I incorporated some of your tweaks in my package: fix Orca filenames truncated to 8.3, look for orca at the default location, add non-recursive option to Search functions, auto generate files and folders, md5 update to sort2cabs.js. Nice job! Thanks.
I succeeded in slipstreaming SP2 and all updates into Office 2003 AIO CD using the "beef stew" method and still fits on a single CD. I won't remember how to do this next time so I automated as much as possible.
- added a function to modify Media table for Infopath KB920102
- Project has two unique files (README.HTM, OCLNCORE.OPC) that are backed up and restored, the rest are overwritten when copied over.
- My setup.exe files are all identical so overwriting them was ok.
- All original setup.ini files are copied from CD to HD at the end. This restores personalization:
FYI, Beyond Compare
is an excellent GUI tool for comparing files and folders during testing.
To recap what's needed:
- ORCA (try Shark's file repository
- MSI 3.1 installed
- WSH 5.6 installed
- Office 2003 AIO CD
- appropriate administrative updates
- revised scripts attached to this post (beefstew.zip)
- md5sum.exe and makecab.exe go in your %WINDIR%\System32 folder (I used the versions at Reduce Size of Your 5 in 1 Office 2003 SP1/SP2 CD by 36MB
(optional) I modified sort2cabs.js to use cabarc if found (for better compression), otherwise makecab and settings.ddf will be used like Marek722's original.
NOTE: This method requires that the AIO CD stay in the drive throughout the whole process.
1. Install Orca.
2. Store all extracted admin updates (*.MSP) to folders on hard disk.
3. Extract the updates.cmd file from the attached beefstew.zip and modify it according to the updates you are applying. (I painfully tried every msp on every msi to see what was applicable the first time around)
- modify the path to msp files to where you store your admin updates (*.MSP)
- modify the PIDKEY="" with your value
- rem the pause statement at the end if you want fully unattended operation
4. Install AutoIt v3.2 and compile Update_msi_tables.au3
5. Create a working directory like x:\office2003\sort\ and put the following scripts there:
- sort2cabs.js (from beefstew.zip)
- settings.ddf (from beefstew.zip)
- OfficeAIO.au3 (from beefstew.zip) - copycabs.cmd (from beefstew.zip)
- updates.cmd (from step 3)
- Update_msi_tables.exe (from step 4)
6. Double-click OfficeAIO.au3 to start the process.
The OfficeAIO.au3 and sort2cabs.js scripts perform their activities relative to the folder they are in. OfficeAIO.au3 asks you for the source CD drive of your AIO CD and then proceeds to perform all of Marek722's steps except writing a new CD. There's a bit of error checking and there's a progress bar for activities that take a long time so you won't think the script is hung. It has message boxes at various steps along the way that you can comment out for fully unattended operation once you trust the script is doing its job.
You may need to tweak the scripts for your own situation as quirks pop up.
Attached are the scripts I used (ran overnight successfully). I hope you find this useful.
Enjoy.EDIT Oct 5, 2006:
Modified OfficeAIO.au3 to make it more universal for AIO or single App CD. Tested successfully on Proofing Tools CD. Also added function to modify the PTK Directory.idt table per Veger's note, added PTKupdates.cmd to perform the following PTK updates:
ptk-KB913571: PTKff.mspDarn! Fixed a bug with my Orca search, so replaced zip file again. Sorry to those who downloaded before this edit.EDIT: Nov 1, 2006 (major fixes)
- added two more hooks in sort2cabs.js
1. Before creating a CAB file, it looks for a cmd file for that CAB file and runs the cmd file before creating the new CAB. Also modified OfficeAIO.au3 to create these cmd files to put the correct SETUP.INI file in SKU....CAB files and the correct OCLNCORE.OPC file in O9561....CAB files.
2. Before it calculates CAB MD5, looks for a file called copycabs.cmd and runs that cmd file to replace 11 Project Std CABs with equivalent Project Pro CABs. This reduces size of AIO CD by about 29 meg.- modified updates.cmd
file to get rid of MSP updates that are superceded by more recent updates, included PTK updates and is now universal i.e. works on single CD or AIO CD.- modified Update_msi_tables.au3
script to import up to 7 tables instead of 4, added a couple of message boxes for troubleshooting, reduced sleep times to speed up the process, added a while loop to make sure the Import Window is active before selecting files so it doesn't miss any on a slow PC, added a ContinueLoop statement so it won't get stuck if the tables folder doesn't exist.- modified OfficeAIO.au3
script to properly backup and restore README.HTM and OCLNCORE.OPC to the proper applications, added a section to put the correct SETUP.INI file in the proper SKU....CAB file and the correct OCLNCORE.OPC file in O9561....CAB files, completely changed the fix for Infopath KB920103 to modify File.idt instead of Media.idt - old method made incorrect changes to Media.idt, modified the command that runs sort2cabs.js so the output gets logged to file for troubleshooting, changed some text in message boxes.
Edited by beeker, 01 November 2006 - 07:05 PM.