Drivers from CD: Simple Method

a06lp

$WinNT.sif$ is used to scan for the dospath=?:\ in the [Data] section. However since no quotes can be used in the Arguments section we have to scan the whole file. Pretty much information you got there :)

Soo, should i add a dospath=<cd-drive>:\ in [Data]?

No you shouldn't. It's generated automaticly during Windows Setup. It is very bad if your unattended cd doesn't work properly when you change your hardware configuration. For example installing a Multiple format card-reader changes CD-rom driveletters on Windows Setup

There was a problem when I tested the new method. Here's a new line to test:

I386\WinNT.sif

[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram = ".\system32\cmd.exe"
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I$OEM$) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J Autoit3.exe presetup.au3)))"

:hello:

Edited by hp38guser

There was a problem when I tested the new method. Here's a new line to test:

I386\WinNT.sif

[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram = ".\system32\cmd.exe"
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I$OEM$) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J Autoit3.exe presetup.au3)))"

:hello:

have you tested THIS one? is it confirmed to work?

I tested using the RUN-section in Start Menu. I found out the AutoIt file did execute but could not find it's Workingdir and hang. I now use the start command to specify the workingdir and so it works. Could you change the Startpost a06lp?

I tested using the RUN-section in Start Menu.

it works. Could you change the Startpost a06lp?

I will do a real-world full test sometimes in the next couple of days. If that works, I'll update the first post.

Updated first post.

10/11/05: New upload again. This time, the Drivers.au3 file is altered again, and the code to be entered into winnt.sif has been changed. This entire method runs from CD (no files copied over!) This is all from this post. Again- I personally tested this method (as has hp38guser) and it works!

For those of you who have been following this thread, the method is the one posted on the previos page by hp38guser (here). However, I call the autoit file Drivers.au3 (as opposed to presetup.au3) to avoid confusion. But all proper changes are in the first post.

Follow the directions in the first post, and it will work perfectly. (I've tested it.)

Edited by a06lp

Hello,

i find your method very cool but i have a question about the use of your method with a multiboot DVD, here is my DVD structure:

├───HOM1

├───HOM2

├───HOM3

│.......├───winnt.sif

├───PRO1

├───PRO2

├───PRO3

│.......├───winnt.sif

├───SETUP

│.......├───XPPRO

│................├───$OEM$

│................├───i386

│.......├───XPHOME

│................├───$OEM$

│................├───i386

├───WPI

│.......├───DRIVERS

│................├───Monitor

│................├───nVidia

│................├───Printer

I tested your method with the files dated from 08th october and it worked perfectly, but i'm unsure if the new files dated from 11th will work on my config, i there a way to adapt the command line in winnt.sif to my config?

Thanks for your help

I tested your method with the files dated from 08th october and it worked perfectly, but i'm unsure if the new files dated from 11th will work on my config, i there a way to adapt the command line in winnt.sif to my config?

Post the $WINNT$.INF file found in %SystemRoot%\System32 of your above running config in order to check the dospath value. Don't forget to replace ProductKey with xxxxx.

hello bilou,

here is the dospath in the file:

dospath=G:\SETUP\XPPRO\

Ok I think there is no way to make the method dated from october the 11th work with my multiboot DVD, that not a big problem because the method form 8th october works...

Thanks for your answer.

Off course the new method works. You just have to modify the driver.au3 a bit:

driver.au3

ProcessSetPriority("setup.exe",0)

Run(@ScriptDir & "\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe")

ProcessWait("WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe")

RunWait(@ScriptDir & "\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe ..\..\WPI\Drivers")

ProcessClose("WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe")

ProcessSetPriority("setup.exe",2)

Use the ..\ to go up one level in the directory structure. The default location is the $OEM$ directory.

Don't ever change the WinNT.sif. It takes the dospath Windows uses by default :)

Is there any possible way to do this, and still have access to the repair function with a SATA hard drive? I have an Asus A8V deluxe, and am using the promise 378 controller in IDE mode, and would like to be able to boot off the cd but still have access to the repair function. I have used xpcreate, and get a disk that access my SATA drive but I cannot use the repair installation function. Does anyone have any feedback on this issue?

Thanks.