Drivers from CD: Simple Method

a06lp

Meaby I was wrong with the ..\ thingy.

Can you try the following:

driver.au3

ProcessSetPriority("setup.exe",0)

Run(@ScriptDir & "\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe")

ProcessWait("WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe")

RunWait(@ScriptDir & "\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe ..\..\..\WPI\Drivers")

ProcessClose("WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe")

ProcessSetPriority("setup.exe",2)

Or if you want to test on a installed system:

open cmd.exe. Browse to the SETUP\XPPRO\$OEM$ dir and run the following:

SetupCopyOEMInf.exe ..\..\..\WPI\Drivers

I still think it should work this way.

Just droping a quick note in here. I made a post over in the BTS driver section here : http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=58145 . Perhaps the AutoIT method crew can browse it and perhaps use the same suggestion that I made to BTS.

I'm not trying to double post on purpose, so forgive me if I am. I just attempting to get as much feedback as I can.

@nite0859:

It's kinda off-topic.

This topic is not making driver packs - it's to provide a METHOD to install drivers you ALREADY have.

BTS can decide for himself what to do with your post - although get the feeling that his pack is pretty inclusive already...

Is there any possible way to do this, and still have access to the repair function with a SATA hard drive? I have an Asus A8V deluxe, and am using the promise 378 controller in IDE mode, and would like to be able to boot off the cd but still have access to the repair function. I have used xpcreate, and get a disk that access my SATA drive but I cannot use the repair installation function. Does anyone have any feedback on this issue?

Thanks.

You can use this driver method only for PNP-devices. However it's possible to use WinNT.sif and keep the Repair functionality by not specifying a [unattended] section in WinNT.sif. This will make the TEXTSETUP attended, but keep the GUI part of the setup unattended

:)

I've tested it 2 weeks ago - it worked far, far from perfect - ideed, far from good!

I combine usually 10 - 50 inf files(drivers for the same class, e.g. chipsets, nic etc.) into one subdirectory(audio in 5 subdir beause of filename conflict). With method 1 it works perfectly. But with this AutoIt method, it took more time to register all the inf file on the cd than the method 1 to copy all the files from cd onto hdd, much worse, 20%-30% of inf file ware not accepted - so

As long as it not works perfectly, it is useless - It takes also more time for the Installation.

hey ppl,

this method works great! I've only 1 problem and i've no idea to fix it.

At 39 minutes remaining the autoit script runs and after that hardware is detected i pressume. All hardware is detected, except my monitor. I'm working on a notebook and the regular plug a play monitor should be installed. Setup however comes up with the "new hardware found" screen and asks to search to search for drivers on the internet. Even after searching for drivers manually it doesnt find anything.

When i loggon to windows the first time, the plug en play monitor is found.

Any ideas why setup doesn't find the plug and play monitor and how to fix this?

btw .. all manual drivers for my notebook i copied in the drivers folder where installed without problems

Edited by erik1983

@erik1983:

I have no idea. I have a laptop, and have used this method countless times without problems.

I have my Display Drivers on my CD in the Drivers folder.

My laptop is a Toshiba - what do you use? are the drivers in the right place?

I've tested it 2 weeks ago - it worked far, far from perfect - ideed, far from good!

I combine usually 10 - 50 inf files(drivers for the same class, e.g. chipsets, nic etc.) into one subdirectory(audio in 5 subdir beause of filename conflict). With method 1 it works perfectly. But with this AutoIt method, it took more time to register all the inf file on the cd than the method 1 to copy all the files from cd onto hdd, much worse, 20%-30% of inf file ware not accepted - so

As long as it not works perfectly, it is useless - It takes also more time for the Installation.

To save some time copying you could compress your drivers using the Driver Compressor Tool.

However I may have found the solution :)

EDIT:

Drivers.au3

$list = ProcessList("setup.exe")
$setuppid = $list[1][1]
Run(@ScriptDir&"\pausep.exe "&$setuppid)
Run(@ScriptDir & "\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe")
RunWait(@ScriptDir & "\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe Drivers")
Run(@ScriptDir&"\pausep.exe "&$setuppid&" /r")

You need pausep.exe. Place this file also in the $oem$ directory

Now the only thing we need to do is combine:

pausep.exe

SetupCopyOEMInf.exe

WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe

into a single application :hello:

pausep_demo.zip

Edited by hp38guser

Okay, I will begin to test this method !

Just one question, it's possible to execute the script @ T-12 ?

In fact, when the network is okay, beacause, I would like to search drivers on the network ... good idea no ?

I may have found the solution

You need pausep.exe.

First of all, the current first-post method works fine for me...

Those who have problems: it's caused by having too many drivers, so setup continues without finishing the scan? [Am I correct that this is the problem??]

Second, hp38guser:

Are you saying pausep.exe (along with the modified autoit script) solved this problem that I just mentioned?

Also, is this pausep.exe a full version or a demo?

(and can you send it to me so I can test it, and update the first post?)

free sysinternals' PsSuspend included inside PsTools? http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsSuspend.html

Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %I IN (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\$WINNT$.INF) DO (FOR %J IN (%I$OEM$) DO (IF EXIST %J (start /min /D%J Autoit3.exe Drivers.au3)))"

using DetachedProgram to scan dospath should consider a hack, tho it works currently, it may not perm.

i love Pryon's SetupCopyOEMInf.exe :D

maybe i should modify my Detached.cmd with PsTools into:

@ECHO OFF
.\PsSuspend.exe setup.exe
.\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe
::rem extracting drivers archiver to hd, optional
::rem .\7za.exe x -y -o"%SystemDrive%\Drivers" ".\Drivers.7z"
.\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe Drivers
.\PsSuspend.exe -r setup.exe

save another 118,272(AutoIt3.exe) - 31,232(upx -9 PsSuspend.exe) = 87,040 bytes :D

WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe should PsKill after T-13?

if SetupCopyOEMInf.exe accepts more paths, then i'll change to SetupCopyOEMInf.exe Drivers "%SystemDrive%\Drivers", fits on both [drivers on cd] and [drivers extract to hd].

Edited by idle.newbie

I have WatchDriverSigningPolicy only run while SetupCopyOEMInf.exe is processing the drivers. Meaby it's completely unnecessary. I don't know

However thanks for PsSuspend! They release so much I overlooked this :D

Tested PsSuspend a bit and it seems to work better than PauseP. Try VirtualDub for example, suspending while playing a video will no longer crash the program :)

drivers.cmd

@echo off
pssuspend.exe setup.exe
start watchdriversigningpolicy.exe
setupcopyoeminf.exe Drivers
pskill.exe -t watchdriversigningpolicy.exe
pssuspend.exe -r setup.exe
exit

Or if you prefer AutoIT:

drivers.au3

Run(@ScriptDir&"\pssuspend.exe setup")
Run(@ScriptDir&"\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe")
RunWait(@ScriptDir&"\SetupCopyOEMInf.exe "&@ScriptDir&"\Drivers")
Run(@ScriptDir&"\pssuspend.exe -r setup")

Edited by hp38guser