Oddly enough, a WinSetup-1-0-beta7 flash drive install of an nLite WXPP x64 build works without a BSOD.
o Drawback: 7700+ files from the ARMPXOEM_EN_WXPP_x64_Disc folder are slowly loaded to flash drive.
o If nLite ISOs won’t work, would love to find a way to make a WinSetup-1-0-beta7 compatible ISO.

Since it's been a whole week that I've been working on this problem, I might have forgotten some other things I've tried too.

What else might I try to get things to work?

Thanks.

Attached Files

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05

I apologize if I'm posting this request for help in the wrong place.

There is a Install Windows from USB section too. http://www.msfn.org/...ndows-from-usb/

I’m trying to install the ISO with my flash drive loaded only with manufacturer provided software.
Flash Voyager 4GB USB Flash Drive SKU# CMFUSB2.0-4GB

BSOD 0x7B refers to boot drive too. That's the USB Flash Drive.

Do you like to copy a ISO file to USB Flash Drive?
OS manufacturer provided software dosn't support this. There is no default ISO file driver.
This task is impossible to solve.

Contrary there are third party open source ISO file driver.
And some Flash firmware can simulate a USB CD-ROM drive.
Read the above link.

Oddly enough, a WinSetup-1-0-beta7 flash drive install of an nLite WXPP x64 build works without a BSOD.
Drawback: 7700+ files from the ARMPXOEM_EN_WXPP_x64_Disc folder are slowly loaded to flash drive.

OS manufacturer provided software does find single files at a USB Flash Drive.
That's possible within OS manufacturer provided software.

Edited by cdob, 05 September 2011 - 10:25 PM.

DBF68

DBF68
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 03-September 11

I apologize if I'm posting this request for help in the wrong place.

There is a Install Windows from USB section too. http://www.msfn.org/...ndows-from-usb/

I saw that section prior to posting here and looked at it a little. Rather than take off in some other direction for another week of frustration, I thought I'd start asking questions here. Still, I'll take a look at that section too. It seems some people have had success.

I’m trying to install the ISO with my flash drive loaded only with manufacturer provided software.
Flash Voyager 4GB USB Flash Drive SKU# CMFUSB2.0-4GB

BSOD 0x7B refers to boot drive too. That's the USB Flash Drive.

After the fact, I wondered if those BSODs might have been due to going through the USB subsystem vs. the controller subsystem. So, it made sense that I'd be getting those BSOD. Although, I got the impression that if the bootable USB software provided by my flash drive maker could load ISOs, and nLite could pack up current SATA drivers into the ISO, then the install program should have found them, installed them, and let me be on my way. Since the setup program installed USB drivers, I didn't think I'd have a problem with USB or SATA driver detection. Even so, I guess there's more to the process than I realize.

Do you like to copy a ISO file to USB Flash Drive?
OS manufacturer provided software dosn't support this. There is no default ISO file driver.
This task is impossible to solve.

Contrary there are third party open source ISO file driver.
And some Flash firmware can simulate a USB CD-ROM drive.
Read the above link.

I thought I'd give it a try since there are implications other people have got it to work for them. From what I've read, some people have even been able to re-purpose the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool for XP installs. Although, it doesn't always work. There's something about making sure the ISO image is 9660 and UDF compliant that's worked for some people, but I didn't have any luck.

Oddly enough, a WinSetup-1-0-beta7 flash drive install of an nLite WXPP x64 build works without a BSOD.
Drawback: 7700+ files from the ARMPXOEM_EN_WXPP_x64_Disc folder are slowly loaded to flash drive.

OS manufacturer provided software does find single files at a USB Flash Drive.
That's possible within OS manufacturer provided software.

Maybe the USB install forum has the answers. Worst case scenario, I'll just rely on WinSetup. Worst-Worst case scenario, I'll go buy another 5-pack of CD-RW media, but a better brand. ;)

Usually, I create an OS build by installing service packs and hotfixes, drivers, software, tweak everything, and then create an image of the OS for storage. Then, if I need to blow out an OS install, I just backup my critical files, and use the Acronis software to install the fresh image. After going through all this rigmarole of trying to create a custom image with nLite and install the ISO via USB drive, I might just go back to the tried and true method. :}

Edited by DBF68, 06 September 2011 - 07:17 AM.

Guest_SwissReplicaWatches_*

Guest_SwissReplicaWatches_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
I have tried this with the SATA drivers from Nvidia Release 6.53, it worked , Motherboard is an A8N-Sli Deluxe. just needed to change nvatabus.inf to nvraid.inf and it worked without a hitch

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ SwissReplicaWatches:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I have tried this with the SATA drivers from Nvidia Release 6.53, it worked , Motherboard is an A8N-Sli Deluxe. just needed to change nvatabus.inf to nvraid.inf and it worked without a hitch

Is this an answer to any question/ask for help or just an information for users with an nForce4 RAID system?
Please explain what you have done:
1. Which nForce IDE driver subfolder (SATA_IDE or SATARAID) did you integrate?
2. What means, that you changed nvatabus.inf to nvraid.inf? Did you replace the nvatabus.inf by the nvraid.inf one or did you just rename it?

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

topcat989

topcat989
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 23-December 03

@ SwissReplicaWatches:
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Is this an answer to any question/ask for help or just an information for users with an nForce4 RAID system?
Please explain what you have done:
1. Which nForce IDE driver subfolder (SATA_IDE or SATARAID) did you integrate?
2. What means, that you changed nvatabus.inf to nvraid.inf? Did you replace the nvatabus.inf by the nvraid.inf one or did you just rename it?

Regards
Fernando

I'd like to know as well, I have an A8n32-SLI Deluxe mobo as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN